#1 OFFLINE   JT93

JT93

07SGT5059

• Great Lakes Region
  • 582 posts
  • Joined 26-January 10
  • Region:Great Lakes

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

I've been debating which FRPP gears would give me the best value/power ratio. I'm going to stay NA, and I'm in progress with the install of the FRPP intake and FRPP long tube headers. I already have the FRPP hot rod cams and FRPP 62mm throttle body installed. I'd like to have more power on the track, and from light to light, but I'm not worried about 1/4 mile times since I don't drag the car. Anyone worked through this internal debate as well or know someone that has? Thoughts?

mw2paq.jpg

Whatever the competition comes out with, we'll kick the hell out of 'em. - Carroll Shelby

Carroll Shelby Signed Airbag Cover
Great Lakes Region Windshield Banner
Sequential Tail Lights

Boss 302 Rear Seat Delete
Corbeau TRS Seats
Corbeau Racing Harnesses
Shelby Harness Bar
Shelby Harness Pads
SVT Rims for the track
Boss 302 Rims for the street
FRPP Hot Rod Cams
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body
FRPP Intake Manifold
FRPP Black Cam Covers

FRPP 3.73:1 Gearset

FR500S Differential

FRPP Hubs w/ ARP Studs
Brembo Brake Upgrade
FRPP Brake Cooling Kit

Shaftmasters Driveshaft
Dynatech Long Tubes w/ High Flow Cats
MRT Muffler Delete

Tow Hook with Custom Bracket
Tuned by Paul's High Performance

#2 OFFLINE   ARMORINE

ARMORINE

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 19-February 09

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

4:10's for the love of god 4:10's!!!! i have cams and the fullshebang. the 4:10's really brought it all together.
having a 9 second ricer is like coming out of the closet, at first you surprise every one but at the end of the day your still gay
man kind has earned the right to rule this planet by occasionally producing someone totally bats#$t insane

#3 OFFLINE   JT93

JT93

07SGT5059

• Great Lakes Region
  • 582 posts
  • Joined 26-January 10

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

4:10's for the love of god 4:10's!!!! i have cams and the fullshebang. the 4:10's really brought it all together.

Does the fullshebang include a SC?

mw2paq.jpg

Whatever the competition comes out with, we'll kick the hell out of 'em. - Carroll Shelby

Sequential Tail Lights

Corbeau TRS Seats
Corbeau Racing Harnesses
Shelby Harness Bar
Shelby Harness Pads
SVT Rims for the track
FRPP Hot Rod Cams
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body
FRPP Intake Manifold
FRPP Black Cam Covers

FR500S Differential

FRPP Hubs w/ ARP Studs
Brembo Brake Upgrade
FRPP Brake Cooling Kit

Shaftmasters Driveshaft
MRT Muffler Delete

#4 OFFLINE   Bushmaster

Bushmaster

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 686 posts
  • Joined 23-September 10
  • Region:Southern Plains
  • Interests:Mustangs, drag racing, herpetology, model building

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:19 AM

With your stock 3.55s, 3.73s would be a waste of time and money - just not enough difference to be worth it. And within a week you'd be kicking yourself for not going with 4.10s.

Find someone in your local Mustang club who'll let you check out their 4.10-equipped GT. Should be easy to do since it's one of the most common modifications to any year Mustang.

You will never regret 4.10s - I always recommend having them installed at the dealer. They know what they're doing, they have all the parts (shims, gaskets, lube, etc), they'll stand behind their work, and it will sidestep any potential warranty issues.
Posted Image

2008 Shelby Mustang GT-C
CSM#08SGT0163

#5 OFFLINE   jwhite1967

jwhite1967

Team Shelby New Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 17-July 07

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:14 AM

With your stock 3.55s, 3.73s would be a waste of time and money - just not enough difference to be worth it. And within a week you'd be kicking yourself for not going with 4.10s.

Find someone in your local Mustang club who'll let you check out their 4.10-equipped GT. Should be easy to do since it's one of the most common modifications to any year Mustang.

You will never regret 4.10s - I always recommend having them installed at the dealer. They know what they're doing, they have all the parts (shims, gaskets, lube, etc), they'll stand behind their work, and it will sidestep any potential warranty issues.

