37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sfm6s1675

sfm6s1675

Team Shelby New Member

• Mississippi Valley Region
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 04-January 08
  • Region:Mississippi Valley
  • Interests:Shelby vehicles of all kinds!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

I have an 09 GT500 vert, that I just love. But in the whole theory of "you can't have too much", I have my eyes on a 289 Cobra.

I see things like high maintenance, etc. Would like to know people's thoughts on this and what I can expect. Also what to expect in how "fun" it is...in other words, does the car literally beat the hell out of you and it's more work to drive than fun. I don't mind some level of work (I had owned a 66 GT350 at one time) but do expect the car to be fun enough to go for a 2-3 hour drive, perhaps. Maybe even to an overnight bed & breakfast, that kind of thing..

Also I know the frame is the 3" dia tube, not the 4" that big block cars have. Knowing the originals had 271 hp, with racing versions in the upper 300s, how much hp is too much with the small frame and skinny tires?

Shelby Engines has a way cool (and very $) aluminum block 289 motor. Am thinking of this motor with a Tremec 5 speed and 3.54 gears.

Would really like opinions on this. And to answer the first question, I really have my heart set on a 289 as it retains the English flair plus frankly, you don't see many around.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

* CSX8037 289 Cobra continuation car. British Racing Green, black leather interior. Aluminum block & heads Shelby 289 engine (dyno'ed at 479 hp, 437 lb-ft torque), Tremec 5-speed.
* 2009 GT500 Convertible, Black w/ Red Stripe Option...Number 5 of 29! KR Mufflers, FRPP CAI and tune, 3.73 and Ford Racing diff cover, FRPP shifter and white ball knob, 20" Supersnake wheels, Baer cross-drilled & slotted rotors, embroidered headrests and console cover, sequential tail lights, SPP billet engine caps, GT500KR trunk liner, Carroll Shelby signed dash plaque and airbag cover.

Past Owner of:
2006 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L/300 hp
1989 Mustang LX, 5.0L/225 hp
1985 Mustang GT Tee Tops, 5.0L/210 hp
1966 Shelby GT350H, 289 cid/306 hp

#2 OFFLINE   Benzito

Benzito

B.M.O.C.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 158 posts
  • Joined 14-October 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

Real or replica? If the first, your options are obviously limited. I traded my GT-H for a 427 S/C replica (alas, not with a 427 BB, but plenty enough for me), but if I had to do it over again, a 289 FIA would be great. The lighter engine does make a difference on any roads with curves, but you can still get quite good HP and performance. Maybe you don't lose your toupee on a peel-out, but you can still get nice torque numbers, too.

Unless you are buying someone else's car that's already sorted, you should definitely look around for the various engine builders: Shelby, Roush, Keith Craft, etc. Prices go to the moon if you want, but you can keep things reasonable so long as you stick with the 289 / 302 base.
Mike (in Portland)

1968 Ford Mustang
1965 AC / Shelby Cobra 427SC (SPF replica)

Some others . . .

#3 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

If I were to get another Cobra it would be a 289 car. Definitely more streetable and easier to control than the 427. I like the looks of the 427 so I would do a 289 FIA car.

That said, they are a tinkerer's dream. If you like working on cars and engines it will be a good car to get. Frankly, I don't miss having to work on it as much as I drove it.

As far as driving it remember this is a tool to push an engine around the track. It's light and nimble but not a single part of a HP went to anything except moving it. The brakes and steering are very hard. Especially a 289 with leaf springs, I expect. The best term I heard to describe it is a "strong man's car". No power anything so you have to really push (not press) the brakes. Clutch will depend on what you get for trans. Steering is tough - turning standing still on dry pavement will take two hands. You do have to "man handle" it. But when it's going fast it's great! The feedback is very high.

Before you buy one you should definitely ride in one, and if you can, drive it. You would be best advised to take a trip to a dealer (Hillbank or Denbeste) and take a test drive.

Edited by twobjshelbys, 25 September 2012 - 09:18 PM.

Cheers,
Tony

Motto: You can have fun going fast. ... but ... You don't have to go fast to have fun.

Current:
2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition, 650 RWHP, 600 FtLb torque.

