#1 OFFLINE   Madlock

Madlock

Team Shelby Member

• Northeast Region
  • 1,559 posts
  • Joined 28-July 10
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

Although this lends no clarity as to whether the 50th Anniversary 2014 MY vehicle will be S197-based or derived from its successor, it's interesting nonetheless.

GENEVA -- Ford Motor Co.’s design studios worldwide will provide styling ideas for an American icon: the next generation Mustang.

“It is a common process we [now] use on every vehicle,” Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s group vice president for global product development, said today at the Geneva auto show.

Ford’s next-generation pony car will be the first Mustang with styling themes proposed by studios in Europe, Australia and other regions. Previously, Ford’s U.S. studio was solely responsible for Mustang design.

“When we embark on a new product, particularly one that is all new, it involves all of the studios. Then J [Mays] and the design team pick the best of those themes,” Kuzak said. Mays is Ford’s global design chief. Ford adopted the global design approach three years ago.

Kuzak did not say when the redesigned Mustang is due. However, industry sources say the new sports coupe will debut in the 2014 or 2015 model year.

While the final styling theme might come from outside the United States, he said, Ford’s Dearborn, Mich., studio will have responsibility to turn the selected styling theme into a production vehicle.

Kuzak said the new Ranger pickup is the latest example of product cooperation undertaken by Ford’s studios.

“The Ranger was done by the Australian studio with input from the European studio,” Kuzak said during an interview at the show. The Ranger is the first global Ford vehicle designed by the Australian subsidiary.

The Ranger pickup was introduced last year and will be sold outside North America beginning later this year.

Kuzak said the Mustang “is not just an icon in North America, it is an icon globally.”

Ford has conducted Mustang clinics in Asia and Europe. He said men and women within a wide range of ages were shown photographs of celebrities and asked, which person represents the Mustang?

The No. 1 person selected was Steve McQueen.

McQueen appeared in the 1968 movie “Bullitt,” which included a high-speed chase sequence involving a Mustang driven by McQueen on the hilly streets of San Francisco.

2014 GT500 Coupe • Race Red on Oxford White • Electronics Package • Glass Roof • Performance Package • Track Package • Recaro Seats • Shaker Pro Audio

2013 GT500 Coupe • Race Red on Performance WhiteElectronics PackageGlass RoofPerformance PackageTrack PackageRecaro SeatsShaker Pro AudioGT500 Car Cover

2013 GT500 Convertible • Race Red on Performance WhiteElectronics PackagePerformance PackageRecaro SeatsShaker Pro AudioGT500 Car Cover

2012 BOSS 302 • Performance White on Race Red • Recaro Seat and Helical Differential • BOSS 302 Car Cover

2014 Mustang GT Coupe • 6ATOxford White401A • Brick Red & Cashmere Leather • Brembo Brake PackageElectronics Package • Glass RoofComfort Package • Security Package • Backup Camera

2013 Taurus SHO • Ruby Red Metallic • Charcoal Black • SHO Performance Package • 402A • Navigation • Moonroof • ActiveMotion Seats

#2 OFFLINE   SGT0225

SGT0225

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 874 posts
  • Joined 19-November 09
  • Region:Great Lakes

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

Although this lends no clarity as to whether the 50th Anniversary 2014 MY vehicle will be S197-based or derived from its successor, it's interesting nonetheless.

GENEVA -- Ford Motor Co.’s design studios worldwide will provide styling ideas for an American icon: the next generation Mustang.

“It is a common process we [now] use on every vehicle,” Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s group vice president for global product development, said today at the Geneva auto show.

Ford’s next-generation pony car will be the first Mustang with styling themes proposed by studios in Europe, Australia and other regions. Previously, Ford’s U.S. studio was solely responsible for Mustang design.

“When we embark on a new product, particularly one that is all new, it involves all of the studios. Then J [Mays] and the design team pick the best of those themes,” Kuzak said. Mays is Ford’s global design chief. Ford adopted the global design approach three years ago.

Kuzak did not say when the redesigned Mustang is due. However, industry sources say the new sports coupe will debut in the 2014 or 2015 model year.

