19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   falcongtho3

falcongtho3

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:04 PM

The car at the center of one of most bizzare and tragic stories of all time is now on display at a car museum in PA.
Although I do not live anywhere near the area, if there's any chance of me getting up there I will go see it.
It is the Cobra Daytona once owner by Phil Spector (yes, that Phil Spector), and is also the holder of a number of land speed records set at the Salt Flats driven by Craig Breedlove.
Anyone who is familiar with the car knows it was stored away for many years in a rental storage unit, and Spector had even had '427' painted on the door, even though it was always a 289 powered car, as were the other 5 Daytona Coupes. The lone 427 Coupe project would not be completed for many years.

http://www.simeonefo...ite/?page_id=17
'03 Mach #13

I know, I know, I said #16 before, but that's what they told me. Now it's 13. Is it too late to send it back?

#2 OFFLINE   RogerS

RogerS

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Northeast Region
  • 5,172 posts
  • Joined 07-April 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Interests:CSX

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:06 AM

I've read the story. Quite an interesting history. It was a great read.

"If you don't go do what you wanna do, you're just bullshitting yourself." Carroll Shelby

2012 Shelby GT 500 Grabber Blue

2013 Ford Focus ST Black

#3 OFFLINE   06VistaBlueGT

06VistaBlueGT

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • Joined 07-April 06

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:58 AM

Funny you should post about the Cobra. I just visited the collection a few weeks ago, and have ALOT of pictures of CSX2287 as well as alot of other AMAZING cars in the collection. Just gotta resize them, and get time to post. If I have time after work tonight, I'll post them up. The collection belongs to a very respected neurosurgeon, Dr. Fred Simeone. He has over 60 historic race cars in his collection and they are simply stunning!!! I'll bring my camera home and post the pics up tonight if I can. The pics are AWESOME!!!

2006 Mustang GT Fastback; Vista Blue w/Charcoal Leather; 5-speed, 3:55 rear

Modifications List

Performance

Airaid Cold Air Intake; American Racing Longtube Headers w/Hi Flow Catted H-Pipe; Borla Stinger Axleback Mufflers; Custom Dyno-Tuned Program to 302 rwhp (350 flywheel hp)

Engine Compartment

Custom Painted-to-Match Strut Tower Brace; Midwest Auto Gear Plenum Cover & Radiator Extension Covers; Powdercoated Valve Cover (Ford Blue); Redline Tuning Elite Hoodlift Struts; Steeda Fuse Box Cover; UPR Satin Billet Aluminum Strut Tower Bolt Covers

Exterior

Carroll Shelby Wheel Company CS67 Anthracite 18 Wheels; CDC GT Classic Chin Spoiler; Ford OEM GT/CS Rear Bumper; Ford Accessories Keyless Entry Keypad (Installed Inside Fuel Door); G2 Brake Caliper Paint Kit (Blue); Midwest Auto Gear Painted Mirror Covers; Painted LeMans Stripes (Performance White); Silverhorse Racing Lower Grill Inserts; Street Scene Center Mounted Foglight Grill & Ducktail Rear Spoiler; ULCC Chrome Taillight Bezels; Web Electrics Sequential Turn Lights

Interior

Custom Footwell LED Ambient Lighting (Blue); Custom Katzkin Mach1 Inspired Seat Stripe Insert (Blue); Custom Leather Headrest & Seatbelt Wraps; Ford OEM Premium Trim Package Leather Wrapped Center Console Lid; Lloyd Mats Pony & Bars Logo; MGW LTD Satin Aluminum E-Brake Handle; Ninosport Vinyl Letters for Door Sill; Painted Window Switch Plates; Pioneer AVIC D3 CD/DVD/Navigation/iPod Integration; Silverhorse Racing Satin Aluminum Shifer & Cupholder Bezels; Superior Door Panel Welt Inserts (Blue); Ultimate Pedals Frosted Anti-Slip Aluminum Pedal Set w/Dead Pedal

Trunk

Grand Design Mats Custom Trunk Lid Mat (06VistaBlueGT); Original Gripper Mustang Pony Gripper Trunk Liner

#4 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Open a window.†Itís a big world out there.

• Great Lakes Region
  • 4,791 posts
  • Joined 20-July 05
  • Region:South Atlantic

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:33 AM

Good find. I was wondering when it would show up.