Agree with others. 4.10's are the way to go. I moved from the 3.55's to the 3.73's into the 4.10's this year. Wish I had done it 4 years ago.
Shelby GT #657, purchased 7/7/07, Black 5 speed, Shelby Billet Hood Pins, Lower Grill, Shelby arm rest cover, Shelby GT dead pedal, Shelby head rest covers, Shelby GT engine cap set, Shelby GT fuse box cover, Berg gas cap, Steeda carbon fiber elbow, Goodridge stainless brake lines, EBC slotted rotors, EBC yellow pads, autographed air bag cover, Shelby strut tower brace, CS6 grill, Quantum Motorsports brake ducts, J&M lower control arms, Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 tires, functional hood scoop, 4.10 gears, Steeda UCA, Shelby GT valve covers, KR exhaust, Fays2 Watts link, Koni Yellow struts.

#6 OFFLINE   JeffJ

JeffJ

Hertz #102

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 4,165 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07
  • Region:Mountain

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:07 AM

Agreed, you would hardly notice the difference between 3.55 and 3.73. I have a set of 4.10's ready to go in my car. I have an auto however. I really need the 4.10's.
JeffJ
2006 Shelby GTH-SC #102
2013 Roush RS - Daily Driver
1993 F150 Lightning #711
1989 AutoKraft/Kenny Brown Short Wheel Base T-bird #001 with a 1969 Supercharged Boss 302 5 speed
1994 AutoKraft Short Wheel Base Lincoln MK VIII #006
1999 F-350 Powerstoke Pony Hauler (Both 4 legged and 4 tired!)
1990 7-Up LX 5.0 Convert - Auto (current basket case, building for my daughter's first car)
1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster 5.0 Coyote, PA Auto with paddle shift
1972 Ford F100 Shortbed 390 auto
1951 Ford F6 Dump Truck powered by 1985 Ford roller 5.0, full tilt font, can haul 6 tons of rock and run a 18.0 quarter!
2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 V8 - Wifes driver

#7 OFFLINE   ledfoot73

ledfoot73

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 06-July 08

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

I put 4:10's in mine when the car had about 2500 miles on it. It makes first gear pretty short, but NA it's the only way to go. The pull through the gears is just so much harder and I actually think that my fuel economy in town went up. It makes 5th gear much more useable in town. You'll love them on the street and the track.

Edited by ledfoot73, 16 December 2011 - 09:41 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   SHELBYGT698

SHELBYGT698

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 27-March 08

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

4.10 is the way to go but be sure to buy a bearing kit also. Many people recommend purchasing the bearing install kit also. I sell Motive Gear if you are interested.

#9 OFFLINE   JT93

JT93

07SGT5059

• Great Lakes Region
  • 582 posts
  • Joined 26-January 10

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:54 AM

What does a dealer install usually cost for something like this?

mw2paq.jpg

Sequential Tail Lights

Corbeau TRS Seats
Corbeau Racing Harnesses
Shelby Harness Bar
Shelby Harness Pads
SVT Rims for the track
FRPP Hot Rod Cams
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body
FRPP Intake Manifold
FRPP Black Cam Covers

FR500S Differential

FRPP Hubs w/ ARP Studs
Brembo Brake Upgrade
FRPP Brake Cooling Kit

Shaftmasters Driveshaft
MRT Muffler Delete

#10 OFFLINE   Bushmaster

Bushmaster

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 686 posts
  • Joined 23-September 10

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

What does a dealer install usually cost for something like this?

Mine were only $200 but that was very cheap, and that was almost ten years ago. If you can get them installed for twice that you're in the ballpark. I'd ask around in your town since all dealers aren't equal in terms of quality of service - find out by word of mouth which local Ford service department is the best.
Posted Image

2008 Shelby Mustang GT-C
CSM#08SGT0163

#11 OFFLINE   Kvin C

Kvin C

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 223 posts
  • Joined 30-October 07
  • Interests:Masters competitive distance runner, from the Mile to the Marathon. The racing starts....after my SGT is parked!

