#1 OFFLINE   speedyburd33

speedyburd33

Veritas Aequitas

• Northeast Region
  • 840 posts
  • Joined 16-January 07
  • Region:Northeast

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

Just getting my car back from Tasca with my new GT/SC upgrade and Dennis has it tuned up nice. He had to turn the rear O2 sensors off to keep the check engine light from coming on. This is fine except that in NY they must be on to pass inspection. He suggested installing these restrictors from Vibrant Performance and using an alternate tune that he will email me just for the inspection. He also said that after the inspection, i need to retune it to his original tune and keep the rear O2's off. Has anyone else used these or something like these? Or...would anyone from NY have a better solution to the inspection issue?
http://vibrantperfor...cPath=1022_1069
Posted Image
07SGT0890
Team Shelby Member #2553

286.8 RWHP/305.5 RWTQ Stock
Steeda Carbon Fiber Inlet Elbow
Brenspeed Custom Tune
Ford Racing 3.73 Gears
Kooks Long Tube Headers w/high flow cats
Corsa Extreme Exhaust
315.7 RWHP/327.5 RWTQ Stage 1 Mods
Shelby GT/SC Upgrade w/Polished Whipple 550 Completed at Tasca on 9/10/12
1 Piece Driveshaft
Ford Racing Radiator
502.4 RWHP/463.5 RWTQ Stage 2 Mods
1000 Series Forged Internals
ARP Head Studs
Custom Comp Cams
Upgraded Valve Springs
Stage 2 Ported Heads
McLeod RXT Twin Disc Clutch, 8 bolt flywheel
Ford Racing Polished Throttle Body
Whipple Polished 10 Rib Kit
Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors
MAF Sensor
Updated Tune
???.? RWHP/???.? RWTQ Stage 3 Mods (Completion Estimated 6/27/13 at Tasca)

#2 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

The builders are doing a huge disservice by disabling the O2 sensors. Your OBD2 check at emissions test WILL FAIL. The only way to get them connected is to totally revert to the stock configuration, which means removing the supercharger and putting the stock air box back on.

Jer, why are they allowed to do this?

Personally, I believe Tasca/SAI should pay to make it emissions compliant where you live or reject the mod...
Cheers,
Tony

Motto: You can have fun going fast. ... but ... You don't have to go fast to have fun.

Current:
2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition, 650 RWHP, 600 FtLb torque.

Former:
CSX4005LA - Shelby Continuation Series Cobra. The most fun you can legally have, sitting in a chair, in public.
CSM08SGT2228 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, 5-speed, Kenne Bell S/C. Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation Gift at Barrett-Jackson 2009 Scottsdale
CSM08SGT2247 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, Automatic. Kenne Bell S/C installed. WHOOT!
Simple Mods: Electrochromic mirror with compass/temp/HomeLink, Ford HD Radio with iPod, lower billet grill insert, sequential tail lights.

#3 OFFLINE   ingram4868

ingram4868

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,363 posts
  • Joined 05-September 05
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Love of God, Family and Great Cars

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

There are so many kits out there that do not require turning off your sensors. I am surprised TASCA would provide you with a tune that will not pass routine smog testing.
David Ingram
Sparks, NV.
Newest addition 1100 mile 2007 GT500

#4 OFFLINE   speedyburd33

speedyburd33

Veritas Aequitas

• Northeast Region
  • 840 posts
  • Joined 16-January 07

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

Your OBD2 check at emissions test WILL FAIL. The only way to get them connected is to totally revert to the stock configuration, which means removing the supercharger and putting the stock air box back on.

this is exactly why i'm asking. I had a similar situation when i bought a tune from Brenspeed a couple years ago. They fixed it by just emailing me the same tune with the sensors turned on and it fixed the problem. Dennis says if those sensors are on with the Whipple, the check engine light will come on...which won't pass inspection either. I know there are other SC'd cars out there in NY and hopefully they can add their $.02. Paying another $50 plus installation to have those restrictors put on isn't the way i want to go. Especially when i'm not even sure what they exactly do. Telling me that they "fool" the computer doesn't say much. I don't know if they will affect anything when i go to turn the sensors back off after the inspection, or if they are actually harmless otherwise?

