#1 OFFLINE   sfadchi

sfadchi

Whipple Bad Ass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Joined 31-August 08

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:07 PM

This is the second stock tensioner I have tore up so I decided to go another route. I picked up a new Thump RRR heavy duty belt tension from Lethal and it will be installed this week when the motor goes back together.

For anyone that wants to switch theirs out, it's the easiest thing to do. It's just one bolt that hold it on. This tensioner is also much stronger than the stock one so it will help prevent belt slip.

Thump RRR Racing 07-10 GT500 Heavy Duty Belt Tensioner [TR-GT500] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Out with the old! Look at how easy that metal bends.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Check out the quality of this piece!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
9.60@146.43 (On drag radials and the stock six speed)
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   me32

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Joined 13-November 08
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

man looks very nice man,
Posted Image
2008 Shelby GT500
2921 out of 6513 coupes
132 of 314 Alloy Metallic

Shelby Dash Plaque,FRPP TVS Super power pack ,Drag Pack,SVT handling pack,FRPP Cobra Jet TB/MAF/80lb injectors,J&M UCA,LCA,Adj.PHB,SFC,PH A/D,O/R H, DynoMax 3in,CHE, Shelby Rad/HE,VMP 2.59,KB BAP,L&M plenum,BMR KMEMEBER,AED CUSTOM RETURN STYLE FUEL SYSTEM.
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
730HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

#3 OFFLINE   harley99fb

harley99fb

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Joined 20-March 06

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

Sweet....but pricey.....but guess that's the price of goin fast. :superhero:
[2007 Shelby GT500 White / Blue stripes

[size=2]Ford Racing TVS Supercharger
L&M Throttle Body and Cobra Jet MAF
American racing headers with H-pipe
Ultimate Lowering package
3.73 gear
One piece aluminum driveshaft
Steeda shifter
Original Proglass Hood
[size=5]

680 rwhp 655 rwtq

TS Member #103

#4 OFFLINE   sfadchi

sfadchi

Whipple Bad Ass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Joined 31-August 08

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

Sweet....but pricey.....but guess that's the price of goin fast. :superhero:

Not much more than the stocker!
9.60@146.43 (On drag radials and the stock six speed)
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   GR40Freak

GR40Freak

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 482 posts
  • Joined 06-November 08

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

Anxious to hear how it work for you. You are one of the very few people that really use your car HARD. I'm looking to add the FRPP 550HP Whipple kit along with the Revan aftercooler to my Mustang and I hear the RRR tensioner is needed to make sure it works consistently.

Just to be clear you are doing something called "Drag Racing" I'm not familar with that. :)

Colin Sebern
Griggs Racing
CorteX Racing

Flying down the Laguna Seca Corkscrew w/dad riding shotgun!

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   03 DSG Snake

03 DSG Snake

Team Shelby Member

• Members E
  • PipPip
  • 2,566 posts
  • Joined 11-May 06
  • Region:Decline

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

Looks like they finally started including a longer bolt.

When I received mine the bolt was a lot shorter. Tried to get a longer one but the one they are using is machined.

Sweet unit though, been happy with mine. :happy feet:
Posted Image

2003 Dark Shadow Grey Cobra Coupe
Pulley, intake, long tubes, MM coil overs, tubular A arms, etc.
484rwhp/479rwtq

2007 Tungsten Grey Shelby GT500
KR mufflers, Intake, Handling Pack, DSS Driveshaft, Steeda LCAs, Maximum Motorsports C/C Plates and Panhard Bar, '08 Crank Pulley, HRE wheels, Custom Tune
545rwhp/530rwtq

#7 OFFLINE   justindewoody

justindewoody

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Joined 02-July 09

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

I have recently installed my ThumpRRR belt tensioner and it is super heavy duty. It's so damn tough...it will last FOREVER. I broke 3 stock tensioners the exact same way you did, so I absolutely had to get one of the ThumpRRR's. It's awesome. If anyone works on their own car and removes the belt for any reason, you are DEFINITELY gonna break your stock tensioner...sooner rather than later. And you will DEFINITELY need to go ahead and get one of these. It will be the last belt tensioner you will ever buy...cuz it's a bad mamma jamma!