Former:
CSX4005LA - Shelby Continuation Series Cobra. The most fun you can legally have, sitting in a chair, in public.
CSM08SGT2228 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, 5-speed, Kenne Bell S/C. Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation Gift at Barrett-Jackson 2009 Scottsdale
CSM08SGT2247 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, Automatic. Kenne Bell S/C installed. WHOOT!
Simple Mods: Electrochromic mirror with compass/temp/HomeLink, Ford HD Radio with iPod, lower billet grill insert, sequential tail lights.

#4 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

And this really isn't the best place to get Cobra info. You should also check out www.clubcobra.com. Beware, while they claim to be "unbiased" they really don't like Shelby much, so apply that filter. They will instantly turn you to Superformance or ERA or Kirkham if you're looking for an aluminum car and chastise you for thinking of a CSX. Even though in the end they all cost the same.

Also, if you're looking for a used "already sorted out" car you can't go wrong by looking at www.cobracountry.com

Edited by twobjshelbys, 25 September 2012 - 09:21 PM.

Cheers,
Tony

Motto: You can have fun going fast. ... but ... You don't have to go fast to have fun.

Current:

Former:
CSX4005LA - Shelby Continuation Series Cobra. The most fun you can legally have, sitting in a chair, in public.
CSM08SGT2228 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, 5-speed, Kenne Bell S/C. Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation Gift at Barrett-Jackson 2009 Scottsdale
CSM08SGT2247 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, Automatic. Kenne Bell S/C installed. WHOOT!
Simple Mods: Electrochromic mirror with compass/temp/HomeLink, Ford HD Radio with iPod, lower billet grill insert, sequential tail lights.

#5 OFFLINE   MY500SS

MY500SS

Team Shelby Addict

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 23,362 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

I love owning the little 289 Cobra. She's fast, sounds great and stops traffic where ever I go. That being said, she is high maintenance. Before any long drive she goes on the lift to check for loose nuts and bolts (and I do find them). She very comfortable for about an hour. After that my large 230 lb body starts to feel it.

Great advise from Tony........try and drive one before any purchase.
Honored to have participated in the 2012 Shelby Run Europe.
2500 miles, 10 days, 8 countries.

Proud member of Team 40th - 07XL0273

2007 GT500SS CSM 07SS0134.
2007 GT50040th CSM 07XL0273.
1965 Mustang Coupe K Code.
1964 289 FIA Cobra CSX 7076.
1963 L76 Corvette.

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

I love owning the little 289 Cobra. She's fast, sounds great and stops traffic where ever I go. That being said, she is high maintenance. Before any long drive she goes on the lift to check for loose nuts and bolts (and I do find them). She very comfortable for about an hour. After that my large 230 lb body starts to feel it.

Great advise from Tony........try and drive one before any purchase.

For me the time was totally controlled by how much drive time I got on a tank of gas. At 21 gal, 9-10 MPG, 200 miles is about all you can get anyway. 200-300 miles total is 2-3 hours at 75MPH... Don't think of this as a cross country driver, you will need to plan your route for frequent stops. I did figure that the trip from Colorado to Las Vegas was safe if I stopped in Vail, Grand Junction, Green River (because of the no services for quite a few miles), the I15-I70 interchange and St. George. 800 miles total.

Edited by twobjshelbys, 26 September 2012 - 10:43 AM.

Cheers,
Tony

Current:

Former:

#7 ONLINE   JeffJ

JeffJ

Hertz #102

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 4,228 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07
  • Region:Mountain

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

Tony,
If I remember right, there was also another very important reason you made the change out of the Cobra. :)

If you are married, make sure your significant other also takes a ride in the car and will be able to enjoy it on a longer haul. If not, that can make the Cobra not as fun for you.

JeffJ
2006 Shelby GTH-SC #102
2013 Roush RS - Daily Driver
1993 F150 Lightning #711
1989 AutoKraft/Kenny Brown Short Wheel Base T-bird #001 with a 1969 Supercharged Boss 302 5 speed
1994 AutoKraft Short Wheel Base Lincoln MK VIII #006
2004 Freightliner M2 Business Class Mountain Master Pony Hauler (Both 4 legged and 4 tired!)
1990 7-Up LX 5.0 Convert - Auto (current basket case, building for my daughter's first car)
1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster 5.0 Coyote, PA Auto with paddle shift
1972 Ford F100 Shortbed 390 auto
1951 Ford F6 Dump Truck powered by 1985 Ford roller 5.0, full tilt font, can haul 6 tons of rock and run a 18.0 quarter!
2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 V8 - Wifes driver

#8 OFFLINE   sfm6s1675

sfm6s1675

Team Shelby New Member

• 98 posts
  • Joined 04-January 08

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

• Thanks everyone, appreciate the opinions. I am in the St. Louis area and we do have a local Shelby distributor, so I definitely was going to pay him a visit. I'm looking for a new build to get it exactly the way I'd like, plus was thinking about adding the museum delivery option too (got to keep the wife happy, taking her to Vegas is good for brownie points!).

