#1 OFFLINE   leviathon

leviathon

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 20-May 12
  • Region:Other
  • Interests:I am a full time college student while working full time as a assistant manager for advance auto parts. When Im not doing that I am converting my car to a shelby...
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

So maybe I'm reading this different. But its possible to convert your mustang into a Shelby? Just by buying the required parts

#2 OFFLINE   greaser

greaser

i am the knight rider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 24-January 08
  • Region:Great Lakes

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

since the cs6 and cs8 officially no unofficially yep. If you want one you can put in the registry you have to have a shelby approved shop do it.
Posted Image
2007 SGT #4493 (performance white gt premium, light graphite leather, shaker 500, auto trany, IUP, active anti theft, wheel locks, and heated seats.)---mods--- bamachips tune(WOW), steeda underdrive pullies, ported and polished TB, anderson power pipe, berg cap, 20 inch anthracite rims, sequential tails, and quarter window block off plates, HID headlights, shorty antenna, A arm brace, riveted hood pin plates.
1989 CSX-VNT #267 (recaros)---mods--- none

"Buying, modifying, and driving sports cars is an expensive hobby. If you want good resale, buy a low mileage used Honda Accord." Chip Beck

pm me with your amsoil and mothers needs

#3 OFFLINE   leviathon

leviathon

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 20-May 12
  • Interests:I am a full time college student while working full time as a assistant manager for advance auto parts. When Im not doing that I am converting my car to a shelby...
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:01 AM

Why can't we build our own Shelby? Hell that's what Carroll did.

#4 OFFLINE   Wayne1948

Wayne1948

Team Shelby New Member

• Northeast Region
  • 428 posts
  • Joined 20-September 11
  • Region:Northeast
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:19 AM

We're NOT Carroll
Build your own and call it the LEVIATHON that would be OK

#5 OFFLINE   leviathon

leviathon

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 20-May 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

There's no need to get defensive and I apologize of I came off harsh. I'm just wondering why we can't install the parts ourselves and have it registered

#6 OFFLINE   SHELBYCS6

SHELBYCS6

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07
  • Region:Canada

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

since the cs6 and cs8 officially no unofficially yep. If you want one you can put in the registry you have to have a shelby approved shop do it.

The CS6 / CS8 program was the first "Shelby" offering on a Ford product in 35 years and was first shown at Sema in 2005 before any other current modern day Shelby was available.
It was designed to allow you to build a "Shelby" at your own pace but the parts and labour costs with the price of a new vehicle pushed the price of a full turn II vehicle close to GT500 territory so it was not very successful.
The program was discontinued a couple of years ago so purchasing all the required components now would be next to impossible.
If you purchased all required component parts at the time you either received a "Turn I" dash plaque or "turn II" if you added the supercharged package.
I think there was less than 25 cars ever completed.

It was not a requirement to have a Shelby authorized shop build the car to have it in the registry, you simply had to have SAI verify all components were purchased and installed with invoice copies and photographs of the completed vehicle.

As far as being a "true Shelby"...Amy always said..."Carroll has one and to him it's a real Shelby"..so I guess that's good enough for me.

#7 ONLINE   JeffJ

JeffJ

Hertz #102

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 4,009 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07
  • Region:Mountain

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

ShelbyCS6 described the program above very well. At the time, this program helped get Shelby Amerian going again. It was offerred for a very short time and no longer is. Have you looked into a GTS? It would be very hard pressed to buy the parts and put them on yourself for very much less than the base GTS package. So the answer is simple. It is no longer offerred, they build the GTS today if you want a registered Shelby. It is a great package.
JeffJ
2006 Shelby GTH-SC #102
2013 Roush RS - Daily Driver
1993 F150 Lightning #711
1989 AutoKraft/Kenny Brown Short Wheel Base T-bird #001 with a 1969 Supercharged Boss 302 5 speed
1994 AutoKraft Short Wheel Base Lincoln MK VIII #006
1999 F-350 Powerstoke Pony Hauler (Both 4 legged and 4 tired!)
1990 7-Up LX 5.0 Convert - Auto (current basket case, building for my daughter's first car)
1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster 5.0 supercharged Ford V-8
1972 Ford F100 Shortbed 390 auto
1973 Datsun 610 302 Ford V8 power, drift and road race car.
1951 Ford F6 Dump Truck powered by 1985 Ford roller 5.0, full tilt font, can haul 6 tons of rock and run a 18.0 quarter!
2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 V8
2004 Chrysler Crossfire 3.2 Mecedes V-6 6 speed - wife's daily driver

#8 OFFLINE   leviathon

leviathon

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 20-May 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:00 AM

I take it you completed yours into one of the few? Congratulations on that man

#9 OFFLINE   greaser

greaser

i am the knight rider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 24-January 08

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

The CS6 / CS8 program was the first "Shelby" offering on a Ford product in 35 years and was first shown at Sema in 2005 before any other current modern day Shelby was available.
It was designed to allow you to build a "Shelby" at your own pace but the parts and labour costs with the price of a new vehicle pushed the price of a full turn II vehicle close to GT500 territory so it was not very successful.
The program was discontinued a couple of years ago so purchasing all the required components now would be next to impossible.
If you purchased all required component parts at the time you either received a "Turn I" dash plaque or "turn II" if you added the supercharged package.
I think there was less than 25 cars ever completed.

