#1 OFFLINE   sjohnson2615

sjohnson2615

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 14-January 11

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

I was hoping someone who has already gone through this can be of some help.I have used the search feature but all that did was confuse me more.

I want to purchase a set of Shelby Razor wheels and was trying to determine the correct size.When I search this site I seem to find 20 x9's only, with either
a 24mm offset or a 40mm offset.There are different opinions on which offset is better.The common tire size is 255 35 20 and 275 35 20 for the rear.

I went to the "American Muscle" website to order the wheel/tire combo with Nitto tires.
What I am finding there is 20x10 48mm offset with 285 30 20 for the rear and 20x9 30mm offset with 255 35 20 for the front.
Have the Razors been changed since they first came out? Are they made by someone else? Will these fit properly?
They look exactly the same and when I called American Muscle they said they are the correct size and offset for our lowered cars.If so,why are they different
Than the ones everyone on this forum seems to have?

#2 OFFLINE   nnadelizi

nnadelizi

Team Shelby New Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 111 posts
  • Joined 30-November 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

I have rhe exact 9" wheel and tire size you mentioned with the 40 offset. Looks great! I also got them from American Muscle and had a good experience. I do like the tires tucked in a bid but could stand to have a little larger size in the rear. Since the tires are staggered anyway, I bet the 10" rear they offer now, with a larger tire might look good. Good Luck!
Nick
Nick Adelizi 2007 Shelby GT/SC California, Peformance White CSM#5221 Shelby GT/SC Package installed at Shelby American in Las Vegas, NV. Completed on Aug. 12, 2013 with Kenne Bell Supercharger, 20 inch Shelby Razor wheels, mirror covers,etc

#3 OFFLINE   sjohnson2615

sjohnson2615

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 14-January 11

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:21 AM

I have rhe exact 9" wheel and tire size you mentioned with the 40 offset. Looks great! I also got them from American Muscle and had a good experience. I do like the tires tucked in a bid but could stand to have a little larger size in the rear. Since the tires are staggered anyway, I bet the 10" rear they offer now, with a larger tire might look good. Good Luck!
Nick

Thanks
What I am learning on other sites is that the only drawback with the sizes I mentioned is that I can't go to a big brake if I ever wanted to.
That was not on my list of things to do,but I am undecided if I want to buy wheels that eliminate the possibility if I change my mind later on.
The Razors the fit the big brake are the 24mm offset,but those stick out some and I have not seen them in person to see if I could live with that.
I normally do not like the look of the wheels sticking out of the wheel wells.

#4 OFFLINE   SGT0128

SGT0128

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,514 posts
  • Joined 12-October 09
  • Region:Southern Plains
  • Interests:Anything with wheels, any sport with a ball, anything that fires a projectile.

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:29 AM

For me I have no plans on racing my car therefor no need for the big brakes, I would rather have the tires under the fender. I guess it just depends on what look your going for or if you going to race.
Posted Image

Dwain Jones
Pflugerville, Texas
Shelbygtc0128@gmail.com
www.centexsvt.com

"The US Constitution should be used more as a sword for the victims rather than a shield for the guilty" Jack McCoy

2008 Shelby GT-C
CSM 08SGT0128

#5 OFFLINE   nnadelizi

nnadelizi

Team Shelby New Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 111 posts
  • Joined 30-November 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

You could always use a small wheel spacer if you went with the Extreme Brakes. Since I don't race the car I am going to go with the upgraded rotors at all 4 corners and the Shelby GT Plus brakes up front. Better braking and better looks!
Nick Adelizi 2007 Shelby GT/SC California, Peformance White CSM#5221 Shelby GT/SC Package installed at Shelby American in Las Vegas, NV. Completed on Aug. 12, 2013 with Kenne Bell Supercharger, 20 inch Shelby Razor wheels, mirror covers,etc

#6 OFFLINE   sjohnson2615

sjohnson2615

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 14-January 11

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

For me I have no plans on racing my car therefor no need for the big brakes, I would rather have the tires under the fender. I guess it just depends on what look your going for or if you going to race.

I am definately not racing the car either and have no NEED for big brakes.I was just hoping the new wheels won't dwarf the old brakes.
If I replaced them it would be just because it would look better with the bigger wheels and I realize that is not really a good reason to go to big brakes.

#7 OFFLINE   sjohnson2615

sjohnson2615

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 14-January 11

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

You could always use a small wheel spacer if you went with the Extreme Brakes. Since I don't race the car I am going to go with the upgraded rotors at all 4 corners and the Shelby GT Plus brakes up front. Better braking and better looks!

Thanks

That is a good idea to solve the looks problem.

