TheKurgan

Fast Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,309 posts
  • Joined 09-January 08
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:Racing,Flyfishing,Kayaking

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:30 AM

Yeah that Graphix Off I heard about from another member on here.  Just brush it on with a paint brush and let it sit about 5 minutes then those come right off.  It does not hurt the paint.

07 SGT - JDM302E, Paxton Novi 1500, Spec 3+, FRPP cams/intake/TB, Kooks, Tial 50mm BOV - 637 rwhp/547 rwtq - Tuned by VMP - FOR SALE!!!!!!!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#32 OFFLINE   kazman

kazman

King of Kazmania

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 20-February 17
  • Interests:Fast Women, Fast Fords, Fast Kawasakis, Guitars
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:52 AM

Plastic razor blades are your friend...

SAY WHAT YOU MEAN, DO WHAT YOU SAY 
36133266405_749eb00970_o.jpg
M-7210-B SHIFTER, M-20201-C STRUT BRACE, M-FR3A-MSVTA SUSPENSION, M-6312-SVT HARMONIC DAMPER, M-5230-S MUFFLERS, CS-40 20x9-20x10 WHEELS, VREDSTEIN 285/35-305/30

Purchased, to be installed: VMP 2.5 STOCK LOOK AND 60MM IDLER, FRPP CAI, DR3Z-8501-A IC PUMP, DR3Z-8K226-A IC, M-2004-MB BRAKE DUCT, M-5650-A, FAY's2 WATT'S LINK

#33 OFFLINE   2007_Shelby_GT

2007_Shelby_GT

Certified Shelby Nut

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,809 posts
  • Joined 18-January 08
  • Interests:Planes, cars, good times, good friends!

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:58 AM

A standard "blow dryer" doesn't get hot enough but a heat gun will - it does require care, however, it can melt plastic and burn paint!  Best time to remove stripes is in the Summer - let it sit outside in the bright sun and this will help soften the vinyl.  All you ever wanted to know about the scoops is in the Hood Scoop thread!

Sam

#34 OFFLINE   07SGT3249

07SGT3249

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 06-September 17
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Cars, mountains, fitness

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

Alright I'm going to tackle the original stripe removal soon.  I have all the following stuff either purchased or on order:

- 1500W Steamer from Harbor Freight

- 16oz GraphxOff (and applicator brush)

- GraphxOff 3"x4" plastic scraper

- Plastic scraper that holds plastic razor blades (10ct of those)

- 8oz Goo Gone

- Lil Chizler scrapers (3pk)

I'm still dreading the job but having the right tools and working at my leisure in garage should get me through it...

#35 ONLINE   SWEDEMAN

SWEDEMAN

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,956 posts
  • Joined 14-October 07

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:09 PM

A professional removal will take care of all the tools, time and hassle. You will have to have a professional install them anyway, wont you?

2007 Shelby GT/SC Paxton Pre Delivery
Shelby American
Las Vegas, Nevada

#36 OFFLINE   TAPD117

TAPD117

GLENN (GG)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Joined 28-November 06
  • Region:Southern Plains
  • Interests:I dig Mustangs & Shelbys. How about them Cowboys!

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:24 PM

Just finished reading this old thread going back to Randy's original posts.  Takes me down memory lane with all the original owners dealing with replacement strips, replacement hoods, and what type of rivet to use.

We have all come a long way since we purchased our Shelbys new.

GG

TAPD117 (My friends call me GG)

2008 Shelby GT/BJ Barrett Jackson Limited Edition Premium Convertible
Arizona Only Dealers Option Black With Red Stripes - 08SGT2290

1 of 100 SGT/BJ Limited Edition Mustangs (61 Coupes-39 Convertibles)
1 of 39 SGT/BJ Convertibles
1 of 11 SGT/BJ Convertible Automatics
1 of 5 SGT/BJ Convertible Automatics with Shaker 1000

Arkansas License Plate: SGT-BJ
SAI Transaction Notes & Results for 08SGT2290
AAI Build Date 11/26/2007
Dispatched for Shipping (Shipment NO. 2787) 01/31/2008
Marked as SHIPPED from Las Vegas SAI 02/06/2008
New Vehicle Purchase Date 08/25/2009

HID/IUP/AMB/ANTI-THEFT/SAT/6-Way Seat/Leather Interior/Barrett Jackson Headrest & Console Covers
CDC Sequential Tail Lights/Shaker 1000-Rather have NAV/Shelby Billet Engine Cap Set

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield, here is the wisdom of life"

#37 OFFLINE   07SGT3249

07SGT3249

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 06-September 17

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:46 PM

The car has it's own place in the garage and isn't a DD, so I'll take my time and do it and then give it fresh wax.  If it takes me 80 hours, so be it, but I'll take very good care of the paint.  As for install of the new stripes... my plan right now is to do it myself.  But that may change... that's obviously much easier but it also has to be done right fairly quickly... so 4 experienced hands working under lot of shop lights may be the way to go.  I've installed vinyl on my Jeep and it isn't all that hard, but there just really isn't as much room for error with the Shelby.

