#61 OFFLINE   mach 1 1970

mach 1 1970

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • Joined 26-July 07
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:gas , oil & Coke collector --college baseball Ga Tech ,antiques , Motorhome traveling& vintage racing, RETIRED and travel to the AMALFI coast in Italy
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

Don’t build another Shelby GT, not yet. And if SA should decide to build one, I would recommend waiting until at least the next Mustang chassis is introduced. What’s the target audience? Where’s the market for another Shelby GT? I’d hate to see Shelby GTs languishing on dealer lots again. A few KRs still are! I would focus my attention on “improving the breed”.

SA has a pretty good spread of Shelby Mustang offerings right now. If $45k is the price point we’re looking at right now, I’d say go after making the Shelby GTS more desirable.

Car / Mustang enthusiasts usually fall into or transition through four broad purposes for their car(s):
1. Daily driver / transportation
2. Weekend enjoyment / car shows / boulevard cruising
3. Drag racing
4. Road racing / autocross

I’ve seen folks use their 2007-2008 SGTs for all of these purposes, even though the emphasis was always about what great handling abilities the car possessed. Currently, the Shelby GTS fits the bill in almost the exact same way, except it can be more customized from “the factory” than the SGT ever could. The only real downside as I see it is that the GTS is a post title Shelby. That’s a big deal to some, while it’s not to others.

Why not make the GTS better by making it a more tailorable purpose built car? Add the Boss 302 Hi-po V8, a “track pack” package and more exhaust system options to the list.

Finally, market it. I thought it was great to read all of the Shelby GTS first drives and road tests when the car first came out. I don’t think I’ve seen anything about it since though. How about some coverage of some shoot-outs or competitions?

Just some food for thought.

+1 -------When was the last time you saw the GT500 with the X. A . Z plan buying options ? The New 650 HP Shelby GT500 is the talk of the town and will be for along time.

Edited by mach 1 1970, 08 May 2012 - 08:40 AM.

Current

2010 Shelby GT 500
1969 Z/28 Camaro crate motor 502 RamJet Pro Touring ( big block 645 HP ) the sound is amazing. 5 speed.

Past Fords over 33 years

2008 GT500KR
2005 FORD GT
1970 Mach1 (3)
1970 Boss 302 ( 3 )
1970 GT500
1969 GT350
1966 GT350
2003 Cobra SVT 10th annv.
2007 SGT
2001 Saleen
1971 Boss 351
2001 Cobra SVT
2011 GT500
2004 T-Bird
2006 Shelby GT-H
2012 Boss 302
2008 Shelby GT conv.

#62 OFFLINE   TheKurgan

TheKurgan

Fast Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,032 posts
  • Joined 09-January 08
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Racing,Flyfishing,Kayaking

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

What about a Shelby KT...King of the Track. :superhero:
07 SGT - JDM302E, Paxton Novi 1500, Spec 3+, FRPP cams/intake/TB, Kooks, Tial 50mm BOV - 637 rwhp/547 rwtq - Tuned by VMP

Posted Image

#63 OFFLINE   EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,229 posts
  • Joined 15-March 09
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

My gripe isn't with people collecting them. It's with folks that don't want Shelby to make any more, so theirs will be worth more. That's not fair or reasonable.

Jer

Exactly!

In order for Shelby to stay relevent, in my opinion, and continue to be successful selling performance parts and to be around for future generations it needs to capitalize on its established and successful monikers; GT500, GT350, Supersnake, King of The Road, and Shelby GT. Adding new monikers every few years makes it difficult to establish name recognition within the market. Look at Roush for example, Roush has added to its stable of Stage 1 thru 3 with very limited runs of specialty cars such as the P51a & Darkhorse but has offered the Stage 1 thru 3 for many years. Think of it this way, would the basic form and function of the Mustang have such a cult following if it had changed its monicor every few years? What if Ford had scrapped the Mustang in favor of the Pinto or Probe as was once thought to be the plan?

As a kid I would wear out magazines with articals on the GT350 and GT500 with hopes that maybe one day as an old man I would be lucky enough to afford one of these classics. Then in 2006 Ford and Shelby made my dreams come true with the return of the GT500 on a modern plateform followed by the Hertz and Shelby GT. Suddenly I didn't have to wait until I was an old man to afford one.