While the final styling theme might come from outside the United States, he said, Ford’s Dearborn, Mich., studio will have responsibility to turn the selected styling theme into a production vehicle.

Kuzak said the new Ranger pickup is the latest example of product cooperation undertaken by Ford’s studios.

“The Ranger was done by the Australian studio with input from the European studio,” Kuzak said during an interview at the show. The Ranger is the first global Ford vehicle designed by the Australian subsidiary.

The Ranger pickup was introduced last year and will be sold outside North America beginning later this year.

Kuzak said the Mustang “is not just an icon in North America, it is an icon globally.”

Ford has conducted Mustang clinics in Asia and Europe. He said men and women within a wide range of ages were shown photographs of celebrities and asked, which person represents the Mustang?

McQueen appeared in the 1968 movie “Bullitt,” which included a high-speed chase sequence involving a Mustang driven by McQueen on the hilly streets of San Francisco.

I hear it will be smaller than it is now, and have an IRS. :( I don't like.
FORD Gate Release:
12/4/2006
SHELBY Marked as SHIPPED
2/7/2007

First mod... Carroll's sig! DONE.

Other mods:

Shelby engine dress up kit
Shelby interior upgrade - absolutly Awsome! Best upgrade I could do
Shelby center console cover
Shelby windsheld banner
Shelby panhard bar
Shelby CS69 20" Wheels and tires
Craig front plate holder
Some day a Whipple.

#3 OFFLINE   Al G.

Al G.

Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 369 posts
  • Joined 03-January 10
  • Region:South Atlantic
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:16 AM

I hope the Mustang never takes on a European look. In my opinion most European or Asian cars are ugly.
Al

CSX6045 - Intense Blue Pearl, 468 ci Shelby aluminum engine, 550 hp, 5-speed Tremec
2013 GTS, 13GTS0032, Gotta Have it Green, black stripes and wheels, rear wide body, naturally aspirated 5.0, automatic

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   shelby001

shelby001

shelby001

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 13,547 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06
  • Region:Canada
  • Interests:65 G.T coupe
    65 vert
    68 Shelby G.T 500
    07`SHelby

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:39 AM

Already started look at the rear of the 10` & 11`

#5 OFFLINE   SHELBYCS6

SHELBYCS6

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07
  • Region:Canada

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

Already started look at the rear of the 10` & 11`

Hey !!...stop lookin at my butt..lol

#6 OFFLINE   SGT0225

SGT0225

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 874 posts
  • Joined 19-November 09

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

Hey !!...stop lookin at my butt..lol

The 2nd gen. GTO was designed and built in AU. (2003-04)

Look how much it looks just like a honda civic.

BIG mistake.
FORD Gate Release:
12/4/2006
SHELBY Marked as SHIPPED
2/7/2007

First mod... Carroll's sig! DONE.

Other mods:

Shelby engine dress up kit
Shelby interior upgrade - absolutly Awsome! Best upgrade I could do
Shelby center console cover
Shelby windsheld banner
Shelby panhard bar
Shelby CS69 20" Wheels and tires
Craig front plate holder
Some day a Whipple.

#7 ONLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 11,621 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Shelby GT's (what else), Guitar, Camping in my RV, auto racing, autocross, car shows

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

What we do know from this is that the current Mustang will be the last Mustang, at least for the foreseeable future, that will be uniquely American. It is moving to a "global" platform. The Mustang is an American icon, and I hate to see this happen. Ford should keep the Mustang all-American, or at least as much American as it is, because too few things are anymore. I don't like this whole "global" thing; it only serves to diminish the USA as a great and exceptional country.
2007 Shelby GT CSM# 07SGT1917 - the "Garage Queen"

Performance White, Hurst 5-Speed, Premium Package

Shelby 4.6L Racing Valve Covers ,Shelby Turbo Mufflers, Shelby GT Brake Duct Kit, "S" snake faux gas cap, Carroll Shelby autographed dash, Improved Shelby GT hood scoop replaced by Tasca Mod Shop, Craig's Custom License Plate Bracket, Baer GT Rotors, Hawk HP Plus Pads, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Hi Temp Brake Fluid, J&M Street/Race Extreme Joint Lower Control Arms, J&M Double Adjustable Panhard Rod (Street/Race) ...

