#1 OFFLINE   ZepDad

ZepDad

ZepDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 11-June 07

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:27 PM

Completed replacement of the Shaker 500 speakers today. I now have 100% Kicker speakers paired with a Pioneer F700 touchscreen nav head unit. Amazing difference. Over the last several months I was becoming more and more frustrated with the Shaker speakers. They could get loud enough for that occasional urge to ROCK (come on...everyone has that certain driving song that must be played LOUD....try Radar Love for one), but I couldn't coax much clarity from the speakers despite trying a variety of EQ settings. The sound was just muddy and the factory subs very boomy.

When I found that Shelby was selling direct replacement Kicker door subs separate from the $1,200 upgrade kit, I had to jump. Until this set no other aftermarket subs have been available as direct fit in Shaker systems. I purchased from Champion Mustang for $139 Shelby subs. The 8" shallow mount subs say "CVT" on the speaker cone so I'm guessing they are from Kicker's CompVT line. I believe they are 2ohm single voice coil for compatibility with the Shaker amps. I've seen the CompVT's online for $75-$125 so the Shelby package price is reasonable. (If anyone is curious, the stock subs are dual voice coil. Each stock sub has 4 wires total with 2 separate inputs. For the Kicker install one of these wire sets is not used.)

I paired these with 4 Kicker KS680 6X8 for the parcel shelf and doors. Found on ebay for about $60 per pair. I also picked up 2 sets of Metra 72-5600 speaker adapter harnesses. (Shelby also sells Kicker 6x8 speakers separately for around $90 a pair. Can't say if they are the KS680 which Crutchfield sells in their "Signature" line for $130 a pair. The DS680 is the next step down in the Kicker line. The DS680's probably sound fine but the price on the KS680's was too good.)

The door install was fairly painless. Just a lot of pieces & parts to get to the speakers! By the way Shelby provides excellent instructions specific to the subs. The generic Crutchfield instructions floating around also provide a good walk-through for all the speakers (and radio). I can scan the Shelby instructions if anyone is interested.

The rear parcel speakers were a different matter. I'd like to meet the brilliant Ford engineer who decided, starting with 2007 models, to mount the speakers underneath the parcel shelf, thereby requiring nearly complete disassembly of the interior. ("Hey boss, I found a way to save $50 off the assembly cost and make life miserable for owners...."). The rears took 2.5 hours alone. The two doors only took about a hour each if that tells you something. I found great instructions at http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section/234158-how-to-07-rear-speaker-replacement-and-mod.html including a "must use" tip when installing the new speakers. Turn the orange mounting clips upside down and mount the speakers from the bottom. No clearance issues with the parcel shelf and easy to replace again if necessary. Way too easy for the Ford engineers I guess.

I can post pictures upon request, including the original factory speakers. How Ford can claim 500 watts from those puny things....

Highly recommended upgrade. Install isn't a breeze but most of us on this forum can handle with a little patience. You'll be rewarded with clean highs/mids and punchy bass. I can't vouch for the sound from the factory head unit but better speakers always help.

Edited by ZepDad, 27 March 2010 - 07:45 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   Burning Blue Star IV

Burning Blue Star IV

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,335 posts
  • Joined 14-June 09
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Hockey, Music, Love, Astronomy,country roads, camping, great food, Wine, playing guitar, Sci-Fi & Computers

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the terrific info. I would love to upgrade the speakers in my car at some point. (Probably a while down the line) As you mentioned the stock speaker and head unit is okay for just "average" use - you can't really crank it up. Seems like a strange thing to put in a car like this. I'd just be looking to replace the speakers...and keep my stock head unit. I've read about the nightmare of the rear deck install..and frankly, it scared me off.

