Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  • Joined 27-June 07
  • Region:Decline
  • Interests:Road Racing

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

I have had a lot of people inquire and ask about why there is such a difference with a Shelby dual fan heat exchanger versus heat exchangers with out fans.

The answer is in ambient and convective heat soak from the heat generated within the engine block.

When our cars are cold and we start them up and get going they are crisp and have tons of power because they are obviously cool. So what happens to many of us is we drive the car after it has gotten up to operating temperature and then we park the car. Whether you run in for a sandwich or whatever the car is sitting in a parking lot or your driveway after being warmed up and the operating temperature of the car is likely close to 180-200 plus degrees. When you let the car sit all of the heat from the block permeates the engine and subsequently the intercooler and the fluids within the intercooler and radiator causing those fluids to rise significantly. So an 30 minutes, an hour or two hours later you fire the car back up and it's completely heat soaked because nothing has been done to reduce ambient temperature because of the convective and ambient heat of the engine permeating and heat soaking the cooling mediums within the engine components.

When you utilize a Shelby dual fan heat exchanger the fans kick on and start to pull the heat from the heat exchanging and intercooling system immediately. Without fans you will have to drive the car for a good amount of time in order for the air to flow over the heat exchanger and cool the intercooler/heat exchanger fluid down to a point where timing is not pulled if you can get it to that point. Usually a long cruise on the highway can remedy the problem however stop and go traffic is brutal and difficult reduce the ambient temperature after a re-start.

The concept of the dual fans is that after the car has sat and gets heat soaked from sitting you immediately begin the process of removing the heat which gets you back into the power band much faster and gets the timing and spark advance retard point back to a point where it is under control and allows the ECU to provide you with maximum timing and spark advance.

In multiple data logs I have seen that the recover time of the intercooler fluid is much greater with the fans versus a non-fan heat exchanger. This is even faster when distilled water is utilized versus anti-freeze which is designe to retain heat, thus the reason why it is called 'Anti-Freeze', it holds heat.

A lot of people have said that I don't 'Race' my car. You don't have to 'race' your car to experience and utilize the benefits of a Shelby Dual Fan Heat Exchanger even if it is a daily driver.

Get the heat out as soon as possible and as quickly as possible.

Many drag racers use my heat exchanger with great success when they run back to back to back runs in something like True Street. For example, a member on Team Shelby, Kostas, actually improved his ET after each run at the NMRA event at Bradenton. His driving was good and his car wasn't pulling timing even as he went through the waiting time between rounds when you are not allowed to open your hood. And he doesn't have a trunk reservoir where you can access the trunk in a true street event. If he had no fans on the heat exchanger the idle temperatures would accelerate and his ET's would have been lower due to heat soak.

Please feel free to post your questions and I look forward to answering them.

Thanks

Van Collier
Revan Racing
561-445-7702
dvancollier@gmail.com
2007 Shelby GT500 Alloy Metallic # 357 NASA Time Trial Unlimited Competition Vehicle

WWW.REVANRACING.COM

2007 Shelby GT500 Alloy Metallic Coupe
Purchased October 30, 2006
Shelby Registry Documented as GT500 cooling system development car

Modifications:
Revan Racing/Shelby Original Prototype Radiator, Revan Racing/Shelby Original Prototype Heat Exchanger, Revan Racing/Shelby Reservoir Kit
Griggs Racing Products GR40 ST Suspension with Watts Link and Full Front SLA, Dynotech 1-Piece Aluminum Drive Shaft, dba Slotted Rotors, Hawk DTC 70 Race Pads, Brembo LCF 600 Plus Brake Fluid, Forgeline ZX3R's Matte Black with Titanium Fasteners and Hoosier R6 315's on all 4 corners
Kenne Bell 3.6LC Polished Competition Supercharger with 3.75 Upper, Kenne Bell Competition Boost-A-Pump, 2008 Lower Pulley, HPX MAF Sensor, Jon Lund Tuned and Calibrated (at least 100 times), Borla XR-1 Racing Long Tube Headers, Catless X-Pipe, Borla XR-1 Mufflers, Ford Racing Sparco Race Seat, Shelby Shifter, Silver Horse Racing Side Window Louvers, Agent 47 Retro Mirrors, Proglass Retro Ram Air Hood with Run Cool Hood Louvers, Agent 47 Brake Ducts, Schroth Racing harnesses, AEM Wide Band
Stock Motor Died on track at Daytona International Speedway December 2009 at 190+ MPH
New Motor Born February 2010
Custom Diamond/L&M Race Pistons 9.5:1 Compression, Oliver Rods with ARP 2000 Rod Bolts, Manley Titanium Valve Spring Retainers, Ferrea Super Alloy Exhaust and Intake Valves, AP Rings, Speed Pro Main and Rod Bearings, Ford GT Cams, Canton Road Race Oil Pan, Complete ARP 2000 Bolts throughout

