Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 460 posts
  • Joined 07-April 12
  • Region:Great Lakes
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

Have a 2013 GT500 on the way. Going with the clear urethane material for front end paint protection. With the open grille would like to do something to keep the bugs and crap out of the radiator. Any ideas or products here?

Thanks!

#2 OFFLINE   TrakRat

TrakRat

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 29-December 10
  • Region:Pacific Northwest

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Went to Home Depot and bought a do-it-yourself screen kit and put it in front of the radiator of my F350 and in front of my Fiancee's Afco Heat exchanger. Here's a pic....
Posted Image
'11 SVTPP Griggs VMP TVS GT500, '67 Coupe, '00 Explorer Limited, '96 Griggs Cobra *sold*
VADRshoot1-1.jpg

#3 OFFLINE   2010KonaBlueGT

2010KonaBlueGT

There's room at the top. Space is limited...RSVP!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,404 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Anything Fast - Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Planes, Women, etc. Building Hi-Po engines. Sailing, Riding Motorcycles (dirt & street), Racing - Motorcycles & Cars, Bowling & Drinking Beer!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Have a 2013 GT500 on the way. Going with the clear urethane material for front end paint protection. With the open grille would like to do something to keep the bugs and crap out of the radiator. Any ideas or products here?

Think about how much 'protection' the egg-crate grille on a 2011 & earlier GT500 affords and then ask yourself if you really need 'protection' for your radiator.

About the only thing the current grille protects you from is a bird strike. Rocks, bugs, road debris all get past the egg-crate grille so why does everyone think they need added protection on the 2013's? (this subject was hashed over early on in the '13 release).

JMHO,
Phill

2010 GT500 Coupe
Kona Blue w/White OTT Stripes and Red Accent Stripes
Electronics Package, HID's & Car Cover

CURRENT MODS: FRPP: Whipple 2.9L Polished Superchager w/Crusher Inlet & Cobra Jet Dual 65mm Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers - Ford GT Blue Cam Covers - Polished Billet COP & Oil Filler Cap Covers - FR3 Handling Pack w/Tokico Struts/Shocks & Eibach Swaybars - Jounce Bumpers - 8.8" Low Profile Axle Girdle - 3" Front Brake Cooling Ducts - Vacuum/Boost Gauge~ MGW: Short Throw Shifter - White w/Blue Stripes Shifter Knob - Radiator and Intercooler Degas Bottle Caps - Seat Recliner Lever Covers - Parking Brake Handle Cover - Coat Hanger Hooks~ PST: 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft~ Revan Racing: C&R Radiator and Intercooler~ ROUSH: 3x Intercooler Degas Bottle - Side Splitters - Extreme Off-road Exhaust - Adjustable Trailing Arms (LCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link (UCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link Bracket - AC Vent Pod Vac/Boost Gauge Mount~ SHELBY: SC Aux. Idler Pulley - Oil Dipstick Handle, MC, PS & WS Washer Reservoir Caps - 8-qt. Oil Pan - Tubular K-Member Subframe - Tubular A-arms - CS S1000 Billet Aluminum Transmission Crossmember - Seat Harness Bar - 6S Extreme Rear Brakes - 6S Extreme Front Brakes - GT500KR Front Brake Cooling Duct Bezels - Anti Bump-stear Tie-rod Ends - Race Style Swaybar Links - Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates - Adjustable Panhard Bar - Panhard Bar/Body Brace - GT500KR Rear Axle Reservoir - Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets -18" GT500KR Alcoa Dura-Bright Wheels & Goodyear GT500KR Winged Boot F1 Supercar Tires~ Raptor Shift Light

PURCHASED AND AWAITING INSTALLATION: Shelby/Metco Fuel Rails - Shelby Alcoa Forged 20" Dura-Bright Super Snake Style Wheels - Shelby Billet Aluminum Fuel Door - NMB2 2-Stage WOT Box - Granatelli Motors Tire Fryer Line-lock - ZEX N2O kit - Ford Racing Lighted Sill Plates w/Ford Racing logo.