I'd love to see some pics...if it's not too much trouble and maybe if someone else requests. I kind of figured the stock speakers were quite weak looking.
2010 Shelby GT500
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   ZepDad

ZepDad

ZepDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 11-June 07

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

Here are some pictures:

Factory Rear front:
Posted Image

Factory Rear back:

Posted Image

Factory front front:
Posted Image

Factory front back:
Posted Image

Factory sub back:
Posted Image

Factory sub side:
Posted Image

Shelby sub side:
[Sorry, forgot to take front view]
Notice the huge difference in magnet size as compared to the factory sub.
Posted Image

Shelby sub installed:
[the Shelby's do stick out more than the factory subs, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inches more]
[pardon the dirt!! it's pollen season in florida]
Posted Image

Kicker KS680 rear:
Posted Image

Kicker KS680 front (minus end tabs):
[Note: End tabs need to be removed for doors, just clip off with side cutters]
Posted Image

Edited by ZepDad, 27 March 2010 - 06:42 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Fontech

Fontech

LLR & TS, Perfect Match

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,507 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:30 PM

Here are some pictures:

Factory rear front:

Factory rear back:

Factory front front:

Factory front back:

Factory sub back:

Factory sub side:

Shelby sub side:
[Sorry, forgot to take front view]

Shelby sub installed:
[the Shelby's do stick out more than the factory subs, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inches more]

Kicker KS680 rear:

Kicker KS680 front (minus end tabs):
[Note: End tabs need to be removed for doors, just clip off with side cutters]

Posted Image The pics were stolen....

Tom
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

" Gator " a pure mean monster
2005 Mustang Gt Convertible Premium (Legend Lime)
Medium Parchment Interior,Black Top,Manual 5 Speed
Shaker 500,IUP,Side Airbags,Active Anti-Theft,Stock 17'' GT Wheels
Ordered 1st Time 12/18/04 Denied Due To IUP
Ordered 1/18/05, Start Build 2/14/05, Delivered 3/11/05, Owner 3/12/05
Mod's:
Billet Radio Knob,Billet A/C Knobs,Billet Bullet Door Pins, Billet (All Five Fluid Caps and Fuse Box)
Chrome Flame Rearview Mirror,Black Mats with FONTECH Embroidered, Axel-Back SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, K&N Typhoon CAI, CDC Black Lightbar, CDC Sequential Lights, Bembo GT500 Brakes
NC Forged Wheels with FONTECH Floating Center Cap
Front with 3" Lip BF Goodrich KDW-2 255/35/20, Back with 4" Lip BF Goodrich KDW-2 285/30/20, Paxton Supercharger Novi 2200 with Intercooler @ 420 rwhp
Special Notice:
Exhaust sound of the Fontech's GT Mustang on the 2006 Need For Speed Carbon Video Game. Thanks, Jesse Lyon
Overhaulin' with Chip Foose on TLC
Recorded 8/18/07, Aired 4/24/08

#5 OFFLINE   39Mustang

39Mustang

Team Shelby Member

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 1,518 posts
  • Joined 19-November 05
  • Region:Decline
  • Interests:Mustangs, Broncos, Dogs, Sports, Diecast, Traveling, Disney World (grew up in FL its the law!), Hawaii,
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

Completed replacement of the Shaker 500 speakers today. I now have 100% Kicker speakers paired with a Pioneer F700 touchscreen nav head unit. Amazing difference. Over the last several months I was becoming more and more frustrated with the Shaker speakers. They could get loud enough for that occasional urge to ROCK (come on...everyone has that certain driving song that must be played LOUD....try Radar Love for one), but I couldn't coax much clarity from the speakers despite trying a variety of EQ settings. The sound was just muddy and the factory subs very boomy.

When I found that Shelby was selling direct replacement Kicker door subs separate from the $1,200 upgrade kit, I had to jump. Until this set no other aftermarket subs have been available as direct fit in Shaker systems. I purchased from Champion Mustang for $139 Shelby subs. The 8" shallow mount subs say "CVT" on the speaker cone so I'm guessing they are from Kicker's CompVT line. I believe they are 2ohm single voice coil for compatibility with the Shaker amps. I've seen the CompVT's online for $75-$125 so the Shelby package price is reasonable. (If anyone is curious, the stock subs are apparently dual voice coil. Each stock sub has 4 wires hooked to different inputs. For the Kicker install one of these wire sets is not used.)

I paired these with 4 Kicker KS680 6X8 for the parcel shelf and doors. Found on ebay for about $60 per set. I also picked up 2 sets of Metra 72-5600 speaker adapter harnesses.

The door install was fairly painless. Just a lot of pieces & parts to get to the speakers! By the way Shelby provides excellent instructions specific to the subs. The generic Crutchfield instructions floating around also provide a good walk-through for all the speakers (and radio). I can scan the Shelby instructions if any one is interested.