2011 Shelby GT500

Whipple 2.9--L&M 72--Whipple CAI--IW 10% lower--72 lb. Injectors-JL Tune

725 RWHP

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   vapor08730

vapor08730

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Joined 15-July 08

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:38 AM

I got one of these last week . I have to say the Thump RRR belt Tensioner is a very very nice piece. It is super heavy duty .
Very easy to install and fit like a gem. I will also say that my belt made noise and i would replace the belt and shortly after it would start to squeak . I tried all the things i saw on this board and it would never stay gone. This tensioner so far has made my noise disappear. No more noise YEAH !! We will see if it stays away and will let you guys know.
Very Very happy so far. Great product !!!!

#9 OFFLINE   TX STIG

TX STIG

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Joined 20-January 10

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

How well do some of the other brands work that are "pretty" and more visible closer to the SC?

Posted Image
VMP Tune - 4.10 Gears - BMR Rear LCAs - Griggs Panhard Bar - IW 10% Pulley - Revan Racing Dual Fan HE
Aeroforce Interceptor - Roush Vent Pod - Forgestar F14 Wheels 20x11/9 - Nitto NT05 315/35 & 275/40
FRPP Tower Brace - FRPP Brake Cooling Kit - FRPP Resonator Eliminator - FRPP Blue Valve Covers
Dynatech LT Headers - High Flow Cats - VMP OE-Look IC Reservoir - Baer 2-Piece Rear Rotors
VMP 67mm Throttle Body - VMP 90mm Idler Pulley - Metco 2.6" Pulley - Metco Aux Idler
Magnaflow 4" x 18" Round-Body Resonators with OEM Mufflers - Custom H-Pipe
2010 SHELBY GT500, Navigation Package, HID's
My Pictures
SOLD :-(
WHEEL OFFSET: FRONT +40, REAR +53

#10 OFFLINE   justindewoody

justindewoody

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Joined 02-July 09

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

How well do some of the other brands work that are "pretty" and more visible closer to the SC?

That's not really a tensioner, you are referring to an idler assembly. I have the Steeda one and it looks great, but only puts a small amount of tension on the belt.

2011 Shelby GT500

Whipple 2.9--L&M 72--Whipple CAI--IW 10% lower--72 lb. Injectors-JL Tune

725 RWHP

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   HARLEYDEALER

HARLEYDEALER

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Joined 04-February 07
  • Interests:I am in to anything with wheels and a motor, fast is good, faster is better. Been a mechanic all my life but for a living about 14 years. Love working on my cars, do most of the the work in my shed on a two post lift on my four cars, shelby GT500, 2006 Z06 corvett, 2005 H2 Hummer and 2002 suburban. Done mods on all. All so I am in to guns, rc cars ,trucks, buggies and boats and planes, old slot machines and hit and miss engines. Also fishing, yard work and most of PRETTY women!

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

That's not really a tensioner, you are referring to an idler assembly. I have the Steeda one and it looks great, but only puts a small amount of tension on the belt.

Actually the Steeda is conceder an tensioner, a manual one, the lower is spring loaded. The Steeda has the capabilities of over tighten the belt to the point of causing damage to bearings including the blower and shorten the life of the belt and pulleys. The upper ones are also used for add to belt wrap, unless you are running the new Kenny Bell 3.6, then there is no room as of now, but running the 4 inch upper belt wrap is not a problem. With the 10 under lower and the 4" pulley I'm still pulling over 20 pounds boost. Bill

Attached Files

#12 OFFLINE   TX STIG

TX STIG

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Joined 20-January 10

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:21 AM

So what is this I just ordered?

http://www.lethalper...g-idler-p-27072

Does it not replace the idler pulley, or is it just extra bling? Do I still need the 90mm idler pulley if I'm adding a 2.6" upper pulley?

Edited by TX STIG, 28 April 2010 - 04:22 AM.

