Snoopy49

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

I find it interesting that none of the aftermarket cooler suppliers offer a higher volume coolant pump. Ford found a need for one when they upgraded their system.

2013 GT500 Coupe - HPW with Black Stripes - SVT PP - SVT TP - Redline Hood Struts - Yeager Bros Front Gravel Guards - Bob's Oil Separator -AirAid Blue Non-Oiled Air Filter - CarboTech 1521 Ceramic Brake Pads - Resonator Eliminator Kit - WeatherTech Floor Mats
Car Ordered 5-27-2012 - Delivered 1-26-2013

#32 OFFLINE   Freak

Freak

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 586 posts
  • Joined 30-April 07
  • Region:Decline
  • Interests:Fast Cars, Firearms, Photography and my puppy dog.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Well if this is true then DEFINITELY the H/E my shelby is a downgrade. I guess then I have no clue how you would improve cooling on this car, because that heat exchanger now that we have is HUGE. I don't think a bigger one would even fit properly.

A downgrade from what?

I didn't say fans do nothing, I said that they do nothing at high speeds, which is where Ford saw the problems.

But why you keep equating "cooling" with the intercooler system is beyond me. There's another entire cooling system. And from what I've read, it seems that was the biggest issue at high speeds, not the intercooler.
Freedom exists because there are men and women willing to do terrible things to those who would threaten it.

It is the Marines, Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen who salute the flag, who serve beneath the flag, and who's coffins are draped by the flag, that allow the protester to burn the flag.

I'm not a Shelby guy, I'm not a Mustang guy, I'm not a Camaro or Chevy guy, and I'm not a Dodge guy. I'm a car guy. I don't care what the fender says, if it looks cool, is fast and fun to drive, It can be called a Poo-master 1000 for all I care. I'll still like it.

http://www.facebook.com/BanTheFordMustang

#33 ONLINE   2010KonaBlueGT

2010KonaBlueGT

There's room at the top. Space is limited...RSVP!

• Mountain Region
  • 7,000 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Anything Fast - Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Planes, Women, etc. Building Hi-Po engines. Sailing, Riding Motorcycles (dirt & street), Racing - Motorcycles & Cars, Bowling & Drinking Beer!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

A downgrade from what?

I didn't say fans do nothing, I said that they do nothing at high speeds, which is where Ford saw the problems.

But why you keep equating "cooling" with the intercooler system is beyond me. There's another entire cooling system. And from what I've read, it seems that was the biggest issue at high speeds, not the intercooler.

Fans can actually be a detriment at high air flow conditions. They can block the airflow. I don't have any scientific evidence to say they are on the C&R's but I would think they are (a limiting factor).

And like you said, fans are to draw (relatively) cool air over the device under low air flow conditions such as idling or slow driving...Which is right where you *don't* require it on a Supercharger IC.

I personally wanted the fans so they would be cooling the Heat Exchanger fluid down between rounds, on the return trip to the staging lanes where air flow is at a minimum or waiting to stage when there is little to no air flowing.

Phill
2010 GT500 Coupe
Kona Blue w/White OTT Stripes and Red Accent Stripes
Electronics Package, HID's & Car Cover

CURRENT MODS: FRPP: Whipple 2.9L Polished Superchager w/Crusher Inlet & Cobra Jet dual 65mm Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers - Ford Blue Cam Covers - Polished Billet COP & Oil filler Cap Covers - FR3 Handling Pack w/Tokico Struts/Shocks & Eibach Swaybars - Jounce Bumpers - 8.8" Low Profile Axle Girdle - 3" Front Brake Cooling Ducts - Vacuum/Boost Gauge~ MGW: Short Throw Shifter - White w/Blue Stripes Shifter Knob - Radiator and Intercooler Degas Bottle Caps - Seat Recliner Lever Covers - Parking Brake Handle Cover - Coat Hanger Hooks~ PST: 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft~ Revan Racing: C&R Radiator and Intercooler~ ROUSH: 3x Intercooler Degas Bottle - Side Splitters - Extreme Off-road Exhaust - Adjustable Trailing Arms (LCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link (UCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link Bracket - AC Vent Pod Vac/Boost Gauge Mount~ SHELBY: SC Aux. Idler Pulley - Oil Dipstick Handle, MC, PS & WS Washer Reservoir Caps - 8-qt. Oil Pan - Subframe K-member - Tubular Front A-arms - 6S Extreme Front Brakes - KR Style Front Brake Duct Bezels - Anti Bump-stear Tie-rod Ends - Race Style Swaybar Links - Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates - Adjustable Panhard Bar - Panhard Bar/Body Brace - KR Rear Axle Reservoir - Eradispeed Rear Brake Rotors & Caliper Relocation Brackets - Shelby/BMR Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets -18" GT500KR Alcoa Dura-Bright Wheels & Goodyear KR Winged Boot F1 Supercar tires~