The rear parcel speakers were a different matter. I'd like to meet the brillant Ford engineer who decided, starting with 2007 models, to mount the speakers underneath the parcel shelf, thereby requiring nearly complete disassembly of the interior. ("Hey boss, I found a way to save $50 off the assembly cost and make life miserable for owners...."). The rears took 2.5 hours alone. The two doors only took about a hour each if that tells you something. I found great instructions at http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section/234158-how-to-07-rear-speaker-replacement-and-mod.html including a "must use" tip when installing the new speakers. Turn the orange mounting clips upside down and mount the speakers from the bottom. No clearance issues with the parcel shelf and way too easy for the Ford engineers.

I can post pictures upon request, including the original factory speakers. How Ford can claim 500 watts from those puny things....

Highly recommended upgrade. Install isn't a breeze but most of us on this forum can handle with a little patience. You'll be rewarded with clean highs/mids and punchy bass. I can't vouch for the sound from the factory head unit but better speakers always help.

This is one of my next mods as the Shaker 500 in my 08 GT/SC is terrible! Funny thing is the Shaker 500 in my 06 GT daily driver sounds good but in the Shelby its below average quality. I heard the Shelby/Kicker setup at the Birthday bash in Vegas in Jan. and sounded good but I have no experience with Kicker before as in the past used Infinity, Kenwood, and MB Quarts for speakers. Different speakers sound good in different cars and anyone have an opinion as to what speakers they think sound great in the Mustang? Will only consider using Infinity, Kenwood, Pioneer, MB Quart, and maybe the Kickers.

1968 Mustang Fastback Restomod - in process of building
1970 Mustang Convertible 351C 4v Shaker - For Sale
1973 Mach 1 (Father's - original owner) - Restomod
1973 Mustang Convertible Q-code 351CJ Ram-Air
1992 SAAC MKI (Griggs GR40 equipped) - Up FOR SALE Ultra Rare! $45,000
2006 Mustang GT Legend Lime - FOR SALE $19,900 (loaded with goodies)
2008 Shelby GT/SC (Griggs equipped)
2013 Shelby GT350 Convertible

2014 Ford Raptor

#6 OFFLINE   ZepDad

ZepDad

ZepDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 11-June 07

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

Posted Image The pics were stolen....

Tom

Sorry 'bout that. Original post has been fixed.

#7 OFFLINE   ZepDad

ZepDad

ZepDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 11-June 07

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

This is one of my next mods as the Shaker 500 in my 08 GT/SC is terrible! Funny thing is the Shaker 500 in my 06 GT daily driver sounds good but in the Shelby its below average quality. I heard the Shelby/Kicker setup at the Birthday bash in Vegas in Jan. and sounded good but I have no experience with Kicker before as in the past used Infinity, Kenwood, and MB Quarts for speakers. Different speakers sound good in different cars and anyone have an opinion as to what speakers they think sound great in the Mustang? Will only consider using Infinity, Kenwood, Pioneer, MB Quart, and maybe the Kickers.

A lot of good speakers on the market. Any of those you listed will sound great I'm sure. I decided on Kicker mostly because of the direct replacement subs, with the Shelby sticker on them of course!!

#8 OFFLINE   Burning Blue Star IV

Burning Blue Star IV

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,335 posts
  • Joined 14-June 09
  • Interests:Hockey, Music, Love, Astronomy,country roads, camping, great food, Wine, playing guitar, Sci-Fi & Computers

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for posting the pics..and that is cool with the Shelby sticker on the door panel speakers for sure. I haven't had any experience with the Kicker brand either. Really hope to do this one day.
2010 Shelby GT500
Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   kahmann

kahmann

08SGT1292

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,343 posts
  • Joined 30-May 08
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Going fast.

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:21 PM

Those door subs look awesome. I'm definitely jumping on those for that price. I tried upgrading my system at one point with JL Audio top tier equipment. However, I didn't have a sub to put in the doors, because like you said, there was never a direct replacement until this Kicker setup. So I gained a lot of clarity, mids and highs, but had absolutely zero bass. It sounded excellent really loud, but the lack of bass was killing me. Then my Pioneer AVIC fried out after only 3 months of use. That was enough for me to yank everything out and sell it on eBay, then go back to stock. But a direct replacement, built by Kicker, with the Shelby name on it, that doesn't cost $1200 is too good to pass up. Thanks for the pics and opinion.

