Photo

converting a real 67 GT500 to eleanor sin?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   maverikb

maverikb

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 08-July 11

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:39 AM

So I may or may not have come across a legit 67 GT500 (body only no engine, etc). . . should find out in the next few days.

If it is legit, would I be making a mistake doing a eleanor conversion?

#2 OFFLINE   Rarecat

Rarecat

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,185 posts
  • Joined 21-July 05
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:Fast music and faster cars!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:57 AM

it would be a terrible choice
2008 Shelby GT-500 Convertible...Engine built by Matt and Tom!!!!
1981 Mustang
1968 Mercury Cougar XR7-G
1967 Mercury Cougar - Team Cougar Trans AM Replica (in progress)
2010 Fusion Sport (Daily Driver)

#3 OFFLINE   Bill Hamilton

Bill Hamilton

Mustang Owner and Driver since 1970

• South Atlantic Region
  • 970 posts
  • Joined 21-September 10
  • Interests:Mustangs and Aviation

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:03 AM

So I may or may not have come across a legit 67 GT500 (body only no engine, etc). . . should find out in the next few days.

Well I know I’m going against the grain here but here goes. A car is only original one time. After that it’s rebuilt, restored, or whatever you want to call it. Sounds like this one is lacking some of the better parts that would make it an “original”. You could buy most of the repo parts parts to redo the car, but it still wouldn’t be original. You could do a complete frame off restoration with date correct parts, but it still wouldn’t be original. Do whatever your heart and wallet allows. Enjoy your ride (or future ride).
:shift:

Edited by Bill Hamilton, 10 July 2011 - 05:13 PM.

Bill Hamilton
USAF Retired

2014 Mustang Shelby GT-500
VMP Tune
JLT Oil Separator

MRT Hood Struts
Michelin Super Sports

1970 Mustang Mach 1
2011 Mustang Shelby GT-500 (gone but not forgotten)

gallery_30184_1666_98615.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   Cali_KR

Cali_KR

King of the Road

• Team Shelby State Director
  • 4,440 posts
  • Joined 14-September 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Anything, everything!
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

The answer is NO, NO, NO...you do an Eleanor out of a base Fastback, NOT a legit car....

FWIW, Eleanors were waaaayy over done, if that is your ultimate goal, buy one that is complete, it'll save you a boat loads of cash (assuming you're building it right), and you get to drive it right away.
Unless you have the desire, time, and check book to DIY.

Of course, this is jusy my opinion, spend your $$$ how you will, but please, on behalf of all vintage Shelby owners out there, do not desecrate the original car.

Rant Over

Edited by Cali_KR, 10 July 2011 - 04:45 PM.

2012 Shelby Run Europe Participant
8 countries covering 3148 (s)miles

2008 GT500KR #552, Silver/Blue, fully optioned. CS signed visor, 2012 50th Anniversary Shelby Bash Car Show 'class' Award Winner

2006 GT-H #368 (Phoenix Hertz)

1968 GT500KR, owned since 1991. 62k orig mile car * 85th Birthday Bash Car Show Award Winner * * SAAC-35 popular vote 1st. Place Award Winner *

1966 Mustang GT Coupe, 4 speed

2012 BOSS 302 #1212

Past important rides....to me anyways...

1965 Sunbeam Tiger MK1 (260 V-8)
1967 Mustang Fastback (289)
1968 Mustang Coupe (289, track car built to replicate Trans Am B-prod)
1969 Mustang conv. (302)
1965 Corvette conv. (327)
1970 Dodge RT Challenger (383 Magnum)
1975 Trans Am (400ci 4sp)
1979 Mustang Indy Pace car (5.0L)
1986 Corvette Indy Pace Car convertible
1989 Mustang LX 5.0L
2001 Mustang Bullitt
2008 GT500 Ebony Convertible/Alloy stripe/black w/red seats (every option)
* 2010 Shelby Bash Car Show Award Winner *
2009 GT500KR, #551, 1 of 14 in Red/Silver as equipped

Team Shelby Pacific Coast Region State Director
Team Shelby Member since Day One
Shelby American Automobile Club member since 1981
Norcal SAAC Member since 1985

Facebook page, Global Auto Source
"Placing unique cars with the unique people who seek them"
www.myclassiccars.net

#5 OFFLINE   falcongtho3

falcongtho3

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,434 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

There are probably more Eleanors out there now then there are true GT500s. Only actual converted GT500 I know of was actually done for Bruckheimer for when the movie was made, and I don't think it had any actual screen time.
To take an actual GT500, to me, is a waste of a good chance to bring back something that might forever be lost and will never be made again.
'03 Mach #13

I know, I know, I said #16 before, but that's what they told me. Now it's 13. Is it too late to send it back?