PURCHASED AND AWAITING INSTALLATION: Shelby/Baer Extreme Rear Brakes; Shelby/Metco Fuel Rails, Shelby Alcoa 20" Dura-Bright Super Snake style wheels; NMB2 2-Stage WOT Box, Granatelli Motors Tire Fryer Line-lock, Raptor shift light, ZEX N2O kit, Ford Racing Lighted Sill Plates w/Ford Racing logo.

#34 OFFLINE   Freak

Freak

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 586 posts
  • Joined 30-April 07
  • Region:Decline
  • Interests:Fast Cars, Firearms, Photography and my puppy dog.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

Fans can actually be a detriment at high air flow conditions. They can block the airflow. I don't have any scientific evidence to say they are on the C&R's but I would think they are (a limiting factor).

Yep. that's the reason for the overpressure doors on the radiator shroud. I don't know how much the fans on the aftermarket H/E's cut air flow, but I'm sure there's a point where it would be an issue. But I'd bet very few people are going to run into it.

I personally wanted the fans so they would be cooling the Heat Exchanger fluid down between rounds, on the return trip to the staging lanes where air flow is at a minimum or waiting to stage when there is little to no air flowing.

This. Exactly this. Heat builds up while you're hard on the gas, and then you slow down or stop. If you don't have fans, the heat doesn't go away.
Freedom exists because there are men and women willing to do terrible things to those who would threaten it.

It is the Marines, Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen who salute the flag, who serve beneath the flag, and who's coffins are draped by the flag, that allow the protester to burn the flag.

I'm not a Shelby guy, I'm not a Mustang guy, I'm not a Camaro or Chevy guy, and I'm not a Dodge guy. I'm a car guy. I don't care what the fender says, if it looks cool, is fast and fun to drive, It can be called a Poo-master 1000 for all I care. I'll still like it.

http://www.facebook.com/BanTheFordMustang

#35 OFFLINE   tedj

tedj

Team Shelby New Member

• Pacific Northwest Region
  • 233 posts
  • Joined 15-January 10
  • Region:Pacific Northwest
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

My motorcycle has a black plastic mesh that fits flush against the radiator to deflect large stones. It works well. This would leave the grill open and you would have to look closely to see it. I may try to find some of this material and give that a try.

#36 OFFLINE   svt13

svt13

Team Shelby Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • Joined 24-April 12
  • Region:Northeast

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

My motorcycle has a black plastic mesh that fits flush against the radiator to deflect large stones. It works well. This would leave the grill open and you would have to look closely to see it. I may try to find some of this material and give that a try.

shelby already has something. Look on the new SS on mustangsdaily.com
2013 shelby gt500 black w/black stripe SVTPP,Recaros,Electronics Package,Glass roof,car cover.

Mods:
35% window tint

nav-tv rear view camera
Red line hood struts
Front splitter curb alert system
Super snake carbon fiber splitter
APR Performance carbon fiber mirror assembly
JLT CF resonator delete w/blue airaid Filter
Shelby transmission cooler scoope
BMR UCA with Mount, BMR adjustable panhard bar
Bob's billet LCA and bob's oil separator
FRPP springs
HRE p40 w/Michelin Super sport tires

Future mods going on the car soon: Shelby floor and trunk mat, custom made EPCO shifter knob

Mods undecided about:
Boss x brace, MGW shifter, Boss side exhaust, Corsa black diamond axleback, Lithium battery

#37 ONLINE   2010KonaBlueGT

2010KonaBlueGT

There's room at the top. Space is limited...RSVP!

• Mountain Region
  • 7,000 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09
  • Interests:Anything Fast - Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Planes, Women, etc. Building Hi-Po engines. Sailing, Riding Motorcycles (dirt & street), Racing - Motorcycles & Cars, Bowling & Drinking Beer!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

My motorcycle has a black plastic mesh that fits flush against the radiator to deflect large stones. It works well.

And I'll bet the radiator sits right behind the front wheel, right?

Apples/Oranges.

