8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ray08

ray08

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 24-January 11
  • Interests:My red SRT-4. 370whp/390wtq. Restoration of my newly acquired 89 CSX (#75)

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

Hi to one and all. Just picked up #75 last weekend. It needs front and rear air dam/skirt, as well as fiberides and steering wheel. I think I found all of these items. Is there anything I should know about before buying? I'm hoping to get this car as close as possible to stock condition. The driver's side seat (recaro) is the worst part of the interior, but still pretty good condition. It has the ND computer, with aftermarket exhaust (2.5"), BOV and KN CAI. I will need a stock air box/hoses. A paint job will help too, but I've seen a lot worse. It has 109k on it, engine rebuilt maybe 2k miles ago.

#2 OFFLINE   glhs0075

glhs0075

Team Shelby New Member

• Canada Region
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 04-January 09
  • Region:Canada
  • Interests:Shelby Dodge vehicles and history.
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:31 PM

Welcome and congratulations! I don't know too much about CSX's, but I do own 87 GLHS #75, so you've got a good number car!!!
Stephen

1987 GLHS #0075: Black, Numbers Matching
1987 Shelby Lancer #176: Numbers Matching except the trans, boss plate is blank... I'm guessing too many burnouts while under warranty.

www.wc-tm.com
Northern Mopars
Team Shelby
SDAC National Member

#3 OFFLINE   svttim

svttim

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 8,401 posts
  • Joined 13-April 06
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Interests:Going Fast!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:15 PM

Congrats!
2008 GT500KR
NASA Super Touring #16
Firefighter/ Critical Care Paramedic

USAF Retired
Minuteman ICBM's

#4 OFFLINE   Jon H

Jon H

Team Shelby New Member

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 04-January 10
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Working with my wife and daughter with their horses.
    Going fast in my Shelbys!

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

Hi to one and all. Just picked up #75 last weekend. It needs front and rear air dam/skirt, as well as fiberides and steering wheel. I think I found all of these items. Is there anything I should know about before buying? I'm hoping to get this car as close as possible to stock condition. The driver's side seat (recaro) is the worst part of the interior, but still pretty good condition. It has the ND computer, with aftermarket exhaust (2.5"), BOV and KN CAI. I will need a stock air box/hoses. A paint job will help too, but I've seen a lot worse. It has 109k on it, engine rebuilt maybe 2k miles ago.

Hi Ray,
Congrats on the 89 CSX. I also own an 89 and can tell you there is a lot of conflicting information about this motor. Biggest problem is the VNT turbo. Vanes can stick and it is definitely recommended you use only premium fuel in this car. Supposeably has something to do with the exhaust gas temps. I rebuilt my motor top end and replaced the turbo at 112K due to sticky vanes. Made a HUGE difference in performance. I also understand exhaust back pressure plays a big role in operation of the turbo, so it is recommended you leave the stock cat / exhaust system in place. Also, you can find repo front and rear skirts for this car. I recommend staying away from curbs with these installed. Took my '89 to Shelby's 85 birthday party and was told the '89's were one of Carroll’s favorite cars to drive. A real BMW eater. Definitely a pocket rocket!
Enjoy
Jon

1967 GT500
1987 Shelby Lancer - factory mule
1989 CSX-VNT, 1 of 15 with 225's and Recaros
2008 Shelby GT-C

Edited by Jon H, 06 February 2011 - 05:01 PM.

1967 Shelby GT500 - a real Eleanor
1987 Shelby Lancer - original Shelby factory mule
1989 Shelby CSX - 1 of 15 with 225 tires and Recaro seats
2008 Shelby GT-C

Other Cars
1995 Mustang Cobra - removable hardtop
1986 Pontiac Trans Am - Grampa's car 28K miles

Too many cars - I'm always working on them!

#5 OFFLINE   ray08

ray08

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 24-January 11
  • Interests:My red SRT-4. 370whp/390wtq. Restoration of my newly acquired 89 CSX (#75)

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:14 AM

Well, I got the fiberides from Steve and they are in near perfect condition! I've heard some of the stories of the VNT dying prematurely. The good news is that the VNT25 is not a difficult item to source. The steering wheel can be reworked to like new condition with new leather wraps. I figure I'll need about $3k more for parts (front/rear bumper) and a paint job. There's under the hood parts I need too. Does anyone knows where to get an airbox, to replace the aftermarket KN CAI? With those items taken care of, she's back to OEM specs.

#6 OFFLINE   agvs24

agvs24

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 28-January 08

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

Does anyone knows where to get an airbox, to replace the aftermarket KN CAI? With those items taken care of, she's back to OEM specs.

I'll see if i can dig my way through the snow to get in my SHED i may have some extra Airbox parts, i'm not sure what i have left. If not head over to turbo-mopar.com. Chances are you'll find someone with the parts they dont want due to installing an aftermarket K&N CAI! Any 1987-1989 Turbo II Airbox should work.

BTW you have very good taste in cars.... :rockon:

Edited by agvs24, 07 February 2011 - 06:11 PM.

Chris H.
1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #91
2004 Dodge SRT-4, 2.4L Turbo FFV (E0/E85)

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   shelbymotorsports

shelbymotorsports

SAI Registry Supervisor

• 6,993 posts
  • Joined 12-November 07
  • Region:Decline

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

I'll see if i can dig my way through the snow to get in my SHED i may have some extra Airbox parts, i'm not sure what i have left. If not head over to turbo-mopar.com. Chances are you'll find someone with the parts they dont want due to installing an aftermarket K&N CAI! Any 1987-1989 Turbo II Airbox should work.
BTW you have very good taste in cars.... :rockon:

87-89 T-II Air boxes are different, at least the top cover is. Attached is a pic of the 89 csx airbox.

Steve

Attached Files

Register your Shelby at: Shelby American Registry

Order your SAI Registry Certificate at: Shelby Store

PM's turned OFF. Email me at: StevenT@ShelbyAmerican.com

SAIRegistryCert.jpg

#8 OFFLINE   BadAssPerformance

BadAssPerformance

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts
  • Joined 13-November 07
  • Interests:Hello Everybody! My name is Jason Trotter, although most know me as JT or BadAssPerformance.

I've had my Shelby Z since '94, a couple '87 CSX's and shadows since then, and my first mopar was an '86 EFI Lancer I got in '92, but have been a mopar enthusiast long before that. Late model turbo mopars are my main passion, but one of my dreams is to have a twin turbo '71 Cuda!

I am currently Director of SDAC (www.sdac.org) also the SDAC-Chicago president, long time SDAC National member, and gladly contributing to the Turbo-Mopar.com staff.

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

Congrats on the car! Got pics?
JT
SDAC Director
SDAC-Chicago President

JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
87 Shelby Z - 10.58@137.95mph
87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Posted Image

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

#9 OFFLINE   ray08

ray08

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 24-January 11

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

Thanks guys! I hope to get some pics fairly soon.

Right now, I'm worrying about an issue that started up pretty sudden. Cut to the chase: Seems like when the RPM hits 3000, in any gear, the power flattens out. If I upshift, it comes back, until 3000 RPM. I checked the air filter, and it was horribly dirty. Unfortunately, even after cleaning it (K&N), the power was still flat. Plugs look good. I'm getting worried that the turbo is suspect. What are the symptoms when these things die? I know the VNT has a reputation for carbon buildup that causes trouble, but does that manifest, ie, what are the symptoms? At least these are still available if it turns out it is bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users