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

Don't fear the gear - do it right the first time. Hardly as radical as it may first seem.
An Old Man's Hot Rod - 2007 SGT #5048, Black, 5-Speed - With Some SHOW -Raceskinz Rear Seat Delete Kit With Roll Bar, Shelby Terlingua Bunny Trunk Lid Liner, Silver Horse Racing Flush-Mount Quarter Window Louvers, Shelby Black Mesh Upper Grille, Aluminum Moroso Racing Tanks, FRP Chrome Valve Covers, Assorted Underhood Doo-Dads and Mr. Shelby's Sig Riding Shotgun - With Some GO - Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, FRP 62MM Polished Throttle Body, Steeda CF Inlet Elbow, Livernois Stage 2 Heads, FRP Hot Rod Cams, FRP Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers, Steeda One-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft, FRP 4.10 Rear Gears, All Tied Together With Custom 'Mustang Dyno' Tune - And With Some WHOA - Stillen Pillar Vein Slotted Rotors, Stillen Matrix Pads, Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines, and Agent 47 Front Brake Cooling Kit .... N/A All The Way!

#12 OFFLINE   tpow96

tpow96

A is for Apple... R is for Race

• Northeast Region
  • 361 posts
  • Joined 15-January 08
  • Region:Northeast

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

For those of you with 4:10s and also track the car, what diference does it make from 3.73s
around the course. I am speaking NA here. I'd like specifics if possible, like at Road Atlanta,
Summit, Lime Rock, or <insert track here> your lap times have improved by X amount with
the shorter gears.

Don't need drag time improvements.

Thanks.

-Tom
SGT #4803 California Edition

Previous Mustangs:

1993 SSP ex-FHP
1988 5.0L Convertible
1979 302 ('85 drivetrain, exhaust, suspension)

#13 OFFLINE   old man

old man

oldman

• Mississippi Valley Region
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 21-April 10
  • Region:Decline
  • Interests:auto's, grandchildren, older vehicle rebuilds and motorcycles

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

I put the 4.10s in my 07 GT-H. I had them installed at Brenspeed in northern Indiana. About $400.00 to install, but in the winter they some times offer half price installs. I have had no problems at all. I took a trip this summer and averaged 20.3 mpg on the interstate. I would recommend them to anyone. Give Channler a call, they are great to work with and will answer all your questions.
good luck. Harley

#14 OFFLINE   andrewnagle1964

andrewnagle1964

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,415 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08
  • Region:South Atlantic

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

I have a very similar set up NA (sometimes on the bottle) with FRPP intake, FRPP throttle body and FRPP cams with American Racing Long tubes and the FRPP 4.10's. You will get in and out of first pretty darn fast and the pull it great. I have never run out of gear on the highway and often find myself cruising at 60 mph in 4th.

As most have already stated go straight to the 4.10's

Good luck and have fun
Andrew
The Black 07SGT4986 (RIP April14, 2010) to the White 07SGT4623......thanks for the grace of God no one died.

#15 OFFLINE   shelbytexan

shelbytexan

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 619 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:07 PM

I installed the 410's when my car was n/a. As has been stated before, the 373's are just to close to the stock 355's to make it worth your while. To many people are scared of the 410's because they have the mentality of the 60's and 70's when you didn't have the overdrive transmissions. The 6spds would be better but there is nothing wrong with the 5spds either. I added the 1 piece drive shaft, Brenspeed tune and shorty headers and they all together didn't add up to the 410's. This is the cheapest mod for the money and will make your car feel like you added 50 hp. I am now supercharged and the 410's are still great.If you were dragging your car then the 373's might be better on account you would probably need 5th gear in the quarter with 410's compared to 4th gear with 373's but the pulling power with 410's is outstanding. These gears should have come standard on these cars. Good-Luck.

#16 OFFLINE   Bushmaster

Bushmaster

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 686 posts
  • Joined 23-September 10

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

These gears should have come standard on these cars.

I'll bet I've said the exact same thing a hundred times over the last ten years.

Another big difference between our cars and the musclecars of the '60s and '70s is the fact that the mod motors just aren't blessed with a lot of low-end punch like the big old engines were, which really makes them perfect candidates for the gear swap. If your engine doesn't have that bottom end grunt, it will sure feel like it with a gear.