Any help is appreciated!!
Posted Image
07SGT0890
Team Shelby Member #2553

Brenspeed Custom Tune
Ford Racing 3.73 Gears
Corsa Extreme Exhaust
1 Piece Driveshaft
Ford Racing Radiator
ARP Head Studs
Custom Comp Cams
Upgraded Valve Springs
Stage 2 Ported Heads
MAF Sensor
Updated Tune

#5 OFFLINE   slbgtsc

slbgtsc

SLBGTSC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Joined 05-November 09
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Love being outside, hanging with the family. Driving the Shelby is a great way to unwind.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

I run a saleen blower with long tubes headers, catted x-pipe and a brenspeed tune for emissions testing. I had to install some spacers on the rear O2 sensors due to the heat caused by the blower. Without the spacers the rear O2 sensors will heat up too quickly and it will throw a code. After installation of the spacers load the emission tune and then drive the car several times and you should have no problem with getting through the emissions process.
"Halle"

2007 Shelby GT #3184, Saleen SC Stage 3 with 3.2 or 3.0 pulley (street/strip),Mosaleen tensioner system, Moroso Coolant tank, Moroso Intercooler tank,Shelby Engine Cap set, UCA,LCA,BMR A arm Brace, GT4 Wheels, Nitto NT555's, Brembo GT 500 Front Calipers Hawk pads, Brembo Slotted Rear Rotors Hawk Pads, Goodrich Stainless lines, MGW shifter, Pypes LT headers w/off road X pipe,Borla Atak Mufflers, FRP 3.73's, BMR adjustable Panhard Bar/brace , Steeda shaft loop, JLT 110mm CAI, FRP valve Covers, Brenspeed tuned. 12.425 @ 114.63 4800 feet on Nitto 555's, 492 RWP, 469 TQ.

#6 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

No, there's something wrong. The GT/SC Whipple ought to be a standard Ford Racing kit (really). It is supposedly 50 state compliant.
Cheers,
Tony

Motto: You can have fun going fast. ... but ... You don't have to go fast to have fun.

Current:

Former:
CSX4005LA - Shelby Continuation Series Cobra. The most fun you can legally have, sitting in a chair, in public.
CSM08SGT2228 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, 5-speed, Kenne Bell S/C. Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation Gift at Barrett-Jackson 2009 Scottsdale
CSM08SGT2247 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, Automatic. Kenne Bell S/C installed. WHOOT!
Simple Mods: Electrochromic mirror with compass/temp/HomeLink, Ford HD Radio with iPod, lower billet grill insert, sequential tail lights.

#7 OFFLINE   07SGT2899

07SGT2899

Team Shelby New Member

• Northeast Region
  • 260 posts
  • Joined 06-August 12
  • Interests:all things auto related, bicycles, metal music, machining, camping, fishing...
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

i made a set of these for my 00 gt by drilling out a set of spark plug non foulers. work like a charm, passed inspection every year for 5 years with the rear o2's left on and no cats

#8 OFFLINE   speedyburd33

speedyburd33

Veritas Aequitas

• Northeast Region
  • 840 posts
  • Joined 16-January 07

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

No, there's something wrong. The GT/SC Whipple ought to be a standard Ford Racing kit (really). It is supposedly 50 state compliant.

i tend to agree with you. This should be a standard set up to accomodate the inspections no matter what state. I'll be finding out more in the next week or so and let you all know.
Posted Image
07SGT0890
Team Shelby Member #2553

Brenspeed Custom Tune
Ford Racing 3.73 Gears
Corsa Extreme Exhaust
1 Piece Driveshaft
Ford Racing Radiator
ARP Head Studs
Custom Comp Cams
Upgraded Valve Springs
Stage 2 Ported Heads
MAF Sensor
Updated Tune

#9 OFFLINE   slbgtsc

slbgtsc

SLBGTSC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Joined 05-November 09
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Love being outside, hanging with the family. Driving the Shelby is a great way to unwind.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

