Team Shelby New Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 25-December 11
  • Region:Northern Plains
  • Interests:farming and ranching, travelling, grandkids and car shows
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

We are going on our first road trip of any distance with the Shelby 500. Can you all tell me what precautions you take when travelling for an overnight stay at a motel or any other things to be aware of. We live in a part of the country that doesn't have any of those problems but I know that isn't the norm. Thanks. :shades:

#2 OFFLINE   Bill Hamilton

Bill Hamilton

Mustang Owner and Driver since 1970

• South Atlantic Region
  • 872 posts
  • Joined 21-September 10
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:Mustangs and Aviation

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Not sure what your concerns are other than the normal things. Park near the front office in a well lite area if theft concerns you. Park away from the entries and exits as most people try to park near them if door dings worry you. If you have the room in your trunk you may want to carry a car cover. Other than that it's a great traveling vehicle and enjoy your trip. B)
Bill Hamilton
USAF Retired

2014 Mustang Shelby GT-500
1970 Mustang Mach 1
2011 Mustang Shelby GT-500

- VMP 2.59" Pulley and Tune
- Barton GT500 Shifter (MRT Installed by Scott Hoag)
- MRT Hood Struts
- Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft

#3 OFFLINE   glroy

glroy

Team Shelby Member

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 1,504 posts
  • Joined 05-February 08
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Road trips
    car shows
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

We have never had an issue with the Shelby and road trips. We have about 40,000 miles worth to date with more to come. It is common sense mostly if you don’t’ feel comfortable leave! There is always a better place down the road. Never valet your car!!!!!

Jay Leno: "Never give your car to a valet... One time I did it. I brought my car, I said, 'Just valet. No one's going to do anything. It'll be fine.' And I valeted.
"About a week later a guy says, 'Hey, we were racing the other day.' I said, 'When?' And he said, 'Up and down [a street in Hollywood].' I go, 'No I was in a restaurant.' The valet was in my car racing up and down the street!"

We use the Marriott chain medium to low high end. No problems with outside on property parking. Beware parkades there always seems to be a hidden curb somewhere, ramps that an SUV would bottom out on, and weird liquid that drips from the roof of the parkade that eats through your paint. If you use them just pay attention!!

You will know when you are some where you don’t want to be. A good clue is cars on the street with no tires. LOL

Just enjoy; you will meet more people who have stories about Shelbys and mustangs than you could imagine. Don’t try to keep it clean it is impossible clean it up when you get home and the stone chips well they all have great memories attached.
Get yourself a paint sharpie and make sure it is working. Your can never tell who you might run into on your trip Parnelli Jones, Don the Snake Prudome, or even your favourite wine maker. Lots of room inside the trunk for signatures.

Glen
Vehicle
2007 Shelby GT500
Last Updated Apr 09 2013 10:37 AM

Vehicle
1993 Mustang GT
Last Updated Apr 09 2013 10:36 AM

Vehicle
2013 Shelby GT500
Last Updated Apr 09 2013 10:36 AM

Mods by

Mackenzie's Mustang Supply

It's worth the trip

• Metco 2.80" Upper Pulley
  • MAC Custom axle back mufflers W/4"tips
  • Steeda Extreme Duty Billitt Lower Control Arms
  • Adjustable Upper Rear Control Arm
  • Maximum Motorsports Adjustable Pan Hard Bar
  • H&R Rear Lowering Springs
  • Painted Rear End
  • SPEC Twin SS Clutch and Flywheel
  • KR Axle Reservoir
  • Shelby/Baer Racing Black 6 Piston brakes, Slotted and Drilled 14" Front and 13" Rear Baer Rotors
  • Innovators West 10% Overdrive Balancer
  • Shelby Shifter Warranty; no more rattle in 2nd (having the first is not always the best)
  • Dynotech 1 Piece Driveshaft
  • Maximum Motorsports/Shelby Camber/Caster Plates W/ Spherical Bearing
  • H&R Front & Rear Sway Bars W/ Billet End Links
  • Tokico D-Spec 16 way Adjustable Shocks & Struts
  • Dynotech racing stainless long tube headers, X pipe, 200 cell high flow cats
  • Steeda lower control arm relocation brackets (welded)
  • JLT oil separator
  • hood struts

Mods by
ME

• Steeda HE
  • JLT Carbon Fiber Intake and Mass Air Meter
  • Carbon Fiber KR Mirror Covers
  • Install and mod the Shelby dead pedal (it now stays in place)
  • GT500 sill plates and dash plaque

Mods by
others

• Shelby interior upgrade
  • 373's
  • Detroit Truetrac
  • Build Date 02-22-07

#4 OFFLINE   verlyn12

verlyn12

Team Shelby New Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 25-December 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

Thanks-those are the type of things we were wondering about=for example does the car cover draw more attention than the car itself? Saw on tv this morning that stealing tires and wheels attached is a big deal now. Also, I thought I read on one of the posts that there is an application for the I phone that tracks the car if stolen-does anyone know how that works? Thanks for all the info-particularly like the idea of signatures in the trunk-never would have thought of that!

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Hamilton

Bill Hamilton

Mustang Owner and Driver since 1970

• South Atlantic Region
  • 872 posts
  • Joined 21-September 10
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:Mustangs and Aviation

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

Thanks-those are the type of things we were wondering about=for example does the car cover draw more attention than the car itself? Saw on tv this morning that stealing tires and wheels attached is a big deal now. Also, I thought I read on one of the posts that there is an application for the I phone that tracks the car if stolen-does anyone know how that works? Thanks for all the info-particularly like the idea of signatures in the trunk-never would have thought of that!

You can always go with a "Lo-Jack" system if that's a concern. If someone wants the car bad enough, they get it. You should have the locking factory lugs on the wheels now. There again, a thief who wants it bad enough will twist them off and keep going. Nothings 100%, you just hope there are enough deterrents to slow them down and make it not worth their time to steal. A car cover can call attention to a car but most people will just wonder and move on. You can't be afraid to drive and enjoy it. Remember it's just a "car" and that's why we have insurance. (LOL) You may not believe that last sentence but if you can convince yourself it's true, you'll enjoy your trip much better.
Bill Hamilton
USAF Retired

2014 Mustang Shelby GT-500
1970 Mustang Mach 1
2011 Mustang Shelby GT-500

- VMP 2.59" Pulley and Tune
- Barton GT500 Shifter (MRT Installed by Scott Hoag)
- MRT Hood Struts
- Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft

#6 OFFLINE   verlyn12

verlyn12

Team Shelby New Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 25-December 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

You can always go with a "Lo-Jack" system if that's a concern. If someone wants the car bad enough, they get it. You should have the locking factory lugs on the wheels now. There again, a thief who wants it bad enough will twist them off and keep going. Nothings 100%, you just hope there are enough deterrents to slow them down and make it not worth their time to steal. A car cover can call attention to a car but most people will just wonder and move on. You can't be afraid to drive and enjoy it. Remember it's just a "car" and that's why we have insurance. (LOL) You may not believe that last sentence but if you can convince yourself it's true, you'll enjoy your trip much better.

I certainly agree that if a thief wants something bad enough, they will get it. We do have the locking lugs and have never had a problem in our travels. Lived in Las Vegas a couple of years and never worried just paid attention to surroundings etc. I guess the saying "drive it like you stole it" applies and that's what we will do and enjoy the ride. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users