Fast forward to today, kids see the GT500 and Shelby GT (which is instantly recognizable as a Shelby due to 60's GT350 styling) having the same thoughts I had looking at the originals, but then he or she is told. 'Sorry, you'll have to save a lot of money and hope one comes available at auction or find one not destroyed by rats and birds in some long forgotten barn because Shelby does not make them anymore. But, you can have a Shelby SR/GTS/XYZ, which are very cool in their own right but don't have desirablity or history of being the rebirth of the legendary Shelby Brand.

The original Shelbys from the '60's or not desirable simply because Carroll and a bunch of hotrodders built them. The are desirable because many saw them as the meanest, most badass cars in the street because they had domnated on the strips and tracks accross the globe. Shelby produced nearly 14,000 GT350's and GT500's between '65 and '70. Today thats not a lot of cars, but during those 5yrs in the 60's that was a big number. Today, aside from the GT500 which has the manufacturing might of Ford behind it, Shelby America has produced far fewer cars relative to the total auto industry then it did in the 60's. So building a few hunderd more per year Shelby GT's on a 2012 or newer plateform will not have a negative effect on the disirability/collectability of the '07-'08 Shelby GT. If anything it will drive more desirability because the Shelby GT moniker will be back in the spotlight.

And back to my original post, the collectabilty/value of any moderan Shelby in the future remains to be seen and will not be answered for many, many years to come. They will most certaining not see the comparative values of the '60's Shelbys. Right now, a low milage SGT can be had for mid $20K. Thats far from what I would consider demanding a premium.

Carroll has always said he builds his cars to be driven (To me this includes caring for, protecting, and enjoying your Shelby.). I conclude this to mean they are not to be placed in a safety deposit box in hopes of a future return on investment. In my opinion, using a Shelby as an investment like the stockmarket is doing a disjustice to the old chicken farmer in overalls.

Edited by EL SHELBY, 08 May 2012 - 10:37 AM.

08SGT0343 Fueled with CS branded pixie dust ground from the asphault of the Mausaon Straight and defeated Ferrari's.
Posted Image

#64 OFFLINE   tko211

tko211

Zachary Sharples

• Members
  • Pip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 02-November 07

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

In my opinion the Shelby GT lives on in the GTS program. In fact, that was actually the marketing message coming from Shelby HQ when the GTS was unveiled. I would go a step further and say that I feel that the Terlingua and Shelby GT were "rationalized together" into the GTS format. (hence the V6 or V8 options).

The GTS program is so comprehensive and because the customer has so many choices in that program, I'm struggling to understand the purpose of a new SGT as long as the GTS program is still running.

#65 OFFLINE   Jer

Jer

Jer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,233 posts
  • Joined 22-December 07
  • Interests:My wife, my dogs, my cat, cars, and music. NHRA addict.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

Exactly!

In order for Shelby to stay relevent, in my opinion, and continue to be successful selling performance parts and to be around for future generations it needs to capitalize on its established and successful monikers; GT500, GT350, Supersnake, King of The Road, and Shelby GT. Adding new monikers every few years makes it difficult to establish name recognition within the market. Look at Roush for example, Roush has added to its stable of Stage 1 thru 3 with very limited runs of specialty cars such as the P51a & Darkhorse but has offered the Stage 1 thru 3 for many years. Think of it this way, would the basic form and function of the Mustang have such a cult following if it had changed its monicor every few years? What if Ford had scrapped the Mustang in favor of the Pinto or Probe as was once thought to be the plan?

As a kid I would wear out magazines with articals on the GT350 and GT500 with hopes that maybe one day as an old man I would be lucky enough to afford one of these classics. Then in 2006 Ford and Shelby made my dreams come true with the return of the GT500 on a modern plateform followed by the Hertz and Shelby GT. Suddenly I didn't have to wait until I was an old man to afford one.

Fast forward to today, kids see the GT500 and Shelby GT (which is instantly recognizable as a Shelby due to 60's GT350 styling) having the same thoughts I had looking at the originals, but then he or she is told. 'Sorry, you'll have to save a lot of money and hope one comes available at auction or find one not destroyed by rats and birds in some long forgotten barn because Shelby does not make them anymore. But, you can have a Shelby SR/GTS/XYZ, which are very cool in their own right but don't have desirablity or history of being the rebirth of the legendary Shelby Brand.