It was not a requirement to have a Shelby authorized shop build the car to have it in the registry, you simply had to have SAI verify all components were purchased and installed with invoice copies and photographs of the completed vehicle.

As far as being a "true Shelby"...Amy always said..."Carroll has one and to him it's a real Shelby"..so I guess that's good enough for me.

I think you may have misunderstood me. I said since the cs6 and 8 you have to have an approved shop build your Shelby. I didn't imply that the cs ones had to be. I wish they still had the cs program I would have loved to build my own real Shelby.
Posted Image
2007 SGT #4493 (performance white gt premium, light graphite leather, shaker 500, auto trany, IUP, active anti theft, wheel locks, and heated seats.)---mods--- bamachips tune(WOW), steeda underdrive pullies, ported and polished TB, anderson power pipe, berg cap, 20 inch anthracite rims, sequential tails, and quarter window block off plates, HID headlights, shorty antenna, A arm brace, riveted hood pin plates.

"Buying, modifying, and driving sports cars is an expensive hobby. If you want good resale, buy a low mileage used Honda Accord." Chip Beck

#10 OFFLINE   leviathon

leviathon

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 20-May 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

I understand the point of it. I'm just sad that a great man is gone. But I set out to build my own and that's what I'll do. To bad not many people do that anymore

#11 OFFLINE   SHELBYCS6

SHELBYCS6

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

I take it you completed yours into one of the few? Congratulations on that man

I'm a very proud owner of a CS6 convertibleTurn II vehicle which is one of only a couple ever built.

#12 OFFLINE   SHELBYCS6

SHELBYCS6

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

I think you may have misunderstood me. I said since the cs6 and 8 you have to have an approved shop build your Shelby. I didn't imply that the cs ones had to be. I wish they still had the cs program I would have loved to build my own real Shelby.

Yes, I did misunderstand sorry, my mistake

#13 OFFLINE   Helix

Helix

Lincoln Cobra

• Great Lakes Region
  • 832 posts
  • Joined 27-July 11

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

I'm a very proud owner of a CS6 convertibleTurn II vehicle which is one of only a couple ever built.

Impressive. :victory:
I wouldn't think that there is a way to register a non-Shelby mustang as a Shelby in any way anymore except a package at SA. No reason you can't still build up a heck of a Mustang.

347tjwk.jpgzuscip.jpg

2003 Mustang
1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC

#14 OFFLINE   mikeypillz1993

mikeypillz1993

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 25-May 12

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

just a question i tried calling Shelby American and got no answer left a message and didn't get a call however I'm really close to being done with the conversion. I have every single part on my car except the brakes and suspension. If I do save up more money to buy the brakes and suspension can I take it to an authorized Shelby Shop and possibly get it registered as a Shelby. I'm hearing the program is shut; sell it and buy a gts etc. This is my first car I'm only 18 and I'm proud I somehow managed to save $10grand so far just on parts and installation.

#15 OFFLINE   greaser

greaser

i am the knight rider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 24-January 08

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

just a question i tried calling Shelby American and got no answer left a message and didn't get a call however I'm really close to being done with the conversion. I have every single part on my car except the brakes and suspension. If I do save up more money to buy the brakes and suspension can I take it to an authorized Shelby Shop and possibly get it registered as a Shelby. I'm hearing the program is shut; sell it and buy a gts etc. This is my first car I'm only 18 and I'm proud I somehow managed to save $10grand so far just on parts and installation.

Did you get the CS kit or have you just put together parts off different cars? If you have the CS kit i would think you could still get it registered but if its just a bunch of different parts you cant but that doesnt mean you dont have a sweet ride.
Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   SHELBYCS6

SHELBYCS6

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:29 AM

Unless you have every single item on the list, the answer will be no .

SAI requests a faxed invoice copy of all components purchased and where they were purchased from.

You also have to send photographs of the completed vehicle.

Things like the Razor wheels or factory graphics must be installed and all items purchased from Shelby or an authorized sales outlet.

When the vehilce is completed you will be issued a dash plaque indicating a "turn I" or "turn II" vehicle and then once you have everything done they will enter the vehicle in the resistry but no CSM number will ever be issued.

The GTS is a great vehicle with a combenation of CS6 / GT350 looks, is registered and has a CSM number as it is completed at a authirized mod shop or SAI directly.

Edited by SHELBYCS6, 26 May 2012 - 02:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users