Ken

2008 Shelby GT (#1292 of 2214)
2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat

LIVERNOIS - WHIPPLE - MANLEY - COMP - GRIGGS RACING - WELDCRAFT - TOYO
SIG2-Racing2-2.jpg

#10 OFFLINE   ZepDad

ZepDad

ZepDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 11-June 07

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

I've read about the nightmare of the rear deck install..and frankly, it scared me off.

Yeah...the engineer should be taken out back and shot for that decision!! In all seriousness, it's time consuming but nothing can really go wrong. Everything is plastic secured by various push on fasteners. The large plastic interior pieces are awkward and do require a bit of coaxing to remove/replace, but I never felt like anything would break. I certainly would not want to do the job in the summer. You will be in the back of the car for some time. By the way, the Mustang Forum thread mentioned that window tint could be damaged by the awkward quarter panels. My windows are tinted and didn't have an issue. I just tried to be careful.

#11 OFFLINE   awakeinAZ

awakeinAZ

Team Shelby Member

• Mountain Region
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06
  • Region:Mountain
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

If I just wanted to change the subs out, do you have to remove the door panel?

On a side note, appearing on that page is a carbon fiber sirius satellite cover. First time I have seen one of these.

http://www.championm...roducts_id=1499
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   greaser

greaser

i am the knight rider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 24-January 08
  • Region:Great Lakes

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:29 PM

well there goes another 500 bones. lol
Posted Image
2007 SGT #4493 (performance white gt premium, light graphite leather, shaker 500, auto trany, IUP, active anti theft, wheel locks, and heated seats.)---mods--- bamachips tune(WOW), steeda underdrive pullies, ported and polished TB, anderson power pipe, berg cap, 20 inch anthracite rims, sequential tails, and quarter window block off plates, HID headlights, shorty antenna, A arm brace, riveted hood pin plates.
1989 CSX-VNT #267 (recaros)---mods--- none

"Buying, modifying, and driving sports cars is an expensive hobby. If you want good resale, buy a low mileage used Honda Accord." Chip Beck

pm me with your amsoil and mothers needs

#13 OFFLINE   ZepDad

ZepDad

ZepDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 11-June 07

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:18 AM

If I just wanted to change the subs out, do you have to remove the door panel?

Yes, the door panel will need to come off. The subs mount from the front; however, there is a 10mm bolt on the back side that secures the sub tightly into the door panel assembly. Probably necessary to prevent rattling. The Shelby woofers also use the same bolt.

(Edit) In fact you can see the bolt in the picture of the factory sub. The bolt mounts to the rear of the Shelby subs (see the black round tip in the Shelby side view).

Edited by ZepDad, 28 March 2010 - 02:30 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   andrewnagle1964

andrewnagle1964

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,415 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08
  • Region:South Atlantic

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:07 AM

Slightly off topic but need help, I have the stock Shaker 500 and upgraded to the Shelby Kicker finally got it in a month ago.

My son was home from school this weekend and I am like "Hey Dude listen to this "Kickin" system I got. He says sounds good, i am like "good" ? what about that rocking BASS !!! he says it is okay I am like I got 200 watts !!! he says nooooo you don't....

so we open the trunk turn up the bass and he is right nothing is coming from the sub woofer just the back speakers putting out good bass. So I emailed Kicker and and asked for help and then looked online and unless I am smoking crack the Shaker 500 does not work with the subwoofer ? ? Or was it a just a bad install or a bad unit ?

I'll be honest I really thought it was working because the bass coming from the other speakers is that good (for a 45 year old that is ) we had to put or ear on it and hand over it to know for sure .

Has anyone installed the Shelby Kicker with the Shaker 500 Head Unit and know for sure the subwoofer is thumping ?

Posted Image

Thanks
Andrew
The Black 07SGT4986 (RIP April14, 2010) to the White 07SGT4623......thanks for the grace of God no one died.

#15 OFFLINE   awakeinAZ

awakeinAZ

Team Shelby Member

• Mountain Region
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06
  • Region:Mountain
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:03 AM

Yes, the door panel will need to come off. The subs mount from the front; however, there is a 10mm bolt on the back side that secures the sub tightly into the door panel assembly. Probably necessary to prevent rattling. The Shelby woofers also use the same bolt.