A professional removal will take care of all the tools, time and hassle. You will have to have a professional install them anyway, wont you?

#38 OFFLINE   EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,622 posts
  • Joined 15-March 09
  • Interests:Anything that consumes Dino Juice

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

I was quoted $1300 to have the stripes removed by a professional automotive vinyl graphics guy local to me and $500 by a semi-professional detailer.

Damaging the paint has been my greatest frear.

Edited by EL SHELBY, 06 December 2017 - 05:51 PM.

08SGT0343 Fueled with CS branded pixie dust ground from the asphault of the Mausaon Straight and defeated Ferrari's.
Posted Image

#39 OFFLINE   BIKEBOY

BIKEBOY

Refuse To Grow Up!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,450 posts
  • Joined 15-May 06
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Some, yes...

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

Hard water (and any water period, left standing) on our stripes is a HUGE :nonono:

The sun added in for good measure on the above is the final dagger!!

I know guys that drive their cars all the time and have lots and lots of miles, and their stripes look like mine. It’s all about care and maintenance.

26996924709_5851c3b163_z_d.jpg

#40 OFFLINE   mfield2a

mfield2a

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 14-August 09
  • Region:Mississippi Valley
  • Interests:Mustangs, KTM's & Moto GP!

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:45 PM

Hotrod cam's? I can't make out the exhause on your car. What you got goin' on with that beast? The idle note is really good. 👍🏻
SGT%20Sig.jpg

08SGT, HID, Ambient, Rubber Steering Wheel[/b]

#41 OFFLINE   07SGT3249

07SGT3249

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 06-September 17

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:28 AM

Hotrod cam's? I can't make out the exhause on your car. What you got goin' on with that beast? The idle note is really good.

Yes.  It's the original stock 4.6L, mod list copied from another forum below.  I've had it on 2 dynos... one made 590whp and the other 530whp.  The first dyno is known to read high so I take more stock in the second one.  I haven't raced it in a year or two, but it reliably traps 118-120mph here in Denver, DA is usually around 6,000' ASL. I've never been good at launching it.... I can get 11.7x-11.9x "all day" but have landed a few runs in the 11.5x range.

ENGINE AND FUEL
4.6L 3V, STOCK, Dyno= 530rwhp (1.15CF, Carz Performance), Dyno=590whp (1.23CF, RWR Motorsports)
Whipple HO Supercharger Kit (3.1" pulley, 9.5PSI) 
GT500 Fuel Pumps
Kenne Bell GT500 Dual Boost-a-pumps
60lbs Injectors 
GT500 Throttle Body 
Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Blower Cams
SCT Tuner on 91oct tune
N2MB WOT box (for LC and FFS)
MAFia MAF Extender

DRIVETRAIN
5 speed manual
Exedy 500 Clutch
One-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft
3.73 Gears
SLP Line Lock Kit

SUSPENSION 
Ford Racing Suspension Kit
J&M Lower Control Arms
J&M Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arm
K-Member Brace
Sway Bar Relocation Kit

TIRES AND WHEELS

DarkStar 17x7 Front
Firestone Ziex 912 225/17/55 Front
DarkStar 17x9.5 Rear
Mickey Thompson Street Radial II 285/45/17 Rear

EXHAUST
Pypes Long Tube Headers
Pypes X-Pipes
Pypes High Flow Cats 
Ford Racing Axle Back Mufflers

INTERIOR
MGW Rally Shifter
Roush Vent Pods
Carbon Fiber Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauges 
Push to Start

EXTERIOR
Shelby Hood Pins
Shelby Window Covers
Shelby Fuel Door & Grille
Shelby Grille
Raxiom Gen5 2013 Style Tail Lights

MISCELLANEOUS
UPR Billet Tensioner
Sequential Lights
Shorty Antenna

Here is a run at the strip... sorry to hijack this thread and get it so off topic!

Edited by 07SGT3249, 07 December 2017 - 05:29 AM.

#42 OFFLINE   mfield2a

mfield2a

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 14-August 09

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

Nice!!
SGT%20Sig.jpg

#43 OFFLINE   BIKEBOY

BIKEBOY

Refuse To Grow Up!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,450 posts
  • Joined 15-May 06
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Some, yes...

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:24 AM

Nice!!

