Photo

MrFarmdog's Fender Stripe Install thread!!!

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrfarmdog

mrfarmdog

PNW Regional Director

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 3,360 posts
  • Joined 24-July 06
  • Region:Pacific Northwest

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:38 PM

Several people have asked me how to install fender stripes without getting air bubbles and wrinkles in them. I am happy to provide any insight. Hopefully this will help others. I will not be able to do this in one sitting so I will update it with new posts and with new information periodically.

Putting fender stripes on your car is all about technique. Some of it you can learn from pictures but in the end there is no substitute for experience when working with vinyl. Some vinyl is easier to install than others. Here is a breakdown:

INFO ON VINYL
Plain colored 8 or 6 year vinyl - (red stripes, white stripes, gloss black, yellow, etc.). - General use vinyl is thicker than metallic vinyl and is relatively forgiving. This vinyl you can pull back up somewhat and reinstall in order to get out creases or bubbles without deforming the vinyl and trashing your stripe. Repositioning can be done without transfer tape, which helps to hold the shape of the stripe when pulling up.

Metallic vinyl - (Tungsten, Vista Blue, etc) - Metallic vinyls are what most metallic striping packages are made of and they are very thin and will deform easy. When applying metallic vinyls it is best to use some backing or transfer tape if you need to pull the stripe up a bit to remove air bubbles

Flat or matte vinyl - (i.e. flat black, etc.) - This vinyl in my opinion is the easiest to apply, mainly because it is still thick but is softer than the plain gloss vinyl. It pulls up and repositions easy without backing tape.

BACKING TAPE
I have dealt with two different types of backing tape, clear plastic and masking tape. I prefer the clear because it is rigid and seems to work best with metallic vinyl. The masking tape works best when applying wet but you can not see exactly where you are placing the stripes like you can with the clear.

WET VS DRY PLACEMENT
Wet placement is the easiest if you are going to apply the stripes individually. With wet placement you use a spray bottle with water and a teaspoon or so of Dawn dish soap as your lubricating agent. When you place wet you need to have your placement location marked with a grease pencil so you know when it is correct. This means that you must measure and mark which can be time consuming. I for one don't like to measure. For most stripes, including metallic fender stripes dry can be done. If you want to do wet you can. In this case it is best to get the vinyl without backing tape and apply each stripe individually.

NO-NOS
Don't attempt to apply fender stripes to a car that is hot due to being out in the sun. The stripe will stick and you will not be able to reposition it or work out imperfections.
Do not attempt to apply in windy conditions, which will blow grit under the stripes or make handling the stripes difficult.
Do make sure you clean the location well including the inside of the fender.

More to come later. Next I will post a how to of a dry application with Vista Blue metallic.

MrFarmdog out!!!

#2 OFFLINE   mrfarmdog

mrfarmdog

PNW Regional Director

• 3,360 posts
  • Joined 24-July 06

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:01 AM

Installing Fender Stripes Dry

These pics are an install of Vista Blue Metallic fender stripes. Metallic stripes are the hardest to apply so if you can do this you can do any of them! I am using a clear backing tape so I can see the positioning of the stripe and also because I can pull the metallic stripe back to work out air bubbles without deforming the stripe.

First, make sure the fender is clean on all areas where the stripe will be applied.
Posted Image

Make sure you do the underside of the fender where the stripe will roll under and inside the hood opening.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next make sure you are certain of your stripe placement before you apply. This stripe has arrows to help align the stripe on the fender at the correct angle. To apply this stripe correctly you center the stripes on the rubber hood bumper on the fender and align the arrows on the fender edge by the hood. This will give you the correct angle and placement.

Posted Image

Start applying your fender stripe at the top of the fender. Pull the backing tape off the stripe as you apply it. This will prevent the stripe touching and sticking to the fender as you are trying to work with it. Lay the stripe across the top of the fender and using your thumb, rub back and forth as you set the stripe into position on the fender. Sometimes it helps if you have some liquid lubricant on your thumb to help it slide across the tape. You can lick your thumb or use a spray bottle with a little dawn dish soap to wet the top of the transfer tape if needed. Make sure you do not introduce air bubbles under the stripe as you apply. If you do gently pull the stripe back up to the point where the air bubble are and then reapply.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Apply it all the way to the fender line. When working over corners make sure the stripe lays flat across the entire corner of the fender.