I ran 5.57s in my old '65 GTO for a couple months back in '72......now THAT was a gear, and way the hell too much of a gear, too. It would sure pull your hair out but it kept me awfully busy rowing that four-speed for the first block or two!
Posted Image

2008 Shelby Mustang GT-C
CSM#08SGT0163

#17 OFFLINE   Matts

Matts

Proud FTB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • Joined 09-December 07
  • Interests:Road racing and Auto-crossing

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

I wish I would have gone with the 4:10 gear instead of the 3:73. Anyone want to trade? :P
I.D.F.A

Current Garage

2005 V6 Mustang

#18 OFFLINE   tpow96

tpow96

A is for Apple... R is for Race

• Northeast Region
  • 361 posts
  • Joined 15-January 08
  • Region:Northeast

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

OK, another question, this one from the FR parts site regarding the M-4209ADPT-A Speed
Dial Speedometer Adjuster suggested when changing gears:

NOTE: To maintain cruise control function on 2005-2010 Mustang automatic and manual transmissions, gear change is limited to equivalent of 5% higher or lower ratio (<+/-5% change). For example, a gear change from 3.55 to 3.73 results in a gear ratio reduction of 4.8% so cruise control will continue to operate normally. A gear ratio change from 3.55 to 4.11 results in a gear ratio reduction of 13.6% so cruise control operation is lost.

Has this been true for your 4.10 applications (not sure why they state 4.11...)? I'm presuming
another mechanism is in play, like a PCM re-program rather than this part which allows an
easier interplay of ratios/tire sizes for different track applications.

-Tom

Edited by tpow96, 17 December 2011 - 04:02 PM.

SGT #4803 California Edition

Previous Mustangs:

1993 SSP ex-FHP
1988 5.0L Convertible
1979 302 ('85 drivetrain, exhaust, suspension)

#19 OFFLINE   ccsl7578

ccsl7578

Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 23-November 07
  • Interests:Mustangs, especially Shelbys and Bosses. Car shows, cruises, track events.

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:52 PM

Thanks everyone! I've been debating this also.

#20 OFFLINE   MyBlueHeaven

MyBlueHeaven

evil witha D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts
  • Joined 16-September 10

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

Thanks everyone! I've been debating this also.

+1 I was going to go with the 3:73's since i didn't think the 4:10's would suite my driving style/work comute since mine is a DD. All the coments on the 4:10's being the way to go has swayed my decision.

it''ll be 4:10's for me. Thank all who have posted, especially the ones that said they did the 3:73's and wished they did the 4:10's as well as the ones that did 3:73's and then switched to 4:10's. Your comments have saved me the time and the money of making the same mistake.

Jeff

2008 Shelby GT CSM# 08SGT1588
Mods include:

Engine:
Kenne Bell 2.6L Intercooled 9psi, Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams, Ford Racing Valve covers, BBK Ceramic Long tube Headers w/catted x pipe, BBK 62mm throttle body, John Lund racing custom tune, Moroso aluminum coolant / SC coolant, and power steering tanks, Shelby fuse box cover, Shelby brake reservior cover, Borla touring mufflers, JLT Oil Separator.

Suspension and drivetrain
Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Scott Drake Dif cover, Steeda billet lower control arms, Steeda aluminum street adjustable panhard bar, Steeda heavy duty panhard bar brace, FRPP LCA relocation brackets, Bob's axle reservoir kit; Steeda adjustable street upper control arm and mount; Steeda aluminum one piece drieshaft.  BMR tubular radiator support

Exterior/Interior:
GT500 Rear Spoiler, Staggered 18" FR500 Wheels, Shelby brake cooling bezels and ducts w/piaa lights, Silver "Pit Stripes" W/ TRT and social director stickers. matching Shelby Lower grill, Shelby gauge pod

IMAG0385
Moroso SC coolant tank
Final Dyno Run file

#21 OFFLINE   shelbytexan

shelbytexan

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 619 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

+1 I was going to go with the 3:73's since i didn't think the 4:10's would suite my driving style/work comute since mine is a DD. All the coments on the 4:10's being the way to go has swayed my decision.

it''ll be 4:10's for me. Thank all who have posted, especially the ones that said they did the 3:73's and wished they did the 4:10's as well as the ones that did 3:73's and then switched to 4:10's. Your comments have saved me the time and the money of making the same mistake.

Jeff

This is what these forums are all about. I realize these forums probably cost most of us more money than they save us in all these mods we do but i try to do what my dad use to say, 'Learn from the mistakes of others, you can't live long enough to make them all yourself'.