#6 OFFLINE   maverikb

maverikb

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 08-July 11

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

thanks for the feedback!

I think some good points where made here that really helped me out!

Aside from the shell, nothing else is original. I'm not planning on selling the car and really want to have a project car I can work on.

If I need to spend the time, effort and money part of me feels like it be cool to make an Eleanor with the soul of the GT500 but at the same time dont want to disrespect the car or its heritage.

Edited by maverikb, 11 July 2011 - 12:15 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Jimbola23

Jimbola23

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Joined 06-July 10

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:20 PM

Look both have their value but I would restore the GT500 to its original condition and get a base fastback from say desertclassics.com and get a Eleanor body and build it that way. You would have the best of both worlds. In my opinion it would be a SIN to make that into an Eleanor Mustang! The Eleanor mustang with all body work done is like 18k but I bet you can probably talk them down from that. But this America so let us know what you decide.

Good Luck and Thanks

Jimmy
2011 GT500 SVTPP
2011 Raptor SVT
hopeful Eleanor Shelby Mustang owner at some point

#8 OFFLINE   Denstang65

Denstang65

Denstang65

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,296 posts
  • Joined 24-March 10
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, playing ice hockey when I can, driving my tribute GT350 everywhere.
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

I own a 65 clone. If I had a numbers matching real Shelby, and in your case, a shell, I would make it as close to original while using some modern bolt ons. I agree with others, use a regular fastback to make an Eleanor. In the movie, Eleanor portrayed a GT 500, yours is the real deal! Think about it. Remember, just my opinion

#9 OFFLINE   MMcGuirk

MMcGuirk

Team Shelby Member

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 2,920 posts
  • Joined 03-December 07
  • Interests:Everything automotive, NHL, NCAAF, German Shepherd dogs

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:05 AM

IMO, you could have the best of both by restoring the car to original GT500 appearance (Tony Branda makes most of the parts and trim) and installing a crate Coyote, 6 speed and modern suspension.
TEAM SHELBY PACIFIC REGION DIRECTOR
Team Shelby member 906

2011 Shelby GT350 - CSM113500040
624 HP, 604.6 RWHP Watt's Link, Partial painted stripes, Museum delivery 4/6/11 Tremec Magnum XL

#10 OFFLINE   ctann

ctann

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • Joined 06-February 06

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

Most of the time I am "Mr Original", but that being said, if you are starting from a shell, then you have a *looong* way to go to get the car back into original Shelby shape. My KR was "mostly original", and I have spent thousands just in replacing the parts that were missing or incorrect (air cleaner, snorkel and heat shield, starter delay, smog, etc...). It is pretty easy to get a Shelby mostly done using repop parts (and there are some fantastic and enthusiastic resources to help you), but at the end of the day, unless you are going to spend a lot of time and money looking for NOS or used parts, then you will still have a car that is built out of reproduction parts.

Saying that, I think that restoring the car to Shelby condition would be a great idea, but make sure you have the stomach (and the pockets) for the long haul if you go down that road. If you do, then great! I think the end result would be more rewarding than building an Eleanor (and I agree with the other comments here, that you would be better served getting a stock fastback Chassis if thats the project you want to try...)

Cheers,
Chris.

