Team Shelby Member

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 3,349 posts
  • Joined 03-December 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Everything automotive, NHL, NCAAF, German Shepherd dogs

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:55 AM

Hi,

Took my car to Performance Art (local very cool mod shop) to have my wheels balanced and rotated. While I was there, I asked Kevin Patten to take a look at my Watt's link, as it has been noisier than usual lately.

As it turns out, the Heim joints are wearing. They have become elongated slightly and have significant play. Kevin sized the joints and is going to order replacements. He recommended going with new parts that have a kevlar bushing.

My hot rod is a daily driver and it's been 16k to 18k miles since I installed the Fay's 2. I guess my question on Heim joint life expectancy has been answered.

I will post again on this once the new joints are installed and I have an idea of cost and how the mod works.

Michael
TEAM SHELBY PACIFIC REGION DIRECTOR
Team Shelby member 906

2011 Shelby GT350 - CSM113500040
624 HP, 604.6 RWHP Watt's Link, Partial painted stripes, Museum delivery 4/6/11 Tremec Magnum XL 2013 Rehagen Racing Boss 302 track car

#2 OFFLINE   Fontech

Fontech

LLR & TS, Perfect Match

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

Mike, I'm here. I guess we are the only GT's here on TS.

Tom
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

" Gator " a pure mean monster
2005 Mustang Gt Convertible Premium (Legend Lime)
Medium Parchment Interior,Black Top,Manual 5 Speed
Shaker 500,IUP,Side Airbags,Active Anti-Theft,Stock 17'' GT Wheels
Ordered 1st Time 12/18/04 Denied Due To IUP
Ordered 1/18/05, Start Build 2/14/05, Delivered 3/11/05, Owner 3/12/05
Mod's:
Billet Radio Knob,Billet A/C Knobs,Billet Bullet Door Pins, Billet (All Five Fluid Caps and Fuse Box)
Chrome Flame Rearview Mirror,Black Mats with FONTECH Embroidered, Axel-Back SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, K&N Typhoon CAI, CDC Black Lightbar, CDC Sequential Lights, Bembo GT500 Brakes
NC Forged Wheels with FONTECH Floating Center Cap
Front with 3" Lip BF Goodrich KDW-2 255/35/20, Back with 4" Lip BF Goodrich KDW-2 285/30/20, Paxton Supercharger Novi 2200 with Intercooler @ 420 rwhp
Special Notice:
Exhaust sound of the Fontech's GT Mustang on the 2006 Need For Speed Carbon Video Game. Thanks, Jesse Lyon
Overhaulin' with Chip Foose on TLC
Recorded 8/18/07, Aired 4/24/08

#3 OFFLINE   Snake Handler

Snake Handler

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Joined 07-April 08
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Cars, guns, auto racing

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

Hi,

Took my car to Performance Art (local very cool mod shop) to have my wheels balanced and rotated. While I was there, I asked Kevin Patten to take a look at my Watt's link, as it has been noisier than usual lately.

As it turns out, the Heim joints are wearing. They have become elongated slightly and have significant play. Kevin sized the joints and is going to order replacements. He recommended going with new parts that have a kevlar bushing.

My hot rod is a daily driver and it's been 16k to 18k miles since I installed the Fay's 2. I guess my question on Heim joint life expectancy has been answered.

I will post again on this once the new joints are installed and I have an idea of cost and how the mod works.

Michael

I have the Fays 2 also. I would like to hear more about the replacement joints when you have them installed. Thanks.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

USAF Retired

2013 Boss 302 GB #2654
2008 GT500 Torch Red Vert
1966 Mustang Coupe
1973 Cougar XR7 Vert
2004 F150 FX4 Super Crew

#4 OFFLINE   MMcGuirk

MMcGuirk

Team Shelby Member

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 3,349 posts
  • Joined 03-December 07
  • Interests:Everything automotive, NHL, NCAAF, German Shepherd dogs

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:34 AM

An update on the heim joint issue -

We called Jim Fay an informed him of what's happening with my watt's link. He responded by sending me a complete set of replacement heim joints!

I can't say enough about Jim and the great service he has provided.

MM
TEAM SHELBY PACIFIC REGION DIRECTOR
Team Shelby member 906

2011 Shelby GT350 - CSM113500040
624 HP, 604.6 RWHP Watt's Link, Partial painted stripes, Museum delivery 4/6/11 Tremec Magnum XL 2013 Rehagen Racing Boss 302 track car

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users