#1 OFFLINE   montego460

montego460

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

I really never make posts much but i feel this one is necessary so maybe nobody else goes through my misfortune.Well here goes,
I have owned a 1971 mustang mach 1 429 cj c-code for 16 years,i have just completed the car to my satisfaction,every last detail of driveability,the car looks beautiful,sounds wonderful and runs great.It is almost completly stock and looks like it did when it was new,the stance of the car is just perfect,its low but not to low,the two flowmasters sound great and it has a hurst 4 speed from the factory,it has the toploader trans with the big 1 3/8 input spline,it has ram air and 57.000 miles and is so cool to drive you just can't imagine.It has A/c and pwr windows,well that pretty much describes it.It is the ultimate 429 big block car to own and just drives so great on the highway.I even took out the 31 spline 325 gears and put in 31 spline 275 gears so the highway cruising would be the best.It has the rim blow wheel and mag 500's,well i do not need to really go on as you can all understand what the car is.Well this is where i do not want anyone else to screwup like i have,for the past 2 years i have toyed with the idea of selling it but the closest i ever came was advertising it here and nobody showed any interest so i just forgot about it and that was that.Well about a week ago i really started looking at the photos of the 2010 gt500(by the way i own a 2007 gt500 vista blue w/tungstun)and i really feel that i need one more muscle car before the muscle craze could come to an end so i also have fallen in love now with the 2010 gt500 and made up my mind that i want another gt500 and i realized that i probably could not afford one now with the way the economy is going and my own personal finances are so as a result i got this brilliant idea-this is where the stupidity comes in,and i decide i will test the waters and advertise the mach-1 on ebay,well needless to say i then realize how rare this car really is and the phone calls start coming and before i can even realize what i have done this nice guy drives down 8 hours from canada and pays me preety much what i wanted for the car.He makes arrange ments to have it shipped home this week coming up.It all happened so quick and now i realize that i have gotten this emotional attachment to my baby like it was a child.I know this sounds stupid to most people as in this is only a car and a piece of metal and is not a real living being but to me it is my past and makes me feel alive and so happy when i drive it and just look at it,now i realize just how much it really means to me and i am going through some emotional times now that are really hard for me,i should have thought about this longer and harder before i did what i did but now it is pretty much done and i am a man of my word so i will follow through with the deal but i just wanted to share my story here with everyone just to let you all know that before you sell a car if you have owned it for a very long time like myself think twice before you sell it as it becomes a part of you in a way you can't imagine until you face life without it then your perspective could change on your baby(i mean car).I will just say this and then end this post,can you guys and even girls remember taking your favorite car out on beautiful days,lousey days,days when times are tough and days when times are good but the one constant is your car is always there and so are the memories that you have of your life for the entire time you have owned it,well all of this story is just as it has happened and i will miss her more then anyone can imagine and if i had a chance to turn back time i would have thought about it more carefully and never sold it but i did and now i just must deal with it.There are only two things about this crappy situation that keep me going,one is that i keep looking at the 2010 gt500 on my wall and that boosts my spirits a bit and i recieved a personal promise from the buyer,he will always give me the first chance out of anyone to buy my car back from him one day if and when he evers sells it.Well thats my story all and i hope next time you all think about selling an old friend you will think about my story.This will be a tough week for me but i just feel better telling you all about it because if there are any bunch of people that could understand this crazyness you all can.
Thanks for listening,
Larry

#2 OFFLINE   ceswert

ceswert

ceswert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 29-November 08
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Any Shelby automobile, Ford Mustangs, life after 50.

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

Montego 460,
A moving story to be sure! I appreciated reading it and can identify with you totally. I too am at a crossroads with my car. I own a wonderful 1972 Mach 1 CJ. Though not a 71 429 like yours, still an amazing ride. I purchased a 2007 GT500 last year and have recently super snaked it. After driving the snake for a time, I slowly came to the realization that maybe I was getting close to moving on, car-wise. The Mach is the old me, packed with memories. But the snake is the present me. It's great to relive memories but I think I have to move on. I love to drive the snake. It is such an awesome ride. Maybe I am way off base here. I did enjoy reading your Mach 1 story. Go out and make more memories with your 2007 and dream about your 2010. There is nothing like a Shelby!
ceswert

#3 OFFLINE   Matts

Matts

Proud FTB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • Joined 09-December 07
  • Interests:Road racing and Auto-crossing

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:40 PM

montego 460,

I went through the same thing, but I couldn't control mine.

