Photo

Official UOA thread with oil poll

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

Poll: What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L? (160 member(s) have cast votes)

What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

1. Voted Motorcraft 5W-50 (66 votes [41.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.25%

2. Castrol 5W-50 (27 votes [16.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.88%

3. Pennzoil 5W-50 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Mobil 1 5W-50 (11 votes [6.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.88%

5. Mobil 1 15W-50 (6 votes [3.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.75%

6. Red Line 5W-50 (19 votes [11.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.88%

7. Amsoil 10W-40 (21 votes [13.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.12%

8. Amsoil 10W-30 (3 votes [1.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.88%

9. Other (post what you are using) (7 votes [4.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 OFFLINE   rsfdiver

rsfdiver

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Joined 02-February 08

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

Don't worry about these folks---they are the same ones who use Turtle Wax on their cars LOL!!

Hey now, I use Turtle wax Ice now only because detailing forums recommended it and it seems to work well.
zymol when the puppies jumped on the car chasing my poor cat

Edited by rsfdiver, 18 May 2012 - 04:49 PM.

Where am I going,
and why am I in this hand basket?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#152 OFFLINE   rsfdiver

rsfdiver

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Joined 02-February 08

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

After reading this entire thread I Like alot of people still aren't sure what oil to use.
I would like to use an oil that doesn't come from the dealer. they piss me off and I will never buy a new car again. I will never expect the dealer to actually help me out. Once the deal was done it was sorry about clutch but you need to learn to drive....
My fault because:

An expectation is the first step towards a resentment.

I am leaning towords the Edge, or Mobile 1 because of the great job those brands have done for me in my other vehicles.
So... I guess I will take my chances with one or the other...
I recommend Castrol Edge because thier GTX is great.
I recommend Mobile 1 because there 5w30 is great.
I have the old vehicles still running the same as the day I bought them to prove it.

So there you have it the poles are finally in.

Edited by rsfdiver, 18 May 2012 - 04:36 PM.

Where am I going,
and why am I in this hand basket?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#153 OFFLINE   08KR525

08KR525

08KR525

• Great Lakes Region
  • 820 posts
  • Joined 30-October 09
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Interests:Family, Performance vehicles, antiques.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

So, only use 10w30 if using the 170° thermostat. Why exactly? Wouldn't it make more sense just to stick with the 10w40 just to be safe.
" My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people; those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition." - Indira Ghandi.

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

#154 OFFLINE   TexasShelby

TexasShelby

S197ShelbyOA #139

• Southern Plains Region
  • 2,954 posts
  • Joined 28-March 07
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

When my boss asks to take a trip and weather is involved, he doesn't want to know at what altitudes there is icing and where the most severe thunderdstorm cells are, he asks if I can get us there.
I never recommend anything to him. I access everything involved including, the weather, the jet's limitations, boss's limitations as well as mine and give him an answer based on that information.

In saying that, can you or do you have a suggestion for what oil an 07 with 30k, that does mostly city driving with typical 26 mile hiway commutes as well. Hot, dry, dusty dessert summers, and mostly mild driveable winters. The car at most sits about 3 or 4 weeks perhaps once or twice a year without running. No tracks or racing other than some spirited driving on occassion.
Posted Image Posted Image

Made a Deposit in May of '05. Delivered November 1st. 2006.

#155 OFFLINE   stuper01

stuper01

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 10-August 11
  • Region:Canada
  • Interests:I wanna go fast.......

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

has anyone done testing on the Royal Purple oils? and how do they test? and which viscosity?

2009 Mustang GT500.... Performance White with Ebony stripes.  1 of 28.

JLT CAI, Steeda pulley and tensioner, BMR LCA and UCA, aluminum 1 piece driveshaft and loop.  Spec clutch.  Steeda tune.

#156 ONLINE   Secondo

Secondo

Stangs Unleashed and Team Shelby Member since 2006

• Northeast Region
  • 5,312 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Raising my 3 boys!!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:39 AM

has anyone done testing on the Royal Purple oils? and how do they test? and which viscosity?

My local NAPA store with very experienced employees who race cars and sell parts to race car teams and the public for over 35 years advised me against Royal Purple motor oil for street applications. They said that it's more for racing because they change the oil after each race; there's too little detergents in it for daily use street driving.

#157 OFFLINE   SVTboy98

SVTboy98

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Joined 10-September 08

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

On the Royal Purple subject... I sent out a sample with 8822 miles from my SVT Focus (this is the API stuff they sell at Advance Auto Parts). The sample came back outstanding. Blackstone was shocked how nice the motor was at 83000 miles, and said the TBN was still 2.2, so I could easily run to 10k miles. I'm currently running the Amsoil in the Focus as my test run, so we'll see how they compare, but I was really happy with the Royal Purple results.

