klastinger

Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 118 posts
  • Joined 21-November 11
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:Cars, outdoors, and biking.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

I am installing the upgraded Shelby Rotors on the Front and Rear of my car along with Ceramic Hawk pads. In reading the information with the rotors it states that I need to "season" the rotors. Do I need to do this before changing out the pads?

In reading the information it appears that I need to season the new rotors, and once that is done then istall and break-in the pads. Is this the normal method for the best brake effectiveness and longivity?
2012 Shelby GT500 - White, Stripe Delete. Recaros, and Navigation. Suspension: Koni Sport Shocks/Struts, Steeda Springs, Mounts, and Swaybars. Shelby Lower Control Arms and Billet Watts Link. Performance: Corsa Exhaust, JLT Intake, Shelby Oil Catch Cans, AirRaid Filter. Steeda Pulley. Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, and Tunes. Drivetrain: MGW Shifter. Driveshaft Shop Carbon Fiber Driveshaft. Shelby Brake upgrades. Wheels and Tires: Shelby/Alcoa 50th Anniversary Rims, and Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

#2 OFFLINE   E.Marquez

E.Marquez

GearHead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts
  • Joined 10-February 12
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

Cleaning them oil and grease free before, then again after install is important..

Then,
Here is STOPTECH's take on it
http://www.stoptech....-and-procedures

Though I call it bedding.. not seasoning.. If you choose to season yours.. I'd suggest a dry rub...... :lol:

Edited by E.Marquez, 15 July 2012 - 04:52 AM.

Lateral G-forces make me smile.

#3 OFFLINE   klastinger

klastinger

Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 118 posts
  • Joined 21-November 11

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for the help. BAER calls for seasoning the rotors by progressive heating and cooling.

Cleaning then oil and grease free before, then again after install is important..

Then,
Here is STOPTECH's take on it
http://www.stoptech....-and-procedures

Though I call it bedding.. not seasoning.. If you choose to season yours.. I'd suggest a dry rub...... :lol:

2012 Shelby GT500 - White, Stripe Delete. Recaros, and Navigation. Suspension: Koni Sport Shocks/Struts, Steeda Springs, Mounts, and Swaybars. Shelby Lower Control Arms and Billet Watts Link. Performance: Corsa Exhaust, JLT Intake, Shelby Oil Catch Cans, AirRaid Filter. Steeda Pulley. Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, and Tunes. Drivetrain: MGW Shifter. Driveshaft Shop Carbon Fiber Driveshaft. Shelby Brake upgrades. Wheels and Tires: Shelby/Alcoa 50th Anniversary Rims, and Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

#4 OFFLINE   cobraracing

cobraracing

10 second Canuck

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 2,898 posts
  • Joined 14-December 06
  • Region:Canada
  • Interests:Golf, cars, racing Golf, cars, racing Golf, cars, racing Golf, cars, racing

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

Called Burnishing and is an important method of seating or mating the brake parts, it involves as stated to rapidly heating the parts (medium braking) in successive braking sessions, many methods are published but all do the same thing, build heat and seat the brakes.
I like to perform it by accelerating to 30 mph and medium brake to 0 or 5 mph waiting 30 seconds and repeat for at least 10-15 times, the last should be at a higher speed 40 mph and to a full stop, I then go for a cruise to cool the brakes.
Posted Image

2007 Vista Blue coupe, white stripes tinted windows -Shaker 1000 ,Steeda CAI-SH 2.6 pulley Metco tensioner-SCT live wire tune Eibach Pro kit -Polished Steeda LCA's-Steeda UCA and bracket, 3.73 gears,,2008 mods Kooks headers GESI catted X-pipe and Magnaflow stainless exhaust Innovators west Aluminum OD balancer, DSS driveshaft 160mm T-body Cross drilled Slotted rotors Steeda Adj panhard bar, FMS rear end cover , 2008 ET 10.93 @ 126.55 mph and Dyno #'s 625 RWHP 599 RWTQ on ET Streets, 2012 mods, Shelby heat exchanger, Reservoirs, Vortex series 4 pads, Steeda 20x11 /20x10 Spyder rims with Nitto 315/35/20 - 275/45/20, 6 piston brembos with 15"rotors, rear brake upgrade, stainless brake lines
2013 TVS blower, KB Dual Boost-a-pump now making in Sept 2012 - 755 RWHP & 687 RWTQ **************** 2014 upgrades Ford GT cams 11cc Manley Pistons and h beam rods Ported heads 2013 injectors GT rocker covers 2013 clutch 2013 8 liter oil pan

#5 OFFLINE   E.Marquez

E.Marquez

GearHead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts
  • Joined 10-February 12
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

Called Burnishing and is an important method of seating or mating the brake parts, it involves as stated to rapidly heating the parts (medium braking) in successive braking sessions, many methods are published but all do the same thing, build heat and seat the brakes.
I like to perform it by accelerating to 30 mph and medium brake to 0 or 5 mph waiting 30 seconds and repeat for at least 10-15 times, the last should be at a higher speed 40 mph and to a full stop, I then go for a cruise to cool the brakes.

THIS ^
The only thing I'd add is, do not come to a compleat stop while the brakes are hot.. Uneven Pad materiel transfer or overheating of the pad / rotor can happen with the new pad stationary on a hot rotor.... Same thing with the parking brake. don't set it with new pads and HOT rotors... after a cool down drive, all will be fine.
Lateral G-forces make me smile.

#6 OFFLINE   klastinger

klastinger

Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 118 posts
  • Joined 21-November 11

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

Sounds great guys. Thanks for the help. It does seem most that I read was consisitent. Take it easy initially and get progressively more breaking, but to heat and cool the rotors, while bedding the pads. All did stress the importance of not coming to a complete stopping and making sure not to have the pad still on the rotor. Seems like it is very important to control the heating during the break in to prevent rotor warp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users