07SGT5687

el gato diablo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Joined 06-July 10
  • Region:Mountain

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

So i did the Shelby/MM CC plate install last night. Went quite well and everything seemed good initially, but after driving it more today I've noticed a pronounced "thunking" coming from what seems to be the strut tower areas. Full disclosure, i also installed the CHE K-member brace, but this seems to be coming directly from the strut areas. Just kind of like it sounds when struts or mounts go bad. I know I replaced the struct mounts when I installed these plates, but are they that much louder?! I'm NOT ok with that much noise coming from that area. The wife drove the car home tonight and stopped to call me to make sure everything was ok, it was so loud.

Please let me know if there is something I need to do to get this to do away or if this is what is what you all have exerienced.

Thanks, JR

CSM 07SGT5687 - "Stella" - Ford Build Date - 05/17/07 ----> Shelby Build Start Date - 09/12/07 ----> Shelby Build Completion Date - 09/13/07 ----> In-Service Date - 10/15/07

Factory Options: 5spd, Heated Seats, Shaker 500, IUP, Alarm Aftermarket Adds: FRPP Whipple 550HO, "SHELBY GT" valve covers, JLT Carbon Fiber CAI, Jon Lund tune, Shelby/C&R High Capacity Radiator and Dual Fan Intercooler, Moroso Intercooler "ICE" tank and coolant tank, Dynotech Aluminum One-piece Drive shaft, Eibach R1 (GT500) Single Adjustable Coilovers, Shelby/MM Caster/Camber Plates, BMR P/P Lower Control Arms, FRPP Adjustable Panhard Rod, Thump Racing HD Belt Tensioner, JLT oil separator, Serpentine Belt Shredder, Autometer Nexus gauges in SOS triple A-pillar pod, "SHELBY GT" engine cap set, "SHELBY" anodized fuel door, "SHELBY" Hood Pins, 20" Gun Metal Shelby Razors (24mm) with Nitto 555s, Baer 6S - 6 piston Front Brake kit, Baer Eradispeed +2 Rear Brake kit (front and rear slotted, no drilled), Hawk HPS (street) pads, Bob's Autosport Axle Reservoir, Fender Stripe, Sequential Turn Signals/Brake Lights, Corbeau Harness Bar, Corbeau 5 point Harness, CG Locks, 10% Tint, Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT, Beltronics Pro RX65 Blue hardwired...

Track Setup: 18" x 8.5" TSW Nurburgring (45mm) - TOO NARROW, Nitto NT-01 275/40/18 - TOO FAT/TALL, and Carbotech XP10/20 track pads - jury is still out.

496rwhp/473rwtq on a fully-loaded Dynojet... that'll work for now...

PPIR06-1.jpg

Team Shelby Members: Stop by and pin up your location on the TeamShelby.com member map at ZeeMaps.com

#2 OFFLINE   07SGT5687

07SGT5687

el gato diablo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Joined 06-July 10

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

nuthin huh?

CSM 07SGT5687 - "Stella" - Ford Build Date - 05/17/07 ----> Shelby Build Start Date - 09/12/07 ----> Shelby Build Completion Date - 09/13/07 ----> In-Service Date - 10/15/07

Factory Options: 5spd, Heated Seats, Shaker 500, IUP, Alarm Aftermarket Adds: FRPP Whipple 550HO, "SHELBY GT" valve covers, JLT Carbon Fiber CAI, Jon Lund tune, Shelby/C&R High Capacity Radiator and Dual Fan Intercooler, Moroso Intercooler "ICE" tank and coolant tank, Dynotech Aluminum One-piece Drive shaft, Eibach R1 (GT500) Single Adjustable Coilovers, Shelby/MM Caster/Camber Plates, BMR P/P Lower Control Arms, FRPP Adjustable Panhard Rod, Thump Racing HD Belt Tensioner, JLT oil separator, Serpentine Belt Shredder, Autometer Nexus gauges in SOS triple A-pillar pod, "SHELBY GT" engine cap set, "SHELBY" anodized fuel door, "SHELBY" Hood Pins, 20" Gun Metal Shelby Razors (24mm) with Nitto 555s, Baer 6S - 6 piston Front Brake kit, Baer Eradispeed +2 Rear Brake kit (front and rear slotted, no drilled), Hawk HPS (street) pads, Bob's Autosport Axle Reservoir, Fender Stripe, Sequential Turn Signals/Brake Lights, Corbeau Harness Bar, Corbeau 5 point Harness, CG Locks, 10% Tint, Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT, Beltronics Pro RX65 Blue hardwired...

Track Setup: 18" x 8.5" TSW Nurburgring (45mm) - TOO NARROW, Nitto NT-01 275/40/18 - TOO FAT/TALL, and Carbotech XP10/20 track pads - jury is still out.

