Photo

How to remove a state inspection sticker?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BCPD199

BCPD199

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 373 posts
  • Joined 13-July 07
  • Region:South Atlantic

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

Does anybody know how to remove (without damaging it) a New Jersey inspection sticker? I brought my Shelby to DMV to get an inspection sticker. While another employee was talking to me about the car, the inspector slaps the sticker on the windshield. The only way the sticker could of been put on more crooked is if he put it on upside down. :banghead: How can I remove the sticker to straighten it? There is definitely a way to do it. I had the windshield in my Marauder replaced and they swapped over the sticker. It looks perfect. Of course the glass company won't tell me how they do it. Anybody know? This crooked sticker is driving me NUTS! and it's probaly costing me 2-3 horsepower too! :hysterical:

#2 OFFLINE   JimC

JimC

SnakeBite

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,846 posts
  • Joined 28-September 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Life Family friends. Fast cars, Good music, Good times. Fine foods-creating new recipes & BBQ. Spending time at the lake, in the forest, Shooting, hiking.

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:46 AM

Does anybody know how to remove (without damaging it) a New Jersey inspection sticker? I brought my Shelby to DMV to get an inspection sticker. While another employee was talking to me about the car, the inspector slaps the sticker on the windshield. The only way the sticker could of been put on more crooked is if he put it on upside down. :banghead: How can I remove the sticker to straighten it? There is definitely a way to do it. I had the windshield in my Marauder replaced and they swapped over the sticker. It looks perfect. Of course the glass company won't tell me how they do it. Anybody know? This crooked sticker is driving me NUTS! and it's probaly costing me 2-3 horsepower too! :hysterical:

Never tried to remove one of them without ruining it, never cared.

Here is how I remove those FUG UGLY sticker on the visors.
Use a good blow dryer - heat up one corner only, start lifting it very slowly and carefully pulling it up a little at a time. Do not try to force it off or tug on it any thing other then gently or you may rip it and or distort it.

Since its on your windshield you can try some lighter fluid or goo remover to help soften the glue as you peel it back.
Yes, it will be hot on your fingers, I find that help to prevent me from pulling to hared and starching the visor material or in your case ripping the sticker.

(Maybe even try a combo of blow dryer, lighter fluid and a razor)

You may have a problem getting it back on after its removed, you will need to glue it back on. Cut a piece of plastic food wrap the size of the sticker, apply glue of choice on sticker place sticker on windshield, place plastic wrap on top of sticker, then use some duck tape over the sticker to hold it in place, till it dries.

This is my best guess, hope it helps.

I would first try going back to that DMV and talking to the office manager. Explain the situation and ask for a new sticker, so you can place it on the windshield correctly.
02/16/07 Built at Auto Alliance International
Convertible - Hardtop
07/20/08 Shelby Automotive Super Snake Conversion: CSM #07SS0085

SnakeBite

Posted Image

Tuning by: Lund Racing. Tune Install, Analysis & Dyno's by Advanced Engineering Development (AED)
Engine & Drive-line Assembled, Modified & Fitted by: Santos Ford
Custom Fabrication: David's Racing
Modification and Service by: C&J Auto

Does anyone really know when all the madness ends? When is enough is enough?

With in the Fellowship of all car enthusiasts, there is a need for speed that cannot be denied, cannot be contained and will never be satisfied.
We will continue to improve and refine, pushing forward in relentless effort to redefine limits beyond expectation.
In the world of the true car enthusiast, There is no such belief that it can't be done, only the belief that "If you can imagine it, you can make it happen"
JRC

#3 OFFLINE   shelbymotorsports

shelbymotorsports

SAI Registry Supervisor

• 6,672 posts
  • Joined 12-November 07
  • Region:Decline

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:59 AM

Hair dryer or heat gun with a plastic cooking spatula will do the trick.

Steve

Register your Shelby at: Shelby American Registry

Order your SAI Registry Certificate at: Shelby Store

PM's turned OFF. Email me at: StevenT@ShelbyAmerican.com

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   BCPD199

BCPD199

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 373 posts
  • Joined 13-July 07

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:53 AM

This is my best guess, hope it helps.