Posted Image

Continue to apply the stripe down the side of the fender rubbing the stripe back and forth with your thumb. Make sure the transfer tape lays flat just like the stripes underneath as this helps with the spacing of the stripes.
Posted Image

Work all the way down to the wheel well fender line making sure that there are no air bubbles and that the transfer tape does not have any wrinkles.
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   mrfarmdog

mrfarmdog

PNW Regional Director

• 3,360 posts
  • Joined 24-July 06

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:02 AM

At this point due to the compound angles it will be difficult to continue over the fender lip without creasing the transfer tape so we need some relief.

Posted Image

Remove the remaining backing tape.
Posted Image

Cut the backing tape so the two stripes are separated.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Using the same method as described above continue to apply the stripes individually.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Now at the top of the fender cut the transfer tape so you can finish applying the top of the stripes.

Posted Image

Cut both sides of the backing tape next to the stripe so the stripes can be applied individually on each side of the rubber hood bumper.

Posted Image

Fold over and apply the top of the stripes to the top of the fender inside the engine compartment. You will have to work the rear stripe behind the rubber bumper by moving the bumper with your hand and applying it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   mrfarmdog

mrfarmdog

PNW Regional Director

• 3,360 posts
  • Joined 24-July 06

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:06 AM

Here is a pic of the stripes applied at the top. Notice the backing tape cut above the rubber bumper.

Posted Image

Starting at the top remove the backing tape from the stripe being careful not to pull the stripe up.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Start both sides (since they were cut) and eventually you will be pulling the entire backing tape as one piece.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Slowly remove all the backing tape.

Posted Image

Pulling the tape directly back on itself will help from introducing air bubbles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   mrfarmdog

mrfarmdog

PNW Regional Director

• 3,360 posts
  • Joined 24-July 06

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

When you get to the bottom cut the stripes about an inch longer than the fender opening. This will be folded under the fender.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The final result... STRIPES INSTALLED!!!
Posted Image

In some cases you may have a few air bubbles like this. Do not worry about them. The sun will bake them out and the stripe will lay flat. It is better to let the sun do the work than ruin your stripes trying to make it perfect right away. These normally go away within a day.

Posted Image

Now clean the car.
Posted Image

Installation complete.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   AFChief

AFChief

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 09-December 08

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

Cool beans! Thanks for the write-up!
2007 GT500 Perf White/ Vista Stripes Metco 2.6 / idler, JLT CAI, Bama Tunes, MGW Shifter, 08 Crank pulley

#7 OFFLINE   kahmann

kahmann

08SGT1292

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,343 posts
  • Joined 30-May 08
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Going fast.

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for the install guide and email John. I'll keep an eye out for the new stripes in the mail! :rockon:

Ken

2008 Shelby GT (#1292 of 2214)
2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat

LIVERNOIS - WHIPPLE - MANLEY - COMP - GRIGGS RACING - WELDCRAFT - TOYO
SIG2-Racing2-2.jpg

#8 OFFLINE   phdpsy

phdpsy

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 11-November 08

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

Simply fantastic... Another great thread to bookmark B)
2007 GT500 - Black/White
Griggs GR40SS with Watts link (Thanks Van/Dactyl)
Polished Ford Racing TVS supercharger
Innovators West 10% OD Billet lower balancer, 2.6" upper
VMP Polished Throttle Body and Tune
JLT Carbon Fiber CAI
Project 321 Coil Covers
Revan Racing/ C&R Heat Exchanger and Radiator, Reisch 170 TS
Borla Touring Axleback Exhaust
DSS driveshaft
2010 Shiftknob conversion
Carroll Shelby CS66 wheels
Carroll Shelby Signature Blk/Red Floor and Trunk mats
Carroll Shelby Signed VIN plaque, etc.
New clutch/flywheel/tranny 4/09
Modifying your GT500....pricey.
Getting a letter from your shop thanking you for putting their kids through college..."priceless"

Other Current Fords:
2000 Cobra R #160/300
2001 F-350 4x4 Crew Cab - Tow vehicle and family hauler

#9 OFFLINE   bossnova3

bossnova3

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts
  • Joined 14-November 08

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:23 PM

Would love to do this to my car where can I buy 2 sets of stripes in white for my '08 vista blue shelby!!!!!!

#10 OFFLINE   AFChief

AFChief

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 09-December 08

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:30 PM

Finally got some of Mr Farmdog's stripes on the Shelby. I botched the red ones, so was leery about the blue ones. I did the wet method and took my time. I have a bubble I'm waiting to cook out, but i think it came out good. I keep thinking the color is a bit off the match of the factory, but in some sunlight it looks perfect. Dunno.

