SLAMiAM

Come and Get Them

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 26-August 10
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Any good install threads for American racing headers w/o cats 1 7/8 on a 2008 GT500? Pics would be great! Lesson learned and "watch out for..." is also welcome.

Thanks
Molon Labe

#2 OFFLINE   72-Mustang

72-Mustang

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 25-September 09
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

to add on to SLAMiAM's post has anyone installed the 2" ARH headers and can you remove the transmission to access the clutch with ANY of there headers?

Engine:
Whipple mono blade TB
2.6" Metco Pulley
C&L Cold Air Kit
Metco Belt Tensioner

Thump RRR racing Tensioner
Innovators West 10% over Harmonic Balancer
Jon Lund Tune

Cooling:
AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger

Moroso rad, heat exchanger, power steering fluid tanks in black podercoat

Drivetrain:

Strange 9" with 3.50 richmond gears
FRPP Shifter
FRPP Black Shift Knob and Handle
Drive shaft shop 3.5" Aluminum 1-Piece Driveshaft

Exhaust:
Bassani Long tubes, off-road mid pipes, home made H-pipe, 18" glass packs

Styling:
Shelby GT500 Super Snake Quarter Window Scoops
Shelby Quarter Widow Interior Trim (Block Off Plate)
Shelby CS6 Side Scoops
Trufiber venom II hood with twist lock hood pins
25% Lumar tint on all windows

Suspension:
Griggs Racing GR40TT

Dyno
Stock = 441 rwhp & 454 rwtq
Now 687 rwhp & 700 rwtq on C-16

#3 OFFLINE   zombeast

zombeast

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 292 posts
  • Joined 16-May 09

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:28 AM

I did a couple of 1 7/8" ARH installs. First one was on a friends car. During the install the stock motor mounts were swapped out for some billet lowering mounts to fit the KB blower. This made access to a few bolt/studs a bit easier. The k-member was also carefully lowered a tad. You may want to make some marks before doing this, so when you tighten it back up, you will lessen the need for a wheel alignment. Not 100% sure, but I think we also loosened or removed the trans crossmember. Because of the lowering mounts, a couple of primaries had to be dimpled on the driver's side to clear the steering shaft. I also think we removed the starter, but again, not 100% sure.

Other tips:
You should remove the battery and tray for access to the EGR valve connection on the passenger side.
You will be reusing the factory gaskets.
Don't get hung up on trying to use all the ARH supplied header bolts. You'll need to reuse some of the factory studs/nuts in some areas.
Be careful/patient not to cross thread or strip the holes in the aluminum head.
Don't drink, take your time, and be prepared for a little cursing. I did my car by myself, and I think I invented a few curse words. LOL!

On my car, I swapped out the K-member for an engine lowering tubular unit which made things alot easier. Since I knew I would need an alignment, I pushed the k-member to the passenger side for a little extra clearance with the steering shaft. I only had to dimple the #3 primary tube.

Posted Image

I had my car up on a lift at my tuner's shop, and he said he thought the trans could come out without touching the headers. IMO, I think one side may have to be loosened up just a little.

Good Luck!

#4 OFFLINE   hydro

hydro

hydro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 13-July 07
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Flying Airplanes,Drag racing,making money.Inventor,Received a US Patent on a Deepreach Compound Joint Plier sold on all Snapon trucks,Designed the L&M TB and Plenum seeing how much power they make over all other available Throttle Bodies and Plenums is very gratifying.My car recently at Haldeman Ford 4/19/14 with a TVS put down 798.6rwhp sae corrected on the 3rd pull when it was pretty warm.Tuned by Jim LaRocca

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

I did a couple of 1 7/8" ARH installs. First one was on a friends car. During the install the stock motor mounts were swapped out for some billet lowering mounts to fit the KB blower. This made access to a few bolt/studs a bit easier. The k-member was also carefully lowered a tad. You may want to make some marks before doing this, so when you tighten it back up, you will lessen the need for a wheel alignment. Not 100% sure, but I think we also loosened or removed the trans crossmember. Because of the lowering mounts, a couple of primaries had to be dimpled on the driver's side to clear the steering shaft. I also think we removed the starter, but again, not 100% sure.

Other tips:
You should remove the battery and tray for access to the EGR valve connection on the passenger side.
Don't get hung up on trying to use all the ARH supplied header bolts. You'll need to reuse some of the factory studs/nuts in some areas.
Don't drink, take your time, and be prepared for a little cursing. I did my car by myself, and I think I invented a few curse words. LOL!

On my car, I swapped out the K-member for an engine lowering tubular unit which made things alot easier. Since I knew I would need an alignment, I pushed the k-member to the passenger side for a little extra clearance with the steering shaft. I only had to dimple the #3 primary tube.

Posted Image

I had my car up on a lift at my tuner's shop, and he said he thought the trans could come out without touching the headers. IMO, I think one side may have to be loosened up just a little.

Good Luck!

#5 OFFLINE   hydro

hydro

hydro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 13-July 07
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Flying Airplanes,Drag racing,making money.Inventor,Received a US Patent on a Deepreach Compound Joint Plier sold on all Snapon trucks,Designed the L&M TB and Plenum seeing how much power they make over all other available Throttle Bodies and Plenums is very gratifying.My car recently at Haldeman Ford 4/19/14 with a TVS put down 798.6rwhp sae corrected on the 3rd pull when it was pretty warm.Tuned by Jim LaRocca

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Other tips:

Posted Image

Good Luck!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: headers, arh, american, racing, install

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users