The problem is I can't guess. If you do it wrong, it says void on it. I was hoping somebody here would have an in with a windshield repair place. When they did my Marauder, they swapped over the inspection sticker and it looks like it's been there since new. Problem is, the glass place won't divulge their secret.

#5 OFFLINE   JimC

JimC

SnakeBite

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,846 posts
  • Joined 28-September 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Life Family friends. Fast cars, Good music, Good times. Fine foods-creating new recipes & BBQ. Spending time at the lake, in the forest, Shooting, hiking.

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:37 AM

The problem is I can't guess. If you do it wrong, it says void on it. I was hoping somebody here would have an in with a windshield repair place. When they did my Marauder, they swapped over the inspection sticker and it looks like it's been there since new. Problem is, the glass place won't divulge their secret.

Got to be a liquid they use to cut the stickum glue loose so it does not split the sticker and cause the void to show up. Or you can partially pull it off then go to the DMV and request a new sticker because somone may have trid to remove the sticker on your car.
02/16/07 Built at Auto Alliance International
Convertible - Hardtop
07/20/08 Shelby Automotive Super Snake Conversion: CSM #07SS0085

SnakeBite

Posted Image

Tuning by: Lund Racing. Tune Install, Analysis & Dyno's by Advanced Engineering Development (AED)
Engine & Drive-line Assembled, Modified & Fitted by: Santos Ford
Custom Fabrication: David's Racing
Modification and Service by: C&J Auto

Does anyone really know when all the madness ends? When is enough is enough?

With in the Fellowship of all car enthusiasts, there is a need for speed that cannot be denied, cannot be contained and will never be satisfied.
We will continue to improve and refine, pushing forward in relentless effort to redefine limits beyond expectation.
In the world of the true car enthusiast, There is no such belief that it can't be done, only the belief that "If you can imagine it, you can make it happen"
JRC

#6 OFFLINE   BCPD199

BCPD199

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 373 posts
  • Joined 13-July 07

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:28 AM

Got to be a liquid they use to cut the stickum glue loose so it does not split the sticker and cause the void to show up. Or you can partially pull it off then go to the DMV and request a new sticker because somone may have trid to remove the sticker on your car.

I think either one of your ways might be the way to go. I'll go back and speak to a supervisor. I'll explain to him that I'm nuts! And to keep my sanity, I need the sticker straightened out. It's not easy being anal retentive! Those here that are, know what I'm talking about.

Edited by BCPD199, 12 March 2008 - 11:16 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   VTWLKWY

VTWLKWY

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:48 PM

I think either one of your ways might be the way to go. I'll go back and speak to a supervisor. I'll explain to him that I'm nuts! And to keep my sanity, I need the sticker straightened out. It's not easy being anal retentive! Those here that are, know what I'm talking about.

cut the glass from around the sticker and apply to new winshield..

#8 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,617 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:04 PM

Why not just get back in line and tell them that it's not installed properly? Things should be aligned properly [Mr. Monk].
Cheers,
Tony

Motto: You can have fun going fast. ... but ... You don't have to go fast to have fun.

Current:
2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition, 650 RWHP, 600 FtLb torque.

Former:
CSX4005LA - Shelby Continuation Series Cobra. The most fun you can legally have, sitting in a chair, in public.
CSM08SGT2228 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, 5-speed, Kenne Bell S/C. Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation Gift at Barrett-Jackson 2009 Scottsdale
CSM08SGT2247 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, Automatic. Kenne Bell S/C installed. WHOOT!
Simple Mods: Electrochromic mirror with compass/temp/HomeLink, Ford HD Radio with iPod, lower billet grill insert, sequential tail lights.

#9 OFFLINE   x8ver

x8ver

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:06 PM

Yes, the profressional's use is STEAM for any sticker on glass mostly used to remove window tint. With inspection sticker hot steam will peel off leaving glue on sticker so you can replace again. This is also for window tint removes tint leaving no residue. Have patience wait till you hear crackling of glue it almost falls off by itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users