#8 OFFLINE   SGT0128

SGT0128

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,514 posts
  • Joined 12-October 09
  • Interests:Anything with wheels, any sport with a ball, anything that fires a projectile.

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

Thanks

That is a good idea to solve the looks problem.

Be sure to post pics when you decide.
Posted Image

Dwain Jones
Pflugerville, Texas
Shelbygtc0128@gmail.com
www.centexsvt.com

"The US Constitution should be used more as a sword for the victims rather than a shield for the guilty" Jack McCoy

2008 Shelby GT-C
CSM 08SGT0128

#9 OFFLINE   2008GT-C

2008GT-C

Team Shelby New Member

• Northeast Region
  • 152 posts
  • Joined 20-February 09
  • Region:Decline
  • Interests:NASCAR, NHRA, Car Shows, Motorcycles, Food

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

I have the razor wheels with the 24mm offset. The difference between 24mm and 40mm is approximately a 1/2". I don't have plans to race the car but I knew when I bought the wheels I would be putting on a supercharger and Brembo brakes. There are those that will differ with my opinion but I don't like wheel spacers and find them not very safe and they need to be installed properly and wheel torque maintained. If you have plans to go with the big brakes buy the right wheels the first time. I wanted my car to have the stopping power to match the go power with the supercharger. - Kevin

#10 OFFLINE   sjohnson2615

sjohnson2615

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 14-January 11

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:47 AM

I have the razor wheels with the 24mm offset. The difference between 24mm and 40mm is approximately a 1/2". I don't have plans to race the car but I knew when I bought the wheels I would be putting on a supercharger and Brembo brakes. There are those that will differ with my opinion but I don't like wheel spacers and find them not very safe and they need to be installed properly and wheel torque maintained. If you have plans to go with the big brakes buy the right wheels the first time. I wanted my car to have the stopping power to match the go power with the supercharger. - Kevin

That would make the decision easier,but they are not making the 24mm offset anymore.The fronts are now 30mm offset and the 10 inch rears are 48mm offset,or just all 4 9 inch wheels with the 30mm.
The 24mm did not come in 10 inch so the new size offset has that advantage of wider rears,just no Brembos.
I like the look of the gunmetal Razors on the white Shelby GT,so I guess I will have to go with the new offsets and just have to replace them down the road IF I ever go to brakes that won't fit.
There really seems to be no other choice.(except for a different wheel altogether like a CS40)

#11 OFFLINE   JeffJ

JeffJ

Hertz #102

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 4,026 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07
  • Region:Mountain

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:12 AM

Ok, somebody help me here. I've been trying to rack my brain around this looking at my wheels which are the +24 offset. How would the offset have anything to do with fitting over the brakes or not with the same wheel type? Is the center section of the wheel actually cut different? Most wheel companies change the offset by where the center section with the spokes is welded to the wheel itself, moving the center section in or out on the wheel. Is the +40 Razor actually have a different spoke design to change the offset, keeping the same dish depth, or is the center flange cut thinner? It's the center design of the wheel and the spoke design around the center which make the wheel fit over the brakes or not. The offset is just where the outside wheel itself is welded to the center section, moving it in or out. Is the center section of the Razor actually built different on the +40 vs the +24? If so, then I can see how that would make brake fitment different. I have the +24's on my car over the Brembos, but I can't see how the +40s would make any difference of the fitment if the center is the same. The spoke to the mounting surface is what goes over the brake caliper. The additional 1/2" offset would just move the tire section width further into the car.
JeffJ
2006 Shelby GTH-SC #102
2013 Roush RS - Daily Driver
1993 F150 Lightning #711
1989 AutoKraft/Kenny Brown Short Wheel Base T-bird #001 with a 1969 Supercharged Boss 302 5 speed
1994 AutoKraft Short Wheel Base Lincoln MK VIII #006
1999 F-350 Powerstoke Pony Hauler (Both 4 legged and 4 tired!)
1990 7-Up LX 5.0 Convert - Auto (current basket case, building for my daughter's first car)
1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster 5.0 supercharged Ford V-8
1972 Ford F100 Shortbed 390 auto
1973 Datsun 610 302 Ford V8 power, drift and road race car.
1951 Ford F6 Dump Truck powered by 1985 Ford roller 5.0, full tilt font, can haul 6 tons of rock and run a 18.0 quarter!
2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 V8
2004 Chrysler Crossfire 3.2 Mecedes V-6 6 speed - wife's daily driver