PPIR06-1.jpg

Team Shelby Members: Stop by and pin up your location on the TeamShelby.com member map at ZeeMaps.com

#3 OFFLINE   ARMORINE

ARMORINE

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 19-February 09

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

lower control arm bushings?
having a 9 second ricer is like coming out of the closet, at first you surprise every one but at the end of the day your still gay
man kind has earned the right to rule this planet by occasionally producing someone totally bats#$t insane

#4 OFFLINE   07SGT5687

07SGT5687

el gato diablo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Joined 06-July 10

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

Can't imagine why they would be thunking immediately after the CC plate install though...

PPIR06-1.jpg

#5 OFFLINE   ARMORINE

ARMORINE

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 19-February 09

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

cc plates could be putting more stress on them. thats about all i got. unless they forgot to tighten something. have you popped the hood and used your hands to rock the car?
having a 9 second ricer is like coming out of the closet, at first you surprise every one but at the end of the day your still gay
man kind has earned the right to rule this planet by occasionally producing someone totally bats#$t insane

#6 OFFLINE   07SGT5687

07SGT5687

el gato diablo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Joined 06-July 10

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

cc plates could be putting more stress on them. thats about all i got.

Hmm... I appreciate the thought, but I'm not sure I'm worried about that.

unless they forgot to tighten something. have you popped the hood and used your hands to rock the car?

yup. Retorqued the struts towers and strut bolts too.

PPIR06-1.jpg

#7 OFFLINE   mr2turtle

mr2turtle

Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 29-August 11
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:CSM # 07SGT5160

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

A couple of months ago I changed the sway bar link setting.
After which I noticed a clunking noise. I too thought Strut bushing.
Took it to my mechanic and he drove it, then put it on the lift. He retightened the Sway bar links, really torqued them down and no noise afterwards.
Cheap fix and worth a try.
JIm

#8 OFFLINE   TheKurgan

TheKurgan

Fast Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,031 posts
  • Joined 09-January 08
  • Interests:Racing,Flyfishing,Kayaking

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Maybe give them some time and recheck the torque. When I installed new strut mounts, they had a clunk for a couple weeks but then went away permamently.
07 SGT - JDM302E, Paxton Novi 1500, Spec 3+, FRPP cams/intake/TB, Kooks, Tial 50mm BOV - 637 rwhp/547 rwtq - Tuned by VMP

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   fatboy

fatboy

lucky 1381 :\

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

i've installed maximum motorsports caster/camber plates a year ago. lat couple months i've noticed a knocking noise on the left front when i hit subtle bumps. i thought it was the air filter's ford racing heat shield rattling on the fender well but that wasn't it. i'll have to take it to ford and have them look. hope there's no damage. i havent drove it much though.
2007 Shelby GT CSM# 1381 - 5 Speed Hurst
white exterior, charcoal interior

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   ARMORINE

ARMORINE

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 19-February 09

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

guys if your still having problems i got bad knews for you...its probably the bearing used in the CC plates. ive been reading bad things about the bearings failing. you need to lift the car up and measure the about of play in the bearings. i keep reading stories about them failing. they apparently start clunking when they do

#11 OFFLINE   fatboy

fatboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

guys if your still having problems i got bad knews for you...its probably the bearing used in the CC plates. ive been reading bad things about the bearings failing. you need to lift the car up and measure the about of play in the bearings. i keep reading stories about them failing. they apparently start clunking when they do

what brand CC plates?

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   07SGT5687

07SGT5687

el gato diablo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Joined 06-July 10

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

So i did the Shelby/MM CC plate install last night.

what brand CC plates?

MM = Maximum Motorsports.

Edited by 07SGT5687, 11 December 2012 - 07:43 AM.

PPIR06-1.jpg

#13 OFFLINE   Albino500

Albino500

Team Shelby Racer

• 1,886 posts
  • Joined 19-March 12
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Road Racing my Shelby GT and cruising my GT500

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

This is more common a problem than one may think - mostly the issue is either the spherical bearing in the C/C plate ( any brand including M/M ) loses it's press fit or pounds out in it's cup OR the sway bar end links work them self loose at either the sway bar attachment or at the strut mounting hole. If you have a noise first disconnect the sway bar end link on one side and then go drive it - if the noise is gone - you know it is in the link (ball socket or wasn't tight on mount) but if the noise is still there - look at the spherical mount of the C/C plate and it's location in the hole -then jack up the front of the car and push down on the top of the tire to bottom out the travel and take a look at the position of the spherical ball in the upper mount to see if it has changed (dropped down) in the mount - if it has then call the maker and get a replacement C/C plate.
2007 GT500 Built on 7/27/2006
#918 of a build of 8152 coupes
#212 of 2252 in Performance White