Soon to be "For Sale": Eradispeed Rear Brake Rotors & Caliper Relocation Brackets

#4 OFFLINE   TrakRat

TrakRat

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 370 posts
  • Joined 29-December 10
  • Region:Pacific Northwest

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

Think about how much 'protection' the egg-crate grille on a 2011 & earlier GT500 affords and then ask yourself if you really need 'protection' for your radiator.

Short answer: Yes.

Unless you like your H/E to look like this...

Posted Image

Edited by TrakRat, 22 April 2012 - 12:07 AM.

'11 SVTPP Griggs VMP TVS GT500, '67 Coupe, '00 Explorer Limited, '96 Griggs Cobra *sold*
VADRshoot1-1.jpg

#5 OFFLINE   springer

springer

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Sounds like an aftermarket grill for the 2013 would be a great accessory for Shelby American to look into. They look pretty lame without a grill.
If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play!
Shelby Baer Extreme brakes, CS 69 wheels
Shelby installed Revan heat exchanger
Shelby installed Diablo Predator tune

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   jeredh

jeredh

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11
  • Region:Mississippi Valley

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

the lack of grill looks really tough, but this opening begs for an unknown object to penetrate the intercooler and radiator. just when you expect the unexpected, a pebble the size of a whopper penetrates that delicate aluminum. make no mistake, i think the no-grill look is bad ass, but statistically it's an accident waiting to happen
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Radical08

Radical08

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 401 posts
  • Joined 19-December 07
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:Fast cars

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

I honestly don't know what to put in there that would look good and it won't be from Lowes or Home Depot if it were mine. I'm not bashing the 2013 but I personally don't like that open squared off area and sooner or later a decent size object will ram in there and do damage requiring the front end to come off to get at it and repair/replace it. I can't believe there is that much added cooling leaving it wide open and if they were so worried about cooling they should have used a bigger H/E and added dual fans like Afco did (I have the Afco on my 2010) and no heat issues. Also all of that would have been hidden behind the grill like the 2010-2012 are.

On my 2008 S/C Shelby GT the lower area was open too and some vendor came out with a grill that fit right in and cured the potential issue with no loss in any performance or cooling. Neither car do I plan on being at the salt flats doing 200 in so I think I'm good. I'm also in balmy hot ass Florida and no issues here with either car and they don't have a wide open bass mouth waiting for something to enter.

2010 GT500 just over 700HP and 595 at the wheels
2008 Shelby GT right at 600HP and 490 at the wheels

#8 OFFLINE   MJN

MJN

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 691 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

I like the look of the open grill but what bothers me more is the bugs in the fins. I would just like to have like a ridgid screen insert or even something to velcro in.

12 GT500 Blk Stripe DeleteBorla Cat back, JLT carbon fiber intake and splash guards, 3M Clear Bra, Kenny Brown Matrix Brace, KB custom coil overs and rear suspension set up, AFCO Pro H/E, MGW Shifter, Shelby Oil Separator

AMSOIL Dealer

#9 OFFLINE   Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

I wonder what Nascar uses to protect their radiators?

Nascar Armor

2013 GT500 Coupe - HPW with Black Stripes - SVT PP - SVT TP - Redline Hood Struts - Yeager Bros Front Gravel Guards - Bob's Oil Separator -AirAid Blue Non-Oiled Air Filter - CarboTech 1521 Ceramic Brake Pads - Resonator Eliminator Kit - WeatherTech Floor Mats - Craig’s No Drill License Plate Bracket
Car Ordered 5-27-2012 - Build Date 1-14-2013 - Delivered 1-26-2013

#10 OFFLINE   WJinLV

WJinLV

WJ in Vegas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Joined 15-June 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Check this out. Custom diamond grille inserts. You can get them powder coated flat black. With the right skill, Im sure you could fit one behind the grille opening on the 2013 GT500 so it protects the radiator and doesnt stand out.

http://www.customcargrills.com/
2013 Shelby GT500. Performance White Sonic Blue Stripes. Airaid SynthaMax filter. JLT dual oil separators. FRPP resonator delete. Redline hood struts. Michelin PSS, 275/40/19, 285/35/20. Smoked markers. Shelby shifter. Jaeger brothers stone guards. GT350 style rear window covers. Lloyd's mats.