• http://www.Boss302Forum.com • Ford Mustang EcoBoost Club • http://www.ShelbyGT350Forum.com • http://www.ShelbyGT350RForum.com

44706_10200232353682482_93935936_n.jpg?o

Shelby Bud totally destroying the tires on my KR while I was in Michigan. I WANT new rear tires, Bud! :drop:

#5 OFFLINE   shelbymotorsports

shelbymotorsports

SAI Registry Supervisor

• 6,859 posts
  • Joined 12-November 07

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

Are you sure that is #2287?

Below a pic of what it looked liked when it was pulled out of storage. Notice it looks quite a bit different. No graphics. No roof dent. No missing paint. Exhaust different?

Posted Image

Register your Shelby at: Shelby American Registry

Order your SAI Registry Certificate at: Shelby Store

PM's turned OFF. Email me at: StevenT@ShelbyAmerican.com

SAIRegistryCert.jpg

#6 OFFLINE   shelbymotorsports

shelbymotorsports

SAI Registry Supervisor

• 6,859 posts
  • Joined 12-November 07

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:53 PM

Well looking around Google it appears this Simeone Foundation Museum is owned by a neurosurgeon and it was a neurosurgeon who purchased the car.

If it is the same car, which it appears to be, I think the ol Doctor took away from the cars history by restoring it. Perhaps he wanted to distance the car from the Phil Spector years but if it wasn't for Spectors wackiness this particular car wouldn't have achieved the cult status that it has.

The cars history is its history, why pretend it didn't exist? But thats just me.

Steve

SAIRegistryCert.jpg

#7 OFFLINE   falcongtho3

falcongtho3

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:42 PM

I'll agree that not restoring it would have been the way to go, but it's his car now. I've been a Daytona Coupe nut for many, many years and had the pleasure of putting my eyeballs on two real Daytonas in my lifetime. (Not literally...but you know what I mean) The book about them (Daytona, The Racing Cobras) occupies a prominant place in my living room, as does the Exoto replica and a number of other replicas. Soon, one the current roll of film gets developed, I'll post up a photo of a Daytona Cope poster I've never seen since acquiring it in the early '80's, along with a number of watercolor prints.
The story of the 'lost' Coupe needs to find its way onto the big screen somehow. It's the greatest racing story, with the most tragic human ending of any story I've ever heard.

Either way, restored or not, it is great to see it in the public eye again.
'03 Mach #13

I know, I know, I said #16 before, but that's what they told me. Now it's 13. Is it too late to send it back?

#8 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,093 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:38 PM

Soon, one the current roll of film gets developed,

I think I'm getting close to have developed my last roll. I have a Nikon F2 that I use but now my D100 is just more convenient, and with the D3/D700 (full frame sensor) I can use all of my old lenses so one of them is on the new toy list. A new camera might take priority over a mod (but it'll have to be the list of post Kenne Bell S/C for the BJ SGT.)
Cheers,
Tony

Motto: You can have fun going fast. ... but ... You don't have to go fast to have fun.

Current:
2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition, 650 RWHP, 600 FtLb torque.

Former:
CSX4005LA - Shelby Continuation Series Cobra. The most fun you can legally have, sitting in a chair, in public.
CSM08SGT2228 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, 5-speed, Kenne Bell S/C. Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation Gift at Barrett-Jackson 2009 Scottsdale
CSM08SGT2247 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, Automatic. Kenne Bell S/C installed. WHOOT!
Simple Mods: Electrochromic mirror with compass/temp/HomeLink, Ford HD Radio with iPod, lower billet grill insert, sequential tail lights.

#9 OFFLINE   falcongtho3

falcongtho3

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:44 AM

I'm using a Pentax K1000SE. I bought it for myself as a high school grad. gift in 1979. It's been around the world with me (literally), and continues to perform too well to put it away. I've got a lot of friends who shoot digital, but I seem to often get the shots they can't. They seem to be changing batteries more often than I change film rolls!
'03 Mach #13

#10 OFFLINE   06VistaBlueGT

06VistaBlueGT

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • Joined 07-April 06

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:18 AM

Well looking around Google it appears this Simeone Foundation Museum is owned by a neurosurgeon and it was a neurosurgeon who purchased the car.

If it is the same car, which it appears to be, I think the ol Doctor took away from the cars history by restoring it. Perhaps he wanted to distance the car from the Phil Spector years but if it wasn't for Spectors wackiness this particular car wouldn't have achieved the cult status that it has.