Edited by SVTboy98, 07 June 2012 - 09:53 AM.

2008 GT500 - 616rwhp 603rwtq
(#364/6513, #79/971 Vapor)
Performance: VMP tune/pulley, C&L intake, TR6 plugs, MGW shifter, Dynomax Ultra-flo, Dynatech headers, Ford Racing 65mm TB, Shelby (Revan) HE, 170 t-stat, McLeod RXT, PST CF driveshaft, Michelin Pilot SS, Steeda - LCAs, comp/street upper, panhard, coil-overs, bumpsteer, X5 ball joints
Appearance: Shelby plaque/sills, Steeda Spyder wheels, Formula 1 ceramic tint, shorty antenna, clear corners, Redline hood struts

#158 OFFLINE   JimC

JimC

SnakeBite

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,874 posts
  • Joined 28-September 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Life, Family, Friends, Wolves. Fast cars, Good music, Good times. Fine foods-creating new recipes & BBQ. Spending time at the lake, in the Forest, Shooting, Hiking.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

On the Royal Purple subject... I sent out a sample with 8822 miles from my SVT Focus (this is the API stuff they sell at Advance Auto Parts). The sample came back outstanding. Blackstone was shocked how nice the motor was at 83000 miles, and said the TBN was still 2.2, so I could easily run to 10k miles. I'm currently running the Amsoil in the Focus as my test run, so we'll see how they compare, but I was really happy with the Royal Purple results.

I tested royal purple in my 2007 Shelby 750WRHP on cailf 91 octane pump gas no additives.
And in my 4.6L 2010 Mustang with stock engine and drive train.

In the Shelby I use 5w50 redline engine oil but changed the transmission and rear-end out with royal purple.
Reason
I had a whining sound from the rear-end and the transmission shifting was not smooth, I was having problem.
First the rear-end whining went away immediately and there was also an instant improvement in shifting I was in heaven,

Test, A day at the track running hard.
After a day at the track the Rear-end whining returned and the shifting problems returned shortly after.

I changed out all the oils to all redline. Currently have 2000 mile on redline engine, transmission and gear box. It has been in service for 7 months, run hard, tracked and driven around with NO ISSUES.

The Mustang; normal street / freeway driving only.

The first thing I did when I got the mustang was to drain all the fluids, I Replaced the engine, transmission and rear-end with royal purple I always use the MFG recommended weigths and types.

The only real improvement was in the shifting much better. Atfer about 3k miles the improvements in the shifting were gone, it shifted as it did prior to changing. So the transmission oil is good for about 3k miles then is starts to go south.

At 5k I changed all the fluids.
With 5k mile of use:
The engine oil look new and passed my home test I was impressed, it could have gone at least another 2 to 3k miles.
I was not impressed with the transmission oil. it looked used.
The rear-end oil did not look to bad but I felt it should have held up a bit better.

After I switch out the royal purple for amsoil. There was a 75percent improvement over the royal purple. The royal purple shifted better and smoother, but the amsoil as my mechanic stated, shifts like “BUTTER” which were the exact words that came to my mind when I drove it. The amsoil is still in the mustang 7months later and still shifting quit well, In fact I may just have found a brand of transmission and rear-end fluid I feel comfortable leaving in the car for the MFG's recommend period of time.

PS
My 6.0L truck is still running amsoil, I have not been able to get out and about and drive it like I use too, but it still runs smooth and has not to my surprise burned a drop of the amsoil 15w40 H-duty oil.

So Royal purple "engine oil" works in cars (at least our car) that are driven as normal everyday cars. Works in cars that are raced but requires Mandator changing of all royal purple fluids after each race.
Amsoil fail in our honda, yet is working quite well in our truck and stang.
Redline is stiill alive and working well in my Shelby. Even though I like to replace the oil after each race, redline seems to hold up very well under hard to extream use.
Motorcraft 5w50 well I still have a quart or two I am willing to give away "FREE" to any one who wants to come and get it or is willing to pay the shipping.

Edited by JimC, 07 June 2012 - 12:37 PM.

02/16/07 Built at Auto Alliance International
Convertible - Hardtop
07/20/08 Shelby Automotive Super Snake Conversion: CSM #07SS0085

SnakeBite

Posted Image

Tuning by: Lund Racing. Tune Install, Analysis & Dyno's by Advanced Engineering Development (AED)
Engine & Drive-line Assembled, Modified & Fitted by: Santos Ford
Custom Fabrication: David's Racing
Modification and Service by: C&J Auto

Does anyone really know when all the madness ends? When is enough is enough?