I had a 1967 A code coupe Mustang. Modern technology, but old school style. I had her for about 5 years, I put everything into her. She was my one true love. Well one day I was cruising around Beach Street in Melbourne when a delivery truck ran a light and pretty much tore her in half. I was so angry that I passed out.

Though everything happens for a reason, yet I can't help but to be sad and angry...

My V6 and My Saleen both didn't give me the feeling that my 67 gave me, yet when I test drove the SGT I got those 'chills' again.

I don't know if it will ever, I mean EVER, replace that loving feeling, but it might be a great replacement.

Good luck to you in your journeys.
I.D.F.A

Current Garage

2005 V6 Mustang

#4 OFFLINE   QuickSilverShelby

QuickSilverShelby

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Joined 21-May 08
  • Region:Canada
  • Interests:The wife, the kids and Shelby's

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

Hey there Larry.

It's good that you told your story. Your car is going to a good owner and obviously he's gonna take good car of her, after all he drove 8 hours. Obviously it was worth the trip and effort so I think she is in good hands. I understand your pain, I too have a 68 GT500 convertible and my 2007 GT500 coupe and I really don't think I could part with either right at this moment. The main thing is, you drive a great car and really enjoy it now. I have heard too many stories of "I sold my Shelby 15 years ago" or "I sold my Mach 1 20 years ago and could not afford to get another".

You still in pretty great shape with the ride you have.

QSS
"I wanna go where the beer flows like wine"

07 GT-H 5sp Vert
68 GT 500 Vert

#5 OFFLINE   07SGT4578

07SGT4578

2007-08 Shelby GT Registrar

• 4,478 posts
  • Joined 29-October 07
  • Region:Southern Plains
  • Interests:nothing to see here........move along.

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

Thank you for posting your story, I too, can relate. I sold my '70 Mach 1, to buy a 2003 lightning. It was one bad ass truck, but I kick myself everyday for selling the Mach. But If I would not have sold it I may not have ever bought the SGT, Which I am sure glad I did.

Chris
Chris Carter

Posted Image

Shelby American Registrar --- 07-08 Shelby GT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oklahoma Director --- Team Shelby Southern Plains Region

Email me

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER YOUR SHELBY

CLICK HERE TO BECOME A MEMBER OF TEAM SHELBY

#6 OFFLINE   montego460

montego460

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:18 AM

I want to reach out to everyone here that has replied to my post and thank you all for taking the time to reply and your smiliar stories and understanding has made things alot easier,thanks again,you have added a little sunshine to a cloudy day,now i am off to bring my car to the car transporter.thanks again,
Larry

#7 OFFLINE   BucPower

BucPower

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Joined 28-July 07
  • Interests:Mustangs!<br />

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

People who are not as passionate about cars as the people that own (or have owned) some of the first Mustangs from the 60's and 70's or even the ones from the newer generations just don't, and probably never will, understand it. I had a black '04 Mustang that was my pride and joy but had to sell it to make way for my 3rd child. I love my children dearly but still daydream about when I owned it. God I miss that car. Montego, thanks for sharing your story, and know that there are people that can relate to it.

#8 OFFLINE   montego460

montego460

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

People who are not as passionate about cars as the people that own (or have owned) some of the first Mustangs from the 60's and 70's or even the ones from the newer generations just don't, and probably never will, understand it. I had a black '04 Mustang that was my pride and joy but had to sell it to make way for my 3rd child. I love my children dearly but still daydream about when I owned it. God I miss that car. Montego, thanks for sharing your story, and know that there are people that can relate to it.

thanks,it is really cool to know i have people out there next to me that can really relate and understand
our passion.

Larry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users