Posted Image
VMP Tune - 4.10 Gears - BMR Rear LCAs - Griggs Panhard Bar - IW 10% Pulley - Revan Racing Dual Fan HE
Aeroforce Interceptor - Roush Vent Pod - Forgestar F14 Wheels 20x11/9 - Nitto NT05 315/35 & 275/40
FRPP Tower Brace - FRPP Brake Cooling Kit - FRPP Resonator Eliminator - FRPP Blue Valve Covers
Dynatech LT Headers - High Flow Cats - VMP OE-Look IC Reservoir - Baer 2-Piece Rear Rotors
VMP 67mm Throttle Body - VMP 90mm Idler Pulley - Metco 2.6" Pulley - Metco Aux Idler
My Pictures

#13 OFFLINE   skyhighsd

skyhighsd

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 406 posts
  • Joined 12-June 08
  • Interests:fast cars and easy women

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:59 AM

Does it not replace the idler pulley, or is it just extra bling? Do I still need the 90mm idler pulley if I'm adding a 2.6" upper pulley?

No you run that also and it is not just bling it also helps with the amount of rap on the SC pulley which is always a good thing. More rap=less slip, period.

#14 OFFLINE   HARLEYDEALER

HARLEYDEALER

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Joined 04-February 07
  • Interests:I am in to anything with wheels and a motor, fast is good, faster is better. Been a mechanic all my life but for a living about 14 years. Love working on my cars, do most of the the work in my shed on a two post lift on my four cars, shelby GT500, 2006 Z06 corvett, 2005 H2 Hummer and 2002 suburban. Done mods on all. All so I am in to guns, rc cars ,trucks, buggies and boats and planes, old slot machines and hit and miss engines. Also fishing, yard work and most of PRETTY women!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:02 AM

It's an additional to your stock idler, that may have an adjustment as in three positions for the pulley to sit in. That will help with the extra slack due to a smaller upper, plus give more belt wrap. The 90mm you asked about, may or may not be needed. I know that with the 2.8 KB I ran different upper pulleys for racing and I used different pulley combinations to keep the belt tension were I wanted it, without the need to change belts. Bill

#15 OFFLINE   TX STIG

TX STIG

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Joined 20-January 10

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:04 AM

OK, thanks guys!

I thought I was replacing the idler pulley with this kit. I will go ahead and get the 90mm idler pulley from VMP just to be safe.

Posted Image
My Pictures

#16 OFFLINE   Captainbob

Captainbob

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Joined 05-November 06
  • Interests:Previous cars
    65 GTO 389 six pack
    69 Z28 302 DZ
    71 stingray corvette
    01 SS camero SLP pkg
    01 Z06 CAI, tune, exhaust mods 450hp
    07 GT500 KB3.6 LC the best of the rest! 1000hp

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

I have recently installed my ThumpRRR belt tensioner and it is super heavy duty. It's so damn tough...it will last FOREVER. I broke 3 stock tensioners the exact same way you did, so I absolutely had to get one of the ThumpRRR's. It's awesome. If anyone works on their own car and removes the belt for any reason, you are DEFINITELY gonna break your stock tensioner...sooner rather than later. And you will DEFINITELY need to go ahead and get one of these. It will be the last belt tensioner you will ever buy...cuz it's a bad mamma jamma!

Pretty sure I need one.. Thanks for the scoop..

GT500 mods: Kenne Bell 3.6 Liquid cooled Stage III
, 900HP/ 815 RWHP ON 4" PULLEY.. 10% Lower pulley, 80lb. injectors, Dyna tech ceramic coated headers, Dynatech hi flow cats/ X pipe, FRPP Borla exhaust,
FRPP 410 gears, 3" Fidenza Chromoly 900hp driveshaft, Detroit Tru track rear end, Pro 5.0 linkage, Moser axles, Afco Pro-series Dual Pass Heat Exchanger, Shelby custom centercaps, BMR LCA, Granatelli tire fryer line locks, QA1 racing shocks, F-P-S short block, CCR H beam rods, Ross pistons, Hellfire rings, ARP 2000 studs, Shelby autographed dash.,
Pics&clips-- Best 1/4 mi. = 10.8 @ 134.7 mph TVS

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=i9lomLf-1oA 10 second 1/4 mile 5/20/11
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uxVDfMSU3NI 11.00 vs Vette 5/20/11
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=F1zvOfC9X_k Kenne Bell 3.6 Dyno video
http://www.youtube.c...tKWxsT_q-s&NR=1 Cervini hood video
http://www.heraldnet....in.CCCA.finals 1st place
815 RWHP-712 RWTQ so far..and climbing..

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users