#11 OFFLINE   WJinLV

WJinLV

WJ in Vegas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Joined 15-June 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Here is a pic, comes in silver or black. Square or diamond shape.

Raw Material: Stainless Steel Wire Thickness: 0.040" / 18 Gauge Wire Spacing: 1/4" Apart Open Area: ~ 70%

Attached Files

Edited by WJinLV, 20 August 2012 - 02:28 PM.

2013 Shelby GT500. Performance White Sonic Blue Stripes. Airaid SynthaMax filter. JLT dual oil separators. FRPP resonator delete. Redline hood struts. Michelin PSS, 275/40/19, 285/35/20. Smoked markers. Shelby shifter. Jaeger brothers stone guards. GT350 style rear window covers. Lloyd's mats.

#12 OFFLINE   rocky

rocky

Team Shelby New Member

• Northeast Region
  • 372 posts
  • Joined 21-November 11
  • Region:Northeast

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

About the only thing the current grille protects you from is a bird strike. Rocks, bugs, road debris all get past the egg-crate grille so why does everyone think they need added protection on the 2013's? (this subject was hashed over early on in the '13 release).

JMHO,
Phill

I am always cleaning bugs from my 2012 grill but most don't get past the grill so it seems to be doing it's job.

#13 OFFLINE   svt13

svt13

Team Shelby Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • Joined 24-April 12

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

People apparently shelby has found your answer in there newest super snake. Here take a look. http://mustangsdaily...e-prototype.jpg you have to look very closely at the upper grill to see the screen.
2013 shelby gt500 black w/black stripe SVTPP,Recaros,Electronics Package,Glass roof,car cover.

Mods:
35% window tint

nav-tv rear view camera
Red line hood struts
Front splitter curb alert system
Super snake carbon fiber splitter
APR Performance carbon fiber mirror assembly
JLT CF resonator delete w/blue airaid Filter
Shelby transmission cooler scoope
BMR UCA with Mount, BMR adjustable panhard bar
Bob's billet LCA and bob's oil separator
FRPP springs
HRE p40 w/Michelin Super sport tires

Future mods going on the car soon: Shelby floor and trunk mat, custom made EPCO shifter knob

Mods undecided about:
Boss x brace, MGW shifter, Boss side exhaust, Corsa black diamond axleback, Lithium battery

#14 OFFLINE   svt13

svt13

Team Shelby Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • Joined 24-April 12

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

I honestly don't know what to put in there that would look good and it won't be from Lowes or Home Depot if it were mine. I'm not bashing the 2013 but I personally don't like that open squared off area and sooner or later a decent size object will ram in there and do damage requiring the front end to come off to get at it and repair/replace it. I can't believe there is that much added cooling leaving it wide open and if they were so worried about cooling they should have used a bigger H/E and added dual fans like Afco did (I have the Afco on my 2010) and no heat issues. Also all of that would have been hidden behind the grill like the 2010-2012 are.

On my 2008 S/C Shelby GT the lower area was open too and some vendor came out with a grill that fit right in and cured the potential issue with no loss in any performance or cooling. Neither car do I plan on being at the salt flats doing 200 in so I think I'm good. I'm also in balmy hot ass Florida and no issues here with either car and they don't have a wide open bass mouth waiting for something to enter.