Sponsored by: L&M Engines, www.lmengines.com C&R Racing, www.crracing.com Kenne Bell Superchargers, www.kennebell.net Lund Racing, www.lundracing.com SPEC Clutches, www.specclutch.com Griggs Racing www.griggsracing.com & Borla Racing Exhaust Systems www.borla.com

#2 OFFLINE   dbackg

dbackg

it's Hammer time

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Joined 13-November 07
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:2008 Super Snake - Black - vert

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

Great post Van.

Thanks for sharing.

Another reason to JetHot your exhaust headers ... if you have them.

Also, I always try to give my girl a cool down mile after a run. Then when I pull my girl into the garage, I prop the hood open.
SuperSnake. TVS. FRPP CAI. CJ65 TB. VMP *Big TB* Inlet. VMP 2.65 pulley/tune. FORE Billet fuel rails. JLT oil separator. Dynatech exhaust headers. Shelby billet shifter. DYNOTECH 1-piece aluminum drive shaft. 170* thermostat. Shelby Extreme Duty Cooling system. FRPP M-4033-G2 diff girdle cover. 3.73 gears. billet Steeda LCA's & adj UCA. CHE LCA relocations brackets. H&R sway bars. FR3 springs. Tokico D-Specs. Shelby/Fays2 Billet Watts link, Shelby/Baer Big brakes. 20X11.75 rears. Michelin PS2 335/30's.

#3 OFFLINE   zachman

zachman

Dave

• Southern Plains Region
  • 317 posts
  • Joined 08-April 09
  • Region:Southern Plains
  • Interests:Family and cars

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:22 PM

I can testify that the Dual Fan Heat Exchanger and the larger radiator Van has developed; works. Van stands behind his products. I had the radiator and dual fan heat exchanger installed and it has made a marked improvement in my supercharger performance in this Texas heat.
I have had various mods done to my car this past year by different vendors and have had problems with all of them except Vans.
The best part about this story is when everyone else screwed up my car , I could call Van and he would get me out of trouble. He is +1 .

Edited by zachman, 23 June 2010 - 12:09 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   GT500-07

GT500-07

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Northeast Region
  • 5,453 posts
  • Joined 30-June 07
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:cars

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:17 AM

do you offer them with out the Shelby written on them? if so, you might want to post a thread on the other forums

Edited by GT500-07, 23 June 2010 - 12:00 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Revan Racing

Revan Racing

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  • Joined 27-June 07

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

Great post Van.

Thanks for sharing.

Another reason to JetHot your exhaust headers ... if you have them.

Also, I always try to give my girl a cool down mile after a run. Then when I pull my girl into the garage, I prop the hood open.

I can testify that the Dual Fan Heat Exchanger and the larger radiator Van has developed works. Van stands behind his products. I had the radiator and dual fan heat exchanger installed and it has made a marked improvement in my supercharger performance in this Texas heat.
I have had various mods done to my car this past year by different vendors and have had problems with all of them except Vans.
The best part about this story is when everyone else screwed up my car , I could call Van and he would get me out of trouble. He is +1 .