* CSX8037 289 Cobra continuation car. British Racing Green, black leather interior. Aluminum block & heads Shelby 289 engine (dyno'ed at 479 hp, 437 lb-ft torque), Tremec 5-speed.
* 2009 GT500 Convertible, Black w/ Red Stripe Option...Number 5 of 29! KR Mufflers, FRPP CAI and tune, 3.73 and Ford Racing diff cover, FRPP shifter and white ball knob, 20" Supersnake wheels, Baer cross-drilled & slotted rotors, embroidered headrests and console cover, sequential tail lights, SPP billet engine caps, GT500KR trunk liner, Carroll Shelby signed dash plaque and airbag cover.

Past Owner of:

#9 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

Tony,
If I remember right, there was also another very important reason you made the change out of the Cobra. :)

If you are married, make sure your significant other also takes a ride in the car and will be able to enjoy it on a longer haul. If not, that can make the Cobra not as fun for you.

This is absolutely correct. Cobras for drivers are all the fun you can have, legally, sitting in a chair in public. They are uncomfortable and painful to sit in and control - the steering and brakes are brutal - but that is part of the exhilaration of driving one. It's easy to ignore the discomfort, when, as Hunter S thompson said "Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death". However, they are a torture chamber for your passenger and may not find the same level of thrill.
Cheers,
Tony

Current:

Former:

#10 OFFLINE   MY500SS

MY500SS

Team Shelby Addict

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 23,362 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:55 AM

This is absolutely correct. Cobras for drivers are all the fun you can have, legally, sitting in a chair in public. They are uncomfortable and painful to sit in and control - the steering and brakes are brutal - but that is part of the exhilaration of driving one. It's easy to ignore the discomfort, when, as Hunter S thompson said "Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death". However, they are a torture chamber for your passenger and may not find the same level of thrill.

I'd say you painted a pretty good picture there Tony. Marji does say the drivers seat is more fun than the passenger seat.

1963 L76 Corvette.

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   JonathanE

JonathanE

Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 144 posts
  • Joined 15-January 10
  • Region:Decline

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

I was able to drive the 50th Cobra during the bash for about a mile from the banquet hall to the parking garage. Probably the best and worst mile of my life. I tell people constantly in the museum the Cobra is not really a drivers car but she is an absolute blast to drive. The clutch pedal was stiff as could be, my 6' 180 lbs body doesn't contort that well into the seat, the steering wheel was digging into my inner thigh, and it was an incredibly stiff ride, however if you don't have a huge smile when your driving a Cobra you might as well be dead. How the greats from Shelby Americans past were able to muscle these cars around some of the greatest tracks for 24 hours is beyond me. Guess thats why you never saw a fat raceing Cobra driver :shoppingcart_: .

Jonathan E
Shelby Performance Parts Catalog Group
702.405.3500 | Email
Shelby American, Inc.

Thank you for supporting Shelby American.

Current:
2010 Kia Soul.........hampster mobile
2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level 2, Black stock everything.......for now

Previous:
2006 Triumph Daytona 675, Grey, Zard exhaust, Bazzaz tuner with quick shifter, Bazzaz Auto-tuner, MWR race air filter, Pazzo race levers, frame sliders, carbon fiber tire hugger and chain guard, gel seat, rear seat cowl. I sneezed and hit a van.......
2006 Suzuki SV650S, received April 12, 2010- died April 13, 2010...watch out for motorcycles!
1996 Suzuki Katana 600 stolen, recovered, sold
2006 Ford Focus ST
2005 Ford Focus SE

Wish List:
WAY to many to list

#12 OFFLINE   2010KonaBlueGT

2010KonaBlueGT

There's room at the top. Space is limited...RSVP!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09
  • Interests:Anything Fast - Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Planes, Women, etc. Building Hi-Po engines. Sailing, Riding Motorcycles (dirt & street), Racing - Motorcycles & Cars, Bowling & Drinking Beer!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

I was able to drive the 50th Cobra during the bash for about a mile from the banquet hall to the parking garage.