2010 GT500 just over 700HP and 595 at the wheels
2008 Shelby GT right at 600HP and 490 at the wheels

They put a huge H/E on the 13 for cooling. Probably no aftermarket one can match its size for a while. Their downfall was as you said no putting dual fans which is baffling to me. Because then they could have kept it open. But its also open for aerodynamics. I don't know how much better aero it gets from an open grill rather than the honeycomb style but they thought it was justified. My opinion still is they ran out of money or ideas or got lazy towards the end and found this to be a easy fix to cooling and aerodynamics. Adding a H/E with dual fans would have cost more $$$. This is like a budget super car so they try to pinch pennies where they can. So how do they solve the aero/coolingproblem? Just pull out the grill problem solved :).
2013 shelby gt500 black w/black stripe SVTPP,Recaros,Electronics Package,Glass roof,car cover.

Mods:
35% window tint

nav-tv rear view camera
Red line hood struts
FRPP springs

Future mods going on the car soon: Shelby floor and trunk mat, custom made EPCO shifter knob

Mods undecided about:
Boss x brace, MGW shifter, Boss side exhaust, Corsa black diamond axleback, Lithium battery

#15 OFFLINE   WJinLV

WJinLV

WJ in Vegas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Joined 15-June 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

People apparently shelby has found your answer in there newest super snake. Here take a look. http://mustangsdaily...e-prototype.jpg you have to look very closely at the upper grill to see the screen.

Thats it! now one for the bottom too. Wonder when they will make it to market?

#16 OFFLINE   svt13

svt13

Team Shelby Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • Joined 24-April 12

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

Thats it! now one for the bottom too. Wonder when they will make it to market?

Doubt they will

Mods:
35% window tint

nav-tv rear view camera
Red line hood struts
FRPP springs

Mods undecided about:

#17 OFFLINE   Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Snoopy49, 21 August 2012 - 11:55 AM.

2013 GT500 Coupe - HPW with Black Stripes - SVT PP - SVT TP - Redline Hood Struts - Yeager Bros Front Gravel Guards - Bob's Oil Separator -AirAid Blue Non-Oiled Air Filter - CarboTech 1521 Ceramic Brake Pads - Resonator Eliminator Kit - WeatherTech Floor Mats - Craig’s No Drill License Plate Bracket
Car Ordered 5-27-2012 - Build Date 1-14-2013 - Delivered 1-26-2013

#18 OFFLINE   svt13

svt13

Team Shelby Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • Joined 24-April 12

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

I actually questioned the need for this but when I was at my car just now taking a look in my radiator not my H/E 2 fins have been bent by a rock or something that hit it after just 2000 miles. My H/E is fine for now. But after seeing that in my radiator I would definitely want this. (stupid ford for not offering this)

Edited by svt13, 21 August 2012 - 10:39 AM.

Mods:
35% window tint

nav-tv rear view camera
Red line hood struts
FRPP springs

Mods undecided about:

#19 OFFLINE   2010KonaBlueGT

2010KonaBlueGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,404 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09
  • Interests:Anything Fast - Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Planes, Women, etc. Building Hi-Po engines. Sailing, Riding Motorcycles (dirt & street), Racing - Motorcycles & Cars, Bowling & Drinking Beer!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

I actually questioned the need for this but when I was at my car just now taking a look in my radiator not my H/E 2 fins have been bent by a rock or something that hit it after just 2000 miles. My H/E is fine for now. But after seeing that in my radiator I would definitely want this. (stupid ford for not offering this)

I have the full Ford factory egg crate grilles. Both my radiator and IC heat exchanger have bent fins. And way more than 2 bent fins.