The original Shelbys from the '60's or not desirable simply because Carroll and a bunch of hotrodders built them. The are desirable because many saw them as the meanest, most badass cars in the street because they had domnated on the strips and tracks accross the globe. Shelby produced nearly 14,000 GT350's and GT500's between '65 and '70. Today thats not a lot of cars, but during those 5yrs in the 60's that was a big number. Today, aside from the GT500 which has the manufacturing might of Ford behind it, Shelby America has produced far fewer cars relative to the total auto industry then it did in the 60's. So building a few hunderd more per year Shelby GT's on a 2012 or newer plateform will not have a negative effect on the disirability/collectability of the '07-'08 Shelby GT. If anything it will drive more desirability because the Shelby GT moniker will be back in the spotlight.

And back to my original post, the collectabilty/value of any moderan Shelby in the future remains to be seen and will not be answered for many, many years to come. They will most certaining not see the comparative values of the '60's Shelbys. Right now, a low milage SGT can be had for mid $20K. Thats far from what I would consider demanding a premium.

Carroll has always said he builds his cars to be driven (To me this includes caring for, protecting, and enjoying your Shelby.). I conclude this to mean they are not to be placed in a safety deposit box in hopes of a future return on investment. In my opinion, using a Shelby as an investment like the stockmarket is doing a disjustice to the old chicken farmer in overalls.

Some great points there.

Jer
2007 SGT/SC # 446 - White, 5spd, Whipple 550 HO with Shelby/C&R radiator and heat exchanger upgrade, Painted stripes (rockers and Le Mans), painted lower fascia (a tribute to Whitey), Shelby Deep Draw (2 3/8") Hood with custom GT350 mesh inserts, Shelby brake duct/driving light bezels with PIAA 510XT lights, Shelby custom underbody front brake duct inlets and fabricated brake cooling plates, Terlingua billet hood pin plates, Shelby tensioner support brace, Shelby race-fabricated valve covers, Dark Charcoal Gray Interior and dash (signed by Carroll), IUP, Active Anti-Theft, Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT with XM Radio, NAV, HD Radio, DVD video touchscreen, Bluetooth, rearview camera, etc... Infinity Reference speakers, Shelby Kicker door subwoofers, trunk sub, and 4.1 amp, Chrome 20X9 Shelby-logoed Razors (ET24) with Nitto 555s (255 front, 275 rear), Baer Extreme+ 6 piston brakes all around, A'te Super Blue brake fluid, Goodridge s/s brakelines, SLP Loudmouths, Aeroforce Terminator gauge, Shelby gauge pod, CS Supercharged faux gas cap logo, billet lower grille, updated 2008-style front grille mount, grille, Shelby billet hood pin kit and pony emblem, Shelby floormats and trunk mat, Shelby Harness Bar, CG-Lock seatbelts, Shelby GT engine cap set and period-correct "Shelby Automobiles" license plate frames, Moroso and Shelby tanks, brake fluid reservoir, and fusebox cover, shorty antenna, Shelby billet fuel fill door, 3/4 window louvers, Shelby upper control arm and mount and lower control arms, CHE K-member brace w/ torque limiters, sequential taillights, Shelby billet Watts link, Ford Racing 3.73:1 gearset, Shelby GT500KR diff cover, de-rusted and painted rear axle housing, Eaton True Trac limited-slip differential, Moser axles, Strange Engineering axle studs, Shelby GT500KR Axle Reservoir, full of Mobil 1 with Ford Racing filter. H3R HalGuard fire extinguisher with Shelby and Brey-Krause mounting, Shelby Helmet and Driving Jacket. Of course I have lots and lots of Shelby doodads, knicknacks, merch, apparel, bling, and bric-a-brac. Many Shelby certificates and Monroney sticker shiny and intact. Fender SGT guitar. Tolerant wife.

Shelby Vegas Bash 2011 and 2012 Show Winner.

Lift #15
Technicians: John Orr/Randall LaViolette
2/13/2007 9:26:32 AM: Dash Badge Installed
2/13/2007 9:26:34 AM: Shelby Letters Installed
2/13/2007 9:26:35 AM: Side badges installed both sides

That's when it became OFFICIAL, in my opinion! A Shelby was born!
CUTE COINCIDENCE: The NEXT DAY, I was in Vegas getting married. True story.