I've always been curious...Who drives number 1 when it gets moved?

I've been seeing it all over the place and noticed last week when I was in there, that it's back in the museum (from Monterey?).

So I was just wondering. I think I saw a pic of Luft driving it in Monterey.

Phill

2010 GT500 Coupe
Kona Blue w/White OTT Stripes and Red Accent Stripes
Electronics Package, HID's & Car Cover

CURRENT MODS: FRPP: Whipple 2.9L Polished Superchager w/Crusher Inlet & Cobra Jet Dual 65mm Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers - Ford GT Blue Cam Covers - Polished Billet COP & Oil Filler Cap Covers - FR3 Handling Pack w/Tokico Struts/Shocks & Eibach Swaybars - Jounce Bumpers - 8.8" Low Profile Axle Girdle - 3" Front Brake Cooling Ducts - Vacuum/Boost Gauge~ MGW: Short Throw Shifter - White w/Blue Stripes Shifter Knob - Radiator and Intercooler Degas Bottle Caps - Seat Recliner Lever Covers - Parking Brake Handle Cover - Coat Hanger Hooks~ PST: 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft~ Revan Racing: C&R Radiator and Intercooler~ ROUSH: 3x Intercooler Degas Bottle - Side Splitters - Extreme Off-road Exhaust - Adjustable Trailing Arms (LCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link (UCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link Bracket - AC Vent Pod Vac/Boost Gauge Mount~ SHELBY: SC Aux. Idler Pulley - Oil Dipstick Handle, MC, PS & WS Washer Reservoir Caps - 8-qt. Oil Pan - Tubular K-Member Subframe - Tubular A-arms - CS S1000 Billet Aluminum Transmission Crossmember - Seat Harness Bar - 6S Extreme Rear Brakes - 6S Extreme Front Brakes - GT500KR Front Brake Cooling Duct Bezels - Anti Bump-stear Tie-rod Ends - Race Style Swaybar Links - Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates - Adjustable Panhard Bar - Panhard Bar/Body Brace - GT500KR Rear Axle Reservoir - Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets -18" GT500KR Alcoa Dura-Bright Wheels & Goodyear GT500KR Winged Boot F1 Supercar Tires~ Raptor Shift Light

PURCHASED AND AWAITING INSTALLATION: Shelby/Metco Fuel Rails - Shelby Alcoa Forged 20" Dura-Bright Super Snake Style Wheels - Shelby Billet Aluminum Fuel Door - NMB2 2-Stage WOT Box - Granatelli Motors Tire Fryer Line-lock - ZEX N2O kit - Ford Racing Lighted Sill Plates w/Ford Racing logo.

Soon to be "For Sale": Eradispeed Rear Brake Rotors & Caliper Relocation Brackets

#13 OFFLINE   MY500SS

MY500SS

Team Shelby Addict

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 23,362 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

I've always been curious...Who drives number 1 when it gets moved?

I've been seeing it all over the place and noticed last week when I was in there, that it's back in the museum (from Monterey?).

So I was just wondering. I think I saw a pic of Luft driving it in Monterey.

Phill

You should have John tell you the story of while driving in Monterey he had to pull CSX2000 into the gas station to fuel up.

Driving that piece of history is one thing but have to stop and filler up......Now that's PRICELESS.

1963 L76 Corvette.

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   2010KonaBlueGT

2010KonaBlueGT

There's room at the top. Space is limited...RSVP!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09
  • Interests:Anything Fast - Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Planes, Women, etc. Building Hi-Po engines. Sailing, Riding Motorcycles (dirt & street), Racing - Motorcycles & Cars, Bowling & Drinking Beer!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

You should have John tell you the story of while driving in Monterey he had to pull CSX2000 into the gas station to fuel up.

Driving that piece of history is one thing but have to stop and filler up......Now that's PRICELESS.

I hope they have good insurance.

I wouldn't even THINK of driving a $20 million car on the street, let along sit in it!

And especially the streets of Monterey (as a former life long resident).

