Photo

Questions by dummies: post any question here!

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#271 OFFLINE   2010KonaBlueGT

2010KonaBlueGT

There's room at the top. Space is limited...RSVP!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,766 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Anything Fast - Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Planes, Women, etc. Building Hi-Po engines. Sailing, Riding Motorcycles (dirt & street), Racing - Motorcycles & Cars, Bowling & Drinking Beer!

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:21 AM

Ive got a Gen 1, and love it.  I thought about upgrading, but I don't have any issues with the Gen 1.  SOLID is the word that describes this shifter.  The stock one caused me so many problems: 1) engaging 1st at a stop and 2) revving 1st out to redline, and not getting 2nd sometimes.  No issues now.  Oh and ADD THE AMSOIL ATF!!  Fixes all cold shifting notchiness.

I went with Royal Purple myself.  But not until just recently.

Phill

2010 GT500 Coupe
Kona Blue w/White OTT Stripes and Red Accent Stripes
Electronics Package, HID's & Car Cover

CURRENT MODS: FRPP: Whipple 2.9L Polished Superchager w/Crusher Inlet & Cobra Jet Dual 65mm Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers - Ford GT Blue Cam Covers - Polished Billet COP & Oil Filler Cap Covers - FR3 Handling Pack w/Tokico Struts/Shocks & Eibach Swaybars - Jounce Bumpers - 8.8" Low Profile Axle Girdle - 3" Front Brake Cooling Ducts - Vacuum/Boost Gauge~ MGW: Short Throw Shifter - White w/Blue Stripes Shifter Knob - Radiator and Intercooler Degas Bottle Caps - Seat Recliner Lever Covers - Parking Brake Handle Cover - Coat Hanger Hooks~ PST: 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft~ Revan Racing: C&R Radiator and Intercooler~ ROUSH: 3x Intercooler Degas Bottle - Side Splitters - Extreme Off-road Exhaust - Adjustable Trailing Arms (LCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link (UCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link Bracket - AC Vent Pod Vac/Boost Gauge Mount~ SHELBY: SC Aux. Idler Pulley - Oil Dipstick Handle, MC, PS & WS Washer Reservoir Caps - 8-qt. Oil Pan - Tubular K-Member Subframe - Tubular A-arms - CS S1000 Billet Aluminum Transmission Crossmember - Seat Harness Bar - 6S Extreme Rear Brakes - 6S Extreme Front Brakes - GT500KR Front Brake Cooling Duct Bezels - Anti Bump-stear Tie-rod Ends - Race Style Swaybar Links - Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates - Adjustable Panhard Bar - Panhard Bar/Body Brace - GT500KR Rear Axle Reservoir - Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets -18" GT500KR Alcoa Dura-Bright Wheels & Goodyear GT500KR Winged Boot F1 Supercar Tires~ Raptor Shift Light

PURCHASED AND AWAITING INSTALLATION: Shelby/Metco Fuel Rails - Shelby Alcoa Forged 20" Dura-Bright Super Snake Style Wheels - Shelby Billet Aluminum Fuel Door - NMB2 2-Stage WOT Box - Granatelli Motors Tire Fryer Line-lock - ZEX N2O kit - Ford Racing Lighted Sill Plates w/Ford Racing logo.

Soon to be "For Sale": Eradispeed Rear Brake Rotors & Caliper Relocation Brackets

#272 OFFLINE   drshotty

drshotty

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Joined 26-February 15
  • Region:Southern Plains
  • Interests:Mustangs, going fast, petroleum major.
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:33 AM

Just was given a triple gauge pod from a local winning at a car show. What company gauges do y'all have a preference for? and do y'all prefer mechanical or electrical gauges? 

IMG_4038_zpse4ukdy2y.jpg

#273 OFFLINE   SHLBY EH

SHLBY EH

GT500ing it all the way!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts
  • Joined 28-January 14
  • Region:Canada
  • Interests:Enjoying my GT500
    One day getting me a 1968 Fastback Mustang - Dream is an R-code manual.
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:28 AM

2nd gear issue; 2012 GT500. 

I have read as many threads as I am able to find here and curious if anyone else has / had something similar to me.

1st noticed when I drove to Carlisle PA to the Ford Nationals.  After a long drive - couple hours on the hwy, I was not able to get into 2nd gear downshifting from 3rd in traffic.  Was like it was not there; no where to go to. 

It is a scary thing when downshifting in traffic and can't get to 2nd. 

