#1 OFFLINE   OTA.com

OTA.com

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 28-March 06

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:54 AM

After reading several reports of rotor failure on 13" Cobra rotors when used with the 2000 Cobra R Brembo calipers as seen in this picture:

Posted Image

I decided to be proactive and upgrade my rotors. The theory I have heard most often concerning the failures is that when using the standard Cobra PBR caliper, there isn't as much stress on the rotor because the caliper is a 2 piston sliding design and it will move with the rotor. The rotor will move when there is some play in the hubs. When using the fixed Brembo 4 piston caliper, the caliper is stationary and will not move with a rotor. The fix I settled on is to replace the one piece rotors with a two piece rotor with aluminium hats. The aluminium will flex and lessen the stress on the rotor.

On another board, I found a group buy on a custom machined hat to allow the use of an off-the-shelf Colman racing rotor with the Stock Mustang spindle and hub along with the Cobra or Brembo calipers. I ordered the parts as well as some NAS fastners from Coast Fabrication.

Here are the parts:

Posted Image

In addition to the rotors, I also added some brake ducts. I purchased them from Livermore performance. They came complete with all mounting hardware. I know there are many who make their own, but I do not have the fab skills or the proper tools, so buying them was my best bet. Here are the ducts:

Posted Image

Here is my existing setup with the stock Brembo one piece rotors:

Posted Image

The first step was to remove the calipers and rotors and clen up the hub/spindles:

Posted Image

I also found the the strut to spindle pinch bolts interfered with the new brake ducts requiring me to turn them around. I changed one bolt at a time to prevent the spindle from shifting on the strut. Here is a picture of the bolts in the original position:

Posted Image

Once this was accomplished, I mounted the brake ducts with the supplied hardware:

Posted Image

I bolted everything up and this is the finished product:

Posted Image

I got the chance to try them out at Road Atlanta last weekend and everything worked great. I used the brakes harder than ever before and I had no issues, which I guess is a good thing!

#2 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Open a window.†Itís a big world out there.

• 4,756 posts
  • Joined 20-July 05
  • Region:South Atlantic

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:08 PM

Cool - looks easy enough and I bet it has MUCH more stopping power. I've been on the fence as to wheter I should sell my 1988 service Mustang or not. If I don't, I want to upgrade to 5-bolt rims and better brakes.

Boss 302 ForumFord Mustang EcoBoost ClubShelby GT350 ForumShelby GT350R Forum

44706_10200232353682482_93935936_n.jpg?o

Shelby Bud totally destroying the tires on my KR while I was in Michigan. I WANT new rear tires, Bud! :drop:

#3 OFFLINE   Evil95GT

Evil95GT

Come on, Rob......just ban me already

• Great Lakes Region
  • 1,336 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05
  • Region:Decline

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:54 PM

Excellent write up! I'd love to have a set up like that on our '89 (it has the dreaded 4 lug also, LOL).
Michelle
1989 Mustang LX
1995 Mustang GT

Jealous of what? I'm ideal, and I don't need a bunch of leghumpers to confirm what I already know. Love it.

Use email.......PMs are NOT private anymore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users