F150 Duke

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined 11-March 09

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

All,

I just started getting a loud moan sound that I have no idea where it's coming from as it echo's throughout the cabin. It happens as slow speeds when turning. For example through the DQ drive through tonight, into the neighborhood and into my driveway. Any ideas what in the world this is? I'm going to take it to the SVT tech at my local Ford dealer on Monday.

Thanks!

Duke

#2 OFFLINE   goldgus

goldgus

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Joined 03-April 09

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

I had it too, you can ask them to add a 3 or 4 ounce bottle of friction modifier to the rear end. That cured my noise...

Or you can change out the rear differential cover for a larger capacity, stronger one, and then go with some aftermarket fluid - either royal purple or the like, that has helped some other folks
Posted Image

2010 GT500 Vert, HID's, NAV, Kona Blue/Silver stripes...
Ordered March 15th, Order Pulled April 7th, Build date June 3rd, Delivered July 7th...
Mods to date: MGW Billet Shifter, Shelby dual-fan Heat Exchanger, Ford Racing "KR" axle-backs, FORE Billet Fuel Rails, Ford Racing Billet Axle Girdle, J&M Billet LCA's, Project321 Billet/Carbon Fiber caps, Cobra Tire Valve Caps, Shelby Billet Dead Pedal, Redline Elite Hood Struts, JLT Carbon Fiber Intake tube, Kona Blue Painted Strut Tower Brace, CDC Carbon-Fiber "look" light bar, Custom painted/striped radiator cover, HID 5K Foglights
TRI-STATE STALLIONS

#3 OFFLINE   Cobra1832

Cobra1832

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 10-May 10

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

It's most likely the diff clutches. Ford considers it normal. There is a tsb on it. If it is objectionable then the dealer can add friction modifier. Too much modifier will hurt the diffs performance though. I have it too and am beginning to get used to it... Driving in a figure 8 a few times might get rid of the noise for a short period of time.

Good luck,
Mike
2011 GT500, 11.5@124
2011 Ford Raptor
2011 Mercedes GL450
2010 Mercedes E350
1999 Turbo Miata..

#4 OFFLINE   sprint200

sprint200

His Brake Zone or MINE ? T.S. #16

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

An Eaton TruTrac will get rid of that noise "right off"! :dance:

#5 OFFLINE   Ash1977

Ash1977

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Joined 19-June 09

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:35 AM

Mine had the same noise coming from the front of the car when turning at slow speeds. I took it to the dealer to get other things fixed on it and they noticed it too. One of the struts was not lubricated right at the factory. The part is on order and my car is still in the shop. I would take it in to be looked at. I have an early 2011 Shelby.

Mark

#6 OFFLINE   DDT

DDT

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts
  • Joined 23-August 07
  • Interests:"Don't blame me"......."What did I do"???????

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:00 AM

My Dealer also said this noise from the Diff Clutches is normal..............

I always try to make High Speed Turns to avoid hearing this noise................ :hysterical:

#7 OFFLINE   MMcGuirk

MMcGuirk

Team Shelby Member

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 2,920 posts
  • Joined 03-December 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Everything automotive, NHL, NCAAF, German Shepherd dogs

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:14 AM

There is a TSB, it calls for replacement of the clutch packs. My dealer argued with me, so I went to our local driveline guy - Rearend Specialties - Mike told me just double up on the friction modifier. Works like a charm.
TEAM SHELBY PACIFIC REGION DIRECTOR
Team Shelby member 906

2011 Shelby GT350 - CSM113500040
624 HP, 604.6 RWHP Watt's Link, Partial painted stripes, Museum delivery 4/6/11 Tremec Magnum XL

#8 OFFLINE   DDT

DDT

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts
  • Joined 23-August 07

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:22 AM

There is a TSB, it calls for replacement of the clutch packs. My dealer argued with me, so I went to our local driveline guy - Rearend Specialties - Mike told me just double up on the friction modifier. Works like a charm.

Exactly how much was added???????

#9 OFFLINE   Grabber

Grabber

TS Member #26

• 35,121 posts
  • Joined 21-July 06
  • Region:Pacific Northwest

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

Exactly how much was added???????

The stock GT500 differential requires 1 bottle or 4oz of “friction modifier” to be added to the gear lube if you are changing the fluid in the pumkin. Here's the Friction modifier and the fluid from Ford that is in our cars. I know this because I just changed my fluid when I changed out my Rear Dif cover to the bigger, better, stronger "KR" cover.
Posted Image
Posted Image

GRABBER Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image 2007 GRABBER ORANGE GT500 Coupe ordered 10/13/06. Sub to plant 12/14/06. Scheduled 1/16/07. Bucked 1/17/07. Released From Plant 1/19/07. Plant Quality Hold 1/19/07. Off Plant Quality Hold 2/21/07. Shipped 2/22/07. Delivered 3/8/07. New 2008 2nd Gen. Tranny & Nickle Hub Clutch & Flywheel & Lube & CSC bearing 1/16/2008. New 2009 2nd Gen. Flywheel & another new Nickel Hub Clutch & Pilot Bearing 8/8/08. New 2010 Clutch and flywheel and slave cylinder & pilot bearing and clutch line 8/2/12
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 OFFLINE   2thDoc