#22 OFFLINE   SHELBYCS6

SHELBYCS6

Team Shelby Member

• Ontario Canada Region
  • 939 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07
  • Region:Canada

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:04 AM

I had 410's in my CS6 which is auto with overdrive and it was reving out around 2600 rpm at hwy speeds and found they had quite a whine to them which I've heard from many others as well and on a long drive it is an earfull.

I installed the 355's again but you really miss the out of the hole pull the 410's give you but rpm is way down on the hwy and noise is gone.

I have 373's to go into my GT500 mostly because the 410's as previously mentioned by others makes 1st gear useless with a 6-speed and I'm afraid of repeating the noise I had in the CS6.

If you do mostly street driving / cruising of spend lots of time on the HWY I'd personally go with the 373's.

If however you track the car especially 1/4 mile I'd go with the 410's .

Edited by SHELBYCS6, 18 December 2011 - 06:05 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   Bushmaster

Bushmaster

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 686 posts
  • Joined 23-September 10

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:19 AM

they had quite a whine to them which I've heard from many others as well and on a long drive it is an earfull.

Properly installed gears should NEVER make noise. If you're hearing them, something was done wrong on the install and you'll end up with problems in the future. They need to be done by someone who knows what they're doing and will spend the time to check contact pattern and so forth to make sure they last as long and are as silent as the factory gears. It's NOT a simple remove-and-replace operation but a lot of shops seem to think that is. I see way too many guys having to deal with chewed up rear axles and gears and then blaming it on the gears, when that just isn't the case (as long as you buy a quality ring and pinion set to begin with).
Posted Image

2008 Shelby Mustang GT-C
CSM#08SGT0163

#24 OFFLINE   harristotle

harristotle

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 384 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • Region:Decline

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:33 AM

I had 410's in my CS6 which is auto with overdrive and it was reving out around 2600 rpm at hwy speeds and found they had quite a whine to them which I've heard from many others as well and on a long drive it is an earfull.

I installed the 355's again but you really miss the out of the hole pull the 410's give you but rpm is way down on the hwy and noise is gone.

I have 373's to go into my GT500 mostly because the 410's as previously mentioned by others makes 1st gear useless with a 6-speed and I'm afraid of repeating the noise I had in the CS6.

If you do mostly street driving / cruising of spend lots of time on the HWY I'd personally go with the 373's.

The RPM's at highway speed is kind of what makes me nervous about doing this. My car gets driven once or twice a week around town, but I also take it on long road trips occasionally. I really don't want to be turning at 2600, plus I'm in Az so cruising around 80 is fairly common.
07 SGT #2849

96 SVT Cobra Vert - For Sale

#25 OFFLINE   Bushmaster

Bushmaster

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 686 posts
  • Joined 23-September 10

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:56 AM

The RPM's at highway speed is kind of what makes me nervous about doing this. My car gets driven once or twice a week around town, but I also take it on long road trips occasionally. I really don't want to be turning at 2600, plus I'm in Az so cruising around 80 is fairly common.

Honestly, you'll notice it for the first five or ten minutes the first time you take it out on the interstate and after that, it will seem perfectly normal. It's not that big a difference from what it turns stock and it doesn't hurt your mileage (at least it didn't mine).

The modern overdrive trans makes gear swaps very attractive. In the musclecar days swapping to a 4.11 or 4.56 gear would net you about 3600 or more on the highway - now that was very noticeable and you never did get used to it.
Posted Image

2008 Shelby Mustang GT-C
CSM#08SGT0163

#26 OFFLINE   ARMORINE

ARMORINE

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 19-February 09

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

alright folks im only going to post this once...maybe twice lol.. if you buy FORD 4:10 gears you will have a great long lasting gear that will not whine at all if installed correctly. ive had my car over 130 with no whine, race it all the time both drag and road course(i suck at drag so dont ask for times lol) heres the thing like previously stated a properly installed set of gears will not whine ADDITIONALY if you buy ford gears and not motive you will not have problems. motives are hard to install and i have seen more then a few botched motive installs. the ford racing gears i feel are superior.

as for the other questions all you will need to install the gears other then the usual stuff is a tuner to correct the speedometer. you DO NO need a new transmission speedo gear. those are only for 04 and older mustangs.

i think i got ti al
having a 9 second ricer is like coming out of the closet, at first you surprise every one but at the end of the day your still gay
man kind has earned the right to rule this planet by occasionally producing someone totally bats#$t insane

#27 OFFLINE   Frank S

Frank S

at Play

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,455 posts
  • Joined 22-February 08
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Peace, Love, and The American Way
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

If you have a history that goes back a bit, as for some of us, you'll not flinch at a 2700 RPM cruising speed. Particularly if it was a vehicle with a relatively small-displacement engine, like 2.7 liters or less.