I'll probably order some more (Red in particular) to swap later. Happy with these for the time being. Thanks Mr Farmdog!

Attached File  19Jul09__26_1.JPG   157.15KB   155 downloads
2007 GT500 Perf White/ Vista Stripes Metco 2.6 / idler, JLT CAI, Bama Tunes, MGW Shifter, 08 Crank pulley

#11 OFFLINE   mrfarmdog

mrfarmdog

PNW Regional Director

• 3,360 posts
  • Joined 24-July 06

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

Finally got some of Mr Farmdog's stripes on the Shelby. I botched the red ones, so was leery about the blue ones. I did the wet method and took my time. I have a bubble I'm waiting to cook out, but i think it came out good. I keep thinking the color is a bit off the match of the factory, but in some sunlight it looks perfect. Dunno.

I'll probably order some more (Red in particular) to swap later. Happy with these for the time being. Thanks Mr Farmdog!

Attached File  19Jul09__26_1.JPG   157.15KB   155 downloads

Cool! I am sending you a PM on the red ones.

#12 OFFLINE   OCD

OCD

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Joined 22-May 09
  • Region:Canada
  • Interests:Cars!! Girls!! Good Friends!!

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

What is the origin of the fender stripes?
2009 GT500 Red Vert #296 of 555. Built 09/05/08. Engine magicians, Tom Henson & Matt Thomas.

#13 OFFLINE   llcwhit

llcwhit

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 18-May 06

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

What is the origin of the fender stripes?

So that pit crews cold identify their driver when there were multiple cars of same model and color on track (before radios)- now they are just used to look cool.

Edited by llcwhit, 19 July 2009 - 05:46 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   OCD

OCD

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Joined 22-May 09
  • Region:Canada
  • Interests:Cars!! Girls!! Good Friends!!

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

So that pit crews cold identify their driver when there were multiple cars of same model and color on track (before radios)- now they are just used to look cool.

Yes, they do look pretty cool!! And thanks for the history on them!!

Hmmm!!
2009 GT500 Red Vert #296 of 555. Built 09/05/08. Engine magicians, Tom Henson & Matt Thomas.

#15 OFFLINE   Grabber

Grabber

TS Member #26

• 35,086 posts
  • Joined 21-July 06

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

Nice write up. I could of used that a year ago.

I winged it when I installed mine. B)

Posted Image

Posted Image
GRABBER Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image 2007 GRABBER ORANGE GT500 Coupe ordered 10/13/06. Sub to plant 12/14/06. Scheduled 1/16/07. Bucked 1/17/07. Released From Plant 1/19/07. Plant Quality Hold 1/19/07. Off Plant Quality Hold 2/21/07. Shipped 2/22/07. Delivered 3/8/07. New 2008 2nd Gen. Tranny & Nickle Hub Clutch & Flywheel & Lube & CSC bearing 1/16/2008. New 2009 2nd Gen. Flywheel & another new Nickel Hub Clutch & Pilot Bearing 8/8/08. New 2010 Clutch and flywheel and slave cylinder & pilot bearing and clutch line 8/2/12
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16 OFFLINE   Oh8SnakeDriver

Oh8SnakeDriver

I can't drive 55!!

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 562 posts
  • Joined 07-April 06
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Interests:Shelby's, Mustangs, Motorcycles, R/C Airplanes, HO Scale Trains, Target shooting, Traveling.

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:49 PM

mrfarmdog,
How do we order these and what colors are available and what is the cost?
Thanks,
Mike
2008 GT500

Alloy Clear coat Metallic W/Silver Stripes, Charcoal w/Red Interior, HID Headlamps, DVD Nav System, Premium Trim Package, Ambient Lighting, Full Car Cover, #1753 of 6513 coupes and #78 of 314 in Alloy Metallic.

Ordered 7/20/07, Receipt Date: 7/23/2007, DORA 7/23/07, VOC 7/25/07, Serialize Date 8/24/2007, Segment Date 8/24/2007, VIN # Received 8/25/07, Sequence Date: 9/13/2007, Blend Date: 9/14/2007, Produced Date: 9/24/07, Gate Release Date: 9/24/07 Ship Date: 10/19/07 Arrival Date: 10/26/07 Sold Date: 11/03/07