+100

26996924709_5851c3b163_z_d.jpg

#44 OFFLINE   07SGT3249

07SGT3249

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 06-September 17

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

Well I spent 90 minutes on the stripe removal project just now.  I just used my new $79 Harbor Freight Steamer and some plastic razor blades and scraper holder for the blades for removal.  I had to scrub a bit to get the adhesive off in just a few places, then washed the area and waxed it.  I may wax it one more time, but I'm happy to report I've got the confidence and simple tools to do the job myself.  I'll just tackle it in small pieces and take my time.... hmmm... time to start shopping for the matte black shelby-style stripes that will be going on once this is done...

exT9TZ8.jpg

#45 OFFLINE   07SGT3249

07SGT3249

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 06-September 17

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

Just had a thought... I was planning on removing all the old silver stripes before installing new matte black stripes... but I think I'll have a much better install if I instead remove all the left side stripes, and install the new left side stripes before removing the right... then remove the right and install the right.  This way, it will be quite easy to be sure and confident that the new stripes are lined up exactly right since I can use the old silver stripes as a guide to guarantee they are dead-on parallel and correct as they go on... makes sense, eh?  So, I'll have a short period of time where I'll have new matte black left stripes and old milky silver stripes on the right... ha.. may drive it like that for a week or two.. but no more than that!

#46 OFFLINE   andrewnagle1964

andrewnagle1964

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,627 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08
  • Interests:All things good

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

Just had a thought... I was planning on removing all the old silver stripes before installing new matte black stripes... but I think I'll have a much better install if I instead remove all the left side stripes, and install the new left side stripes before removing the right... then remove the right and install the right.  This way, it will be quite easy to be sure and confident that the new stripes are lined up exactly right since I can use the old silver stripes as a guide to guarantee they are dead-on parallel and correct as they go on... makes sense, eh?  So, I'll have a short period of time where I'll have new matte black left stripes and old milky silver stripes on the right... ha.. may drive it like that for a week or two.. but no more than that!

Makes sense to me if you are sticking with vinyl

Have you thought about painting them on ?

Also what are you going to do about the hood scoop, only vinyl on that is the center stripe.

Good luck

Edited by andrewnagle1964, 09 December 2017 - 10:37 PM.

The White 07SGT4623......560rwhp/460rwtq @ 11.5lbs of boost.....shooting for 150mph in 1/2 mile

#47 OFFLINE   07SGT3249

07SGT3249

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 06-September 17

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:52 AM

Yep I'm sticking with vinyl.  I'll probably need to go through this every 8-10 years, I guess.  I don't have a plan yet for the hood scoop, but definitely need to figure something out.  I'm thinking that I'll finish the job and take the car to a body shop and have them paint the silver scoop and match it with the matte black of the new vinyl.  At that point, not sure whether I'll have them paint it two-tone (with non-matte black center stripe) or just leave the vinyl.

#48 OFFLINE   mfield2a

mfield2a

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 14-August 09

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:27 AM

If your car is in the garge and you are using UV protectant on the strips they should last a long time.
SGT%20Sig.jpg

#49 OFFLINE   andrewnagle1964

andrewnagle1964

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,627 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08
  • Interests:All things good

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:34 PM

Yep I'm sticking with vinyl.  I'll probably need to go through this every 8-10 years, I guess.  I don't have a plan yet for the hood scoop, but definitely need to figure something out.  I'm thinking that I'll finish the job and take the car to a body shop and have them paint the silver scoop and match it with the matte black of the new vinyl.  At that point, not sure whether I'll have them paint it two-tone (with non-matte black center stripe) or just leave the vinyl.

after painting the scoop matt black, I would stick with vinyl for the scoop strip since you are going vinyl for the stripes

The White 07SGT4623......560rwhp/460rwtq @ 11.5lbs of boost.....shooting for 150mph in 1/2 mile

#50 OFFLINE   07SGT3249

07SGT3249

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 06-September 17

Posted Today, 08:50 AM

Unexpected snag on my stripe removal... apparently my hood has an extra layer of clearcoat on it, but only where the stripes weren't.  Now that the hood stripes are nearly off, I've got some pretty clear lines running the length of the hood.  Unfortunately, while scraping and working the vinyl off, some places where the clearcoat stopped became jagged and or white (where wax borders it.)  When I put the new stripes on, I will need to increase the center gap between stripes by around a quarterinch so that I can move the stripes outward so that they nicely cover the line on the hood by about an 18'" where the clearcoat line is.

As for this extra layer of clearcoat, I have no idea why it is there.  It was not on the roof and I'm near positive the car has never had anything close to an accident (I am the second owner but the original owner just put it in shows and drag raced it and drove it on the weekends).

#51 ONLINE   SWEDEMAN

SWEDEMAN

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,956 posts
  • Joined 14-October 07

Posted Today, 12:30 PM

Maybe it is not clearcoat and it is hardened wax? There should be zero clearcoat on the stripes or around/up to them, unless the car was worked on paint wise.

Hmmmmm.

2007 Shelby GT/SC Paxton Pre Delivery
Shelby American
Las Vegas, Nevada

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Frank S