#12 OFFLINE   sjohnson2615

sjohnson2615

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 14-January 11

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

Ok, somebody help me here. I've been trying to rack my brain around this looking at my wheels which are the +24 offset. How would the offset have anything to do with fitting over the brakes or not with the same wheel type? Is the center section of the wheel actually cut different? Most wheel companies change the offset by where the center section with the spokes is welded to the wheel itself, moving the center section in or out on the wheel. Is the +40 Razor actually have a different spoke design to change the offset, keeping the same dish depth, or is the center flange cut thinner? It's the center design of the wheel and the spoke design around the center which make the wheel fit over the brakes or not. The offset is just where the outside wheel itself is welded to the center section, moving it in or out. Is the center section of the Razor actually built different on the +40 vs the +24? If so, then I can see how that would make brake fitment different. I have the +24's on my car over the Brembos, but I can't see how the +40s would make any difference of the fitment if the center is the same. The spoke to the mounting surface is what goes over the brake caliper. The additional 1/2" offset would just move the tire section width further into the car.

I wish I could give you an answer.That is along the line of what I was trying to find out in my first post.
All that I can tell you is 24mm offset Razors fit the big brakes and the site "American Muscle" where I am getting mine have on their website that the 30mm front and 48mm offset rear
will NOT fit the big brakes.
I always thought about offset the way you explained it above.
I am sure someone can explain.

#13 OFFLINE   JeffJ

JeffJ

Hertz #102

• 4,026 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

I have also read those stories on the other sites about the +24 sticking out, etc. I don't have that problem at all. I love my 20x9's with the +24. I did put an adjustable panhard bar in to better center the rear end under the car. You don't notice how far it is off center until you put these wheels and tires on. I can get you all the pictures you want. I did today however order two of the 20x10's that American Muscle has. Since they are not made any longer, I figured I better jump if I want a set. I will probably not be using them for a long time, but at least I'll have them. I'll also have to have the centers blasted and powdercoated black at some point, but that is no problem around here. When I get them in, I'm going to pull a front wheel off and just do a fitment over the Brembo's to see what the story is on the front if they would fit or not. I'm getting them for the rear, so I know I will not have any problems there. But just for the sake of sayin..... I'll let you all know.....
JeffJ
2006 Shelby GTH-SC #102
1993 F150 Lightning #711
1989 AutoKraft/Kenny Brown Short Wheel Base T-bird #001 with a 1969 Supercharged Boss 302 5 speed
1990 7-Up LX 5.0 Convert - Auto (current basket case, building for my daughter's first car)
1951 Ford F6 Dump Truck powered by 1985 Ford roller 5.0, full tilt font, can haul 6 tons of rock and run a 18.0 quarter!

#14 OFFLINE   jwestercamp

jwestercamp

Team Shelby Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 601 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09
  • Region:Mississippi Valley

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

Thanks
What I am learning on other sites is that the only drawback with the sizes I mentioned is that I can't go to a big brake if I ever wanted to.
That was not on my list of things to do,but I am undecided if I want to buy wheels that eliminate the possibility if I change my mind later on.
The Razors the fit the big brake are the 24mm offset,but those stick out some and I have not seen them in person to see if I could live with that.
I normally do not like the look of the wheels sticking out of the wheel wells.

With the size of those 20" without big brakes looks funny. I think i have the 24mm offset on mine and i didn't get the big brakes on for a season and man it looked funny kinda like those guys that put the 24" on the Navigators/Esclades and have the small stock brakes and all that room in between just my thoughts though..

#15 OFFLINE   39Mustang

39Mustang

Team Shelby Member

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 1,468 posts
  • Joined 19-November 05
  • Region:Decline
  • Interests:Mustangs, Broncos, Dogs, Sports, Diecast, Traveling, Disney World (grew up in FL its the law!), Hawaii,
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

I was hoping someone who has already gone through this can be of some help.I have used the search feature but all that did was confuse me more.

I want to purchase a set of Shelby Razor wheels and was trying to determine the correct size.When I search this site I seem to find 20 x9's only, with either
a 24mm offset or a 40mm offset.There are different opinions on which offset is better.The common tire size is 255 35 20 and 275 35 20 for the rear.

I went to the "American Muscle" website to order the wheel/tire combo with Nitto tires.
What I am finding there is 20x10 48mm offset with 285 30 20 for the rear and 20x9 30mm offset with 255 35 20 for the front.
Have the Razors been changed since they first came out? Are they made by someone else? Will these fit properly?
They look exactly the same and when I called American Muscle they said they are the correct size and offset for our lowered cars.If so,why are they different
Than the ones everyone on this forum seems to have?