Engine Builders: Laurie Bowen and Mark Schuman

Mod's
Whipple 2.9, 72 Lb injectors, L&M 66mm TB, Tr 6 plugs, JLT CAI, Diablo MAFia, Jon Lund 93 tune. Mcleod RXT Clutch. MGW 6 Speed Short Throw Shifter.
Steeda Hood Lift Kit, MGW Billet Parts including the 6 Speed F@$%*@G Fast Shift Knob! Lethal's LED's, MRT Sequential Turn Signals, CDC Shorty Antenna, CDC Dead Pedal, KR axlebacks, Shelby/C&R Radiator and Heat Exchanger, Reische 170 dgr Thermostat, Shelby/C&R Extreme Duty Coolant Tanks, FR3SVT Handling Pack Suspension, BMR Panhard Bar & Upper Panhard Rod Support. JLT Oil Separators.
Nitto NT05R 315/45/18

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 OFFLINE   IASHELBYGT

IASHELBYGT

White Lightning with 66 DNA

• Northern Plains Region
  • 1,680 posts
  • Joined 29-March 06
  • Region:Northern Plains
  • Interests:Shelby & Ford Vehicles and Iowa Hawkeye sports.

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

John put these on at Shelby Fest in April. I think it's better to have a professional do it.
Posted Image

Edited by IASHELBYGT, 20 July 2009 - 01:05 PM.

IASHELBYGT- IOWA CITY, IOWA - HAWKEYE FAN

2006 Legend Lime GT Automatic w/Camel Leather. Interior upgrade w/satin aluminum panel, active anti-theft and 17" machined aluminum wheels. 1/1,790 produced in Legend Lime.
2007 Performance White 5-speed SGT w/light graphite leather. Interior upgrade w/satin aluminum panel, active anti-theft & wheel locking kit. 1/1,771 white 5-speeds produced, 1/639 with light graphite interior.
2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302 6-Speed w/charcol black cloth bucket. Recaro sport seats/Helical differenial, Boss car cover, boss floor mats. 1/429 produced in grabber blue.

#18 OFFLINE   07SGT0547

07SGT0547

2007 SGT Registrar

• Team Shelby Registrar
  • 2,038 posts
  • Joined 30-April 07
  • Interests:2007 Shelby GT
    2012 BOSS 302

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

But they do come in very handy when you are trying to pick your car out in a crowd :hysterical:

Whether it is on the track...

Attached File  IMG_0463.jpg   81.58KB   98 downloads

Or at a car show...

Attached File  DSC00024.JPG   587.35KB   112 downloads

Makes it lots easier to find your particular car...

Drive Safe!
07SGT0547

389057_3783061688469_748411978_n.jpg

Gregg ~ 2007 Shelby GT Registrar

Register Your Shelby

#19 OFFLINE   mrfarmdog

mrfarmdog

PNW Regional Director

• 3,360 posts
  • Joined 24-July 06

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:32 PM

mrfarmdog,
How do we order these and what colors are available and what is the cost?
Thanks,
Mike

PM sent!

#20 OFFLINE   chuckstang

chuckstang

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,445 posts
  • Joined 26-March 06

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

just my opinion but this is the single worse mod shelby owners have started doing

I instantly think poser when I see these or I think grand sport vette lol
Posted Image

Ford Shelby GT500- Modified

#21 OFFLINE   sharabi

sharabi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • Joined 05-October 07

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

just my opinion but this is the single worse mod shelby owners have started doing

+1
I think funeral.

Edited by sharabi, 21 July 2009 - 11:53 AM.

#22 OFFLINE   KCMO-GT500

KCMO-GT500

Old Pole from the Ozarks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,784 posts
  • Joined 19-March 06

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:40 PM

..rude unsolicited comment......most of us have learned to understand that not everyone has the same vision of what looks good, and to encourage if possible, if not, at least not bash someone for their choices........can't imagine why you could expect sympathy with any of your issues with your willingness to point out that you so strongly disagree with their choices, especially if not asked for comment.........as Ruf would say, bad form.....

Some days I'm a badcat, and somedays not.....

JohnnyLupara400.jpg

Performance White with a VMP TVS & Some Minor Bling.........695 rwhp and a lot of happy happy

#23 OFFLINE   KCMO-GT500

KCMO-GT500

Old Pole from the Ozarks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,784 posts
  • Joined 19-March 06

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

+1
I think funeral.

..I kinda expected better from you...............in person they look pretty good.........I have not heard anything other than positives on mine and others...........

Some days I'm a badcat, and somedays not.....

JohnnyLupara400.jpg

Performance White with a VMP TVS & Some Minor Bling.........695 rwhp and a lot of happy happy

#24 OFFLINE   sharabi

sharabi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • Joined 05-October 07

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

..I kinda expected better from you...............in person they look pretty good.........I have not heard anything other than positives on mine and others...........