(Edit) In fact you can see the bolt in the picture of the factory sub. The bolt mounts to the rear of the Shelby subs (see the black round tip in the Shelby side view).

Thx for the response.

Edited by awakeinAZ, 20 October 2012 - 08:41 PM.

Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   check6

check6

Team Shelby #3222 Terlingua CSM 07TRT0011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Joined 06-October 08
  • Interests:Math Teacher, Road Track Racing, coaching girls high school basketball, my two girls, and hubby

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:22 AM

Great write-up and pics. The Kicker system is definitely a mod on my list of things to do! :happy feet:

Leann

CSM 07TRT0011
First (and only?) Tungsten Grey Terlingua

Team Shelby #3222
Terlingua Racing Team Member
Fear The Bunny Club Member
LASAAC Member

USAF Retired

The "Grey Bunny" is sponsored by:

Royal Purple, Linear Logic, Scrublade, Slime, Agent 47, Race Ramps, Silverhorse Racing, US Speedo, Samco Sport, B & M Racing, Moroso Performance, K & N Filters, Taylor Cable Products, ShowWheels USA, Drake Muscle Cars, BBK Performance, Tokico Performance Shocks, Odyssey Battery, MGP Caliper Covers, Performance Distributors, Mishimoto Automotive, Maximum Motorsports, JLT Performance, BF Goodrich Tires, Baer Brakes, Fluidyne Radiators, J & M Products, Stuck-on-You Graphics, Autoglym Premium Car Care, and Stage 8 Locking Fasteners

Special Thanks to: Jason at 281 Motorsports, Alex at MacKenzie Mustang Supply, and Jeff at SVOC for their help and advise during my Terlingua build, and to my husband Rob for his hard work obtaining my sponsors. And lastly, to my wonderful sponsors who are helping to make my dream come true. Thank you all!

Taken at SEMA 2010, The Grey Bunny on display as part of Fords "Incredible Vehicles"

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   Burning Blue Star IV

Burning Blue Star IV

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,335 posts
  • Joined 14-June 09

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

Yeah...the engineer should be taken out back and shot for that decision!! In all seriousness, it's time consuming but nothing can really go wrong. Everything is plastic secured by various push on fasteners. The large plastic interior pieces are awkward and do require a bit of coaxing to remove/replace, but I never felt like anything would break. I certainly would not want to do the job in the summer. You will be in the back of the car for some time. By the way, the Mustang Forum thread mentioned that window tint could be damaged by the awkward quarter panels. My windows are tinted and didn't have an issue. I just tried to be careful.

Thanks again for the pointers. I was actually going to do this upgrade right after I got my car...Just remembering how easy it was to pop out those rear speakers in the past....thought it would be a simple swap. Then I read on line about the process with the newer cars. Ugh. Still...I think I will eventually do it.
2010 Shelby GT500
Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   ZepDad

ZepDad

ZepDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 11-June 07

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:52 AM

So I emailed Kicker and and asked for help and then looked online and unless I am smoking crack the Shaker 500 does not work with the subwoofer ? ? Or was it a just a bad install or a bad unit ?

Sorry to hear about your problems. At the Champion Mustang store The Kicker upgrade kit comes in two flavors, one for the Shaker system, one without. Based on the pictures the only difference is the door subs. SPP only sells the Shaker version and the description says, "compatible with either the factory Shaker 500 or 1000 system." [Curious SPP doesn't sell the non-Shaker version.]

Your problem could be either a bad install or bad unit. Some basic troubleshooting should point you in the right direction. Does the trunk sub have a separate 12V power supply? If so, I'd first verify that it's getting power. If power is good then test the signal from the amp. Use an old speaker at low volume to verify signal. If you have power and signal then the sub is probably bad; if power and no signal then check your wiring from the amp. Ultimately you may simply have a bad amp. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

#19 OFFLINE   39Mustang

39Mustang

Team Shelby Member

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 1,518 posts
  • Joined 19-November 05
  • Region:Decline
  • Interests:Mustangs, Broncos, Dogs, Sports, Diecast, Traveling, Disney World (grew up in FL its the law!), Hawaii,
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

When I found that Shelby was selling direct replacement Kicker door subs separate from the $1,200 upgrade kit, I had to jump. Until this set no other aftermarket subs have been available as direct fit in Shaker systems. I purchased from Champion Mustang for $139 Shelby subs. The 8" shallow mount subs say "CVT" on the speaker cone so I'm guessing they are from Kicker's CompVT line. I believe they are 2ohm single voice coil for compatibility with the Shaker amps. I've seen the CompVT's online for $75-$125 so the Shelby package price is reasonable. (If anyone is curious, the stock subs are dual voice coil. Each stock sub has 4 wires total with 2 separate inputs. For the Kicker install one of these wire sets is not used.)