I think the addition of the long tube headers changes the game. I'm not an expert but the improved flow of the LT's may change things enough to warrant the spacers. I ran my car with stock exhaust and an emissions tune, then switched to off road x pipe which made it necessary to turn rear O2 sensors off. Later I changed to LT's and off road x pipe with sensors off, when we moved to front range of Colorado I kept the LT's added a catted xpipe for emissions testing along with the spacers.
"Halle"

2007 Shelby GT #3184, Saleen SC Stage 3 with 3.2 or 3.0 pulley (street/strip),Mosaleen tensioner system, Moroso Coolant tank, Moroso Intercooler tank,Shelby Engine Cap set, UCA,LCA,BMR A arm Brace, GT4 Wheels, Nitto NT555's, Brembo GT 500 Front Calipers Hawk pads, Brembo Slotted Rear Rotors Hawk Pads, Goodrich Stainless lines, MGW shifter, Pypes LT headers w/off road X pipe,Borla Atak Mufflers, FRP 3.73's, BMR adjustable Panhard Bar/brace , Steeda shaft loop, JLT 110mm CAI, FRP valve Covers, Brenspeed tuned. 12.425 @ 114.63 4800 feet on Nitto 555's, 492 RWP, 469 TQ.

#10 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

I had thought of changing my Ford GT to that kind of setup - there is a FRPP header kit that had "bumps" where the cats would be, but the emissions folks KNOW about it and fail the test (or so I'm told by someone who tried). The best alternative may be to register your car in a Montana LLC. No emssions test.

But I still fault the installer for allowing such a configuration to exist if it won't pass emissions (anywhere), or at least making it very clear (ie. sign this waiver) before doing the work.

Edited by twobjshelbys, 18 September 2012 - 02:31 PM.

Cheers,
Tony

Current:

Former:

#11 OFFLINE   mywickedshelby

mywickedshelby

Cogito Ergo Zoom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,777 posts
  • Joined 17-May 07
  • Interests:Occassionally

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

+1000

Edited by mywickedshelby, 19 September 2012 - 11:23 AM.

2007 Black SGT. CSM #2502

Masterfully Modified at MacKenzie Mustang Supply in Palm Springs, California

Deep Draw Hood (clears my Whipple without lowering the engine) and Painted Stripes / August 2011

4.6 Aluminator built by L&M Race Engines, Hatboro, PA. February 2012, 700hp!
Shelby Run Europe 2012 Participant! Driven in 36 US States and 11 Countries.........So far!

547869_10202350277620752_547696593_n.jpg

#12 OFFLINE   shelbymotorsports

shelbymotorsports

SAI Registry Supervisor

• 6,868 posts
  • Joined 12-November 07
  • Region:Decline

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

And it is. The OP had ADDITIONAL work performed by Tasca that is NOT part of the GT/SC package.

Steve

Register your Shelby at: Shelby American Registry

Order your SAI Registry Certificate at: Shelby Store

PM's turned OFF. Email me at: StevenT@ShelbyAmerican.com

SAIRegistryCert.jpg

#13 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

And it is. The OP had ADDITIONAL work performed by Tasca that is NOT part of the GT/SC package.

Steve

Which was not disclosed in the original post. Sounds like exhaust... Still Tascal should have known that emissions would be an issue and alerted the owner.
Cheers,
Tony

Current:

Former:

#14 OFFLINE   speedyburd33

speedyburd33

Veritas Aequitas

• Northeast Region
  • 840 posts
  • Joined 16-January 07

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:18 AM

My local mechanic is thinking that those restrictors are only for cars without cats at all and that just turning the rear sensors on should be ok. I'm waiting on the modified tune from Dennis and we'll see. Hopefully i can get it from him today for my Monday inspection appointment.
Posted Image
07SGT0890
Team Shelby Member #2553

Brenspeed Custom Tune
Ford Racing 3.73 Gears
Corsa Extreme Exhaust
1 Piece Driveshaft
Ford Racing Radiator
ARP Head Studs
Custom Comp Cams
Upgraded Valve Springs
Stage 2 Ported Heads
MAF Sensor
Updated Tune

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users