UPDATE: In 2009, I drove cross-country with my wife from NY in the SGT and finally just MOVED here. I figured Vegas was lucky for me.
UPDATE: GT/SC upgrade completed at SAI on July 22, 2011.
UPDATE: Left Guitar Center and joined SA as Vice President, Shelby Performance Parts, August 2012-May 2014

#66 OFFLINE   Jer

Jer

Jer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,233 posts
  • Joined 22-December 07
  • Interests:My wife, my dogs, my cat, cars, and music. NHRA addict.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

In my opinion the Shelby GT lives on in the GTS program. In fact, that was actually the marketing message coming from Shelby HQ when the GTS was unveiled. I would go a step further and say that I feel that the Terlingua and Shelby GT were "rationalized together" into the GTS format. (hence the V6 or V8 options).

The GTS program is so comprehensive and because the customer has so many choices in that program, I'm struggling to understand the purpose of a new SGT as long as the GTS program is still running.

This is a very rational curiosity.
I think the answer lies in my post when I questioned the "GTS" name having any pull in the marketplace. With so many SGTs out there, that name is better recognized.

Jer
2007 SGT/SC # 446 - White, 5spd, Whipple 550 HO with Shelby/C&R radiator and heat exchanger upgrade, Painted stripes (rockers and Le Mans), painted lower fascia (a tribute to Whitey), Shelby Deep Draw (2 3/8") Hood with custom GT350 mesh inserts, Shelby brake duct/driving light bezels with PIAA 510XT lights, Shelby custom underbody front brake duct inlets and fabricated brake cooling plates, Terlingua billet hood pin plates, Shelby tensioner support brace, Shelby race-fabricated valve covers, Dark Charcoal Gray Interior and dash (signed by Carroll), IUP, Active Anti-Theft, Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT with XM Radio, NAV, HD Radio, DVD video touchscreen, Bluetooth, rearview camera, etc... Infinity Reference speakers, Shelby Kicker door subwoofers, trunk sub, and 4.1 amp, Chrome 20X9 Shelby-logoed Razors (ET24) with Nitto 555s (255 front, 275 rear), Baer Extreme+ 6 piston brakes all around, A'te Super Blue brake fluid, Goodridge s/s brakelines, SLP Loudmouths, Aeroforce Terminator gauge, Shelby gauge pod, CS Supercharged faux gas cap logo, billet lower grille, updated 2008-style front grille mount, grille, Shelby billet hood pin kit and pony emblem, Shelby floormats and trunk mat, Shelby Harness Bar, CG-Lock seatbelts, Shelby GT engine cap set and period-correct "Shelby Automobiles" license plate frames, Moroso and Shelby tanks, brake fluid reservoir, and fusebox cover, shorty antenna, Shelby billet fuel fill door, 3/4 window louvers, Shelby upper control arm and mount and lower control arms, CHE K-member brace w/ torque limiters, sequential taillights, Shelby billet Watts link, Ford Racing 3.73:1 gearset, Shelby GT500KR diff cover, de-rusted and painted rear axle housing, Eaton True Trac limited-slip differential, Moser axles, Strange Engineering axle studs, Shelby GT500KR Axle Reservoir, full of Mobil 1 with Ford Racing filter. H3R HalGuard fire extinguisher with Shelby and Brey-Krause mounting, Shelby Helmet and Driving Jacket. Of course I have lots and lots of Shelby doodads, knicknacks, merch, apparel, bling, and bric-a-brac. Many Shelby certificates and Monroney sticker shiny and intact. Fender SGT guitar. Tolerant wife.

Shelby Vegas Bash 2011 and 2012 Show Winner.

Lift #15
Technicians: John Orr/Randall LaViolette
2/13/2007 9:26:32 AM: Dash Badge Installed
2/13/2007 9:26:34 AM: Shelby Letters Installed
2/13/2007 9:26:35 AM: Side badges installed both sides

That's when it became OFFICIAL, in my opinion! A Shelby was born!
CUTE COINCIDENCE: The NEXT DAY, I was in Vegas getting married. True story.