Eventually 2nd is found (after sitting at a dead stop for a few minutes) but it was mushy (for lack of a better description) and I could slush into 2nd gear from a dead stop.  After the car cooled off when I got to the hotel all was fine. (had to do a beer run)

Happened again this past weekend when I went for a couple hour drive and once again found traffic and was unable to get into 2nd gear.  Had to use brakes from 3rd. Can get to 2nd from 1st when starting from a dead stop and is slushy (definitely the shift to 2nd does not feel 'normal').

Once again after stop and go traffic for a few miles was able to use the slushy 2nd gate. 

I really don't get it, and this only happens after a long drive and (IMO & best guess) there is significant heat from all the moving internals for the extended period.

Not 100% sure this will be fixed with a replacement shifter and curious if this occurrence is mine alone.

If you had similar, please reply and what did you do to fix.

Not sure if I should try calling FoMoCo direct to ask, as I am pretty confident the dealer will not find or duplicate. I will not leave my car for LONG drive to see if they can duplicate.

Thank you.

2012 Shelby GT500 perf white, SVT PP (SVT Track Pack), Electronics Package, Borla exhaust, Blue Airaid Synthamax Air Filter, BIRTHDATE 05/23/2011

2003 Mach1 DSG (1of1595) IUP, MGW black locking fuel door, sequential flashers, K&N, Mach1 scuff plates, ID tags, MRT shifter, Borla cat back, Steeda full length subframe connectors, 3pt STB, AFS black chrome Mach1 Heritage 17 x 9 & 17 x 10.5 shoes, MRT hood struts.
BIRTHDATE - 04/09/2003
SHLBY-EH-TS-rs.jpg

#274 OFFLINE   08KR525

08KR525

08KR525

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 30-October 09
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Interests:Family, Performance vehicles, antiques.

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:46 AM

SHELBY EH I understand you not wanting to leave it at the dealership. If the car is out of warranty I would start with draining the gearbox and refilling with either Amsoil or Royal Purple. With what your describing it doesn't seem like the shifter is the issue or it would most likely do it all the time. It's also possible that it's clutch related. GL

Edited by 08KR525, 15 July 2015 - 03:47 AM.

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><sub class='bbc'></sub> " My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people; those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition." - Indira Ghandi.

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

#275 OFFLINE   ShelbyGT5HUN

ShelbyGT5HUN

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 17-March 14
  • Interests:Driving my Shelby

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:55 PM

Ok here it goes...

I received a 1/14 scale GT500 radio controlled car, as a gift, in red. It's the licensed one from Shelby.  Looks great on my desk!   I want to change the color.  Any idea on paint / plastic compatibility?  Which paint type to go with?  I don't want to melt the plastic, yet don't really want to test an area on the car either.

I'm thinking someone here has already done this.  Then I would need a set of 1/14 scale flat black vinyl stripe decal kit (long shot).

Thanks

#276 OFFLINE   GT500_012308

GT500_012308

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 27-July 16
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:GT500

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:29 AM

at what point does the block need to be built? planning on a VMP gen2 and all supporting bolts ons running 91 I am in utah so elevation is about 4500ft

Thanks

Edited by GT500_012308, 05 August 2016 - 05:43 AM.

#277 OFFLINE   Ford Fest

Ford Fest

Team Shelby Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 872 posts
  • Joined 08-October 11
  • Region:Northern Plains

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:18 PM

at what point does the block need to be built? planning on a VMP gen2 and all supporting bolts ons running 91 I am in utah so elevation is about 4500ft

Thanks

I would reachout to VMP. Justin or BJ can help you.

2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniversary
Built July 2006 - Converted March 2009
FRPP TVS & CAI

Shelby Extreme-Plus Brake System
Short Throw Shifter

Proud member of Team 40th - CSM 07XL0298

th_IMG_5390.jpg

#278 OFFLINE   ShelbyGT5HUN

ShelbyGT5HUN

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 17-March 14

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

750rwhp is the ultimate safe limit, but watch out people have blown motors at this power level.  700rwhp is considered safe.  At these big power levels revs will kill, and make sure your injectors are up to the task (clean and blueprinted/flow checked)!

#279 OFFLINE   1 Alibi 2

1 Alibi 2

" Chance favors the prepared mind "

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Joined 05-August 10
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:movies, music, the Shelby(s)

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:52 PM

750rwhp is the ultimate safe limit, but watch out people have blown motors at this power level.  700rwhp is considered safe.  At these big power levels revs will kill, and make sure your injectors are up to the task (clean and blueprinted/flow checked)!

