Photo

What tech articles would you like to see?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Evil95GT

Evil95GT

Come on, Rob......just ban me already

• Great Lakes Region
  • 1,336 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05
  • Region:Decline

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:24 PM

We need your input on what kind of tech coverage you'd find useful. With StangsUnleashed in possession of four Mustangs, there's a whole lot of different things we can do. What would you find helpful? Are there any specs you have trouble finding when working on your Stang? Tell us!

Michelle
1989 Mustang LX
1995 Mustang GT

Jealous of what? I'm ideal, and I don't need a bunch of leghumpers to confirm what I already know. Love it.

Use email.......PMs are NOT private anymore

#2 OFFLINE   ford4v429

ford4v429

Old Ford Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 207 posts
  • Joined 28-September 05

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:27 AM

We need your input on what kind of tech coverage you'd find useful. With StangsUnleashed in possession of four Mustangs, there's a whole lot of different things we can do. What would you find helpful? Are there any specs you have trouble finding when working on your Stang? Tell us!

a couple things...any chance of getting the info from ford for the climate control motor potentiometer/resistor ratings? the new cars basically have 90% defrost in'floor' mode, and I had intended to pick mine apart and add a extra tuning pot and/or resistors to adjust the blend motor feedback, but if they would have the info evailable(resistance or voltage controller looks for in all three door positions) it would save some time...perhaps one of the engineers night even know if theres a calibration pot or two in the control module already?

I for one would sure like to know what the 'improved' fuel tank internal venting changed, and what all the stuff is below the trunk...looks like vapor canister, but its also the only apparent connection between the two sides of the tank- unless you can corner hard enough to spill fuel from one side to the other...a guy on another forum mentioned having his vapor canister unhooked or something to get rid of his fuel fill problems- I really wouldnt want to unhook mine, but if there would be a way to improve the odds of filling without pouring gasoline down the side of the car, I'd sure like to hear it...currently I know of ONE gas station about 10 minutes away that I can fill at low rate with only a little spillage...Ive only been to 2 other stations, both of which made the side of the car look like a decorative fountain after the pump shut off...and no, my fill tube is not damaged...have heard the same story from others on other forums- the tube is just to small/venting not effective enough to allow flow rates from some pumps...there has GOT to be a better way. If I gotta add another vent and run back to top of fill tube, so be it, I just would hate to be needing to stop at 3/4 tank when on vacation due to unknown pumps...

2006 Vista blue Mustang GT stick (13.78 @ 103 and 25 mpg bone stock)
2007 Vista blue Pony/Auto (wifes)
2009 Vista blue Mustang GT stick(stored with 3 miles on it)
1969 Acapulco blue Fastback
1965 Caspian blue 4dr hdtp Galaxie500 LTD (gift from old friend/neighbor)

#3 OFFLINE   moabman

moabman

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,806 posts
  • Joined 10-May 06

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:03 PM

How about an article on tires?
Mark
2007 GT premium covertible, alloy clearcoat, interior upgrade, premium trim, black/chamois, charcoal panel, side airbags, active anti-theft, shaker 500, autotranny
status: ordered 10/06, serialized 11/16, segment 12/4, locked 11/27, bucked 12/4, released from plant 12/8, shipped week of 12/28 ETA week of 1/7, picked up 1/9
mods: 18" Shelby Cobra GT500 rims and Michelin Pilot Sport 255/45/ZR18, Webelectrics sequential tailights, Steeda upper control arm, FRPP 5230-5GT axleback mufflers, FRPP drag pack w/ 3.73 gears, shorty headers, and CAI. FRPP handling pack with dual rate springs, front and rear swaybars with new urethane bushings and links, tuned Multimatic dampers. GT500 rear spoiler and CS front fascia. Saleen Speedlab Series VI supercharger - 475 hp version with JDM tune.
next mods - brakes

#4 OFFLINE   lambbo

lambbo

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Joined 05-July 06

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:34 PM

How about suspension, I would like to see what options we have to get the S197GT/GT500 to transfer weight to the rear.

Thanks,

Jim
2007 Alloy/Satin Silver Kenne Bell GT500
aka "manOwar"
752rwhp/630rwtq

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   dsabldvt

dsabldvt

dsabldvt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined 09-May 06
  • Region:Other

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:54 PM

#6 OFFLINE   Evil95GT

Evil95GT

Come on, Rob......just ban me already

• Great Lakes Region
  • 1,336 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:06 PM

Specifically, what kind of tire article would you like to see? One with a general explanation of sizes and compounds, or something more along the lines of what brand works in specific situations?

As far as suspension, what about something on traction devices? Is this what you're looking for?

Let me know, and we'll try to assist. :)
Michelle
1989 Mustang LX
1995 Mustang GT

Jealous of what? I'm ideal, and I don't need a bunch of leghumpers to confirm what I already know. Love it.

Use email.......PMs are NOT private anymore

#7 OFFLINE   lambbo

lambbo

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Joined 05-July 06

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:28 PM

As far as suspension, what about something on traction devices? Is this what you're looking for?

Let me know, and we'll try to assist. :)

Yes, Options that will stop the rearend from moving/twisting causing wheel-hop. Also any kind of sub-frame connectors that attach to the rearend and help with the extra weight in the nose. I did this on older vehicles using Ladder Bars.