Thanks Guys!!
2007 Shelby GT500 Alloy Metallic # 357 NASA Time Trial Unlimited Competition Vehicle

WWW.REVANRACING.COM

Modifications:
Revan Racing/Shelby Original Prototype Radiator, Revan Racing/Shelby Original Prototype Heat Exchanger, Revan Racing/Shelby Reservoir Kit
Griggs Racing Products GR40 ST Suspension with Watts Link and Full Front SLA, Dynotech 1-Piece Aluminum Drive Shaft, dba Slotted Rotors, Hawk DTC 70 Race Pads, Brembo LCF 600 Plus Brake Fluid, Forgeline ZX3R's Matte Black with Titanium Fasteners and Hoosier R6 315's on all 4 corners
Kenne Bell 3.6LC Polished Competition Supercharger with 3.75 Upper, Kenne Bell Competition Boost-A-Pump, 2008 Lower Pulley, HPX MAF Sensor, Jon Lund Tuned and Calibrated (at least 100 times), Borla XR-1 Racing Long Tube Headers, Catless X-Pipe, Borla XR-1 Mufflers, Ford Racing Sparco Race Seat, Shelby Shifter, Silver Horse Racing Side Window Louvers, Agent 47 Retro Mirrors, Proglass Retro Ram Air Hood with Run Cool Hood Louvers, Agent 47 Brake Ducts, Schroth Racing harnesses, AEM Wide Band
Stock Motor Died on track at Daytona International Speedway December 2009 at 190+ MPH
Custom Diamond/L&M Race Pistons 9.5:1 Compression, Oliver Rods with ARP 2000 Rod Bolts, Manley Titanium Valve Spring Retainers, Ferrea Super Alloy Exhaust and Intake Valves, AP Rings, Speed Pro Main and Rod Bearings, Ford GT Cams, Canton Road Race Oil Pan, Complete ARP 2000 Bolts throughout

Sponsored by: L&M Engines, www.lmengines.com C&R Racing, www.crracing.com Kenne Bell Superchargers, www.kennebell.net Lund Racing, www.lundracing.com SPEC Clutches, www.specclutch.com Griggs Racing www.griggsracing.com & Borla Racing Exhaust Systems www.borla.com

#6 OFFLINE   chigl

chigl

Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 15-August 07

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

Van - Does your heat exchanger fit right in for the 4.6L motors? I have an SGT/SC with the KB SC. Thanks!
Looking for a 69 Mach 1...

#7 OFFLINE   Revan Racing

Revan Racing

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  • Joined 27-June 07

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

Van - Does your heat exchanger fit right in for the 4.6L motors? I have an SGT/SC with the KB SC. Thanks!

Yes! We actually make a complete cooling package for the Shelby GT and GT/SC which includes the radiator and heat exchanger and engine bay reservoirs! Check them out in the Shelby Store!

Van

WWW.REVANRACING.COM

Modifications:

#8 OFFLINE   eagleridge4

eagleridge4

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Joined 05-February 08

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

Just make sure you use a shop that knows what they're doing or know how to install it yourself. I had the heat exchanger and radiator installed at a speed shop that I'd used previously and thought was pretty good. They charged a lot for the heat exchanger install. They claimed that it was a bear of an installation and that they had to custom fab brackets. The heat exchanger came with no installation instructions, which probably didn't help things. They managed to mess the wiring up big time in the process.

After a very short time, the car wouldn't start and one fan was out. I ended up having to take it to a specialty electrical shop to fix all the wiring and replace the fan (with all the associated towing, hassles and costs).

I haven't had any problems since and don't have any beef with the product. My installation experience just turned out to be a major headache that hopefully others can avoid. I would recommend that installation instructions (including wiring diagrams) be included with the product.

FYI, it also draws a fair amount of electrical power. I ended up upgrading my alternator as well since I was running out of margin.

2007 Shelby GT/SC (black)
Kenne Bell Polished SC
Boss 323 CID motor built by Livernois Motorsport, installed and tuned by AED, Livernois Stage 3 3V Heads, Comp Cams XFI SPR Stage 1 blower grind cams
FRPP twin 62mm throttle body, FRPP dual fuel pump, KB dual BAP, ID1000 fuel injetors, SCT BA-5000 MAF, FRPP blue valve covers, Canton road race oil pan
Kooks 1 3/4 long tube headers, Kooks catted X-Pipe 3" to 2.5", IW 10% overdrive harmonic balancer, BGG 8 rib pulley conversion, Thump Racing tensioner