With in the Fellowship of all car enthusiasts, there is a need for speed that cannot be denied, cannot be contained and will never be satisfied.
We will continue to improve and refine, pushing forward in relentless effort to redefine limits beyond expectation.
In the world of the true car enthusiast, There is no such belief that it can't be done, only the belief that "If you can imagine it, you can make it happen"
JRC

#159 OFFLINE   jerseygator

jerseygator

"Burnout Boy"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,402 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09
  • Interests:God, Family, Cars, Football...

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Another good thing I have heard about this oil is that if you are a older gentleman that is losing your hair and going bald, it will put the hair back on your head and make you super sexy with the chicks again. Posted Image

:hysterical2:

2009 GT500 "Stickers"
#1534 of 3004 coupes; #378 of 651 Performance White w/ Vista Blue stripes

Celebrity Pick All Fords Nationals, Carlisle 2010 "Clean & Correct"
Celebrity Pick All Fords Nationals, Carlisle 2012 "Track History"

47,000 miles.... It isn't a FLOWER!

Shelby Alcoa 20" rims w/ Nitto Invo's 255/35ZR front, 295/35ZR rear, Shelby LCA Relocation brackets; Shelby Short Throw Shifter, FRPP Cold-Air intake; FRPP Strut Tower Brace; JDM Engineering Tune; L&M Plenum (port matched blower); KR Exhaust; SPEC Super Twin S-Trim Clutch; AM Sequential taillights; CDC Hood Struts; Shelby Kicker Premium upgrade; Shelby GT500 Door sill; Lloyds GT500 floor mats, Visor and Dash plaque signed by Mr Shelby; Shelby 50th fender stripe... And decals GALORE!

TiltedKilt22014_zps2096ca67.jpg

2004 Jeep Rubicon Jeep wrote the book on 4X4
1931 Model A Pickup Original resotration

#160 OFFLINE   TexasShelby

TexasShelby

S197ShelbyOA #139

• Southern Plains Region
  • 2,954 posts
  • Joined 28-March 07
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

Another good thing I have heard about this oil is that if you are a older gentleman that is losing your hair and going bald, it will put the hair back on your head and make you super sexy with the chicks again. Posted Image

It will if you pour it in a GT500....Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

Made a Deposit in May of '05. Delivered November 1st. 2006.

#161 OFFLINE   UnleashedBeast

UnleashedBeast

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 318 posts
  • Joined 16-November 10

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

UOA chart in first post has been updated with many new UOA's and same engine groupings moved closer to each other for easier reading.

#162 OFFLINE   UnleashedBeast

UnleashedBeast

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 318 posts
  • Joined 16-November 10

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

First post has been updated with used samples from Schaeffer's 5W-50, Motul 300V 10W-40, Roush 5W-50, and more samples of Amsoil AMO 10W-40.

Edited by UnleashedBeast, 23 September 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#163 OFFLINE   07SGT

07SGT

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • Joined 11-January 08
  • Region:Decline

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:01 AM

Just curious. Is anyone using the new Castrol Edge (with liquid titanium) and do you have any feedback, positive or negative?

#164 OFFLINE   07SGT

07SGT

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • Joined 11-January 08
  • Region:Decline

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

From what I have read the reason many oils do not meet the Ford Spec is an additive re the catalytic converter. Other oils have the potential to contaminate the converter and then Ford would not have to repair under warranty. Some oil companies may meet the specs but do not want to go to the expense of testing the oils to Ford Specs for such a small market.

#165 OFFLINE   JimC

JimC

SnakeBite

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,874 posts
  • Joined 28-September 07
  • Interests:Life, Family, Friends, Wolves. Fast cars, Good music, Good times. Fine foods-creating new recipes & BBQ. Spending time at the lake, in the Forest, Shooting, Hiking.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Does anyone know how to extract an oil sample for testing without draining the oil at the pan?
I have just over 3 thousand miles on my oil and it looks feels smells good and passes my back yard oil testing as still good. I would like to send a sample in for a real analysis but I seem to be missing something as I can not get past the baffle to the oil in my pan when I go through the oil dip tube. Yes there is still oil in the pan, the level is between 1/8 -1/4 qt below the full mark.
Suggestion please....
Thanks
Jim

Edited by JimC, 18 November 2012 - 05:46 PM.