UPDATE: In 2009, I drove cross-country with my wife from NY in the SGT and finally just MOVED here. I figured Vegas was lucky for me.
UPDATE: GT/SC upgrade completed at SAI on July 22, 2011.
UPDATE: Left Guitar Center and joined SA as Vice President, Shelby Performance Parts, August 2012-May 2014

#67 OFFLINE   RogerS

RogerS

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Northeast Region
  • 5,172 posts
  • Joined 07-April 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Interests:CSX

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

Debate is good. Couple of points
  • GTS apparently has a V6, entry level connotation. Looking at build numbers 95% are V6
  • GTS not long in the market little brand equity
  • GT= V8, handling, Hurst Shifting, first pre-title program after a 40 yr. hiatus (high pent up demand)
  • Case could be made for both GTS=V6 application and GT=V8 application
  • The GT500 with 600 + HP will probably have a shorter life span than most think
  • The GT, if considered, would be a post title car with a target of 150 or less per year over a two year run, quick turn around and price pointed to a specific target group
  • Does not mean there will be no further development of the branding for the new body, engine, chassis design within the current Shelby Portfolio of vehicles
  • The market is at the point of saturation in the Mustang arena
Value....................I'll let my kids fight that battle. I'll be long gone by then. Then................there is only ONE Shelby. Every product has styling, performance and handling as a core. We believe we live Carroll's philosophy every day. Make them faster, handle better and look the part.

Dollar value...................get a Kia :)

Thanks for providing thought provoking conversation and keeping it on target. We do read the responses and discuss as a management team every week.

Roger

"If you don't go do what you wanna do, you're just bullshitting yourself." Carroll Shelby

2012 Shelby GT 500 Grabber Blue

2013 Ford Focus ST Black

#68 OFFLINE   TAPD117

TAPD117

GLENN (GG)

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,293 posts
  • Joined 28-November 06
  • Interests:I dig Mustangs & Shelbys. How about them Cowboys!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

Roger some of us would like an automatic option.... GG
TAPD117 (My friends call me GG)

2008 Shelby GT/BJ Barrett Jackson Limited Edition Premium Convertible
Arizona Only Dealers Option Black With Red Stripes - 08SGT2290

1 of 100 SGT/BJ Limited Edition Mustangs (61 Coupes-39 Convertibles)
1 of 39 SGT/BJ Convertibles
1 of 11 SGT/BJ Convertible Automatics
1 of 5 SGT/BJ Convertible Automatics with Shaker 1000

Arkansas License Plate: SGT-BJ
SAI Transaction Notes & Results for 08SGT2290
AAI Build Date 11/26/2007
Dispatched for Shipping (Shipment NO. 2787) 01/31/2008
Marked as SHIPPED from Las Vegas SAI 02/06/2008
New Vehicle Purchase Date 08/25/2009

HID/IUP/AMB/ANTI-THEFT/SAT/6-Way Seat/Leather Interior/Barrett Jackson Headrest & Console Covers
CDC Sequential Tail Lights/Shaker 1000-Rather have NAV/Shelby Billet Engine Cap Set

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield, here is the wisdom of life"

#69 OFFLINE   Wayne1948

Wayne1948

Team Shelby New Member

• Northeast Region
  • 437 posts
  • Joined 20-September 11
  • Region:Northeast
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

Shelby should always consider an automatic option - after all Carroll's original AC Cobra was (and still is ) an automatic.

#70 OFFLINE   SGT0225

SGT0225

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 893 posts
  • Joined 19-November 09
  • Region:Great Lakes

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

Debate is good. Couple of points

• GTS apparently has a V6, entry level connotation. Looking at build numbers 95% are V6
  • GTS not long in the market little brand equity
  • GT= V8, handling, Hurst Shifting, first pre-title program after a 40 yr. hiatus (high pent up demand)
  • Case could be made for both GTS=V6 application and GT=V8 application
  • The GT500 with 600 + HP will probably have a shorter life span than most think
  • The GT, if considered, would be a post title car with a target of 150 or less per year over a two year run, quick turn around and price pointed to a specific target group
  • Does not mean there will be no further development of the branding for the new body, engine, chassis design within the current Shelby Portfolio of vehicles
  • The market is at the point of saturation in the Mustang arena
Value....................I'll let my kids fight that battle. I'll be long gone by then. Then................there is only ONE Shelby. Every product has styling, performance and handling as a core. We believe we live Carroll's philosophy every day. Make them faster, handle better and look the part.

Dollar value...................get a Kia :)

Thanks for providing thought provoking conversation and keeping it on target. We do read the responses and discuss as a management team every week.

Roger

In one opinion the GTS being a V6 and V8 option car leads one to think of another tiny section of Shelby known as the CS6 and CS8.

In the future, I see the 650 hp GT500 going bye bye as soon as smaller mustangs start popping out of the assembly plant.