Tremec T-56 Magnum XL 6 speed transmission, Dynotech 3.5" aluminum driveshaft, Steeda driveshaft safety loop, FRPP V6 strut tower brace, FRPP adjustable dampers
Centerforce DYAD DS twin disk clutch, Custom high output alternator, Ford Racing radiator, Shelby extreme duty heat exchanger, Meziere electric water pump
Evolution Performance Super Intercooler Reservoir, Moroso radiator expansion tank, Steeda light weight radiator support, deep cycle optima battery
Snake/Shelby GT trunk lock emblem, Shelby billet fuel door black, Shelby GT/SC mats, headrests and armrest, CS signatures on air bag cover and vanity mirror, Painted stripes
Street & Drag Wheels Ford Racing 2011 SVT 19x9 front, 19x10 rear, 265/35/19, 295/30/19 (305/35/19 drag), FRPP 4:10 rear gears
Road Course Wheels TSW Nurburgring 19x9.5 front, 19x11 rear (widened by Weldcraft), 285/30/19, 305/30/19, Shelby/Baer Extreme 6S brakes front & rear
BMR tubular A arms with A arm brace, BMR tubular K member, MM caster camber plate kit, Steeda bump steer kit, tow hook
Steeda billet rear lower control arms and relo brackets, Steeda competition upper 3rd link, Shelby Fays2 Watts Link, Lakewood adjustable quick release front swaybar end links
Shelby dash gauges and door sill plates as part of Northern California special edition (oil temp replaced with boost gauge), Aeroforce interceptor gauge in Roush vent pod

#9 OFFLINE   shelbytexan

shelbytexan

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 619 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

I have had a lot of people inquire and ask about why there is such a difference with a Shelby dual fan heat exchanger versus heat exchangers with out fans.

The answer is in ambient and convective heat soak from the heat generated within the engine block.

When our cars are cold and we start them up and get going they are crisp and have tons of power because they are obviously cool. So what happens to many of us is we drive the car after it has gotten up to operating temperature and then we park the car. Whether you run in for a sandwich or whatever the car is sitting in a parking lot or your driveway after being warmed up and the operating temperature of the car is likely close to 180-200 plus degrees. When you let the car sit all of the heat from the block permeates the engine and subsequently the intercooler and the fluids within the intercooler and radiator causing those fluids to rise significantly. So an 30 minutes, an hour or two hours later you fire the car back up and it's completely heat soaked because nothing has been done to reduce ambient temperature because of the convective and ambient heat of the engine permeating and heat soaking the cooling mediums within the engine components.

When you utilize a Shelby dual fan heat exchanger the fans kick on and start to pull the heat from the heat exchanging and intercooling system immediately. Without fans you will have to drive the car for a good amount of time in order for the air to flow over the heat exchanger and cool the intercooler/heat exchanger fluid down to a point where timing is not pulled if you can get it to that point. Usually a long cruise on the highway can remedy the problem however stop and go traffic is brutal and difficult reduce the ambient temperature after a re-start.

The concept of the dual fans is that after the car has sat and gets heat soaked from sitting you immediately begin the process of removing the heat which gets you back into the power band much faster and gets the timing and spark advance retard point back to a point where it is under control and allows the ECU to provide you with maximum timing and spark advance.

In multiple data logs I have seen that the recover time of the intercooler fluid is much greater with the fans versus a non-fan heat exchanger. This is even faster when distilled water is utilized versus anti-freeze which is designe to retain heat, thus the reason why it is called 'Anti-Freeze', it holds heat.

A lot of people have said that I don't 'Race' my car. You don't have to 'race' your car to experience and utilize the benefits of a Shelby Dual Fan Heat Exchanger even if it is a daily driver.

Many drag racers use my heat exchanger with great success when they run back to back to back runs in something like True Street. For example, a member on Team Shelby, Kostas, actually improved his ET after each run at the NMRA event at Bradenton. His driving was good and his car wasn't pulling timing even as he went through the waiting time between rounds when you are not allowed to open your hood. And he doesn't have a trunk reservoir where you can access the trunk in a true street event. If he had no fans on the heat exchanger the idle temperatures would accelerate and his ET's would have been lower due to heat soak.

Thanks

Van Collier
Revan Racing
561-445-7702
dvancollier@gmail.com

#10 OFFLINE   shelbytexan

shelbytexan

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 619 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

Yes! We actually make a complete cooling package for the Shelby GT and GT/SC which includes the radiator and heat exchanger and engine bay reservoirs! Check them out in the Shelby Store!