Convertible - Hardtop

SnakeBite

Posted Image

Tuning by: Lund Racing. Tune Install, Analysis & Dyno's by Advanced Engineering Development (AED)

With in the Fellowship of all car enthusiasts, there is a need for speed that cannot be denied, cannot be contained and will never be satisfied.
We will continue to improve and refine, pushing forward in relentless effort to redefine limits beyond expectation.
In the world of the true car enthusiast, There is no such belief that it can't be done, only the belief that "If you can imagine it, you can make it happen"
JRC

#166 OFFLINE   UnleashedBeast

UnleashedBeast

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 318 posts
  • Joined 16-November 10

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Updated the excel spreadsheet in post #1.

I would like to thank EVERYONE who has contributed so far, and Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

#167 OFFLINE   UnleashedBeast

UnleashedBeast

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 318 posts
  • Joined 16-November 10

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

Spreadsheet in post #1 has been updated with every UOA to date. A lot of good information to be found there.

Amsoil still ranks #1.

Need samples of Royal Purple HPS and XPR for comparison, but no one is running it in their GT500 that I know of. Any takers?

#168 OFFLINE   Torch40

Torch40

Charter Member Team 40th

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 2,613 posts
  • Joined 18-October 07
  • Interests:cannot be left blank

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

Spreadsheet in post #1 has been updated with every UOA to date. A lot of good information to be found there.

Amsoil still ranks #1.

Need samples of Royal Purple HPS and XPR for comparison, but no one is running it in their GT500 that I know of. Any takers?

This thread is not fun anymore. Somebody make a sarcastic comment about Amsoil to get things moving... :stirpot:

2007 Torch Red GT500 40th completed 5/22/08
638 RWHP 581 Torque

4/06/11 Pick up 2011 GT350 # 50
624 HP Polished Supercharger, Watts Link, Shelby Brakes, Museum Delivery

Proud Member of Team 40th

DSC02050_2-1.jpgGT350PickupApril6th2011008-1.jpgGT350PickupApril6th2011017-1.jpgshelbybash020-1.jpg

217f3814-fd2e-449b-8016-bfce95db752a_zps

#169 ONLINE   Secondo

Secondo

Stangs Unleashed and Team Shelby Member since 2006

• Northeast Region
  • 5,312 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06
  • Interests:Raising my 3 boys!!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Amsoil does not have a product that meets Ford specification for their supercharged 5.4 GT and GT500 engines.

#170 OFFLINE   UnleashedBeast

UnleashedBeast

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 318 posts
  • Joined 16-November 10

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

Chart in post #1 updated with latest samples.

Amsoil does not have a product that meets Ford specification for their supercharged 5.4 GT and GT500 engines.

Technically....no one does. Motorcraft 5W-50 is the only lubricant in the world that carries Ford's certification for their 5W-50 specification. Considering the Magnuson-Moss act, doesn't this mean Ford has to provide their lubricant for free if they want to void your engine warranty for using any other engine lubricant?

Edited by UnleashedBeast, 02 June 2013 - 07:23 AM.

#171 OFFLINE   NJPat

NJPat

Team Shelby New Member

• Northeast Region
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 06-January 12
  • Interests:CARS AND GOLF

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

sorry for sounding stupid, but in a 5.O Coyote with a supercharger (Over 700 RWHP), would Amsoil Racing (10W-30) be the best choice in the Amsoil family?

thanks for your advice.

Pat

#172 OFFLINE   JimC

JimC

SnakeBite

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,874 posts
  • Joined 28-September 07

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:00 AM

I’ll wake this up for you.
Here is my last used oil analysis.
Redline oil, just under 3,000 miles.
  • Important note were written in red
  • Note the different fuels used
  • Total miles on engine
  • Driving conditions
Fact: Cast iron 5.4 & Aluminum 5.4 block

1. Both Blocks, Motorcraft oil (when I used it) was used up at 1,500 mile max.

2. Cast Iron Block, "limited used" of Torco meth and 100 octane fuel only when I was using Motorcraft

3. Both Blocks, “NO” C16 fuel was ever used when I ran Motorcraft oil

4. Aluminum Block, additive was required with Motorcraft oil to prevent hard starting and resolve the low oil pressure condition on start up.

5. Redline Oil Aluminum Block, No additive required; no start up issues, same fuels used (more Torco, meth and 100 octane used) with the addition of C16 Fuel

6. Redline, Aluminum Block, average oil life 3,000 miles or twice that of the Motorcraft oil.

7. Redline oil see greater use of diverse fuel use then Motorcraft oil did.

8. Redline oil see harder driving then Motorcraft oil did.

You all have fun!

Attached Files

Edited by JimC, 03 June 2013 - 06:33 AM.

Convertible - Hardtop

SnakeBite

Posted Image

JRC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users