#1 OFFLINE   mustangshelbygt500

mustangshelbygt500

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Joined 19-June 09

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:50 PM

I got this warning on my screen with the tire pressure light flashing, it says "tire pressure sensor fault". I checked all the tires, all of them were 30 psi, everything looked ok. Why am I getting this warning? What does it mean?

#2 OFFLINE   08 Mustang

08 Mustang

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Joined 23-September 09

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

I got this warning on my screen with the tire pressure light flashing, it says "tire pressure sensor fault". I checked all the tires, all of them were 30 psi, everything looked ok. Why am I getting this warning? What does it mean?

Typically it means the tires are low. I'd start out by putting some more air in the tires and see if that turns the dash warning off and go from there.
Posted Image
2003 SVT Cobra
Kenne Bell Polished 2.2 l Al Papitto-Boss 330 Racing Short Block l Accufab Throttle Body l 3.25 upper - 4lb lower l CCW Classic Rims l Spec Stage 3+ Clutch l Fidanza Flywheel l MAC Ceramic Coated Headers l Lethal Performance X-Pipe w/Magnaflow Highflow Cats l Borla Stinger Catback l Billetflow IRS Brace l Kenny Brown Springs

Tuned By MV Performance

*Dyno Video ~ 008.MOV - YouTube
*Walk Around Video ~ 042.MOV - YouTube

#3 OFFLINE   kahmann

kahmann

08SGT1292

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,343 posts
  • Joined 30-May 08
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Going fast.

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:26 PM

One of the sensors may have failed inside of the tires. Or one of the bands may have broken and a sensor might be floating around in there. Same thing happened to me a couple months back. Or it could just be a computer error.

Ken

2008 Shelby GT (#1292 of 2214)
2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat

LIVERNOIS - WHIPPLE - MANLEY - COMP - GRIGGS RACING - WELDCRAFT - TOYO
SIG2-Racing2-2.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   Son of GT

Son of GT

"THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A SHELBY... NOTHING.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,477 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Interests:Most Motorsports, all types of cars and trucks; especally anything Shelby. My country, family, and friends, and all who have served or are serving in the military defending the U.S.A. Still and video photography; and of course morally casual women!

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:54 PM

When you have low tire pressure in one or more of your tires you will get a message saying "LOW TIRE PRESSURE" and a small amber icon of a flat tire will illuminate in your gage.

"TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT" is exactly what Ken (Kahmann) says it is. A loss of signal from one or more of the TPS's (tire pressure sensors). As stated, one or more mounting bands may have snapped, one or more of the sensors have failed, or they just need to be reprogrammed. Your dealer or most tire shops have a hand held device that is placed against the sidewall of the tire which uses a RF signal to reprogram each TPS in about five minutes or less. That would be the first thing that I would try, and if that doesn't clear the fault, then I would pursue the other potental causes of the fault code.

Current Stable:

1972 Bronco restomod equipped with an R-spec 5.8, AOD, 4-wheel disc brakes, as well as several other mods.

2003 Mercury Marauder

2007 Performance white SGT S/C CSM #12

2007 Grabber Orange GT500 Convertible VIN #00012; Super Snake CSM #12.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN MADE PRODUCTS WHENEVER POSSIBLE; NOW MORE THAN EVER BEFORE!

IN MEMORY OF JOE GOSINSKI, 10-23-66 / 12-24-10. RIP JOE, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE MISSED.

"As long as there's America, there will always be a Mustang." - Jay Leno.

"The more time I spend in this place, the more I like dogs". - Me.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Posted Image <--- Current weather at Shelby American, Las Vegas, NV

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, modded. Sold Feb. 2007. Goodbye old friend, you will always be missed.

#5 OFFLINE   Tob

Tob

Neo Rapscallion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Joined 25-November 08

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:29 AM

As soon as the outside temperature goes down (I'm twenty minutes from downtown Buffalo, NY) my dash lights up indicating the same thing. If it warms up, the light will go off. My sensors are fine, and I have the programmer that is used to 'retrain' the sensors. After a lengthy discussion with my local Ford dealer, they all said the same thing - the system is a PIA, especially for them. They get a lot of people coming into their shop with brand new vehicles with the same complaint.