I paired these with 4 Kicker KS680 6X8 for the parcel shelf and doors. Found on ebay for about $60 per pair. I also picked up 2 sets of Metra 72-5600 speaker adapter harnesses. (Shelby also sells Kicker 6x8 speakers separately for around $90 a pair. Can't say if they are the KS680 which Crutchfield sells in their "Signature" line for $130 a pair. The DS680 is the next step down in the Kicker line. The DS680's probably sound fine but the price on the KS680's was too good.)

The door install was fairly painless. Just a lot of pieces & parts to get to the speakers! By the way Shelby provides excellent instructions specific to the subs. The generic Crutchfield instructions floating around also provide a good walk-through for all the speakers (and radio). I can scan the Shelby instructions if anyone is interested.

The rear parcel speakers were a different matter. I'd like to meet the brilliant Ford engineer who decided, starting with 2007 models, to mount the speakers underneath the parcel shelf, thereby requiring nearly complete disassembly of the interior. ("Hey boss, I found a way to save $50 off the assembly cost and make life miserable for owners...."). The rears took 2.5 hours alone. The two doors only took about a hour each if that tells you something. I found great instructions at http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section/234158-how-to-07-rear-speaker-replacement-and-mod.html including a "must use" tip when installing the new speakers. Turn the orange mounting clips upside down and mount the speakers from the bottom. No clearance issues with the parcel shelf and easy to replace again if necessary. Way too easy for the Ford engineers I guess.

Do you have any pictures of the Shelby/Kicker subs in the trunk? Curious to how much space it takes up?

1968 Mustang Fastback Restomod - in process of building
1970 Mustang Convertible 351C 4v Shaker - For Sale
1973 Mach 1 (Father's - original owner) - Restomod
1973 Mustang Convertible Q-code 351CJ Ram-Air
1992 SAAC MKI (Griggs GR40 equipped) - Up FOR SALE Ultra Rare! $45,000
2006 Mustang GT Legend Lime - FOR SALE $19,900 (loaded with goodies)
2008 Shelby GT/SC (Griggs equipped)
2013 Shelby GT350 Convertible

2014 Ford Raptor

#20 OFFLINE   andrewnagle1964

andrewnagle1964

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,415 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

Do you have any pictures of the Shelby/Kicker subs in the trunk? Curious to how much space it takes up?

Here you go, it does not take up much room at all and tucks nicely into the corner.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Take Care
Andrew

The Black 07SGT4986 (RIP April14, 2010) to the White 07SGT4623......thanks for the grace of God no one died.

#21 OFFLINE   ZepDad

ZepDad

ZepDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 11-June 07

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

Refer to pictures above. My upgrade was rear parcel shelf and doors only. Paired with the Pioneer head unit it puts out nice clear sound with adequte volume and bass for my tastes. Obviously adding the amp and trunk woofer will add considerably more thump. Of course if you have an upgraded exhaust system it might be a necessity...... Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   ZepDad

ZepDad

ZepDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 11-June 07

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

Here you go, it does not take up much room at all and tucks nicely into the corner.

Take Care
Andrew

Andrew, based on the pictures of your trunk troubleshooting the sub won't be a problem!! Nice. Is that an NOS bottle?

One other thought about the sub, you may want to check your head unit settings. My Pioneer has an option to turn off the sub. It's buried in the audio settings menu and could be easily overlooked.

#23 OFFLINE   andrewnagle1964

andrewnagle1964

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,415 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

Andrew, based on the pictures of your trunk troubleshooting the sub won't be a problem!! Nice. Is that an NOS bottle?

One other thought about the sub, you may want to check your head unit settings. My Pioneer has an option to turn off the sub. It's buried in the audio settings menu and could be easily overlooked.

It is a Safecraft Fire Extinguisher, maybe one of these days we will go to the bottle.