The cars history is its history, why pretend it didn't exist? But thats just me.

Steve

Trust me Steve, I've seen it, and its the REAL DEAL!!! It is CSX2287!!!

Modifications List

Performance

Airaid Cold Air Intake; American Racing Longtube Headers w/Hi Flow Catted H-Pipe; Borla Stinger Axleback Mufflers; Custom Dyno-Tuned Program to 302 rwhp (350 flywheel hp)

Engine Compartment

Custom Painted-to-Match Strut Tower Brace; Midwest Auto Gear Plenum Cover & Radiator Extension Covers; Powdercoated Valve Cover (Ford Blue); Redline Tuning Elite Hoodlift Struts; Steeda Fuse Box Cover; UPR Satin Billet Aluminum Strut Tower Bolt Covers

Exterior

Carroll Shelby Wheel Company CS67 Anthracite 18 Wheels; CDC GT Classic Chin Spoiler; Ford OEM GT/CS Rear Bumper; Ford Accessories Keyless Entry Keypad (Installed Inside Fuel Door); G2 Brake Caliper Paint Kit (Blue); Midwest Auto Gear Painted Mirror Covers; Painted LeMans Stripes (Performance White); Silverhorse Racing Lower Grill Inserts; Street Scene Center Mounted Foglight Grill & Ducktail Rear Spoiler; ULCC Chrome Taillight Bezels; Web Electrics Sequential Turn Lights

Interior

Custom Footwell LED Ambient Lighting (Blue); Custom Katzkin Mach1 Inspired Seat Stripe Insert (Blue); Custom Leather Headrest & Seatbelt Wraps; Ford OEM Premium Trim Package Leather Wrapped Center Console Lid; Lloyd Mats Pony & Bars Logo; MGW LTD Satin Aluminum E-Brake Handle; Ninosport Vinyl Letters for Door Sill; Painted Window Switch Plates; Pioneer AVIC D3 CD/DVD/Navigation/iPod Integration; Silverhorse Racing Satin Aluminum Shifer & Cupholder Bezels; Superior Door Panel Welt Inserts (Blue); Ultimate Pedals Frosted Anti-Slip Aluminum Pedal Set w/Dead Pedal

Trunk

Grand Design Mats Custom Trunk Lid Mat (06VistaBlueGT); Original Gripper Mustang Pony Gripper Trunk Liner

#11 OFFLINE   shelbymotorsports

shelbymotorsports

SAI Registry Supervisor

• 6,859 posts
  • Joined 12-November 07

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:58 PM

Trust me Steve, I've seen it, and its the REAL DEAL!!! It is CSX2287!!!

Yup I'm convinced its the one. I just wish they had not done a partial restoration on it.

Steve

SAIRegistryCert.jpg

#12 OFFLINE   HIGHFLIGHT

HIGHFLIGHT

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 21-January 08
  • Interests:flying
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:16 AM

http://shelbyamerica...collection.html

If you haven't seen this collection you need to if you are in the area. It is located just outside of Boulder off of Diagonal Hwy going towards Longmont. My son who lived a 5 minute walk from there kept telling me about this car museum I might want to go see. They have one of the 10 or 12 J cars. The long body GT40 that was so very fast. A good friend (Bob Olthoff) of mine raced the Willment Daytona (CSX2131) in South Africa. Only open on Saturdays.
"Dream like you will live forever. Live like your going to die today"
James Dean

#13 OFFLINE   Shelby101

Shelby101

Shelby 101

• Great Lakes Region
  • 894 posts
  • Joined 19-June 06
  • Region:Great Lakes

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:04 AM

This car is featured on Jay Leno's Garage right now.
He drives it and likes it!!!!!
[b]2007 Vista Blue GT 500 over the top strip delete
Build complete 12/8/2006
Received January 9, 2007
Build Number 3910 of 8152 Coupes
Number 513 of 1054 Vista Blue
One of Nine Vista Blue with Top Stripe Delete
Carroll Shelby signed sunvisor
Converted to 07SS0041 Super Snake September 2008
725 HP
Official 40th Anniversary badging on grill by mistake at Shelby Autos not the 40th on other Super snakes
Polished Kenne Bell
Polished strut tower brace
Shelby 3rd brake light trim
AFCO Intercooler coil
Moroso intercooler expansion tank
Moroso radiator overflow tank[/
b]

#14 OFFLINE   06VistaBlueGT

06VistaBlueGT

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • Joined 07-April 06

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:41 AM

http://shelbyamerica...collection.html

If you haven't seen this collection you need to if you are in the area. It is located just outside of Boulder off of Diagonal Hwy going towards Longmont. My son who lived a 5 minute walk from there kept telling me about this car museum I might want to go see. They have one of the 10 or 12 J cars. The long body GT40 that was so very fast. A good friend (Bob Olthoff) of mine raced the Willment Daytona (CSX2131) in South Africa. Only open on Saturdays.