2thDoc

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 14-June 10

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

Glad mine's not the only one that does that. I figured it was the LSD talking to me, but wasn't sure. When I change out the fluid I'll throw in a bit extra of the modifier...
'11 GT500 - Black/Race Red/Ingot - SVT Pack, Electronics, Lighted Doors Sills, Cover

#11 OFFLINE   DDT

DDT

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts
  • Joined 23-August 07

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

Thank's Grabber........

Have you posted the TSB in question for this concern????????

#12 OFFLINE   Grabber

Grabber

TS Member #26

• 35,121 posts
  • Joined 21-July 06

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

Thank's Grabber........

Have you posted the TSB in question for this concern????????

http://www.teamshelb...__fromsearch__1
Posted Image 2007 GRABBER ORANGE GT500 Coupe ordered 10/13/06. Sub to plant 12/14/06. Scheduled 1/16/07. Bucked 1/17/07. Released From Plant 1/19/07. Plant Quality Hold 1/19/07. Off Plant Quality Hold 2/21/07. Shipped 2/22/07. Delivered 3/8/07. New 2008 2nd Gen. Tranny & Nickle Hub Clutch & Flywheel & Lube & CSC bearing 1/16/2008. New 2009 2nd Gen. Flywheel & another new Nickel Hub Clutch & Pilot Bearing 8/8/08. New 2010 Clutch and flywheel and slave cylinder & pilot bearing and clutch line 8/2/12

#13 OFFLINE   F150 Duke

F150 Duke

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined 11-March 09

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:51 AM

Update:

The Shelby is at the dealer and they are looking into it today. They are also looking into the Bluetooth unit as my voice sounds like I’m calling over a CB radio to someone else.

Symptoms of the moaning sound:
• Only when turning, with steering wheel straight you cannot hear it.
• Only at slow speeds, high speed turns either the exhaust drowns it out or it goes away, not sure.
• It happens in forward or reverse.
• It is very loud in the cabin and echoes.
• My wife walked alongside the car while I did a slow turn and said she is 100% positive it’s coming from the rear of the car.
• You don’t feel any vibration.
• Lightly putting your foot on the brake will not make the noise go away.

I brought up the TSB for the friction modifier to the SVT tech at the dealer and he said he’s aware of it but said that usually you feel a chatter in the car and that it happens with more than 1,600 miles. He also has a call into the SVT hotline.

Onto the Bluetooth call quality. I remember someone saying earlier this summer that Ford had a quality or part hold on the Bluetooth units for 2011. I know it was mostly rumor based but has anyone found something from Ford in the form of a TSB that confirms it? I wonder if my car made it out of the factory without the fix?

#14 OFFLINE   cobra23

cobra23

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 29-March 09

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

Update:

The Shelby is at the dealer and they are looking into it today. They are also looking into the Bluetooth unit as my voice sounds like I’m calling over a CB radio to someone else.

Symptoms of the moaning sound:
• Only when turning, with steering wheel straight you cannot hear it.
• Only at slow speeds, high speed turns either the exhaust drowns it out or it goes away, not sure.
• It happens in forward or reverse.
• It is very loud in the cabin and echoes.
• My wife walked alongside the car while I did a slow turn and said she is 100% positive it’s coming from the rear of the car.
• You don’t feel any vibration.
• Lightly putting your foot on the brake will not make the noise go away.

I brought up the TSB for the friction modifier to the SVT tech at the dealer and he said he’s aware of it but said that usually you feel a chatter in the car and that it happens with more than 1,600 miles. He also has a call into the SVT hotline.

Onto the Bluetooth call quality. I remember someone saying earlier this summer that Ford had a quality or part hold on the Bluetooth units for 2011. I know it was mostly rumor based but has anyone found something from Ford in the form of a TSB that confirms it? I wonder if my car made it out of the factory without the fix?

I have a 2010 and had the moan develop after about 500 miles. With 2300 miles on the clock, I added a bottle of XL3 friction modifier. The moan went away immediately.

#15 OFFLINE   F150 Duke

F150 Duke

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined 11-March 09

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:07 PM

The plot thickens.

So the Service Manager and SVT Tech at the dealership feel the noise is above what is normal (it resonates like crazy in the cab). By coincidence they have a Ford Service Field Tech in the dealership for an electrical problem on a Lincoln who also looked at the car today. He said that a level of noise is normal and pointed to a message from Ford stating that in the Shelby Mustang, a level of noise from the rear end is considered normal.

