#1 OFFLINE   1BAD500

1BAD500

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 10-June 07

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

35 years ago when I was 15 years old I bought a very rough 1965 Mustang Covertible for $430.00. It was my first car. I spent the next 2 years of my life and every penny that I could scratch together to retore that old car. I got it looking pretty good and even took a couple of trophys at local shows.
When I went off to school I needed some money, so I sold the car to my Dad. It broke my heart but I needed the cash.
My Dad, who is not a car guy, kept that car for all of these years, under a cover in his garage just covered with boxes!
I had asked him many times to sell it back to me and it just never happened.
Since then I have owned many other Mustangs, and currently have a 40th Anniversary Shelby GT500, but had always hoped that someday I could get back my 65...
Well a couple of months ago I finally caught him in a weak moment and purchased the car back from him! I immediatly called Reliable Car Carriers to have it shipped from Ohio to my home in Arizona before he could change his mind.
I love the fact that I have my old car sitting in my garage next to my Shelby! The 65 needs to be gone through again but it still looks good, and runs well.
I plan on restoring it to a very good driver, and have even been considering painting it to match the Shelby.
My kids who are aged 15-24 just get the biggest kick out of seeing that old car and can't believe that it was my very first car!
I had a lot of great memories with that car and I am sure that it will give me many more.

#2 OFFLINE   Wayne1948

Wayne1948

Team Shelby New Member

• Northeast Region
  • 415 posts
  • Joined 20-September 11
  • Region:Northeast
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Congratulations ans it is a great family story. Now - photos please. Enjoy

#3 OFFLINE   Helix

Helix

Lincoln Cobra

• Great Lakes Region
  • 765 posts
  • Joined 27-July 11
  • Region:Great Lakes

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Very nice; I agree though, photos. ;)

rbbbj6.jpgzuscip.jpg

2003 Mustang
1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC

#4 OFFLINE   1BAD500

1BAD500

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 10-June 07

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

I've never posted photos before, so if you could let me know how to do it, I 'll give it a try.

#5 OFFLINE   2010KonaBlueGT

2010KonaBlueGT

There's room at the top. Space is limited...RSVP!

• Mountain Region
  • 7,000 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Anything Fast - Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Planes, Women, etc. Building Hi-Po engines. Sailing, Riding Motorcycles (dirt & street), Racing - Motorcycles & Cars, Bowling & Drinking Beer!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

35 years ago when I was 15 years old I bought a very rough 1965 Mustang Covertible for $430.00. It was my first car. I spent the next 2 years of my life and every penny that I could scratch together to retore that old car. I got it looking pretty good and even took a couple of trophys at local shows.
When I went off to school I needed some money, so I sold the car to my Dad. It broke my heart but I needed the cash.
My Dad, who is not a car guy, kept that car for all of these years, under a cover in his garage just covered with boxes!
I had asked him many times to sell it back to me and it just never happened.
Since then I have owned many other Mustangs, and currently have a 40th Anniversary Shelby GT500, but had always hoped that someday I could get back my 65...
Well a couple of months ago I finally caught him in a weak moment and purchased the car back from him! I immediatly called Reliable Car Carriers to have it shipped from Ohio to my home in Arizona before he could change his mind.
I love the fact that I have my old car sitting in my garage next to my Shelby! The 65 needs to be gone through again but it still looks good, and runs well.
I plan on restoring it to a very good driver, and have even been considering painting it to match the Shelby.
My kids who are aged 15-24 just get the biggest kick out of seeing that old car and can't believe that it was my very first car!
I had a lot of great memories with that car and I am sure that it will give me many more.

That's a great story. You might want to consider sending it to one of the Ford Mags.

Phill
2010 GT500 Coupe
Kona Blue w/White OTT Stripes and Red Accent Stripes
Electronics Package, HID's & Car Cover

CURRENT MODS: FRPP: Whipple 2.9L Polished Superchager w/Crusher Inlet & Cobra Jet dual 65mm Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers - Ford Blue Cam Covers - Polished Billet COP & Oil filler Cap Covers - FR3 Handling Pack w/Tokico Struts/Shocks & Eibach Swaybars - Jounce Bumpers - 8.8" Low Profile Axle Girdle - 3" Front Brake Cooling Ducts - Vacuum/Boost Gauge~ MGW: Short Throw Shifter - White w/Blue Stripes Shifter Knob - Radiator and Intercooler Degas Bottle Caps - Seat Recliner Lever Covers - Parking Brake Handle Cover - Coat Hanger Hooks~ PST: 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft~ Revan Racing: C&R Radiator and Intercooler~ ROUSH: 3x Intercooler Degas Bottle - Side Splitters - Extreme Off-road Exhaust - Adjustable Trailing Arms (LCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link (UCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link Bracket - AC Vent Pod Vac/Boost Gauge Mount~ SHELBY: SC Aux. Idler Pulley - Oil Dipstick Handle, MC, PS & WS Washer Reservoir Caps - 8-qt. Oil Pan - Subframe K-member - Tubular Front A-arms - 6S Extreme Front Brakes - KR Style Front Brake Duct Bezels - Anti Bump-stear Tie-rod Ends - Race Style Swaybar Links - Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates - Adjustable Panhard Bar - Panhard Bar/Body Brace - KR Rear Axle Reservoir - Eradispeed Rear Brake Rotors & Caliper Relocation Brackets - Shelby/BMR Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets -18" GT500KR Alcoa Dura-Bright Wheels & Goodyear KR Winged Boot F1 Supercar tires~

