#1 OFFLINE   54First

54First

Grouchy Old Guy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 243 posts
  • Joined 09-September 08

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

Nobody's mentioned this in a long time and there seems to be a second generation of 07-09 modders appearing.

The two most likely clunks from the rear of the car are driveline lash and UCAs. This fix addresses the UCAs. If you installed a urethane bushed UCA from the aftermarket and used the factory front UCA bracket, you're guaranteed a clunk. All the UCAs, factory and aftermarket, use a 14mm bolt in the front. Ford, in their infinite wisdom, put a 16mm hole in their bracket. There are two fixes. The best is to use the fabricated bracket from your UCA vendor. Second, Steeda (555-4110 - $9.45 at Summit) and UMI (1058 - $7.99 from UMI) make a stepped spacer that reduces the factory hole to 14mm. Needless to mention, proper torque (129 lb/ft) is also a must.

Steve

Edited by 54First, 24 June 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   jnf

jnf

Team Shelby Member

• Mountain Region
  • 948 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08
  • Region:Mountain

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

I found my "clunks" to be coming from a bad spherical bearing in he LCA. Drove me crazy for 3 weeks until I got back under there with the suspension loaded and was able to move the LCA with my hand.
Couldn't agree with you more about replacing the UCA bracket while changing the UCA.
The aftermarket ones are much "beefier" than the stock one.
And yes, torque specs are a must as well as applying grease at every step as specified by the manufacturer.
Jim

07 GT 500 Coupe
White w/ Vista Blue stripes
SLP Loud mouth exhaust
Ford Racing Short Throw with Shelby Ball
Custom CS 69 Special Edition 20" wheels
BMR Upper and lower control arms and brackets
BMR panhard bar, brace and relocation bracket
Eibach Pro lowering springs struts and shocks with front and rear sway bars
Shelby adjustable front end links
VMP 2.59 pulley and tune
JLT Big Air carbon fiber CAI