Member of Terlingua Racing Team
Member of the "Clean Butt Club" - Class of 2010
2012 Shelby American 50th Anniversary Vegas Bash Car Show "Class" Award Winner

2007 SGT-California Edition Built on 5/15/2007
CSM#07SGT4755
1 of 89 Shelby GT-California Editions done in Performance White/Silver Stripes
Converted to " SCCA SMG Class " race car - 2/04/2013

#14 OFFLINE   07SGT5687

07SGT5687

el gato diablo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Joined 06-July 10

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

For what it's worth, mine was like this from minute 1 of install of brand new plates. And there is no play in the spherical bearing. If I hit even a small manhole cover bump, the thunk/bang is so loud I SWEAR I just bent a rim or the FRAME! Something is not right. At highway speed, there is not noticeable sound. But at low speed, it's annoying as hell and has completely ruined the ride quality. Feels and sounds like I'm riding on fully compressed struts in the front... I've got to figure this out. I don't even want to drive my car now because of it. Very seriously considering just taking the plates back out until I can figure out what is going on. At least if I take them out and it goes away, I'll be able to narrow it down to something relates to them. Either a flaw in operation or installation.

Very disappointing so far though.

PPIR06-1.jpg

#15 OFFLINE   Albino500

Albino500

Team Shelby Racer

• 1,886 posts
  • Joined 19-March 12

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

Agreed - something is NOT right - go for the simple things first and work through it. Good luck

CSM#07SGT4755

#16 OFFLINE   07SGT5687

07SGT5687

el gato diablo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Joined 06-July 10

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Agreed - something is NOT right - go for the simple things first and work through it. Good luck

Simple things? What are those! LOL Not sure where to go next. When I had it aligned, they double checked the torque/tightness of the sway bar links (the bar that goes up and attaches about half way up the back of the Strut, right?)... no idea what to check next.

Edited by 07SGT5687, 11 December 2012 - 09:33 AM.

PPIR06-1.jpg

#17 OFFLINE   ARMORINE

ARMORINE

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 19-February 09

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

sorry ive been gone hunting for a while guys. the mm plates seemed to have had the most problems. apparently they had a bad batch of bearings get out.

#18 OFFLINE   EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

• Southern Plains Region
  • 3,194 posts
  • Joined 15-March 09
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:27 AM

Call Maximum Motorsports. We can all throw out quesses here or you can go straight to the manufacture.

I have always know caster/camber plates to be noisy. The question for me would be 'how noisy is too noisy?'.
08SGT0343 Fueled with CS branded pixie dust ground from the asphault of the Mausaon Straight and defeated Ferrari's.
Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   Albino500

Albino500

Team Shelby Racer

• 1,886 posts
  • Joined 19-March 12

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Simple things? What are those! LOL Not sure where to go next. When I had it aligned, they double checked the torque/tightness of the sway bar links (the bar that goes up and attaches about half way up the back of the Strut, right?)... no idea what to check next.

1) sway bar end links
2) side play in strut
3) caster/camber plate
4) LBJ/LCA bushing
These are the possibilities - the first two are easy - the other two require a tear down. Like I said - not uncommon to get a bad C/C plate bearing.

CSM#07SGT4755

#20 OFFLINE   fatboy

fatboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

You know what my "THUNK" was? It was the 3/4" nut right on top of the shock.
I tightened it down and the noise stopped. It was loose enough I could twist the nut by hand. I figured that had to be it because the 3/4" nut on the other shock was tight.
So far it hasn't "THUNKED" since and I've driven it around over 50 miles since then. (city, the interstate and over R/R crossings - gently of course)

but i have the adjustable Ford racing shocks. don't know if its different than the non adjustables as far as the 3/4" nut goes.

Edited by fatboy, 17 December 2012 - 12:36 PM.

Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   07SGT5687

07SGT5687

el gato diablo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Joined 06-July 10

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

I'll have to check that, but I swear I have already several times. Just been about a month now since I've looked at it. I hope it's that simple, but unfortunately for me... I believe it's something else. I'll let you know though and thanks for the idea.

PPIR06-1.jpg

#22 OFFLINE   Albino500

Albino500

Team Shelby Racer

• 1,886 posts
  • Joined 19-March 12

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

You can always jack the front end up so that the tires are just a couple of inches off the ground and place jack stands under the frame then take a long bar and place it under the tire and lift upwards then release to see if you can get the noise to happen . Get a second person to help - if they lift up/down then you can put your hand on different components to feel for the play/noise source . Kudos to fatboy for finding his problem and good luck to 07SGT5687.

CSM#07SGT4755

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users