PURCHASED AND AWAITING INSTALLATION: Shelby/Baer Extreme Rear Brakes; Shelby/Metco Fuel Rails, Shelby Alcoa 20" Dura-Bright Super Snake style wheels; NMB2 2-Stage WOT Box, Granatelli Motors Tire Fryer Line-lock, Raptor shift light, ZEX N2O kit, Ford Racing Lighted Sill Plates w/Ford Racing logo.

#6 OFFLINE   Slabo

Slabo

Team Shelby Member

• Pacific Northwest Region
  • 1,923 posts
  • Joined 08-August 08
  • Region:Pacific Northwest
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Great story! So you bought that 40th after all.
Proud member of Team 40th - 07XL0381

2007 GT500 Vert purchased 8/12/08, #828 of 859 Ebony, Nav, Sirius, assembled on 6/11/07
Reborn 9/14/09 at SAI Vegas - 40th Anniv. package w/ Interior Upgrade, 605HP TVS, 3.73's, Shelby Shifter, Cooling Package and Extreme Brakes.
Many additional mods.

Posted Image Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   1BAD500

1BAD500

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 10-June 07

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

Actually I have an early 40th, it is #041, and I have owned it since new. Love it!

#8 OFFLINE   JeffIsHereToo

JeffIsHereToo

Jeff

• 8,033 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

How awesome is that!

I was just saying I was going to buy back "Stripes" one day...you give me hope! :-)

Have fun!
2013 Boss 302 (Grabber Blue) #2
2007 Shelby GT (White) #2621
2005 Mustang GT (Mineral Gray)
1989 Mustang GT (White)
1984 Mustang GT (Red)
1979 Mustang Cobra (Jade Green

Team Shelby State Director for AR

#9 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,047 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08
  • Region:South Atlantic

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

I bought and restored my 1966 Mustang Convertible while in college and used it as an everyday driver until I purchased a new 1989 LX 5.0 upon graduation from College. It has only been out and about for pleasure use after I purchase the 1989 LX.

In January 2008, I sold the 1966 to get my 08 SGT Convertible. My Dad could not believe after owning it for 22 years that I was going to sell it, but I could not afford 2 toy cars and did not have the space where my wife could still park her vehicle in the garage too. When Dad saw that I was seriously going to sell it (was in the process of placing the ad), he quickly stepped up and bought it from me saying it was too good of a car to let get out of the family...so I knocked off $5,000 and sold it to him! To me, it was worth $5k less to keep it in the family.

The reason I tell you this is now fast forward to this past Easter weekend. All of the grandkids were over with us at Mom and Dad's house for Easter dinner...all 17 grandkids! The older ones in the range of 14 to 17 yrs old are all boys, and have been drooling over that car for a while, but Dad never gets it out and drives it...infact, I have to tell him to do so to keep it in good shape. Patrick, the oldest of the boys had been asking to have my Dad get the car out and take him for a ride for most of the day, but there were several cars blocking the garage and driveway, and Dad was really not in the mood to start the "circus rides" since he was busy helping with the cooking...about 16 out of the 17 would want a ride if it did come out.

Patrick came and got me and asked if we could atleast take the cover off, and I agreed. Two minutes later...he uttered those words "Uncle Andy, can you take us for a ride? Do you know how to drive this one" (Is he a natural born salesman or what?). I simply said "If you can get all those other cars moved, then I'll take you for a ride." Needless to say, he had all the adults moving cars in no time!

I fired her up and that was all it took - mufflers only (no resonators on the old 289) because in no time we had most of the grandkids surrounding the car...all the boys could say was "Nice!!!!!!!" turning a one sylable word into about six. I pulled it out of the garage, and load after load, took everyone for a ride in the neighborhood.

On the last round, Mom had asked me to run up to the local grocery store and grab some desert plates before they closed. I took one last repeat load of a few select kids....my son and then Patrick - along with me. After running back out from the store with what we needed, I pulled away and into the entrance to my parents subdivision, then pulled off to the side. I looked at Patrick and said "Think you can take us home?" as I hopped out of the drivers seat...I don't think I've seen a kid smile that big in quite a while. He eased us on home, and pulled up in the driveway where most of the kids were still milling about. He became an instant hero with all the other boys as he got out of the car.