Van

I have a SGT/SC with the Whipple 550 h.p. and i don't race the car. If i were to install just one improvement to the cooling then which would be the best choice, the radiator or the heat exchanger. If i went with the radiator would i need the tanks? Also how much does most people charge to install the radiator and or heat exchanger. Thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   shelbytexan

shelbytexan

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 619 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

I have a SGT/SC with the Whipple 550 h.p. and i don't race the car. If i were to install just one improvement to the cooling then which would be the best choice, the radiator or the heat exchanger. If i went with the radiator would i need the tanks? Also how much does most people charge to install the radiator and or heat exchanger. Thanks.

Bump

#12 OFFLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 11,771 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Shelby GT's (what else), Guitar, Camping in my RV, auto racing, autocross, car shows

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:27 AM

Great post, and this makes perfect sense to me. I have a couple of questions though.

1. Does the heat exchanger conflict with any other items or accessories, for example, brake cooling duct installations?

2. How long should it take the shadetree mechanic to install?

3. What does the finish install look like, i.e., do the SHELBY letters show up at the lower grille area or where?

Thanks!

Ilmor
2007 Shelby GT CSM# 07SGT1917 - the "Garage Queen"

Performance White, Hurst 5-Speed, Premium Package

Shelby 4.6L Racing Valve Covers ,Shelby Turbo Mufflers, Shelby GT Brake Duct Kit, "S" snake faux gas cap, Carroll Shelby autographed dash, Improved Shelby GT hood scoop replaced by Tasca Mod Shop, Craig's Custom License Plate Bracket, Baer GT Rotors, Hawk HP Plus Pads, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Hi Temp Brake Fluid, J&M Street/Race Extreme Joint Lower Control Arms, J&M Double Adjustable Panhard Rod (Street/Race) ...

2013 Mustang GT Premium - the "Daily Driver"

Black / Black & Glass Roof, 6-Speed SelectShift, Sync, NAV, Interior Upgrade.....

#13 OFFLINE   shelbytexan

shelbytexan

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 619 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

Bump

I guess knowone is interested in answering questions on this topic so might as well close this topic moderator.

#14 OFFLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 11,771 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07
  • Interests:Shelby GT's (what else), Guitar, Camping in my RV, auto racing, autocross, car shows

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:55 AM

I guess nobody likes my questions! :lol:

Shelby 4.6L Racing Valve Covers ,Shelby Turbo Mufflers, Shelby GT Brake Duct Kit, "S" snake faux gas cap, Carroll Shelby autographed dash, Improved Shelby GT hood scoop replaced by Tasca Mod Shop, Craig's Custom License Plate Bracket, Baer GT Rotors, Hawk HP Plus Pads, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Hi Temp Brake Fluid, J&M Street/Race Extreme Joint Lower Control Arms, J&M Double Adjustable Panhard Rod (Street/Race) ...

Black / Black & Glass Roof, 6-Speed SelectShift, Sync, NAV, Interior Upgrade.....

#15 OFFLINE   springer

springer

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:45 AM

1. Does the heat exchanger conflict with any other items or accessories, for example, brake cooling duct installations?

3. What does the finish install look like, i.e., do the SHELBY letters show up at the lower grille area or where?

I just had SA install my Revan heat exchanger in Las Vegas. Prior to my car going to SA, I checked locally with a couple of speed shops and was quoted from $150 to $200 for the install. Since my car was going back to SA, I had the install done there. The install instructions are pretty straight forward, and a "shade tree mechanic" should not have any problems installing it.

The heat exchanger does interfere with the front brake ducts, if you have them installed, but from what I know, the ducts can be modified to make them work. ( I do not have the front brake ducts.)

The Revan exchanger is very well made and is paint-stamped "SHELBY" across the front which is visible through the lower grill opening.

I did not install the larger radiator or tanks on my car.

Hope this info helps.

Edited by springer, 10 October 2010 - 05:17 PM.

If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play!
Shelby Baer Extreme brakes, CS 69 wheels
Shelby installed Revan heat exchanger
Shelby installed Diablo Predator tune

Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   08SC0023

08SC0023

Team Shelby New Member

• Mountain Region
  • 227 posts
  • Joined 31-May 10
  • Interests:Mustangs and Shelbys, motorcycles

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:15 AM

I'll be taking mine to Vegas for the install, too. UPS delivered all the components (radiator, HE and tanks) to me a few days ago. Since I've got an automatic, I'll also go with a trans cooler. I've got the time to do it myself, but I don't have access to a lift and don't much feel like putting my arthritic knees and back through the contortions anymore...