However, the Ford Service Field Tech feels the noise is quite loud, more so then he’s heard on other GT500s. The dealer is stating that while they agree with me that the noise is above normal, they cannot do anything to remediate the noise due to Ford’s statement on noise coming from the rear end of a GT500 because if their solution breaks something they are liable. They asked that I call customer service to partner with them to escalate the issue with Ford. I agreed and opened a case with customer service. Customer service spoke with the dealer, opened a case, and have now pointed me to the SVT hotline. I am now about to call the SVT hotline.

#16 OFFLINE   F150 Duke

F150 Duke

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined 11-March 09

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

I have a 2010 and had the moan develop after about 500 miles. With 2300 miles on the clock, I added a bottle of XL3 friction modifier. The moan went away immediately.

Absolutely agree that it must be the case but the dealer is saying they cannot touch the fluid for fear it does something to the rear end, they will be liable. I see their point and I don't want that liability by doing it myself. So I'm going to bring up the TSB while discussing it with the SVT hotline and see if they'll do that.

#17 OFFLINE   F150 Duke

F150 Duke

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined 11-March 09

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:05 AM

Some interesting reading based on the online research I've been doing.

4. Noise on curves:

The noise which is heard when the vehicle is taking a turn, is due to the trouble in the axle shaft or is due to a problem in side the differential. a bad axle bearing is usually the main reason for noise, when the noise comes on outside of a turn. Then the outside axle bearing is running faster and carrying a greater load than the bearing on the inner axle. Making a turn in the opposite direction will usually reduce or eliminate the noise from a bad axle bearing.

The cause of noise inside the differential can be due to the tight pinion gears, on the pinion shaft, or if there is too much backlash error on these gears. Or the reason can be worn out differential case bearings which can also cause noise on curves. These parts are inside the differential and move relative to each other during turning of the vehicle.

#18 OFFLINE   xjrguy

xjrguy

BIG MONSTERS!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Joined 04-February 10

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

I have this noise, but it sounds like it's coming straight from the steering wheel.

When I make low speed turns that requires the steering wheel get turned a couple revolutions there is this squeaking or moaning noise. Definitely not coming from the diff.

#19 OFFLINE   F150 Duke

F150 Duke

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined 11-March 09

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

I have this noise, but it sounds like it's coming straight from the steering wheel.

When I make low speed turns that requires the steering wheel get turned a couple revolutions there is this squeaking or moaning noise. Definitely not coming from the diff.

We're positive this is coming from the rear end of my car. From the inside it was hard to figure out where its coming from since it echos everywhere. However, my wife walked along side the car and said it's easy to hear it coming from the back of the car.

I spoke with the SVT hotline which was incredibly non-productive. It was basically, why are you calling us? They asked that the dealer call them to trouble shoot.

#20 OFFLINE   racin' randy

racin' randy

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 06-February 10
  • Interests:My Car, Magic, Music, Slot Cars

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

Wow, I thought I was the only one on this. My 2010 Shelby GT500 has been doing this since day one. Took it to the dealer once and damn if it didn't make any noise. But switched out to 20" wheels with new Michelin tires and now it is very loud. (I am selling the original Shelby GT500 wheels and tires mounted if anyone is interested) I am going to the dealer on Tuesday to talk with him on this. During the Initial conversation he thought it might be a bent axle??? But with all this feedback it seems to be more of the differential. I'll mention this to the dealer on Tuesday and get back here.

Grabber, where did you get the bigger KR Cover.

Racin' Randy
Beaverton, Oregon

#21 OFFLINE   Grabber

Grabber

TS Member #26

• 35,121 posts
  • Joined 21-July 06

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:14 PM

Wow, I thought I was the only one on this. My 2010 Shelby GT500 has been doing this since day one. Took it to the dealer once and damn if it didn't make any noise. But switched out to 20" wheels with new Michelin tires and now it is very loud. (I am selling the original Shelby GT500 wheels and tires mounted if anyone is interested) I am going to the dealer on Tuesday to talk with him on this. During the Initial conversation he thought it might be a bent axle??? But with all this feedback it seems to be more of the differential. I'll mention this to the dealer on Tuesday and get back here.

Grabber, where did you get the bigger KR Cover.

Racin' Randy
Beaverton, Oregon

Randy,

PM LuckySnake. He has them.

Rob

#22 OFFLINE   F150 Duke

F150 Duke

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined 11-March 09

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:58 AM

Still no resolution or call from the dealer. I'm going to be calling to follow-up on Friday.

#23 OFFLINE   2thDoc

2thDoc

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 14-June 10

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

Any updates?
'11 GT500 - Black/Race Red/Ingot - SVT Pack, Electronics, Lighted Doors Sills, Cover

#24 OFFLINE   F150 Duke

F150 Duke

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined 11-March 09

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

Any updates?

Called Friday and there were no updates from them. Called again today and the same story. He said they'd call SVT later today to start working out a fix. I said I expect a proposed solution by Friday. It's just getting worse, more annoying and embarassing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users