Simply made my night to know that my old car can still entertain boys/kids (and men) of all ages. Once they figured out that I was the owner of the car who did all the work on it over the last 22 years, they asked questions for about the next hour starting that illness that we all have called "Mustang-itus"...I warned them that the only cure is to buy a Shelby!

Andy.

Edited by AndyGJ, 09 December 2012 - 04:29 PM.

Present Mustang:
2008 Shelby GT Convertible #1676

Mods Installed:
BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 Tires (275/40/R18 Front & Rear)
CDC Sequential Tail Lights
FRPP GT500KR Axleback Mufflers
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body
FRPP Boss 302 Low Expansion Brakelines
Hawk HPS Brake Pads (front & rear)
JBA Tuned Length Ceramic Shorty Headers
LD's Performance Custom Tuning (91 & 93 Octane) w/SCT-X3 Tuner
Redline Hood Struts (w/update kit)
Royal Purple Synthetic Oil 5w20

Royal Purple Differential Gear Lub

Royal Purple Manual Transmission Fluid
Shelby Lower Radiator Grill Insert - Black
Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers
Shelby GT Berg Snake Faux Gas Cap
Shelby GT Berg Snake Front Floor Mats & Trunk Mat
Shelby Plain Rear Seat Floor Mats
Shelby Billet Engine Cap Set
Shelby Billet Fusebox Cover
Shelby Transmission Cooler Scoop
Shelby Front Brake Duct Cooling Kit

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link
Performance Brake Slotted & Cross Drilled Rotors (front & rear)
Ford Motorcraft DOT4 Brake Fluid
Steeda CAI Intake Elbow w/Black Tube
Steeda Motor Mounts (red inserts)
Steeda Under Drive Pulley

Prior Mustangs:

1968 Mustang Coupe - Midnight Blue
1966 Mustang Convertible 289v2 - Red w/black top & interior (still in the family)
1973 Mustang Convertible 351W - Poppy Red w/black top & interior - MCA Senior Division Grand National Retired Winner
1989 Mustang Hatchback 5.0 w/5spd - 25th Anniversary - Red w/red & black interior

#10 OFFLINE   Wayne1948

Wayne1948

Team Shelby New Member

• Northeast Region
  • 415 posts
  • Joined 20-September 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:43 AM

Great story Andy. Great to see that young kids are still interested in old iron.

#11 OFFLINE   1BAD500

1BAD500

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 10-June 07

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Truly a great story. I suppose that is why I wanted mine back so much. There is a lot of history with that old car, and it is fun to have it back now. I am at a different age (50) now and I appreciate the car in so many different ways than I did when I was 15. I get so much enjoyment out of peoples reaction to the car and the story behind it.
If someone could explain to me how to post some pics, I would be happy to do so.

#12 OFFLINE   19again

19again

Team Shelby Illinois Director

• Team Shelby State Director
  • 505 posts
  • Joined 14-June 09
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Interests:Of course Mustangs,a 65 and 06 in two different garages! F1 and the Autobahn in the Chicago area.
    MCA 20457
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

Truly a great story. I suppose that is why I wanted mine back so much. There is a lot of history with that old car, and it is fun to have it back now. I am at a different age (50) now and I appreciate the car in so many different ways than I did when I was 15. I get so much enjoyment out of peoples reaction to the car and the story behind it.
If someone could explain to me how to post some pics, I would be happy to do so.

If you look in Team Shelby "General Automotive Discussion" then scroll down to a Pinned Topic you will see "how to host your post photos with photobucket". this should get your pictures posted to go with that wonderful story.

Good luck and keep us posted.
06H352 {Tampa Hertz}

Team Shelby Illinois Director

Hertz put me in the drivers seat

#13 OFFLINE   1BAD500

1BAD500

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 10-June 07

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the reply. I tried to post the other day without success, I'll give it another try.

#14 OFFLINE   1BAD500

1BAD500

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 10-June 07

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

Here are the pics of my 65 and my 40th.Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   Wayne1948

Wayne1948

Team Shelby New Member

• Northeast Region
  • 415 posts
  • Joined 20-September 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

Both are very nice. Looks like your Dad took good care of the 65. Enjoy and thanks for posting the photos.