Phill

2010 GT500 Coupe
Kona Blue w/White OTT Stripes and Red Accent Stripes
Electronics Package, HID's & Car Cover

CURRENT MODS: FRPP: Whipple 2.9L Polished Superchager w/Crusher Inlet & Cobra Jet Dual 65mm Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers - Ford GT Blue Cam Covers - Polished Billet COP & Oil Filler Cap Covers - FR3 Handling Pack w/Tokico Struts/Shocks & Eibach Swaybars - Jounce Bumpers - 8.8" Low Profile Axle Girdle - 3" Front Brake Cooling Ducts - Vacuum/Boost Gauge~ MGW: Short Throw Shifter - White w/Blue Stripes Shifter Knob - Radiator and Intercooler Degas Bottle Caps - Seat Recliner Lever Covers - Parking Brake Handle Cover - Coat Hanger Hooks~ PST: 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft~ Revan Racing: C&R Radiator and Intercooler~ ROUSH: 3x Intercooler Degas Bottle - Side Splitters - Extreme Off-road Exhaust - Adjustable Trailing Arms (LCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link (UCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link Bracket - AC Vent Pod Vac/Boost Gauge Mount~ SHELBY: SC Aux. Idler Pulley - Oil Dipstick Handle, MC, PS & WS Washer Reservoir Caps - 8-qt. Oil Pan - Tubular K-Member Subframe - Tubular A-arms - CS S1000 Billet Aluminum Transmission Crossmember - Seat Harness Bar - 6S Extreme Rear Brakes - 6S Extreme Front Brakes - GT500KR Front Brake Cooling Duct Bezels - Anti Bump-stear Tie-rod Ends - Race Style Swaybar Links - Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates - Adjustable Panhard Bar - Panhard Bar/Body Brace - GT500KR Rear Axle Reservoir - Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets -18" GT500KR Alcoa Dura-Bright Wheels & Goodyear GT500KR Winged Boot F1 Supercar Tires~ Raptor Shift Light

PURCHASED AND AWAITING INSTALLATION: Shelby/Metco Fuel Rails - Shelby Alcoa Forged 20" Dura-Bright Super Snake Style Wheels - Shelby Billet Aluminum Fuel Door - NMB2 2-Stage WOT Box - Granatelli Motors Tire Fryer Line-lock - ZEX N2O kit - Ford Racing Lighted Sill Plates w/Ford Racing logo.

Soon to be "For Sale": Eradispeed Rear Brake Rotors & Caliper Relocation Brackets

#15 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

I was offered the opportunity to steer P1015 into the garage but wanted to take pictures more :) Plus, I don't think I would have fit in the seat.
Cheers,
Tony

Current:

Former:

#16 OFFLINE   Denstang65

Denstang65

Denstang65

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,358 posts
  • Joined 24-March 10
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, playing ice hockey when I can, driving my tribute GT350 everywhere.
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

I hope they have good insurance.

I wouldn't even THINK of driving a $20 million car on the street, let along sit in it!

And especially the streets of Monterey (as a former life long resident).

Phill

Heck, I would drive it if I had the opprotunity.

#17 OFFLINE   Denstang65

Denstang65

Denstang65

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,358 posts
  • Joined 24-March 10
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, playing ice hockey when I can, driving my tribute GT350 everywhere.
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

Go for the 289 CSX Cobra!

#18 OFFLINE   MY500SS

MY500SS

Team Shelby Addict

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 23,362 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

Heck, I would drive it if I had the opprotunity.

+1.................I'd be all over that.

1963 L76 Corvette.

Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   cobrakidz

cobrakidz

Shelby owner 20 yrs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Joined 10-November 07
  • Interests:anything that moves
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

I looked at a few 289 replicas before getting another Tiger--a lot more room and easier to drive. As far as dependability I don't see how a 289 replica needs any more maintenance than any old car, and if they are driven regularly they shouldn't need a lot.

1966 GT350

1965 Tiger-Springtime Yellow

2013 Boss 302

#20 OFFLINE   Denstang65

Denstang65

Denstang65

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,358 posts
  • Joined 24-March 10
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Watcha gonna do?