#17 OFFLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 11,771 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:11 AM

I just had SA install my Revan heat exchanger in Las Vegas. Prior to my car going to SA, I checked locally with a couple of speed shops and was quoted from $150 to $200 for the install. Since my car was going back to SA, I had the install done there. The install instructions are pretty straight forward, and a "shadetree mechanic" should not have any problems installing it.

The heat exchanger does interfere with the front brake ducts, if you have them installed, but from what I know, the ducts can be modified to make them work. ( I do not have the front brake ducts.)

The Revan exchanger is very well made made and is paint-stamped "SHELBY" across the front which is visible through the lower grill opening.

Hope this info helps.

This does help! Thanks for the answers!

#18 OFFLINE   shelbytexan

shelbytexan

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 619 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

This does help! Thanks for the answers!

There is a lot of infomation that can be obtained from these forums if people would just take the time to answer. Thanks for the answer. I believe i'll probably go with just the heat-exchanger as i am really just concerned with the s/c cooling. Thanks again.

#19 OFFLINE   speedyburd33

speedyburd33

Veritas Aequitas

• Northeast Region
  • 840 posts
  • Joined 16-January 07

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

This is all really good info. Extremely informative. I'm going to save this for later reference when I get my SC. I'm planning on going with the Kenne Bell 550HP
Posted Image
07SGT0890
Team Shelby Member #2553

286.8 RWHP/305.5 RWTQ Stock
Steeda Carbon Fiber Inlet Elbow
Brenspeed Custom Tune
Ford Racing 3.73 Gears
Kooks Long Tube Headers w/high flow cats
Corsa Extreme Exhaust
315.7 RWHP/327.5 RWTQ Stage 1 Mods
Shelby GT/SC Upgrade w/Polished Whipple 550 Completed at Tasca on 9/10/12
1 Piece Driveshaft
Ford Racing Radiator
502.4 RWHP/463.5 RWTQ Stage 2 Mods
1000 Series Forged Internals
ARP Head Studs
Custom Comp Cams
Upgraded Valve Springs
Stage 2 Ported Heads
McLeod RXT Twin Disc Clutch, 8 bolt flywheel
Ford Racing Polished Throttle Body
Whipple Polished 10 Rib Kit
Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors
MAF Sensor
Updated Tune
???.? RWHP/???.? RWTQ Stage 3 Mods (Completion Estimated 6/27/13 at Tasca)

#20 OFFLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 11,771 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:26 PM

Does anyone know if this heat exchanger provides much benefit on an NA car? Also, if a supercharger is added later, will there be any conflict w/ the heat exchanger, or will any part or section of the heat exchanger then need to be modified or re-installed?

#21 OFFLINE   COBRA SCOTTY

COBRA SCOTTY

DIRECTOR OF TIMESLIP VERIFICATION

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,228 posts
  • Joined 09-February 08
  • Interests:MAKING MORE HORSEPOWER !!!
    AND
    HOT BINKINI CLAD LADIES IN PICTURES WITH MUSTANGS.
    BUT
    NOT IN THAT ORDER.hee hee
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:15 PM

Does anyone know if this heat exchanger provides much benefit on an NA car? Also, if a supercharger is added later, will there be any conflict w/ the heat exchanger, or will any part or section of the heat exchanger then need to be modified or re-installed?

If you do not have a supercharger than there is no need for the heat exchanger for it is specifically designed for SC applications.