I heard rumors of a turbo 4 banger in a mustang pumping out 320 hp. That is so aggrivating cause my SGT has that. I am not happy about that.
FORD Gate Release:
12/4/2006
SHELBY Marked as SHIPPED
2/7/2007

First mod... Carroll's sig! DONE.

Other mods:

Shelby engine dress up kit
Shelby interior upgrade - absolutly Awsome! Best upgrade I could do
Shelby center console cover
Shelby windsheld banner
Shelby panhard bar
Shelby CS69 20" Wheels and tires
Craig front plate holder
Some day a Whipple.

#71 OFFLINE   SGT/SC#0471

SGT/SC#0471

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,494 posts
  • Joined 19-August 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:being totally uninterested.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Roger just a thanks for listening to us here on the forum. Thats pretty cool.

I am with Jer and El Shelby 100%....Keep em coming and I hope you guys build a million more...screw boring cars!

I see the placement now after your comment about the GTS cars ordered so far being V-6, a Shelby GT may make sense. But it would need serious marketing, I had no idea what a SGT was in 2007 until I saw one parked in a showroom, but I did know about the 500 and GTH at the time.

Could there be a Shelby GT with another marque as a base car...silly to some but it always seemed to me that Mr. Shelby was more into having a blast and hauling a** than the make of the vehicle?

Also I think a 4 banger rice beater Ford would be cool if it was priced low enough for say a 25 year old or younger person to afford with a decent job and making payments. If all the doomsters are right about the future of new serious V-8 muscle, this may be a savvy move to make in that direction to be ahead of the predicted curve and gain some performance market share in that arena before Rousch and others do.

2014 Corvette Z51, 2LT, MSRC, NPP, FAY, 7SP, TRANS TOP. My name is on the dash, (museum delivery).

SOLD: 

07SGT/SC. Driven! Rain or Shine, no refunds. Best 1/4 mile time 12.077 as equpped below.

Performance White, 5sp, iup, anti-theft, navigation. Whipple 550. 1st Customer 550 out of the SAI Mod Shop. (Thanks Budman!).

19x9/19x10 Saleen Heritage Wheels w/275/35 and 295/35 BFG KDW N2.
Brembo Front Calipers, Ferrodo DS2500 pads, Hawk HPS Rear pads, FRPP Brake cooling kit with custom intakes.
Goodridge SS lines and ATE Super Blue Fluid.
Functional Fiberglass SA scoop. Glassed over SA production Sticker.
MMS mufflers.

#72 OFFLINE   tko211

tko211

Zachary Sharples

• Members
  • Pip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 02-November 07

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hi Roger! Super cool that you throw us fans a bone and ask us to get involved with suggestions and such. I LOVE the SGT name plate and ultimately would love to still see them make another entry back into the marketplace... someday. I just wonder if the GTS program hurts or would confuse consumers on the differences. Take care my friend!

#73 OFFLINE   mach 1 1970

mach 1 1970

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • Joined 26-July 07
  • Interests:gas , oil & Coke collector --college baseball Ga Tech ,antiques , Motorhome traveling& vintage racing, RETIRED and travel to the AMALFI coast in Italy
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:15 AM

Yes very well said .

Edited by mach 1 1970, 10 May 2012 - 05:21 AM.

Current

2010 Shelby GT 500
1969 Z/28 Camaro crate motor 502 RamJet Pro Touring ( big block 645 HP ) the sound is amazing. 5 speed.

Past Fords over 33 years

2008 GT500KR
2005 FORD GT
1970 Mach1 (3)
1970 Boss 302 ( 3 )
1970 GT500
1969 GT350
1966 GT350
2003 Cobra SVT 10th annv.
2007 SGT
2001 Saleen
1971 Boss 351
2001 Cobra SVT
2011 GT500
2004 T-Bird
2006 Shelby GT-H
2012 Boss 302
2008 Shelby GT conv.

#74 OFFLINE   1965coupe

1965coupe

SGT 321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 325 posts
  • Joined 16-April 07

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

Here's something to consider about post-title vs pre-title: people buy cars on a whim. I bought my Shelby GT by simply walking into a dealership to return a brake caliper core. I was about 21 at the time, and paid sticker for it, without a markup.

Could that happen now? No. Well, maybe with a GT500 - but too much power, and a much higher price. Or maybe with a Boss, but I don't care for the new ones.