Seriously and honest to god that what came to my mind, i remember the stripes going oblique on the pics of some one who passed away, that is the first thing came to my mind when i saw them, sorry but i spoke out my self loud, i guess i should not.

#25 OFFLINE   Bob K

Bob K

Team Shelby New Member

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 341 posts
  • Joined 23-August 08
  • Region:Decline

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

What color looks best on Vista blue and how much are they?
'68 GT500KR convertible, 4 speed
'08 SGT912 convertible, automatic

Posted Image

#26 OFFLINE   07SGT0547

07SGT0547

2007 SGT Registrar

• Team Shelby Registrar
  • 2,038 posts
  • Joined 30-April 07
    2012 BOSS 302

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

Then I guess we should all "blame" this guy :hysterical:

Attached File  HeyLittleCobra.jpg   130.67KB   172 downloads

But since my SGT came with the Cobra-style hood scoop...

And I do "drive" my car on the track and "race" it at the drag strip...

I think it fits in rather well with the SHELBY heritage...

However, that's just my opinion :censored:

Gregg
07SGT0547

Edited by 07SGT0547, 22 July 2009 - 08:25 PM.

Register Your Shelby

#27 OFFLINE   kahmann

kahmann

08SGT1292

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,343 posts
  • Joined 30-May 08

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:18 PM

Then I guess we should all "blame" this guy :hysterical:

Attached File  HeyLittleCobra.jpg   130.67KB   172 downloads

But since my SGT came with the Cobra-style hood scoop...

And I do "drive" my car on the track and "race" it at the drag strip...

I think it fits in rather well with the SHELBY heritage...

However, that's just my opinion :censored:

Gregg
07SGT0547

Oh Gregg, what a 'poser' you are. :hysterical:

SIG2-Racing2-2.jpg

#28 OFFLINE   07SGT0547

07SGT0547

2007 SGT Registrar

• Team Shelby Registrar
  • 2,038 posts
  • Joined 30-April 07
    2012 BOSS 302

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:03 AM

Oh Gregg, what a 'poser' you are. :hysterical:

EDIT = I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I first read your "poser" post... So I've edited my response to add in a little "scarcasm"...

That's ME! How did you know??? Especially since we've never actually met in person before :headscratch:

Maybe one of these days our two cars will be at the same place and at the same time :shift:

And since we'll BOTH being going by the pits at such a high rate of speed, the only way to tell our cars apart (except for them being White & Blue) will be from the fender stripes...

Or if you want, we can just take pictures in the parking lot :hysterical:

Gregg
07SGT0547

Edited by 07SGT0547, 23 July 2009 - 06:34 PM.

Register Your Shelby

#29 OFFLINE   chuckstang

chuckstang

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,445 posts
  • Joined 26-March 06

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:15 PM

[quote name='KCMO-GT500' date='Jul 22 2009, 05:40 PM' post='760628']
..rude unsolicited comment......most of us have learned to understand that not everyone has the same vision of what looks good, and to encourage if possible, if not, at least not bash someone for their choices........can't imagine why you could expect sympathy with any of your issues with your willingness to point out that you so strongly disagree with their choices, especially if not asked for comment.........as Ruf would say, bad form.....

Well I agree and disagree with your thoughts on my comments.

It is just an opinion!

Dont have feelings made of glass, geeeez

But unsolicited, I guess, but people offer their opinion whether wanted or not on internet forums, this one included all the time, my threads included. Why should you be not subject to the same scrutiny?

I'm sorry :shift:

Still a terrible mod :ph34r:

My personal taste prerfer to have the car do the talking and does not need decals and stripes. The regualr GT500 with stripes has plenty as it is! :)

Edited by chuckstang, 23 July 2009 - 12:18 PM.

Posted Image

Ford Shelby GT500- Modified

#30 OFFLINE   kahmann

kahmann

08SGT1292

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,343 posts
  • Joined 30-May 08

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:18 PM

That's ME! How did you know??? Especially since we've never actually met in person before :headscratch:

Maybe one of these days our two cars will be at the same place and at the same time...

Of course, that's just for taking pictures in the parking lot :lurk:

Gregg
07SGT0547

Hey man I was kidding. Read Chuck's post at the top of this page again.
I've got pit stripes on my SGT and wouldn't call myself a poser either. ;)

SIG2-Racing2-2.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users