Scotty
2008 GT500 CONVERTIBLE GRABBER ORANGE / STRIPE DELETE
SCHED DATE 4/7/08
BUILT DATE AAI 4/11/08
DEALERSHIP DELIVERY 4/18/08
UPGRADES PAULS HIGH PERFORMANCE JACKSON MI. 6/17/10
POLISHED FORD RACING TVS , ELBOW WITH 2.6 UPPER ,I/W 10% LOWER ,
123mm POLISHED COBRA JET CAI , 65mm COBRA JET THROTTLE BODY ,
160 DEGREE THERMOSTAT , SHELBY/REVAN RACING HEAT EXCHANGER ,
MAGNAFLOW 3 " HI-FLOW CATTED X-PIPE , MAGNAFLOW 3 " CAT-BACK EXAUST
SCT CUSTOM DYNO TUNE BY PAUL SVINICKI ( 709 RWHP 701 FT-LBS. 110 TUNE / 674 RWHP 663 FT-LBS. 93 TUNE)
PRODUCTION #'S
# 1885 OF # 2070 CONVERTIBLES PRODUCED IN 2008
# 79 OF # 81 G.O. CONVERTIBLES PRODUCED IN '08
1 OF 6 (G.O. STRIPE DELETE CONVERTIBLES BUILT IN '08)
(THE LAST 1 OF THE 6 RAREST GT500'S PRODUCED IN 2008 ACCORDING TO FORD PRODUCTION DOCUMENTS)

2008 SHELBY GT-C/SC GRABBER ORANGE 5 SPEED COUPE
BUILT AAI 6/28/07
BUILT SAI 9/26/07
CSM # 08SGT0123
SAI GT/SC UPGRADES LAS VEGAS 4/13/09
MUSEUM DELIVERY 4/28/09
SAI INSTALLED POLISHED WHIPPLE 550 KIT
SHELBY CENTER GUAGE POD
BAER FRONT BIG BRAKE PACKAGE IN GRABBER ORANGE
ERADISPEED REAR BRAKE UPGRADE
SHELBY FORGED 20" ALCOA'S
SHELBY GT/SC INTERIOR PACKAGE / BLACK WITH (607) SILVER INSERTS
REAR GT SPOILER ; YOU KNOW YOU GOTTA HAVE SOME DOWNFORCE AT 160 PLUS.
( 497 RWHP , 464 FT-LBS. 93 TUNE )
PRODUCTION #'S
SO. CAL. EDITION

( 1 ST ) AUTHORIZED 2008 SHELBY GT-C TO RECIEVE MODS AT SAI.
( 1 ST ) AUTHORIZED 2008 SHELBY GT/SC PRODUCED AT SAI WITH WHIPPLE 550.
( 1 ST ) AUTHORIZED 2008 SHELBY GT-C/SC WITH WHIPPLE 55O IN THE WORLD.
( 1 OF 63 ) 2008 SHELBY GT-C 5 SPEED W/SHAKER 1000 AND IUP , HID , ANTI-THEFT.

( 1 OF 215 ) 2008 SHELBY GT-C COUPES EVER BUILT / ( 211 ) - 5-SPEED'S AND ( 4 ) - AUTOMATIC'S

#22 OFFLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 11,771 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:45 AM

If you do not have a supercharger than there is no need for the heat exchanger for it is specifically designed for SC applications.

Scotty

Thanks! I was wondering, because there is always so much discussion re: reduction of underhood temps freeing up the horsepower.

#23 OFFLINE   GT500-07

GT500-07

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Northeast Region
  • 5,453 posts
  • Joined 30-June 07
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:cars

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:42 PM

NA cars dont have heat exchangers, just a radiators

#24 OFFLINE   08SGT1977

08SGT1977

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Joined 27-May 08

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:08 AM

Same here, stock radiator and tanks; Shelby heat exchanger being installed with Whipple H.O. supercharger.
Also adding the driving lights. All mods being done at TASCA. TASCA will not install the lower aluminum grille if having the driving lights so I opted for the heat exchanger for the cooling and the SHELBY logo to fill in the space in the lower front fascia.

#25 OFFLINE   csm198

csm198

CSM198

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07
  • Interests:shelby gt's

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:46 AM

Thanks

Van Collier
Revan Racing
561-445-7702
dvancollier@gmail.com

How long would it take a shade tree mech to install this system?
I have a paxton and front brake ducts, will any of this have to be modified?
Does it come with all brackets I need?
Does it come with instructions for wiring and installation?