If I had to plan out a Shelby purchase (buy the base car, have it sent to SAI, pay for everything, etc.), there'd be too much time to 'sleep on it'. If I had time to think over my decision to purchase the '07 SGT, I wouldn't have bought it (come on, I was 21 and in college).

Last month, I was in the market for a Fusion or Focus. I was really set on the new Focus, or would have settled on a base Fusion. In reality, I ended up getting a loaded Fusion SE because it was all that was on the lot. My point - most people buy cars on a whim, regardless of research or decisions made in advance. If I were to walk into a dealership and had the option of buying a stock 5.0, a GT500, a Boss 302, or a newer version of the SGT, I'd go for the SGT.

But here's another thought (or two):
I really don't care for the new GT350s (sorry, I think the back is overdone, and the grill is too small).
The GTS' are weak looking - sorry - they just seem 'soft' compared to the Shelby GTs.

Really, nothing catches my eye like an '07/'08 SGT - they nailed it with the ride height, colors, stripes, etc.
If you were to bring back the Shelby GT line (which I'm all for), spend some time trying to emulate the '07 'theme' of the car.

As for price, it has to be less than a GT500.

Edited by 1965coupe, 10 May 2012 - 08:58 PM.

Chris

'65 Coupe- Featured in Mustang Monthly April 2005 "Kid Rocks"
'07 Shelby GT #321. Blk/blk, Shaker 1000, Pioneer AVIC, Charcoal IUP. DAILY DRIVER!
**Sirius trunk antenna converted to XM antenna - PM for details**
**Also have info on installing Pioneer NAV**

'00 Super Duty with '05 Front end
Posted Image

#75 OFFLINE   Troy

Troy

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 20-May 11
  • Region:Northern Plains
  • Interests:Anything with an engine and wheels and a few things that dont

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Personally I would love to see SAI produce a track ready version, thats somewhat affordable. I originally bought my SGT to convert into a track car, it was the first Mustang I saw that harkened back to its early roots, but I cant bring myself to take it off the road.

For me the whole reason for wanting to own a Shelby was its racing heritage.
CSM08SGT0206

#76 OFFLINE   jwestercamp

jwestercamp

Team Shelby Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 607 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09
  • Region:Mississippi Valley

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

Roger

Go for it. I think it would be sweet have some more cool cars. Agree with Jer buy them to drive em. A car is the worst investment ever A car purchase is an emotional decision otherwise we would all be driving a fusion Have fun

#77 OFFLINE   SGT3477

SGT3477

Team Shelby New Member

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 280 posts
  • Joined 17-August 10

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

my Boss told me i could pick any car under 40K. as a life long mustang owner i was able to narrow it down fairly quickly. the brand and model were decided before i said yes.
now, for me, i had a choice at the time of the GT, the SGT, Roush stage 1-2 ( used 3 ) used GT500. not counting looking back at the terminators or Mach1s of previous years.
since i already had a 1996 2v GT for a daily driver I was looking for something with a name, history. something unique.
I did all my "research" and shopping on the web. i never even saw my car in person before i signed up to sign the papers.
this slick, sleek, black, striped, shinny, low car with scops and no spoiler? has a stance and a "feel" like no other i came across. Mine came with "tri-bar"? spinners/type center caps. none of the others i have ever seen yet has these. ? just me?

i got it, installed SHR Qtr window inserts, blacked out the windows and lights
i could not for along time quite put my finger on "what" drew me to this car. after about a month my bosses wife came up and said "I get it. that car is "Sexy" "

i have yet to see another that gives me that "warm and fuzzy" feeling Everytime i look at it.
5 years and i still look back every time i walk away

when the day comes where i look back and Do Not think. " damn That is the best looking car ever" is the day ill list it for sale. but, at my age (43) i dont see that happening anytime soon.

These cars are Sexy! ;)
Edit: meant to say, unless you can get "it" right again.. dont bother making another. dont do it -just to do it-. you really nailed it with the 07-08SGT. Thank you!

Edited by SGT3477, 20 May 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#78 OFFLINE   fastlaneford

fastlaneford

FastlaneFord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 19-December 10
  • Interests:Fords Music Gals (not necessarily in that order!)

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Guys ... dumb question here (or maybe just dumb of SAI to name this car GTS...) but what does the "S" in GTS actually stand for???

I can't find this info anywhere on Shelby website.

SGT - Shelby GT
SGT-H - Hertz
SGT/SC - Shelby GT Supercharged

GT500KR - King of the Road
GT500SS - Super Snake

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

I can't find this info on Shelby website.