Phill

2010 GT500 Coupe

CURRENT MODS: FRPP: Whipple 2.9L Polished Superchager w/Crusher Inlet & Cobra Jet Dual 65mm Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers - Ford GT Blue Cam Covers - Polished Billet COP & Oil Filler Cap Covers - FR3 Handling Pack w/Tokico Struts/Shocks & Eibach Swaybars - Jounce Bumpers - 8.8" Low Profile Axle Girdle - 3" Front Brake Cooling Ducts - Vacuum/Boost Gauge~ MGW: Short Throw Shifter - White w/Blue Stripes Shifter Knob - Radiator and Intercooler Degas Bottle Caps - Seat Recliner Lever Covers - Parking Brake Handle Cover - Coat Hanger Hooks~ PST: 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft~ Revan Racing: C&R Radiator and Intercooler~ ROUSH: 3x Intercooler Degas Bottle - Side Splitters - Extreme Off-road Exhaust - Adjustable Trailing Arms (LCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link (UCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link Bracket - AC Vent Pod Vac/Boost Gauge Mount~ SHELBY: SC Aux. Idler Pulley - Oil Dipstick Handle, MC, PS & WS Washer Reservoir Caps - 8-qt. Oil Pan - Tubular K-Member Subframe - Tubular A-arms - CS S1000 Billet Aluminum Transmission Crossmember - Seat Harness Bar - 6S Extreme Rear Brakes - 6S Extreme Front Brakes - GT500KR Front Brake Cooling Duct Bezels - Anti Bump-stear Tie-rod Ends - Race Style Swaybar Links - Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates - Adjustable Panhard Bar - Panhard Bar/Body Brace - GT500KR Rear Axle Reservoir - Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets -18" GT500KR Alcoa Dura-Bright Wheels & Goodyear GT500KR Winged Boot F1 Supercar Tires~ Raptor Shift Light

PURCHASED AND AWAITING INSTALLATION: Shelby/Metco Fuel Rails - Shelby Alcoa Forged 20" Dura-Bright Super Snake Style Wheels - Shelby Billet Aluminum Fuel Door - NMB2 2-Stage WOT Box - Granatelli Motors Tire Fryer Line-lock - ZEX N2O kit - Ford Racing Lighted Sill Plates w/Ford Racing logo.

Soon to be "For Sale": Eradispeed Rear Brake Rotors & Caliper Relocation Brackets

#20 OFFLINE   patrickshelby

patrickshelby

Team Shelby Member

• World-Wide Region
  • 944 posts
  • Joined 20-October 08
  • Region:European Union

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

I have the full Ford factory egg crate grilles. Both my radiator and IC heat exchanger have bent fins. And way more than 2 bent fins.
Phill

SEE! You should have had a screen! :hysterical:

#21 OFFLINE   WJinLV

WJinLV

WJ in Vegas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Joined 15-June 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

I spoke with a rep at SA today, they said they are still testing the grille insert to make sure there is enough airflow to the radiator.

It will be part of the super snake package and may be available for individual sale after.

They have no plans on making a lower grille insert to protect the heat exchanger, but he did recommend the Shelby exchanger with the dual fans instead of the stock one.

#22 OFFLINE   MJN

MJN

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 691 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

I really hope this works and they decide to offfer it, then for sure be a 13 grill in my future

12 GT500 Blk Stripe DeleteBorla Cat back, JLT carbon fiber intake and splash guards, 3M Clear Bra, Kenny Brown Matrix Brace, KB custom coil overs and rear suspension set up, AFCO Pro H/E, MGW Shifter, Shelby Oil Separator

AMSOIL Dealer

#23 OFFLINE   NMAv

NMAv

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • Joined 10-January 11
  • Interests:hockey, family, weight lifting, cars

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

Sounds like an aftermarket grill for the 2013 would be a great accessory for Shelby American to look into. They look pretty lame without a grill.

Funny because some of us 2010 - 2012 guys are buying the 2013 grille because we like the look.

~ NMAv

2011 highly modified Shelby GT500 with SVTPP (Kona Blue)

#24 OFFLINE   jnf

jnf

Team Shelby Member

• Mountain Region
  • 1,001 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

If you look at the GT350, the radiator is protected, but the H/E is open.
But, I am sure that some debris will still get through the grills that SA is offering.
Jim

07 GT 500 Coupe
White w/ Vista Blue stripes
SLP Loud mouth exhaust
Ford Racing Short Throw with Shelby Ball
Custom CS 69 Special Edition 20" wheels
BMR Upper and lower control arms and brackets
BMR panhard bar, brace and relocation bracket
Eibach Pro lowering springs struts and shocks with front and rear sway bars
Shelby adjustable front end links
VMP 2.59 pulley and tune
JLT Big Air carbon fiber CAI
McLeod RXT twin disc clutch
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 OFFLINE   WJinLV

WJinLV

WJ in Vegas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Joined 15-June 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

Agree, but the mesh is not supposed to be impenetrable, just protect from large debris damage.