Phill
2010 GT500 Coupe
Kona Blue w/White OTT Stripes and Red Accent Stripes
Electronics Package, HID's & Car Cover

CURRENT MODS: FRPP: Whipple 2.9L Polished Superchager w/Crusher Inlet & Cobra Jet dual 65mm Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers - Ford Blue Cam Covers - Polished Billet COP & Oil filler Cap Covers - FR3 Handling Pack w/Tokico Struts/Shocks & Eibach Swaybars - Jounce Bumpers - 8.8" Low Profile Axle Girdle - 3" Front Brake Cooling Ducts - Vacuum/Boost Gauge~ MGW: Short Throw Shifter - White w/Blue Stripes Shifter Knob - Radiator and Intercooler Degas Bottle Caps - Seat Recliner Lever Covers - Parking Brake Handle Cover - Coat Hanger Hooks~ PST: 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft~ Revan Racing: C&R Radiator and Intercooler~ ROUSH: 3x Intercooler Degas Bottle - Side Splitters - Extreme Off-road Exhaust - Adjustable Trailing Arms (LCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link (UCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link Bracket - AC Vent Pod Vac/Boost Gauge Mount~ SHELBY: SC Aux. Idler Pulley - Oil Dipstick Handle, MC, PS & WS Washer Reservoir Caps - 8-qt. Oil Pan - Subframe K-member - Tubular Front A-arms - 6S Extreme Front Brakes - KR Style Front Brake Duct Bezels - Anti Bump-stear Tie-rod Ends - Race Style Swaybar Links - Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates - Adjustable Panhard Bar - Panhard Bar/Body Brace - KR Rear Axle Reservoir - Eradispeed Rear Brake Rotors & Caliper Relocation Brackets - Shelby/BMR Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets -18" GT500KR Alcoa Dura-Bright Wheels & Goodyear KR Winged Boot F1 Supercar tires~

PURCHASED AND AWAITING INSTALLATION: Shelby/Baer Extreme Rear Brakes; Shelby/Metco Fuel Rails, Shelby Alcoa 20" Dura-Bright Super Snake style wheels; NMB2 2-Stage WOT Box, Granatelli Motors Tire Fryer Line-lock, Raptor shift light, ZEX N2O kit, Ford Racing Lighted Sill Plates w/Ford Racing logo.

#38 OFFLINE   tedj

tedj

Team Shelby New Member

• 233 posts
  • Joined 15-January 10

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

And I'll bet the radiator sits right behind the front wheel, right?

Apples/Oranges.

Phill

It sits above the wheel and extends to both sides, it sees plenty of action.

IMG 2187

#39 OFFLINE   klastinger

klastinger

Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 102 posts
  • Joined 21-November 11
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:Cars, outdoors, and biking.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

I bought black powder coated material from customcargrills.com, and custom cut it to cover my radiator and HE. Look very good to me, and you have to get up close to tell it is there.

Thats it! now one for the bottom too. Wonder when they will make it to market?

Attached Files

2012 Shelby GT500 - White, Stripe Delete. Recaros, and Navigation. Suspension: Koni Sport Shocks/Struts, Steeda Springs, Mounts, and Swaybars. Shelby Lower Control Arms and Billet Watts Link. Performance: Corsa Exhaust, JLT Intake, Shelby Oil Catch Cans, AirRaid Filter. Steeda Pulley. Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, and Tunes. Drivetrain: MGW Shifter. Driveshaft Shop Carbon Fiber Driveshaft. Shelby Brake upgrades. Wheels and Tires: Shelby/Alcoa 50th Anniversary Rims, and Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

#40 OFFLINE   WJinLV

WJinLV

WJ in Vegas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Joined 15-June 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

I bought black powder coated material from customcargrills.com, and custom cut it to cover my radiator and HE. Look very good to me, and you have to get up close to tell it is there.

Nice, what size diamond mesh did you use? And how did you mount it? Thanks in advance, Wayne

Edited by WJinLV, 29 August 2012 - 08:17 PM.

2013 Shelby GT500. Performance White Sonic Blue Stripes. Airaid SynthaMax filter. JLT dual oil separators. FRPP resonator delete. Redline hood struts. Michelin PSS, 275/40/19, 285/35/20. Smoked markers. Shelby shifter. Jaeger brothers stone guards. GT350 style rear window covers. Lloyd's mats.