Fastlane Ford
==08SGT2247==

==BJ SGT/SC===

RC@fastlanefords.com

Current Fords:

CSM - 08SGT2247 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, Automatic. Kenne Bell S/C, Signed by "The Man" (and a few others)

2008 Ford F150 Reg Cab FX2 5.4L

1966 Ford Mustang Coupe 289, 5speed

Previous Fords:
CSM - 07SGT2526 - White Coupe, Naturally Aspirated with 396chp / 337rwhp

#79 OFFLINE   ARMORINE

ARMORINE

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 19-February 09

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

id be all up for a new Shelby GT. but it really needs to emulate the 07/08. loved the hoodscoop(after i got it fixed haha) seriously the hood scoop is really what i feel made this car pop and look aggressive. you put rivets on a car and its instantly cool.

would really like to see something more then 150 units, this just gives the collectors a chance to snatch them up and lock them away were no one will ever see them(I HATE THIS). id say atleast 1000. i dont want a new SGT to suffer the fate of the Cobra R's(seriously) i dont want to see SGT's still in factory wrappings on ebay 5-10 years after theyr built, theyr meant to be driven no put away forever.

any one who thinks their SGT is going to be worth alot in their life time is delusional. they'll appreciate one day but it will be far in the future. too many are around and too many are in great condition and being well maintained. the old muscle cars are worth alot because there are not many that survived, alot made, most blew their motors, were driven into the ground, crashed, mistreated, sent to scrapper. that's why they're valuable, and most of all because people can identify with them as cool, fast and most of all fun.

id put more emphasis on hp this time around. definitely need 450hp and it definitely needs good brakes. the suspension on the 07/08s was pretty good for the time. id like to see something like that again(there's always room for upgrades no matter how well built a car is)
having a 9 second ricer is like coming out of the closet, at first you surprise every one but at the end of the day your still gay
man kind has earned the right to rule this planet by occasionally producing someone totally bats#$t insane

#80 OFFLINE   dh777

dh777

08SGT0994

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,322 posts
  • Joined 01-August 07
  • Interests:.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

DeWayne

Posted Image
3 Blue Mustangs
1965 coupe - Caspian Blue 289 automatic coupe
2008 SGT/SC Vista Blue - 08SGT0994 - SAI SGT/SC package with HO polished Whipple, 3.73 and Kicker system. 507 RWHP and 497 Torque
2009 Terlingua - Vista Blue - 09TRT0402 - Possibly the first factory glass roof Shelby. The only Vista Blue, the only glass top and the first performance automatic Terlingua - Quantum built performance package - - 3.73, Kicker system and interior upgrade. Many other upgrades and mods.
THE BAD HARE

#81 OFFLINE   TheKurgan

TheKurgan

Fast Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,032 posts
  • Joined 09-January 08
  • Interests:Racing,Flyfishing,Kayaking

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Should of gone with my Shelby KT idea lol.
07 SGT - JDM302E, Paxton Novi 1500, Spec 3+, FRPP cams/intake/TB, Kooks, Tial 50mm BOV - 637 rwhp/547 rwtq - Tuned by VMP

Posted Image

#82 OFFLINE   ARMORINE

ARMORINE

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 19-February 09

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

we need another run of SGT....hopefully after i get done with engineering hahah
having a 9 second ricer is like coming out of the closet, at first you surprise every one but at the end of the day your still gay
man kind has earned the right to rule this planet by occasionally producing someone totally bats#$t insane

#83 OFFLINE   SGT3477

SGT3477

Team Shelby New Member

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 280 posts
  • Joined 17-August 10

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

im down under the 10K mark on mine. it will be paid off soon. i am hoping my Boss extends the offer again. at which time ill be looking in the 40K range....i have been searching BOSSs if i was to go brand new...but,
my psycosis(sp) with the 07/08 SGT is so bad im actually just shopping for a super low miles car 08 blue...to "park" for a few years while i continue my daily blast of adrenealine in my 07.
if you release a new model, in that time frame, in that price/performance range and you nail the asthetics again.. that will be my goto new car....otherwise..ill just start my collection of 07/08s. ... and some day Pinky we will use them to take over the world!!! Muhahaha!!

Edited by SGT3477, 10 December 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#84 OFFLINE   ARMORINE

ARMORINE

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 19-February 09

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

but brain!!!! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users