2013 Mustang GT Premium - the "Daily Driver"

Black / Black & Glass Roof, 6-Speed SelectShift, Sync, NAV, Interior Upgrade.....

#8 OFFLINE   springer

springer

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

Sounds like 1994 again. For those that don't remember, Ford had some off-the-wall front wheel drive Mustang in the works that they thought about bringing into production until all the USA Mustang clubs convinced them otherwise. The sales of Mustangs overseas is minimal compared to USA sales. Minimal at best.

I wonder if Carroll Shelby was in any of the photos of the celebrities who best represent the Mustang! If not, I think Steve McQueen was a good pick.
If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play!
Shelby Baer Extreme brakes, CS 69 wheels
Shelby installed Revan heat exchanger
Shelby installed Diablo Predator tune

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Madlock

Madlock

Team Shelby Member

• Northeast Region
  • 1,559 posts
  • Joined 28-July 10

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

What we do know from this is that the current Mustang will be the last Mustang, at least for the foreseeable future, that will be uniquely American. It is moving to a "global" platform. The Mustang is an American icon, and I hate to see this happen. Ford should keep the Mustang all-American, or at least as much American as it is, because too few things are anymore.

You write as if "America" has that luxury - let alone the auto industry. You know what's a FAR bigger tragedy than a failed model? A failed maker. But we've already decided to not have those - and in so doing, we've rendered one successful maker moving forward on the strength of its product and business sense into three shaky ones, largely for the sake of continuing to subsidize the status quo that sunk it in the first place.

I have no doubt the platform will ultimately benefit - from a performance perspective. Ford is actually known as the world's best-handling mass-market brand, and what it managed to pull-off with S197 is DESPITE the chassis, not because of it. What WOULD be tragic is if Ford forgoes Mustang's unapologetic American visual styling - at least to North America. Skin for Europe and Asia whatever appeals to them - so be it.

The underlying platform will underpin at least Mustang, probably a Lincoln product, at least one Ford Australia family (Falcon/G-Series) and can give Ford a credible 3-Series/C-Class/A4 Competitor for Europe. For the difference from the 4,500 units each month Ford sells of Mustang worldwide, give me a model that allows Ford to compete more effectively and efficiently as possible - particularly as Ford has to now content with GM who has used the opportunity given it to return to the practice of buying market share - which will come at the expense of every other maker who must compete with them.

If the successor sells well - and profitably, how well it drives will only be a bonus. But whatever GT500's successor happens to be will have to come from within those boundaries.

2014 GT500 Coupe • Race Red on Oxford White • Electronics Package • Glass Roof • Performance Package • Track Package • Recaro Seats • Shaker Pro Audio

2013 GT500 Coupe • Race Red on Performance WhiteElectronics PackageGlass RoofPerformance PackageTrack PackageRecaro SeatsShaker Pro AudioGT500 Car Cover

2013 GT500 Convertible • Race Red on Performance WhiteElectronics PackagePerformance PackageRecaro SeatsShaker Pro AudioGT500 Car Cover

2012 BOSS 302 • Performance White on Race Red • Recaro Seat and Helical Differential • BOSS 302 Car Cover

2014 Mustang GT Coupe • 6ATOxford White401A • Brick Red & Cashmere Leather • Brembo Brake PackageElectronics Package • Glass RoofComfort Package • Security Package • Backup Camera

2013 Taurus SHO • Ruby Red Metallic • Charcoal Black • SHO Performance Package • 402A • Navigation • Moonroof • ActiveMotion Seats

#10 OFFLINE   Denstang65

Denstang65

Denstang65

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,273 posts
  • Joined 24-March 10
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, playing ice hockey when I can, driving my tribute GT350 everywhere.
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

What we do know from this is that the current Mustang will be the last Mustang, at least for the foreseeable future, that will be uniquely American. It is moving to a "global" platform. The Mustang is an American icon, and I hate to see this happen. Ford should keep the Mustang all-American, or at least as much American as it is, because too few things are anymore. I don't like this whole "global" thing; it only serves to diminish the USA as a great and exceptional country.