#26 OFFLINE   Freak

Freak

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 586 posts
  • Joined 30-April 07
  • Region:Decline
  • Interests:Fast Cars, Firearms, Photography and my puppy dog.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

Adding a H/E with dual fans would have cost more $$$.

Not only would it have cost more, but it would have done exactly zero to fix a high speed cooling problem. As I mentioned in another thread, fans do NOTHING at high speeds. In fact they're pretty much (if not completely) useless at highway speeds.

Fans exist on cars to draw air through the radiator (and H/E on these cars) when the vehicle isn't moving fast enough to push enough through them. Once the car is moving fast enough that the air being pushed into the radiator orH/E equals the amount the fan can pull through, the fan no longer does any good.

At some point the fan/shroud can actually be a hindrance to air flow.

And none of this addresses the engine cooling system.
Freedom exists because there are men and women willing to do terrible things to those who would threaten it.

It is the Marines, Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen who salute the flag, who serve beneath the flag, and who's coffins are draped by the flag, that allow the protester to burn the flag.

I'm not a Shelby guy, I'm not a Mustang guy, I'm not a Camaro or Chevy guy, and I'm not a Dodge guy. I'm a car guy. I don't care what the fender says, if it looks cool, is fast and fun to drive, It can be called a Poo-master 1000 for all I care. I'll still like it.

http://www.facebook.com/BanTheFordMustang

#27 OFFLINE   svt13

svt13

Team Shelby Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • Joined 24-April 12

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:48 AM

Not only would it have cost more, but it would have done exactly zero to fix a high speed cooling problem. As I mentioned in another thread, fans do NOTHING at high speeds. In fact they're pretty much (if not completely) useless at highway speeds.

Fans exist on cars to draw air through the radiator (and H/E on these cars) when the vehicle isn't moving fast enough to push enough through them. Once the car is moving fast enough that the air being pushed into the radiator orH/E equals the amount the fan can pull through, the fan no longer does any good.

At some point the fan/shroud can actually be a hindrance to air flow.

And none of this addresses the engine cooling system.

Well if this is true then DEFINITELY the H/E my shelby is a downgrade. I guess then I have no clue how you would improve cooling on this car, because that heat exchanger now that we have is HUGE. I don't think a bigger one would even fit properly.

Mods:
35% window tint

nav-tv rear view camera
Red line hood struts
FRPP springs

Mods undecided about:

#28 OFFLINE   2010KonaBlueGT

2010KonaBlueGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,404 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

Well if this is true then DEFINITELY the H/E my shelby is a downgrade. I guess then I have no clue how you would improve cooling on this car, because that heat exchanger now that we have is HUGE. I don't think a bigger one would even fit properly.

What people seem to be missing is the fact that the 2013's have a larger Heat Exchanger AND a larger Intercooler.

http://www.fordracin...tKeyField=22993

Posted Image

Phill

2010 GT500 Coupe

#29 OFFLINE   svt13

svt13

Team Shelby Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • Joined 24-April 12

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

Yes thats true. Its doubled in size hasn't it?

Edited by svt13, 22 August 2012 - 10:36 AM.

Mods:
35% window tint

nav-tv rear view camera
Red line hood struts
FRPP springs

Mods undecided about:

#30 OFFLINE   2010KonaBlueGT

2010KonaBlueGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,404 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

Yes thats true. Its doubled in size hasn't it?

I can't remember what Ford quoted but I don't think it was 100% (which would be double). I think it was like 30 or 40 percent...But that might be for the 10 to 11 model year (the heat exchanger was larger).

You can probably find the specs online, where Jamal talks about it. Probably on SVTperformance.com

Phill

2010 GT500 Coupe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users