I have the Razor's/Nitto's and would like to sell the Nitto's real cheap with only 5,000 miles on them. They are 255/35/20 and 275/35/20. Tires are in perfect condition I have always preferred Michelin's or BF Goodrich
1968 Mustang Fastback Restomod - in process of building
1970 Mustang Convertible 351C 4v Shaker - For Sale
1973 Mach 1 (Father's - original owner) - Restomod
1973 Mustang Convertible Q-code 351CJ Ram-Air
1992 SAAC MKI (Griggs GR40 equipped) - Up FOR SALE Ultra Rare! $45,000
2006 Mustang GT Legend Lime - FOR SALE $19,900 (loaded with goodies)
2008 Shelby GT/SC (Griggs equipped)
2013 Shelby GT350 Convertible

maybe a 2014 Raptor now

#16 OFFLINE   sjohnson2615

sjohnson2615

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 14-January 11

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:01 AM

I have the Razor's/Nitto's and would like to sell the Nitto's real cheap with only 5,000 miles on them. They are 255/35/20 and 275/35/20. Tires are in perfect condition I have always preferred Michelin's or BF Goodrich

I just ordered mine yesterday from American Muscle already mounted and balanced with the tps.I have never had Nitto tires before but read good things so I thought I would give them a try.
I liked the idea of having them delivered ready to put on and American Muscle did not offer all brands of tires.

#17 OFFLINE   JeffJ

JeffJ

Hertz #102

• 4,026 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

Ok, results are in! Well, our logic isn't fouled, but the results......as stated, the only way that these wheels would not work with big brakes is that the wheel would have to be designed completely different. Guess what...the wheel is designed completely different. These wheels will NOT work with big brakes or GT500 Brembo's. As soon as I opened the box, I was able to notice that the center section of the wheel was not near as arched as mine. The spokes are not arched out in the center like my +24's. However, the 20x10's are going to be awsome for the back. The are built perfectly to stuff as much tire as possible under there and fit. The 20x9's +30 and 20x10's +48 would be and awsome combo on a GT with out big brakes. See pictures below for the design difference:

Posted Image

Spoke on 20x9's +24:

Posted Image

Spoke on 20x10's +48

Posted Image

20x9's fitment around Brembo's
Posted Image

20x10's, no way in heck!
Posted Image

20x10's on the back, awsomness!
Posted Image

20x9's +24 Space from hub surface to center of spoke arch, 2.3":
Posted Image

20x10's +48 Space from hub surface to center of spoke arch, 1.2" wow, huge difference.
Posted Image

Edited by JeffJ, 25 October 2011 - 04:55 PM.

JeffJ
2006 Shelby GTH-SC #102
1993 F150 Lightning #711

#18 OFFLINE   sjohnson2615

sjohnson2615

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 14-January 11

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:49 AM

[quote name='JeffJ' timestamp='1319586795' post='1215303']
Ok, results are in! Well, our logic isn't fouled, but the results......as stated, the only way that these wheels would not work with big brakes is that the wheel would have to be designed completely different. Guess what...the wheel is designed completely different. These wheels will NOT work with big brakes or GT500 Brembo's. As soon as I opened the box, I was able to notice that the center section of the wheel was not near as arched as mine. The spokes are not arched out in the center like my +24's. However, the 20x10's are going to be awsome for the back. The are built perfectly to stuff as much tire as possible under there and fit. The 20x9's +30 and 20x10's +48 would be and awsome combo on a GT with out big brakes. See pictures below for the design difference.

Thanks for checking that out.
That makes sense now that I see your measurements.
I received my wheels and tires and will change them this weekend.I like the wider look and deeper dish on the rears.
As long as they fit properly,the staggered look should look good.

#19 OFFLINE   judgeman6970

judgeman6970

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 436 posts
  • Joined 07-May 09
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

Running the 20x9/+40mm gunmetal razors on my white SGT, with 255/35 & 275/35 tires......LOVE the look & get a lot of compliments on them....I also added some drilled/slotted rotors to complete the "look". IMO, the front brakes dont look "too small" for the wheels(as others have stated), but the rears do look somewhat "smallish". So if anything, larger rotors & caliper re-location brackets could be added to the rear for minimal cost.......

Attached Files

2011 GT500 SVTP red/white.... 2009 GT500 grabber orange #57 of 68....and other "non-fords"

#20 OFFLINE   TexasShelby

TexasShelby

S197ShelbyOA #139

• Southern Plains Region
  • 2,948 posts
  • Joined 28-March 07

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:03 AM

Has anyone got the 20X10 mounted and installed with some shots?
Posted Image Posted Image

Made a Deposit in May of '05. Delivered November 1st. 2006.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users