+1

#11 OFFLINE   350GT'12

350GT'12

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 14-February 11

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

Completely agree.

#12 OFFLINE   Madlock

Madlock

Team Shelby Member

• Northeast Region
  • 1,559 posts
  • Joined 28-July 10

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

You know, I could agree that America has been both great AND exceptional, but about the only ways she's been particularly great AND exceptional is in the extent to which the current generation of Americans have actively squandered-away virtually every iota of birthright their forefathers sacrificed to earn. There's precious little about America today (or being American) that shows any sense whatsoever of any of the responsibilities their "rights" are predicated upon.

America's "patriots" are, by and large, hometown fans.

#13 OFFLINE   svttim

svttim

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 8,382 posts
  • Joined 13-April 06
  • Interests:Going Fast!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

With the current ppl at Ford, Fear not. The Mustang lives
2008 GT500KR
NASA Super Touring #16
Firefighter/ Critical Care Paramedic

USAF Retired
Minuteman ICBM's

#14 OFFLINE   richard m.switzer

richard m.switzer

Terlingua Racing Team Member

• Mississippi Valley Region
  • 1,902 posts
  • Joined 06-January 08
  • Region:Mississippi Valley

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

the next mustangs should look morelike the 71 - 73 fastback mustangs ,,but what do I know,,Attached File  2011-ford-mustang-GT-front-three-quarter-promo.jpg   18.07KB   7 downloads :doh:

Edited by richard m.switzer, 05 March 2011 - 04:14 PM.

000144-R1-02-1A.jpg
000144-R1-14-13A.jpg
000392-R1-07-6A.jpg
000144-R1-19-18A.jpg
Mods are ,,Ford Racing Parts , Shelby Performance Parts ,
ford racing fender decal 001.jpg ,
Picture 011.jpg

41.gif

#15 OFFLINE   kryptonite

kryptonite

Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 287 posts
  • Joined 13-August 08
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:Sports and cars!

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

I had read that Ford will not be doing a "retro" look for the 2014.

http://www.autoguide...esign-boss.html

Edited by kryptonite, 07 March 2011 - 08:01 PM.

Russ

2005 Legend Lime Mustang GT (Shelby GT Tribute)
http://www.teamshelb...gt-tribute-car/
Member: Legend Lime Registry LLR# 042
Member: MCA #66015
Member: Team Shelby# 6184
Club President: Twisted Stallions Mustang Club
Deluxe Interior Package. 5 speed manual transmission. Cloth Seats. (#1 of 248 made in 2005)
Build Date 05/05/05 Corralled 05/23/05

"A GOOD CAR GETS YOU FROM POINT A TO POINT B.
A GREAT CAR JUST GETS YOU IN TROUBLE."

002.jpg

#16 OFFLINE   richard m.switzer

richard m.switzer

Terlingua Racing Team Member

• Mississippi Valley Region
  • 1,902 posts
  • Joined 06-January 08
  • Region:Mississippi Valley

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:06 PM

I had read that Ford will not be doing a "retro" look for the 2014.

http://www.autoguide...esign-boss.html

this is what I am hoping for Attached File  2014_5_Mustang___GT500_Blue_by_MDominy.jpg   65.55KB   35 downloads :happy feet:
000144-R1-02-1A.jpg
000144-R1-14-13A.jpg
000392-R1-07-6A.jpg
000144-R1-19-18A.jpg
Mods are ,,Ford Racing Parts , Shelby Performance Parts ,
ford racing fender decal 001.jpg ,
Picture 011.jpg

41.gif

#17 OFFLINE   socalwrench

socalwrench

The Fixer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Joined 11-April 09

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

Richard, that kind of reminds me of the "Muscle Machines" diecast cars. Remember those? They always had exaggerated looks.
TS Member
TRT Member

Greg

#18 OFFLINE   socalwrench

socalwrench

The Fixer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Joined 11-April 09

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

BTW, we've been discussing this like crazy on the mustang source --> 2014/2015 thread

Attached is my best guess at the moment. Ford is using several design studios for the next model, and Navano had this posted.

Attached Files

Edited by socalwrench, 26 March 2011 - 02:29 PM.

TS Member
TRT Member

Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users