Thanks
/Users/Jonathan/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Dec 11, 2010_25/mmfp_0906_03_z+cobra_jet_mustang+front_view.jpg
MY MODS
Performance White
Charcoal Interior
SGT # 198
1st Supercharged SGT from SAI (Paxton - S/C # 14)
GT/SC Delete on side stripe
3:73 gear ratio
CS grill assembly
Shelby Plus Pro Brake System
Shelby 4 wheel brake ducts
Shelby gauge cluster
Shelby stut bar
Sequential tail lights
Quarter window aluminum covers billet hood pins
Engine billet caps
Razors (gun metal)
Various interior pieces upgraded
Billet fuel door
CS/SC trunk lock emblem

Former Cars

1956 T-Bird (Coral)
1965 Mustang Notchback 6 cyl.
1965 Daytona Coupe F5 (Guardsman Blue)
1969 Fairlane Cobra FB 428CJ w/ ram air (Indian Fire)
1967 Shelby GT500 (Dark Moss Green)

http://s229.photobuc...Coupe Factory5/ Visit My Website

#26 OFFLINE   CudaFly

CudaFly

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 327 posts
  • Joined 09-February 07

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:56 AM

How long would it take a shade tree mech to install this system?
I have a paxton and front brake ducts, will any of this have to be modified?
Does it come with all brackets I need?
Does it come with instructions for wiring and installation?

Thanks

I did it in a day but I had Van from Revan Racing in my garage helping since it was basically used as the prototype for the Shelby SGT/SC cooling kit. Count on a full day for the radiator, the heat exchanger is a couple of hours with wiring being the longest part.

The radiator is not an easy install with the Paxton but I consider the cooling upgrades the the second best mod I've done to the car (SC being 1st) because of the consistent performance improvements year round, big difference in power after the motor gets heat soaked (20-30 minutes).

I removed the lower radiator support bracket and dropped the stock radiator out of the bottom (no fun). Getting the wider radiator to fit with the Paxton requires a little fabrication but was totally worth the effort it in my opinion.

Power and heat go hand in hand so anything you can do to efficiently bleed off excess heat from your motor is money well spent, otherwise you are losing a lot of power that you already paid for in a supercharged car.

See these posts:

http://www.teamshelb...post__p__700211

http://www.teamshelb...post__p__625993

Edited by CudaFly, 21 December 2010 - 03:38 PM.

'07 SGT #259

Posted Image

Owner installed mods:

- Shelby Paxton S/C with water/air intercooler (9 psi boost)
- Ford Racing Dual Fuel Pump
- Cobra Fuel Injectors (39#)
- Ford Lightning Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor
- BBK 62mm Throttle Body
- VMP Custom Tune: 477 RWHP - 421 Torque
- Ford Racing 4.10:1 Ring Gear and Pinion
- Eaton Posi Limited Slip Differential
- DynoTech 3.5" 1-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft
- Hurst Line Lock
- BMR Lower/Upper Control Arms
- Raptor Shift Light
- American Racing Shelby Torq-Thrust Wheels

Best 1/4 mile time: 11.81 seconds @ 120.89 MPH

#27 OFFLINE   csm198

csm198

CSM198

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

got mine on order. Merry Xmas to me.
/Users/Jonathan/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Dec 11, 2010_25/mmfp_0906_03_z+cobra_jet_mustang+front_view.jpg
MY MODS
Performance White
Charcoal Interior
SGT # 198
CS grill assembly
Shelby gauge cluster
Shelby stut bar
Sequential tail lights
Engine billet caps
Razors (gun metal)
Billet fuel door
CS/SC trunk lock emblem

Former Cars

1956 T-Bird (Coral)

#28 OFFLINE   shelbytexan

shelbytexan

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 619 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

got mine on order. Merry Xmas to me.

Me too. Between the heat exchanger and clutch install i should be in chapter 11 or is that 7. Merry-Christmas.

#29 OFFLINE   csm198

csm198

CSM198

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

I hear that!!!
MY MODS
Performance White
Charcoal Interior
SGT # 198
CS grill assembly
Shelby gauge cluster
Shelby stut bar
Sequential tail lights
Engine billet caps
Razors (gun metal)
Billet fuel door
CS/SC trunk lock emblem

Former Cars

1956 T-Bird (Coral)

#30 OFFLINE   kahmann

kahmann

08SGT1292

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,343 posts
  • Joined 30-May 08
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Going fast.

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:27 PM

NVM

Edited by kahmann, 25 December 2010 - 10:28 PM.

2008 Shelby GT (#1292 of 2214)
2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat

LIVERNOIS - WHIPPLE - MANLEY - COMP - GRIGGS RACING - WELDCRAFT - TOYO
SIG2-Racing2-2.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users