#11 OFFLINE   GT350Shelb

GT350Shelb

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 02-February 08

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:43 PM

converting anything short of a dynacorn body is a sin

#12 OFFLINE   svttim

svttim

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 8,385 posts
  • Joined 13-April 06
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Interests:Going Fast!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

No elenor please. But, there is nothing wrong with a newer motor and trans until you can aquire all the correct pieces

2008 GT500KR
NASA Super Touring #16
Firefighter/ Critical Care Paramedic

USAF Retired
Minuteman ICBM's

#13 OFFLINE   Bill Hamilton

Bill Hamilton

Mustang Owner and Driver since 1970

• South Atlantic Region
  • 970 posts
  • Joined 21-September 10
  • Interests:Mustangs and Aviation

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:29 AM

This is kinda funny, but a few years ago I was talking to one of the editors of a very popular Mustang publication and he told me that every time they had a picture of an "Eleanor" Mustang on the cover, the sales on the newsstands increased 50%. I went back and researched old issues I had and was amazed how many times various magazines had done just that. I was told the purists weren't happy but the young crowd loved it and they were the ones buying off the shelf issues.

Lotta hate and love out there for the Eleanor Mustang. Sorta like the Stock vs Mod, or original vs repo. Much of this depends on your age and when you grew up. Heck if you really want to be honest about this stuff, the original Eleanor Mustang wasn't even a Shelby (or clone). The original "Eleanor" was a 1973 Mustang Mach 1, not even a Shelby. Revisionist history amazes me. Not just in real events in which the story gets changed through the years but in remake of Hollywood movies. To me, and I'm one of the older guys, Eleanor will always be the 1973 plain Jane looking Mach 1 in the 1974 movie, not a 1967 Shelby. But that's okay, it's what era your were raised in and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

It's all good and enjoy your rides.

Posted Image

Bill Hamilton
USAF Retired

2014 Mustang Shelby GT-500
VMP Tune
JLT Oil Separator

MRT Hood Struts
Michelin Super Sports

1970 Mustang Mach 1
2011 Mustang Shelby GT-500 (gone but not forgotten)

gallery_30184_1666_98615.jpg

#14 OFFLINE   Denstang65

Denstang65

Denstang65

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,296 posts
  • Joined 24-March 10
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, playing ice hockey when I can, driving my tribute GT350 everywhere.
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

This is kinda funny, but a few years ago I was talking to one of the editors of a very popular Mustang publication and he told me that every time they had a picture of an "Eleanor" Mustang on the cover, the sales on the newsstands increased 50%. I went back and researched old issues I had and was amazed how many times various magazines had done just that. I was told the purists weren't happy but the young crowd loved it and they were the ones buying off the shelf issues.

Lotta hate and love out there for the Eleanor Mustang. Sorta like the Stock vs Mod, or original vs repo. Much of this depends on your age and when you grew up. Heck if you really want to be honest about this stuff, the original Eleanor Mustang wasn't even a Shelby (or clone). The original "Eleanor" was a 1973 Mustang Mach 1, not even a Shelby. Revisionist history amazes me. Not just in real events in which the story gets changed through the years but in remake of Hollywood movies. To me, and I'm one of the older guys, Eleanor will always be the 1973 plain Jane looking Mach 1 in the 1974 movie, not a 1967 Shelby. But that's okay, it's what era your were raised in and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

It's all good and enjoy your rides.

Posted Image

That is so true. 10 points for Bill !

#15 OFFLINE   Denstang65

Denstang65

Denstang65

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,296 posts
  • Joined 24-March 10
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

Does anybody remember what made the 73 Stang "Eleanor " so immportant to steal in the 1974 movie?
By the way, I was born in 74, great movie!

Edited by Denstang65, 15 July 2011 - 06:42 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   NMAv

NMAv

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Joined 10-January 11
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:hockey, family, weight lifting, cars

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:49 AM

http://en.wikipedia....73_Ford_Mustang)

~ NMAv

2011 highly modified Shelby GT500 with SVTPP (Kona Blue)

#17 OFFLINE   ShelbyEra08

ShelbyEra08

Shelby Enthusiast

• Northeast Region
  • 1,473 posts
  • Joined 09-February 08
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Will fill out later

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

that is true, i personally love Eleanor from the remake, i been searching on ebay for older magazine that feature the '67 Eleanor. So far i have 1 Mustang Monthly Magazine that had Carroll and Eleanor on the cover
~Matt

"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users