Photo

Official UOA thread with oil poll

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

Poll: What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L? (182 member(s) have cast votes)

What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

1. Voted Motorcraft 5W-50 (73 votes [40.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.11%

2. Castrol 5W-50 (33 votes [18.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.13%

3. Pennzoil 5W-50 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Mobil 1 5W-50 (14 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

5. Mobil 1 15W-50 (7 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

6. Red Line 5W-50 (20 votes [10.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.99%

7. Amsoil 10W-40 (22 votes [12.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.09%

8. Amsoil 10W-30 (5 votes [2.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.75%

9. Other (post what you are using) (8 votes [4.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 OFFLINE   Boris Bogdanich

Boris Bogdanich

FSST500

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 150 posts
  • Joined 08-June 14
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Cars, Boats, family.
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:11 PM

Someone might be an amsoil dealer and motor craft was the oil used most so motor craft got highlighted in red, why to target the sales pitch!  When you blow your engine on 10/40 try to explain this chart to the warranty guy at the dealership and see if that works.

#182 OFFLINE   msbmustang54

msbmustang54

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 07-June 08

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:06 PM

Well...I have been using 5W-50 Castrol EDGE with Syntec for classic cars for the past 90K miles (140K miles total now) and I still don't burn a drop of oil at my 6K oil changes.  However I am about to run out of my last two "on the shelf changes) of  5W-50 Castrol EDGE though in 18K miles or so.  

After reading this form it appears Amsoil 10W-40 is the way to go.  Anyone have any thoughts (or oil tests) on the Castrol 5W50 Edge?  I did not see any tests on it in this very comprehensive thread on oil for our 2007 GT500s.  Also does anyone know if the NEW Castrol 5W50 Edge Titanium is close to the same as my older 5W50 Edge with Syntec (and extra Zinc) for Classic Cars?  

Since I am retired now this car is going to have to last so I want to use the "Best Fluids Possible" to keep it going but since it is not being drive 100 miles every day anymore it should do better.  However the new problem is that now it is parked all day within 200 yards of the ocean in it's "car tent" instead of spending 2/3 of the time 5 days a week in Santa Clara where it is much lest "Salty"!!!

Thanks,

MSB Mustang 54 / Mark

#183 OFFLINE   Torch40

Torch40

Charter Member Team 40th

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 2,668 posts
  • Joined 18-October 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:cannot be left blank

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

Well...I have been using 5W-50 Castrol EDGE with Syntec for classic cars for the past 90K miles (140K miles total now) and I still don't burn a drop of oil at my 6K oil changes.  However I am about to run out of my last two "on the shelf changes) of  5W-50 Castrol EDGE though in 18K miles or so.  

After reading this form it appears Amsoil 10W-40 is the way to go.  Anyone have any thoughts (or oil tests) on the Castrol 5W50 Edge?  I did not see any tests on it in this very comprehensive thread on oil for our 2007 GT500s.  Also does anyone know if the NEW Castrol 5W50 Edge Titanium is close to the same as my older 5W50 Edge with Syntec (and extra Zinc) for Classic Cars?  

Since I am retired now this car is going to have to last so I want to use the "Best Fluids Possible" to keep it going but since it is not being drive 100 miles every day anymore it should do better.  However the new problem is that now it is parked all day within 200 yards of the ocean in it's "car tent" instead of spending 2/3 of the time 5 days a week in Santa Clara where it is much lest "Salty"!!!

Thanks,

MSB Mustang 54 / Mark

I would stick with what you have been using. Why change?

And thanks for posting in this thread. I've kind of missed it, very entertaining... 

2007 Torch Red GT500 40th completed 5/22/08
638 RWHP 581 Torque

4/06/11 Pick up 2011 GT350 # 50
624 HP Polished Supercharger, Watts Link, Shelby Brakes, Museum Delivery

Proud Member of Team 40th

DSC02050_2-1.jpgGT350PickupApril6th2011008-1.jpgGT350PickupApril6th2011017-1.jpgshelbybash020-1.jpg

217f3814-fd2e-449b-8016-bfce95db752a_zps

#184 OFFLINE   msbmustang54

msbmustang54

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 07-June 08

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the reply Torch40,

I did just get an email back from Castrol saying they do still make the 5W-50 Edge with Syntec oil and they are sending me a list of some places here in the SF bay area where I can purchase it.  

However they also said..."Castrol EDGE 5W-50 no longer meets Ford WSS-M2C-931-B".  I emailed them back asking if the formulation of the Edge 5W-50 has changed and that is why it no longer meets the spec.  It will be interesting to see what they say and I will post their answer as soon as I get it.

#185 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

Stangs Unleashed and Team Shelby Member since 2006

• Northeast Region
  • 6,279 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Raising my 3 boys!!

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:27 PM

With all due respect, I have no idea why, but when it comes to motor oil, people's common sense goes out the window. You can get the Ford specification with Motorcraft and Amsol oil 5w-50. Classic formula engine oil should not be used in modern engines. I was told by my very knowledgeable NAPA counterman that the extra zinc is not needed (roller cams) in modern engines and can even ruin the rings and catalytic converters. From Castrol site:
"CLASSIC ENGINE OILS
WHY USE CLASSIC OILS ? The formulations required for modern vehicles are very different from those needed for older vehicles. Oils for modern engines comply with the latest API ratings of SN/CF and specific ACEA and OEM specifications dealing with fuel efficiency, extended drain intervals and aftermarket exhaust treatment systems and are specifically designed for the modern engine needs.

A classic car engine however, can have the opposite characteristics with cork/graphite/rope seals, low pressure gear driven oil pumps, larger oil galleries with greater dependence on "splash" and "cling" lubrication, lower revving with larger machine clearances. Such a widely different engine design can demand a totally different lubricant and the Castrol Classic Oils range offers formulations for older vehicles that have been specially blended for the work they have to do.

Inadequate detergent can result in gums and lacquers clinging to the hotter engine components, and blocking oil galleries But, too much detergent can cause a build-up of metallic ash in the combustion chambers and piston crowns . In older engines with traditionally high oil consumption, this can cause detonation and pinking.

In older engines where the carbon has built up over a number of years detergents can have a scouring effect, causing the carbon to flake off, blocking up oil galleries and spray jets. High levels of detergent can also "wash" traces of carbon from seals and gaskets, revealing oil leaks where the carbon itself is creating a seal.

Insufficient anti-oxidant and the oil can quickly thicken during high temperature motoring, with large amounts of carbon, gum and varnish clogging oil galleries, filters and piston rings.

Anti-wear additives are added to ensure that if the oil film between moving parts breaks down prematurely, metal to metal contact and irreparable engine damage is prevented.

Engine internals can become pitted with corrosion and rust from acids and water vapour formed during combustion. With the correct corrosion inhibitors, the components are well protected.

Special dispersant additives prevent soot, wear metals and the by-products of combustion settling out in the sump and other areas of the engine, and forming a thick sludge that can block filters and oil ways.

If there is inadequate pour point depressant the oil ceases to flow at low temperatures, with excessive strain on the oil pump or in certain cases, oil starvation on start-up causing complete failure of the lubrication system.

Castrol Classic Oils are specially formulated in the style of the original products, but using the most appropriate and carefully balanced additive technology to provide the best protection and performance for your classic engine. "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users