#41 OFFLINE   svt13

svt13

Team Shelby Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • Joined 24-April 12
  • Region:Northeast

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:11 AM

Why don't you take a picture of it from a distance rather than that close up? That way we can see if we can notice it or not.
2013 shelby gt500 black w/black stripe SVTPP,Recaros,Electronics Package,Glass roof,car cover.

Mods:
35% window tint

nav-tv rear view camera
Red line hood struts
Front splitter curb alert system
Super snake carbon fiber splitter
APR Performance carbon fiber mirror assembly
JLT CF resonator delete w/blue airaid Filter
Shelby transmission cooler scoope
BMR UCA with Mount, BMR adjustable panhard bar
Bob's billet LCA and bob's oil separator
FRPP springs
HRE p40 w/Michelin Super sport tires

Future mods going on the car soon: Shelby floor and trunk mat, custom made EPCO shifter knob

Mods undecided about:
Boss x brace, MGW shifter, Boss side exhaust, Corsa black diamond axleback, Lithium battery

#42 OFFLINE   Husky44

Husky44

Team Shelby New Member

• 167 posts
  • Joined 24-August 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

Nice, what size diamond mesh did you use? And how did you mount it? Thanks in advance, Wayne

+1 on the mounting question. This is how I was thinking of going, but not sure how to mount it. Would love ideas on how to mount quickly, as well as dims, if it's not a precise cut, as I'm going to be picking mine up and driving it up the Alcan. It would be nice to have a solution that I could do a quick install on, at least to cut down on the rocks and big bugs until I get it home. Would really appreciate a tech writeup with pics? Please? :D
2013 GT500 Convertible: Grabber Blue, Black Stripes, SVTPP, NAV, Recaros, Shaker Pro
Posted Image

1967 Mustang Convertible: Restomod (in progress)--347, TF heads and intake, World Class T5, 8.8 with 4:10s, Cobra 4 wheel disc brakes... Target completion May 2013.
Posted Image

#43 OFFLINE   Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

Check out this thread.
Caught a rock...pay attn FORD!

2013 GT500 Coupe - HPW with Black Stripes - SVT PP - SVT TP - Redline Hood Struts - Yeager Bros Front Gravel Guards - Bob's Oil Separator -AirAid Blue Non-Oiled Air Filter - CarboTech 1521 Ceramic Brake Pads - Resonator Eliminator Kit - WeatherTech Floor Mats
Car Ordered 5-27-2012 - Delivered 1-26-2013

#44 OFFLINE   tedj

tedj

Team Shelby New Member

• 233 posts
  • Joined 15-January 10

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

That's exactly what I was looking for, I will get some of that.
Thanks

#45 OFFLINE   patrickshelby

patrickshelby

Team Shelby Member

• World-Wide Region
  • 932 posts
  • Joined 20-October 08
  • Region:European Union

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

Posted Image

#46 OFFLINE   Mulanzo

Mulanzo

Supersnakeman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 390 posts
  • Joined 16-January 10

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:32 AM

well... it's a shame for the car... but the bugs deserved it. Stupid bugs.
"Lois"
2011 GT500 w/ SVT Package
Kona Blue with Red Stripe and Ingot Accents
331st Coupe of 4150 Produced
34th of 587 Cars Produced in Kona

Posted Image

#47 OFFLINE   klastinger

klastinger

Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 102 posts
  • Joined 21-November 11
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:Cars, outdoors, and biking.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Attached File  2012-07-29 23.18.20.jpg   21.14KB   35 downloadsI mounted it using black nylon ties. Here is a picture from a distance, including upper grill section as well.

+1 on the mounting question. This is how I was thinking of going, but not sure how to mount it. Would love ideas on how to mount quickly, as well as dims, if it's not a precise cut, as I'm going to be picking mine up and driving it up the Alcan. It would be nice to have a solution that I could do a quick install on, at least to cut down on the rocks and big bugs until I get it home. Would really appreciate a tech writeup with pics? Please? :D

2012 Shelby GT500 - White, Stripe Delete. Recaros, and Navigation. Suspension: Koni Sport Shocks/Struts, Steeda Springs, Mounts, and Swaybars. Shelby Lower Control Arms and Billet Watts Link. Performance: Corsa Exhaust, JLT Intake, Shelby Oil Catch Cans, AirRaid Filter. Steeda Pulley. Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, and Tunes. Drivetrain: MGW Shifter. Driveshaft Shop Carbon Fiber Driveshaft. Shelby Brake upgrades. Wheels and Tires: Shelby/Alcoa 50th Anniversary Rims, and Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users