Kicker called me tonight and they said the system works with the Shaker 500 he thinks it is the connection to the head unit, I have an appointment at the best car audio shop in town for Thursday and I talked to the owner and told him my concerns about leaving it at an audio shop and having someone take it for a joy ride. He assured me everything would be fine and that he is confident he can fix the issue.

Thanks
Andrew

#24 OFFLINE   andrewnagle1964

andrewnagle1964

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,415 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:59 AM

Kicker called me tonight and they said the system works with the Shaker 500 he thinks it is the connection to the head unit, I have an appointment at the best car audio shop in town for Thursday and I talked to the owner and told him my concerns about leaving it at an audio shop and having someone take it for a joy ride. He assured me everything would be fine and that he is confident he can fix the issue.

Thanks
Andrew

Bad flippin ground wire connection !!!!!!!!

It sounds freakin awesome no issues at all with the Shaker 500 head unit.

Garner Stereo Center is terrific and as the owner Chris said leave the mechanicing to Appalachian Performance and the tunes to us.

Take Care
Andrew

#25 OFFLINE   Burning Blue Star IV

Burning Blue Star IV

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,335 posts
  • Joined 14-June 09

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

It sounds freakin awesome no issues at all with the Shaker 500 head unit.

Glad to hear you got everything straightened out. So could you rate the difference from going from the shaker500 to kicker system? What would you give each system on a scale of 1 to 10?

I'm just dying to get this system into my car. The complete kit isn't available for the 2010's yet. The door and rear deck speakers are listed separately as fitting the 2010 model - but I think I'm going to try to hold off the temptation to jump on them now. I'm thinking that they might change them up a bit for the 2010 model. Who knows, but just in case...I better wait.
2010 Shelby GT500
Posted Image

#26 OFFLINE   i8acobra

i8acobra

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 278 posts
  • Joined 03-April 10

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:21 PM

So, has anyone done the complete Kicker upgrade to the Shaker 1000? Does the single Kicker sub sound better than the 1000's dual sub?
Aaron B.
'08 Mustang GT/CS
'87 Nissan Hardbody - The "Mud Mobile" (456,000 miles and still counting)

Posted Image

#27 OFFLINE   low86gt

low86gt

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 20-April 10

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:36 PM

I am looking at doing this same exact upgrade on my nephews 05. For now we want to keep the Shaker 500 deck. We plan to use the KS680s in all 4 corners. Thankfuly on the 05 the rear install is easy. Just pull the grills.

Did the Shelby kit come with with directions for installing just the subs? I emailed Shelby to ask about the install and the single coil instead of the factory and dual coil. I wanted to know about the Ohms and wiring. They were going to have to contact Kicker to get me the info.

If anyone has instructions can I please see a copy of them or if you have installed these without the rest of speaker and amp package can you let me know what you had do to?

thanks.

#28 OFFLINE   ZepDad

ZepDad

ZepDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 11-June 07

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:15 AM

I am looking at doing this same exact upgrade on my nephews 05. For now we want to keep the Shaker 500 deck. We plan to use the KS680s in all 4 corners. Thankfuly on the 05 the rear install is easy. Just pull the grills.

Did the Shelby kit come with with directions for installing just the subs? I emailed Shelby to ask about the install and the single coil instead of the factory and dual coil. I wanted to know about the Ohms and wiring. They were going to have to contact Kicker to get me the info.

If anyone has instructions can I please see a copy of them or if you have installed these without the rest of speaker and amp package can you let me know what you had do to?

thanks.

The Shelby sub kit came with specific, very thorough install instructions. The subs are single coil (one source input) and I think 2 ohm. The stock subs have two source inputs (2 wire pairs) and one of these will be cut and taped off. Shelby's instructions tell you which one to use.

I'm on my way out the door but will scan and post the instructions later today.

#29 OFFLINE   andrewnagle1964

andrewnagle1964

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,415 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:10 PM

thanks.

Kicker helped me and was extremely helpful I emailed them and a tech called me the next day.

Good Luck
Andrew

#30 OFFLINE   i8acobra

i8acobra

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 278 posts
  • Joined 03-April 10

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

So nobody's done the Kicker upgrade in a Shaker 1000 car?
Aaron B.
'08 Mustang GT/CS
'87 Nissan Hardbody - The "Mud Mobile" (456,000 miles and still counting)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users