???

Edited by 1 Alibi 2, 15 August 2016 - 11:53 PM.

01_17_2014_PICS_006.jpg
.......2011 - lightly modded to 756 rwhp
.......2014 - detuned to 780 rwhp

#280 OFFLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 12,840 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07
  • Interests:Shelby GT's (what else), Guitar, Camping in my RV, auto racing, autocross, car shows

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:25 AM

Are GT500's real Shelbys?

2007 Shelby GT CSM# 07SGT1917 - the "Garage Queen"Performance White, LIVE REAR AXLE Hurst 5-Speed, Premium Package

sD5A8QJ.jpg

#281 OFFLINE   shelby001

shelby001

shelby001

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 18,781 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06
  • Region:Canada
  • Interests:65 G.T coupe
    65 vert
    68 Shelby G.T 500
    07`SHelby

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:39 AM

:stirpot:

#282 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

Stangs Unleashed and Team Shelby Member since 2006

• Northeast Region
  • 7,211 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06
  • Interests:Raising my 3 boys!!

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:19 AM

Bob, you trying to truly fulfill the title of this topic "Questions by Dummies?"

:club:

Edited by Secondo, 16 August 2016 - 07:23 AM.

These photos were taken at Shelby American. These trucks (2016 Shelby F150's built by Tuscany Motor Company)  are certainly Shelby's just like every other car bearing Carroll's name. If you want details make sure to ask Gary Patterson. He will be on the road most of this summer showing our cars off. He spearheaded this venture and has all the details.  

That's not correct. Carroll signed a licensing agreement with Ford for them to use the GT350 nameplate. Just want to keep things factual. Carroll not only knew about the Ford built GT350 but gave Ford his blessing to do so.

Steve

for the record, SAI doesnt build anything. they MODIFY cars that the Ford staff engineers and BUILDS. Like it or not, SAI is in the modification business using aftermarket parts (many of which are engineered by Ford, Ford Racing and Ford Performance). They are no more and no less a "Shelby" than those manufactured straight from the Ford factory. 

fear.jpg

#283 OFFLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 12,840 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07
  • Interests:Shelby GT's (what else), Guitar, Camping in my RV, auto racing, autocross, car shows

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:38 AM

Bob, you trying to truly fulfill the title of this topic "Questions by Dummies?"

:club:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!!

:stirpot:

2007 Shelby GT CSM# 07SGT1917 - the "Garage Queen"Performance White, LIVE REAR AXLE Hurst 5-Speed, Premium Package

sD5A8QJ.jpg

#284 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

Stangs Unleashed and Team Shelby Member since 2006

• Northeast Region
  • 7,211 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06
  • Interests:Raising my 3 boys!!

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:54 AM

:doh:

These photos were taken at Shelby American. These trucks (2016 Shelby F150's built by Tuscany Motor Company)  are certainly Shelby's just like every other car bearing Carroll's name. If you want details make sure to ask Gary Patterson. He will be on the road most of this summer showing our cars off. He spearheaded this venture and has all the details.  

That's not correct. Carroll signed a licensing agreement with Ford for them to use the GT350 nameplate. Just want to keep things factual. Carroll not only knew about the Ford built GT350 but gave Ford his blessing to do so.

Steve

for the record, SAI doesnt build anything. they MODIFY cars that the Ford staff engineers and BUILDS. Like it or not, SAI is in the modification business using aftermarket parts (many of which are engineered by Ford, Ford Racing and Ford Performance). They are no more and no less a "Shelby" than those manufactured straight from the Ford factory. 

fear.jpg

#285 OFFLINE   ShelbyGT5HUN

ShelbyGT5HUN

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 17-March 14

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:41 PM

???

In reference to the 750rwhp remark....  

I am conservative by nature, and base my recommendation on a few GT500s that I have followed their build up throughout the years, once they hit 750rwhp combined with an aggressive driving style, including high RPM shifts, on stickier than OEM tires, they have had engine failures.  Dyno queens, or cars driving at no where near their, greater than 750rwhp power levels, on a daily basis, can make dyno pulls in the 750-850rwhp range, but a "flash in the pan" is not a real test of durability.

I would not fault the stock block, and it's related componets, if they didn't survive many miles (10-20k), driven hard, at the 750rwhp+ mark.

Edited by ShelbyGT5HUN, 22 August 2016 - 09:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users