#21 OFFLINE   Morgan19d

Morgan19d

Daily Driver

• South Atlantic Region
  • 796 posts
  • Joined 05-February 11
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:Anything automotive and traveling with my family.
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

I would love a 289 street car!! The 427's are amazing machines and absolutely beautiful, as well as the body lines on the 289 FIAs, but everyone who has a replica has one and that strikes me as a little over done... However I dig the 289's because of the simplicity of the design, not to mention appearance of the original 289's is just flawless IMO.

12GTS0038- Procharged V6, 6 speed manual

10177469_822481524441986_483326774366117

#22 OFFLINE   68GT350CV

68GT350CV

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 17-May 07
  • Interests:Classic Shelbys and Mustangs

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

I love driving CSX 8289. The car is very dependable, but I drive it almost weekly. The weather has very nice lately and I drove it to work everyday for the past 2 weeks. It does fine in traffic and has more than enough power. I have a 289 HiPo, 306 HP, and a tremec TKO500. I have had the car on the road course and the dragstrip several times at Mid-America. I highly recommend the car!!
Shane

Album: cars
4 images
3 comments

Shane

CSX 8289
1966 Shelby GT 350 6S1524

1968 Shelby GT 350 convertible #871
1969 Shelby GT 500 convertible #313

2007 GT 500 convertible ordered on 5/3/07,Scheduled for 6/18, Delivered 7/13/07

2008 Shelby GT/SC Convertible CSM 08SGT0861 Museum Delivery 2/1/08, Razors and brakes, KB S/C installed at Quantum.

#23 OFFLINE   Morgan19d

Morgan19d

Daily Driver

• South Atlantic Region
  • 796 posts
  • Joined 05-February 11
  • Interests:Anything automotive and traveling with my family.
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

I have never actually checked into it, but what does a roller slabside run? I know complete cars from the dealers can be up there depending on engine choice, etc... but just for a basic roller package from SAI or one of the dealers? That may make a good retirement project in a few years, lol

12GTS0038- Procharged V6, 6 speed manual

10177469_822481524441986_483326774366117

#24 OFFLINE   CSX4833

CSX4833

CSM12SS0077

• Northern Plains Region
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 03-March 12
  • Region:Northern Plains
  • Interests:Music, & anything having to do with high performance automobiles.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

I had a CSX 4000 series with the Shelby 427 aluminum block and although somewhat different than the 289 FIA I think there are also similarities. I sold the CSX as it was not really practical as it took a long time to get up to operating temp before driving, and would "beat" me up after driving a long time. It was very hot with the heat from the 427. On the plus side, it got a lot of looks and turned a lot of heads. It was loud and the torque was unbelievable! There are a lot of replicas and it was a constant source of discussion. No computers monitoring the engine's performance. In this case, less is more. Less electronics, more maintenance. I enjoyed driving the car but the inconveniences outweighed the joy (at least at my age).
Posted Image

2012 Kona Blue Super Snake, Torsen T-2 limited slip, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, KB 3.6LC, glass roof, Alcoa SS wheels, 3.73 gears, Shelby LCA and UCA, Shelby upgraded interior, carbon fiber console and radio bezel. Carroll Shelby signed air bag cover. Shelby Billet E-brake handle. Aluminun SS brake fluid reservoir cover. Shelby aluminum fuse box cover. Escort 9500ix detector mounted to rear view mirror. SS aluminum dead pedal. Carbon Fiber radiator cover. KB polished 4.5 CAI. Shelby hood struts. Blue silicone GT 500 hose kit. Super Snake black fuel door. Shelby battery cover. SHR billet arm rests and door locks.

#25 OFFLINE   GT500-07

GT500-07

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Northeast Region
  • 5,453 posts
  • Joined 30-June 07
  • Interests:cars

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

I had a CSX 4000 series with the Shelby 427 aluminum block and although somewhat different than the 289 FIA I think there are also similarities. I sold the CSX as it was not really practical as it took a long time to get up to operating temp before driving, and would "beat" me up after driving a long time. It was very hot with the heat from the 427. On the plus side, it got a lot of looks and turned a lot of heads. It was loud and the torque was unbelievable! There are a lot of replicas and it was a constant source of discussion. No computers monitoring the engine's performance. In this case, less is more. Less electronics, more maintenance. I enjoyed driving the car but the inconveniences outweighed the joy (at least at my age).

ditto

#26 OFFLINE   MY500SS

MY500SS

Team Shelby Addict

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 23,362 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

I have never actually checked into it, but what does a roller slabside run? I know complete cars from the dealers can be up there depending on engine choice, etc... but just for a basic roller package from SAI or one of the dealers? That may make a good retirement project in a few years, lol

It's been 4 years since I shopped it but I say a pretty good guess would be 60-70k for fiberglass and 90-100k for aluminum.

