Creekdaddy

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12
  • Region:Mountain

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hello, i have a 2007 Shelby GT500, bought it a yearago and there is a grinding noise coming from the front left wheel. I took it into ford to have the oil changed and asked them to check the brakes but they said the brakes were fine so i took it home and removed the tire and tried to figure it out myself but i cannot find anything wrong please pass on any suggestions, thank you.

#2 OFFLINE   Albino500

Albino500

Team Shelby Racer

• 1,992 posts
  • Joined 19-March 12
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Road Racing my Shelby GT and cruising my GT500

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

When does it make noise ? All the time , with or without the brakes being applied , only in a turn ( to the left or to the right ) did you grab the wheel /tire while up in the air and see if there is play in the wheel bearing ? Did you spin the wheel /tire and hear the noise ? Give us a clue to help narrow it down for you .
2007 GT500 Built on 7/27/2006
#918 of a build of 8152 coupes
#212 of 2252 in Performance White

Member of Terlingua Racing Team
Member of the "Clean Butt Club" - Class of 2010
2012 Shelby American 50th Anniversary Vegas Bash Car Show "Class" Award Winner

2007 SGT-California Edition Built on 5/15/2007
CSM#07SGT4755
1 of 89 Shelby GT-California Editions done in Performance White/Silver Stripes
Converted to " SCCA SMG Class " race car - 2/04/2013

#3 OFFLINE   E.Marquez

E.Marquez

GearHead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts
  • Joined 10-February 12
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

I just had to replace a hub bearing on our 2007 16k or so miles...,,, Clunk and grinding noise was what led me to check um.

Left one was fine.,but our right one had some water intrusion in the outer bearing and it destroyed it.
Lateral G-forces make me smile.

#4 OFFLINE   Creekdaddy

Creekdaddy

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12
  • Region:Mountain

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

It makes the noise when i slow down and apply the brakes i also hear a clunk when i back out of my driveway to the left, and there is excess wear on the inside of the tire to the radials. Also i noticed excess grease around the bearing hub.
I suspect that it is the wheel bearings and hub assembly but am looking for greater wisdom than mine on this topic as my knowledge of car work is very limited. Thank you for any input.

#5 OFFLINE   car dude

car dude

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Joined 18-January 10
  • Interests:Cars,Fishing, Golf,Wife and kids

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

I just had to replace a hub bearing on our 2007 16k or so miles...,,, Clunk and grinding noise was what led me to check um.

Left one was fine.,but our right one had some water intrusion in the outer bearing and it destroyed it.

thanks for that bit of information .my car makes a clunking noise and we did not
Check the wheel bearing.
[ img]http://Posted Image[/img]

#6 OFFLINE   Albino500

Albino500

Team Shelby Racer

• 1,992 posts
  • Joined 19-March 12
  • Interests:Road Racing my Shelby GT and cruising my GT500

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

I have run across a couple of S197 Mustangs/Shelbys that the front wheel bearing has had the nut back off some .Pull the tire off and take a small screwdriver blade to pop off the black dust cap to get to the wheel bearing nut . Check the torque first of all ( I believe it's 221-290 ft/lbs.) Also look for any rust and/or play ( usually check for play with the tire on for better leverage ) A bad front wheel bearing will make a louder noise while turning (side load) like a rumble and / or clicking than when in a straight ahead position. The wheel hub has 2 ball bearings in it - not like the old days of tapered roller bearings . If you only have excessive wear on only one tire then you have a tire problem - replace it before it blows because it has an internal problem. If both front tires have excessive inner wear then you have some thing that is causing too much " TOE OUT " which could be play in either a steering component (inner or outer tie rod end) or in a suspension component (excessive play in lower ball joint , loose wheel bearing , bad inner pivot bushing) or a bad wheel alignment. Of all the things listed above the only thing that will contribute to a grinding noise and/or clunk is the wheel bearing .

Edited by Albino500, 02 June 2012 - 07:32 PM.

2007 GT500 Built on 7/27/2006
#918 of a build of 8152 coupes
#212 of 2252 in Performance White

Member of Terlingua Racing Team
Member of the "Clean Butt Club" - Class of 2010
2012 Shelby American 50th Anniversary Vegas Bash Car Show "Class" Award Winner

2007 SGT-California Edition Built on 5/15/2007
CSM#07SGT4755
1 of 89 Shelby GT-California Editions done in Performance White/Silver Stripes
Converted to " SCCA SMG Class " race car - 2/04/2013

#7 OFFLINE   ntilehman

ntilehman

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 13-September 11

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

First off there are different types of tread wear. You could have feathering which is caused.by.incorrect toe, inner or outer wear is caused by excessive camber in one direction. I would look heavily on the wheel bearings. If they are loose that wheel will have excessive negative camber and wear the inside of the tire. Hope this helps. I work on them all the time.

#8 OFFLINE   08KR525

08KR525

08KR525

• Great Lakes Region
  • 817 posts
  • Joined 30-October 09
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Interests:Family, Performance vehicles, antiques.

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

I think everyone agrees. Replace the inner and outer wheel bearings and replace the races while your at it
Use the appropriate wheel bearing grease and call it a day.
" My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people; those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition." - Indira Ghandi.

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

#9 OFFLINE   E.Marquez

E.Marquez

GearHead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts
  • Joined 10-February 12
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

I think everyone agrees. Replace the inner and outer wheel bearings and replace the races while your at it
Use the appropriate wheel bearing grease and call it a day.

Actually, it would be replace the unitized hub.. which has two bearings in it... The S197 mustang, all models uses a unitized hub..

So go here
http://www.tousleyfo...771&catalogid=0

order the hub, retaining nut and dust cap, you'll need a 36mm socket, breaker bar and a TQ Wrench that will do 221 FTLB

Edited by E.Marquez, 30 June 2012 - 02:55 PM.

Lateral G-forces make me smile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users