Tob

#6 OFFLINE   springer

springer

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:37 AM

Don't know if this applies to you, but on my Sequoia, my tire sensor light came on and it was the spare tire that was low on air. I had to take it to the dealer to figure it out. :banghead:
If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play!
Shelby Baer Extreme brakes, CS 69 wheels
Shelby installed Revan heat exchanger
Shelby installed Diablo Predator tune

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   GT500FLYBOY

GT500FLYBOY

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,112 posts
  • Joined 16-September 06
  • Region:Northeast

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:01 AM

Get yourself a training device - you can find them on ebay for like $15. set your tire pressure to what you want - then retrain all tires. i need to do this everytime i change sets of tires. i have set for the strip - set to 18lbs. everyday driving 35 lbs. road course 40lbs. i have also had tpms sensor problems, but you're going to want to do above anyway. start with that before you start dismounting tires to find a bad tpms. one indication of a bad tpms strap is you'll have tire balancing issues. you won't be able to get a tire properly balanced with the strap and tpms flopping around. if you don't have balancing issues - at least you know there are no broken straps. if you think you do, take a wheel a just roll it by hand - you should hear the strap and tpms flopping.

Proud member of Team 40th - 07XL0078

2007 Shelby GT500. Ordered 7/31/06. Built 2/8/07. Delivered 3/5/07.

40th Anniversary Shelby GT500 CSM07XL0078 completed 3/24/08.

Whipple 2.9L supercharger, 3.25" pulley, lower IW pulley,

Whipple monoblade TB. C&R radiator, dual fan I/C heat exchanger.
730 RWHP, 680 RWTQ. 1/4 11.18 @ 127.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 OFFLINE   mustangshelbygt500

mustangshelbygt500

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Joined 19-June 09

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

Typically it means the tires are low. I'd start out by putting some more air in the tires and see if that turns the dash warning off and go from there.

I think when it says "Low tire pressure", it means the tires are low. I did what you said anyway and it worked but after a mile I got the same warning again

Edited by mustangshelbygt500, 25 December 2009 - 10:09 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   mustangshelbygt500

mustangshelbygt500

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Joined 19-June 09

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

As soon as the outside temperature goes down (I'm twenty minutes from downtown Buffalo, NY) my dash lights up indicating the same thing. If it warms up, the light will go off. My sensors are fine, and I have the programmer that is used to 'retrain' the sensors. After a lengthy discussion with my local Ford dealer, they all said the same thing - the system is a PIA, especially for them. They get a lot of people coming into their shop with brand new vehicles with the same complaint.

Tob

At what temperature does that happen? if it's below 40 degrees then I'm fine, I guess.

Edited by mustangshelbygt500, 14 January 2010 - 10:43 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   mustangshelbygt500

mustangshelbygt500

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Joined 19-June 09

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

One of the sensors may have failed inside of the tires. Or one of the bands may have broken and a sensor might be floating around in there. Same thing happened to me a couple months back. Or it could just be a computer error.

Ken

When you have low tire pressure in one or more of your tires you will get a message saying "LOW TIRE PRESSURE" and a small amber icon of a flat tire will illuminate in your gage.

"TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT" is exactly what Ken (Kahmann) says it is. A loss of signal from one or more of the TPS's (tire pressure sensors). As stated, one or more mounting bands may have snapped, one or more of the sensors have failed, or they just need to be reprogrammed. Your dealer or most tire shops have a hand held device that is placed against the sidewall of the tire which uses a RF signal to reprogram each TPS in about five minutes or less. That would be the first thing that I would try, and if that doesn't clear the fault, then I would pursue the other potental causes of the fault code.

Get yourself a training device - you can find them on ebay for like $15. set your tire pressure to what you want - then retrain all tires. i need to do this everytime i change sets of tires. i have set for the strip - set to 18lbs. everyday driving 35 lbs. road course 40lbs. i have also had tpms sensor problems, but you're going to want to do above anyway. start with that before you start dismounting tires to find a bad tpms. one indication of a bad tpms strap is you'll have tire balancing issues. you won't be able to get a tire properly balanced with the strap and tpms flopping around. if you don't have balancing issues - at least you know there are no broken straps. if you think you do, take a wheel a just roll it by hand - you should hear the strap and tpms flopping.

Thank you all for the answers

Edited by mustangshelbygt500, 25 December 2009 - 07:08 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   mustangshelbygt500

mustangshelbygt500

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Joined 19-June 09

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

Don't know if this applies to you, but on my Sequoia, my tire sensor light came on and it was the spare tire that was low on air. I had to take it to the dealer to figure it out. :banghead:

I wish the problem was that, but GT500s don't come with spare tire

#12 OFFLINE   TexasShelby

TexasShelby

S197ShelbyOA #139

• Southern Plains Region
  • 2,946 posts
  • Joined 28-March 07
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:50 PM

I wish the problem was that, but GT500s don't come with spare tire

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

Made a Deposit in May of '05. Delivered November 1st. 2006.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users