1963 L76 Corvette.

Posted Image

#27 OFFLINE   sfm6s1675

sfm6s1675

Team Shelby New Member

• 98 posts
  • Joined 04-January 08

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Actually they're now $84,995 for a fiberglass roller. I've been working with the area distributor but the price is a lot higher than what I expected. Plus you have to add the engine, tranny, installation of such, and everything to make it a turn-key car. Price zoomed up well over 100K pretty quickly.

The distributor did let me drive his 427. That car was a beast. I now understand when people say driving one is simultaneously the most fun and most uncomfortable time driving a car one can have. Hot, loud, rough, but what a blast. I now see that this car would beat you up in no time.

The 289 should be a lot more docile. Anyway, am strongly considering buying one. Thanks for everyone's thoughts, they were very helpful.

Past Owner of:

#28 OFFLINE   MY500SS

MY500SS

Team Shelby Addict

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 23,362 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

Actually they're now $84,995 for a fiberglass roller. I've been working with the area distributor but the price is a lot higher than what I expected. Plus you have to add the engine, tranny, installation of such, and everything to make it a turn-key car. Price zoomed up well over 100K pretty quickly.

The distributor did let me drive his 427. That car was a beast. I now understand when people say driving one is simultaneously the most fun and most uncomfortable time driving a car one can have. Hot, loud, rough, but what a blast. I now see that this car would beat you up in no time.

The 289 should be a lot more docile. Anyway, am strongly considering buying one. Thanks for everyone's thoughts, they were very helpful.

Wow, that's a pretty hefty jump since I ordered mine......but if you've got the funds :shift:

1963 L76 Corvette.

Posted Image

#29 OFFLINE   SGT1171

SGT1171

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts
  • Joined 23-June 07

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:25 AM

I love driving CSX 8289. The car is very dependable, but I drive it almost weekly. The weather has very nice lately and I drove it to work everyday for the past 2 weeks. It does fine in traffic and has more than enough power. I have a 289 HiPo, 306 HP, and a tremec TKO500. I have had the car on the road course and the dragstrip several times at Mid-America. I highly recommend the car!!
Shane

This sounds like the type of set up i am interested in for a new 289 FIA 50th. Would very much like to learn more specifics and details about your engine and transmission . And any one else's thoughts.
Thanks.
Posted Image

#30 OFFLINE   ITHERTZ66

ITHERTZ66

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Joined 18-January 10
  • Region:Other

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:13 AM

OK, I'm going to jump in here.  I've driven 2 Cobras.  One was my buddies ERA 427 body with a serious 351 and a 6 speed transmission.  I honestly didn't like the 6 speed as I was working too hard trying to learn it with my limited seat time in this powerful car.  The car was scary - loud and fast (did I say scary).  It was well sorted out and the owner frequently races it and drives it to the edge of it's capabilities.  It would take me quite a bit of seat time to get comfy with such a car.

Then I had the opportunity to drive a REAL 289 car.  After the owner hired me to photograph it, he offered me the keys.  I refused ($600++K car!), but 30 seconds later I came to my senses realizing I would kick myself for not taking this opportunity.  Glad I did!  The owner was really cool and we cruised the LONG way home and he encouraged me to have as much fun as possible.  The sun was just starting to go down and it was a mid 70s summer day.  Perfect!  I will never forget it.  The stock 271 HP 289 is perfect for these cars, and so is the 4 speed transmission.  I would have no need for a 5 speed or 6 speed in such a car as these are not long distance cruisers.  The 4 speed is so simple, so strong, and keeps your attention on the important stuff (not missing gears).  You need all that attention, b/c driving these machines is a full sensory experience. I found the stock 289 setup very well mannered on the street.  No more difficult to brake, steer and drive than my '65 Mustang.  Just a whole lot more fun (if you can fit in the car).  For me, it was difficult to fit in the small car, and had to drive it without shoes.  Here she is...

cobra20x30web.jpg?w=648

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users