#16 OFFLINE   Morgansandphillips

Morgansandphillips

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 19-February 11
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

Nice, its always cool to hear stories like this.
Mike
www.morgansandphillips.com
Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   - Aj -

- Aj -

500HP LOL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined 02-March 11

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Nice! Makes me want my dad's 66 convertible currently in my brothers posession.

aNF4ivd.jpg
~JLT 123mm CF CAI~VMP 2.59 Pulley/90mm Idler~
~L&M 66m Throttle Body~Ported Stock Eaton Elbow~
~Dynatech Headers~Borla Touring Axleback~Shelby Heat Exchanger~
~FRPP Shifter~Shelby Handling Kit~Eibach Pro Kit~
~BMR Rear Lower Control Arms/Reloc Brackets~BMR Panhard Bar & Brace~
~SVTT 19"/20" Wheels~
Nitto NT555R 315/35/20~
~2010+ Updated Trans~Shelby Hood Lift Kit~Shelby Supersnake Hood~

Pics

#18 OFFLINE   H0050

H0050

H0050

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 4,377 posts
  • Joined 28-September 07
  • Interests:Cars, wakeboarding, fishing & family
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Great story, looks good as it sits.
Harald #50

CSM 06H0050: Registered as a Shelby GT-H/SC
Black CS 69 w/ 255/45/18 & 285/40/18 BFG G-Force KDW
Lower Billet Grill
Air Bag Signed by Carroll Shelby, Amy Boylan, Gary Davis, Gary Patterson & Cleo Shelby
40th Anniversary Signature Floor Mats w/ Gold Stripes
Shelby GT Plus & Eradispeed 14" brakes & S/S brake lines
Sequential Tail lights
GTH Billet Fluid Caps
SAI installed polished Paxton SC # 0066 w/ GT 500 fuel pump
GT-H/SC side stripes
Shelby gauges & gauge pod
424RWHP 367 Torque
KR rear end expansion tank
2009 Shelby Bash top 20 winner
2011 Bash In & Out cruise recognition plaque
Painted over the top stripes
Terlingua Deep Draw Hood

The race is run, the flag unfurled, the champion now will rest.
God speed, Carroll Shelby, we will never forget you.
CARROLL H SHELBY

Jan. 11, 1923 May 10, 2012

http://i414.photobuc...8/06h50/030.jpg
http://i414.photobuc...8/06h50/035.jpg
http://i414.photobuc...8/06h50/037.jpg

#19 OFFLINE   Wayne in NJ

Wayne in NJ

Team Shelby Member

• Northeast Region
  • 678 posts
  • Joined 03-September 12
  • Interests:Banjo, fishing
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Resembles mine...without a roof! ;^) Beauty!

canada12_zps925e5371.jpg

'The Black Racer': Menegon Head, Shadow 3" SV, 3" FWDP exhaust, Spearco T1 Log Intercooler, Shelby 525 LSD

#20 OFFLINE   mikeljgt500kr

mikeljgt500kr

Team Shelby Member

• Mountain Region
  • 847 posts
  • Joined 16-September 12
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Shelbys and Corvettes
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Excellent story, and congrats on getting the old car back, usually they are lost forever. My daughter always wanted my '64 1/2 'vert, so she finally got it last year, restored and painted to her liking, picture attached. Keep your kids involved, they will want yours soon... :happy feet:

Attached Files

Sheryl,  2013 GT350 #68

#21 OFFLINE   old school

old school

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 364 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Very Cool ! Glad you got it back in the fold!! I was lucky enough to hold onto the first car I bought in 78'.

Chris

#22 OFFLINE   Fat Boss

Fat Boss

Team Shelby New Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 364 posts
  • Joined 30-July 11
  • Interests:Fords n Football

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

Great stories! My dad restored and sold the all black '24 T in this pic before I was born in '71. He used the money to buy the '10 T next to it from another car guy named Bill Harrah! Fast forward 35 years and dad bought the '24 back. I even met all three owners in between my dad on a Model T Club tour a couple of years ago! Gotta love the positive caster on the T's... :hysterical3:

Posted Image
2014 Sterling Gray Fusion Energi Titanium - Plug In Hybrid
2012 Race Red Boss 302 # 3041 Better, stronger, faster.
1999 Crew Cab 444 CI Turbo Diesel 6-Speed Manual 4x4
1964 Falcon Convertible 289/Toploader/9"/Disks

#23 OFFLINE   ingram4868

ingram4868

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Mountain Region
  • 6,358 posts
  • Joined 05-September 05
  • Interests:Love of God, Family and Great Cars

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

Your father is a really good man. He obviously was not keeping the car for himself but keeping it for when the time was right to pass it along.
David Ingram
Sparks, NV.
Newest addition 1100 mile 2007 GT500

#24 OFFLINE   1BAD500

1BAD500

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 10-June 07

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Yes he is a good man and I appreciated him keeping the car all of these years. I hope to pass it and my 40th Anniversary Gt500 to my own kids some day. Problem is I have 5 kids so I'm not sure how that is going to work out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users