If you are an autocrosser, you may find yourself shifting gears too often on an "open" course if you go for 4.10 gears.

I have 3.73s in my coupe, and although I was worried about a busy engine, it turned out to be a non-issue. I like the 3.73s as a good all-around compromise. If I were tempted to go for 4.10s I'd find someone who advocates and uses them, and arrange for a week-long loan of the car. Put their gears where their mouth is, so to speak.

Frank S
North Linda Vista

San Diego CA
USA

15751623866_6503a00170_o.jpg
GT/CS x 2 · 2013 5.0 Brembo · 2014 5.0 Convertible · Unrepentant Terlinguista ... 2008 ... 2009 ... 2010 ... 2011 ... 2012 ... 2013... 2014... 2015 ...

#28 OFFLINE   FordFan1

FordFan1

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09
  • Region:Pacific Northwest
  • Interests:Open Track & performance driving
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

+1 on the comment above- 4:10's would never work for me on the road course- 3.73 for NA and 3.55's if SC
I have installed 3.73's in my past 4 mustangs with NO regrets for street, freeway or track duty.

Also if the gears are FRPP and installed properly there will be NO whine- it's all in the installation

BTW #5 will be getting some 3.73's in the spring :)

------------------------------------------

Edited by FordFan1, 18 December 2011 - 09:30 PM.

Kerry T
Pacific NW
2012 Shelby Bash, 50th Anniversary Of The Cobra and Celebration of all things Shelby -
Utube of me and my SGT making some laps at Spring Mountain with street tires, 2,970 total miles traveled that week.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ufOA9Tf3akA

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH YOUR SHELBY LATELY??
His- 2008 #08SGT0527- built 9/6/2007- purchased new 5/10/09
Wife- 2001 Roush Stage 3 Roushchargered - NO LONGER! traded in on 4/5/14 for 335i retractable roof

Just cuz- 1992 LX notch survivor with 72k miles

DSC_0252-1.jpg

#29 OFFLINE   shelbytexan

shelbytexan

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 619 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

If you have a history that goes back a bit, as for some of us, you'll not flinch at a 2700 RPM cruising speed. Particularly if it was a vehicle with a relatively small-displacement engine, like 2.7 liters or less.

If you are an autocrosser, you may find yourself shifting gears too often on an "open" course if you go for 4.10 gears.

I have 3.73s in my coupe, and although I was worried about a busy engine, it turned out to be a non-issue. I like the 3.73s as a good all-around compromise. If I were tempted to go for 4.10s I'd find someone who advocates and uses them, and arrange for a week-long loan of the car. Put their gears where their mouth is, so to speak.

If i lived close by then i would be more than happy for someone to try my 410's. Of course i an now supercharged but i had 410's when i was n/a. I think the biggest problem most of us have had with the 373's is the fact they are already so close to the 355's which are stock on these cars that you wouldn't get enough bang for your buck. If i had 373's in my car while supercharged , i think they would be great but n/a i feel the 410's are the best. There is no doubt you have made a significant change in gears when you have 410's. This car is a totally different animal with 410's. I do agree that the Ford Racing gears are great for these cars. For just 40 or 50.00 more you can have the best. Just remember, the labor is the same on any car whether you use good parts or not. There is an old saying, don't have time to do it right but time to do it over.

#30 OFFLINE   SHELBYCS6

SHELBYCS6

Team Shelby Member

• Ontario Canada Region
  • 939 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07
  • Region:Canada

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:09 AM

I did have Ford Racing gears and they were installed by a local SVT dealer.

There wasn't any noise except at hwy speeds but that was enough....at the time (several years ago) there seemed to be several posted complaints on this site and other sites of noise from these 410 gear sets and I just don't remember what the root cause was but it was an accepted condition .

If others have them installed now and there is no audible difference from factory gears that is great news as it was one of the reasons for me installing the 373's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users