Yeah, I gotta go out there one time soon! My dad's good friend's old GT40 is sitting in the collection. Its GT103, the 1st to ever win a race (the blue/white car). He sold it to Symbolic MotorCars in California a few years back and they restored it, to the same paint job as what it was when it won the Daytona race. From there it was acutioned off during Monterey weekend a few years back. BOY, I MISS THAT CAR!!! :cry:

Modifications List

Performance

Engine Compartment

Exterior

Interior

Trunk

#15 OFFLINE   06VistaBlueGT

06VistaBlueGT

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • Joined 07-April 06

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:28 AM

This car is featured on Jay Leno's Garage right now.
He drives it and likes it!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the videos. I've been waiting for them to appear. Funny story about those videos? When I visted the museum with my 9 other friends from our Mustang Club (badponyclub.com), we went on Sunday (10 mustangs out back). When we walked in to sign the book, I saw Jay's signature up top! I asked the lady at the desk, "Is this for real?". She said he and his wife (Mavis) stopped by Saturday to look around (was in A.C for a stand up show). We missed seeing Jay drive the Cunningham, Dupont and Daytona Cobra by 1 day!! BUMMER!! Still a great place to visit thought.

Modifications List

Performance

Engine Compartment

Exterior

Interior

Trunk

#16 OFFLINE   falcongtho3

falcongtho3

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

For those that might be interested; CSX2601 is being listed for sale through a company in Arizona. Anyone want to call and see the asking price?
'03 Mach #13

#17 OFFLINE   Son of GT

Son of GT

"THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A SHELBY... NOTHING.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,477 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Interests:Most Motorsports, all types of cars and trucks; especally anything Shelby. My country, family, and friends, and all who have served or are serving in the military defending the U.S.A. Still and video photography; and of course morally casual women!

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

For those that might be interested; CSX2601 is being listed for sale through a company in Arizona. Anyone want to call and see the asking price?

The one being sold by GTC Mirage? 2.9 Million!
Current Stable:

1972 Bronco restomod equipped with an R-spec 5.8, AOD, 4-wheel disc brakes, as well as several other mods.

2003 Mercury Marauder

2007 Performance white SGT S/C CSM #12

2007 Grabber Orange GT500 Convertible VIN #00012; Super Snake CSM #12.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN MADE PRODUCTS WHENEVER POSSIBLE; NOW MORE THAN EVER BEFORE!

IN MEMORY OF JOE GOSINSKI, 10-23-66 / 12-24-10. RIP JOE, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE MISSED.

"As long as there's America, there will always be a Mustang." - Jay Leno.

"The more time I spend in this place, the more I like dogs". - Me.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Posted Image <--- Current weather at Shelby American, Las Vegas, NV

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, modded. Sold Feb. 2007. Goodbye old friend, you will always be missed.

#18 OFFLINE   falcongtho3

falcongtho3

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:00 PM

That would be the one!
Only $2.9mil.??? The market must be getting soft...
'03 Mach #13

#19 OFFLINE   frankfoamydog

frankfoamydog

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 30-September 11
  • Region:Northeast

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

Here is a video of event.

#20 OFFLINE   richstang

richstang

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Joined 11-December 10
  • Interests:The usual; Mustangs, Shelbys, Cobras, Ford GTs, and yes even Cougars.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:09 AM

Yup I'm convinced its the one. I just wish they had not done a partial restoration on it.

Steve

I was told by a SAAC member they actually did not do a restoration but a careful and meticulous cleaning to bring it up to the current appearance.
Here's a few pictures of it's current look.
Attached File  csx2287 n.jpg   151.37KB   31 downloads
Attached File  csx2287 o.jpg   168.68KB   32 downloads
I don't know how they could get the bondo /filler off without having to paint those spots? But it definately has a certain patena to it.

Edited by richstang, 05 October 2011 - 11:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users