Jim
2007 Alloy/Satin Silver Kenne Bell GT500
aka "manOwar"
752rwhp/630rwtq

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   KingCobra

KingCobra

Amy and Carroll's #1 fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Joined 08-October 05

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:41 PM

I suggested a thread with SA for people like me.

I don't have the vast knowledge and experience like many on this forum.

Although the capabilities of this car are awesome, there have been sacrifices

for cost savings that have reduced the power output of the engine reducing

accelleration. Also handling is in the most need, particularly when it comes

to wheel hop and hooking up the rear tires. Where as the concept had Brembo's

on all four corners, the production version sacrificed the rears for stock Mustang GT's.

I just want to have the most knowledgable, and trustworthy advice possible to

steer my choices to maximize the potential for daily performance, without undue

sacrifice of durability, dependability and comfort. I can't think of anyone more

reputable at dependably tweaking the ultimate performance out of MY car, than

Carroll Shelby and Shelby Auto's.

Would increasing the size of the rear tires help hookup? If so what is the largest size
that would fit the GT500 that would be recommended?

Would replacing the rear brakes to the originally spec'd Brembo's noticably improve
braking performance?

I've noticed on video showing the Shelby under hard braking that the front air splitter
dives pretty close to the ground. Some people talk about lowering the car to lower center
of gravity to improve handling but how far is too much? Will the Shelby/Eibach suspension
that SA is going to introduce also going to address ride height?

I heard some talk that the exhaust that SA was going to introduce would also replace the
headers. How much improvement would this provide, and can the headers be replaced
without pulling the engine?

Performance chip tunes, pulley swaps, cold air inductions.......
So many choices that require a single source of guidance, based on the results I personally
want to achieve is why.......Shelby Auto's I need your help!!!!!!!

KingCobra.
James
2007 Shelby GT500 coupe
Torch Red with Performance White Stripes
Charcoal/Crimson int. with int. upgrade package
Ordered May 5, 2005 / Built June 30, 2006 / Received October 4, 2006.

40th Anniversary Package #17 07XL0017 with chrome wheels

Arrived at SAI September 7, 2007.
40th Anniversary package complete September 24, 2007.
Picking up my new 40th at SAI in Las Vegas on November 1, 2007
delivered, hand signed and documented by Carroll Shelby himself!!!!!!!

First 40th Anniversary Shelby GT500 in Canada, and the only one in the
country to attend this once in a lifetime, historic event.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 OFFLINE   seobtspro

seobtspro

vietnam outsourcing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 09-May 12
  • Interests:vietnam outsourcing

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

thanks. visit was useful. I will visit more.

#10 OFFLINE   seobtspro02

seobtspro02

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 28-May 12
  • Interests:may lanh

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:22 AM

thanks. it 's useful.

#11 OFFLINE   Denstang65

Denstang65

Denstang65

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,273 posts
  • Joined 24-March 10
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, playing ice hockey when I can, driving my tribute GT350 everywhere.
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

I wish my car was one of the four and you guys could do your magic for free, then I would take the result to shows and show off your handy work :drool: I do have an idea I would love to do to mine and I have not seen it done yet! But if I told you, I would have to kill you :hysterical: Honestly, I think I will try my ideas in a couple of years, this way it would be a "one off ".

#12 OFFLINE   redwingone

redwingone

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 13-July 07

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:30 AM

i would like to see the specific problems our cars enjoy addressed. for example, suspension principles and geometry ( center of gravity etc.)explained and then how it applies to our cars and how and why we have to chan ge control arms /caster camber plates and where is the weakspots in our setup so we can make informed decisions on the right mods to make here.

IAT1 and IAT2, do i need to know what these are before modding.
Back space/offset/ never can get the same explanation from any 2 "experts". I need to be able to buy a wheel without guessing if its going to fit.
Transmissions and clutches explained and where is the weakspot here so we can understand once and for all why there have been 4 TSB's, and missed 1-2 shifts.Thanks to grabber we have a good knowledge here . I want to know how "our" synchros work so we can make an informed decision when the ford rep blames tremec and then tremec blames the clutch.I need to better understand what makes the "hiss" test a good diagnostic tool. What makes the new 2012 clutch work better. whats a better replacement for the clutch--- OEM, mcleod, spec , and why. dual disc,why not triple??

Tuning explained and why is a "lund" tune all that.

cooling explained and why do these cars need an upgrade to cooling. these cars had to be tested before production, ford couldnt have missed that.

Pinion angle, whats the big deal. solid driveshaft as opposed to a split shaft.

exhaust sysstems explained so we can mod these without a slocum budget

and how to get the sound you want and why some are raspy

lighting principles explained so we dont have guys melting their foglight housings trying to see better. bulb temperature whats that.

what makes a good street setup as opposed to track, and why. again specific to our cars.

And I would like to see all these different systems explained with actual pics from our cars eg. show me the synchros in our transmissions and not some generic sketch.

i hope i answered what you are asking and i also hope if you decide to go ahead that you dont hold back on who you might offend(ie manufacturers, vendors etc. )

I guess what I am trying to say is there is so much goobly gob out there that if we had a better understanding of the individual systems specific to our cars and the shortcomings then we could do more informed modding since we cant leave well enough alone and just want to make our cars better.

thank you for the generous offer stangsunleashed .

ken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users