thewheelman

The Wheel Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 02-July 08
  • Region:Decline

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

This used to be a LOT easier! A few months ago I installed an ipod interface in my GT 500 after my son told me how easy it was to swap the radio out in his 06 GT. This afternoon I put in a Shelby dead pedal.......I tried to take pics of both, but sweat kept dripping either: in my eyes, on the camera, on the parts or other places that made me jump and squirm. I couldn't hold the camera steady because I had to have one hand to keep myself steady because my knees were hurting so bad I couldn't stay still. Man, that concrete's gotten a LOT harder than it used to be. And who has fingers small enough to get that a/c switch loose without losing either your patience, mind or skin off all your knuckles? Ok, ok, I'll admit my body is not as youthfully supple as it used to be.....but I really think it used to be a lot easier! I've taken almost 2 hours to put in the dead pedal and put a license plate frame on the car. I just came in huffing and puffing and wiping sweat and my wife said, "What is it, age? Weight? Knees? Back?" Most of the time she's very helpful...I just replied, "All of the above." Anybody know what the drying time is for sweat on paint? I was about to put the sill plate back down, but spent at least as much time cleaning sweat off as I did pulling the thing out! And another thing! I know I'm not THAT blind! Is the goal of 3M body tape to keep you from pulling the red liner off at all costs????? I KNOW I spent at least as much time trying to separate the tape from the red plastic as I did pushing that little plastic pin back in the hole it was never intended to come out of......I'm looking for a chimpanzee to help with my next mod......if there ever is one! BTW, my generation called it "souping them up". Mod was a squad on tv.......

"Holy *#@%, where's the Tylenol?"

Have a good weekend.......mod-on!
Hal

2007 GT 500 Convertible (Certified Pre-production unit)
Built 5/12/06, #19 of 2695 convertible, #2 of 108 Alloy Metallic
http://picasaweb.goo...500Convertible#

"There are only three real sports: bullfighting, motor racing and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."
Ernest Hemingway

"Go on and write me up for 125. Post my face Wanted dead or alive. Take my license and all that jive, I can't drive 55!"
Sammy Hagar, 1984

"Hey, HEY . . . . Let's be careful out there!"
Phillip Freemason Esterhaus, Hill Street Station, 1981

#2 OFFLINE   2007tungstenGT500

2007tungstenGT500

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Joined 07-July 11
  • Region:Southern Plains
  • Interests:.
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

i just installed the dead pedal and it was a little bit of a pain in the ass, for sure. the radio is fairly straightforward, though i cussed those connectors a couple of times myself. once you know how they clip on and off, it's not too bad. look at it this way, now it's done!

gallery_33701_2276_29713.jpg

2007 Ford Shelby GT500

FRPP 2.3L TVS Supercharger Upgrade Kit w/113mm CAI 
FRPP 8.8" Aluminum Axle Cover (Finned)
FRPP Brake Cooling Kit
FRPP Brake Line Upgrade Kit
FRPP Differential Gears (3.73 Ratio)
FRPP SVT Crankshaft Damper
FRPP FR500S Muffler Kit
Shelby Adjustable Panhard Bar
Shelby Anti-Wheel Hop Rear Control Arm Relocation Brackets
Shelby Caster Camber Plates
Shelby Eibach Front & Rear Sway Bar Kit
Shelby Eibach Pro Coil Over Kit
Shelby Extreme Duty Heat Exchanger
Shelby One-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft
Shelby Six Speed Short-Throw Shifter
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Brembo Slotted Sport Rotors (Front)
High Flow Catted X-Pipe
Roush Stock Look 3x Intercooler Reservoir

Jon Lund 93 Octane Tune

#3 OFFLINE   Imatk

Imatk

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Joined 04-November 08

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

Yeah that AC connector can be a total PITA.

I've found, for me at least, that unlike when I was younger I need to set aside a nice long block of time to do any mods.

That way I take my time, take breaks when I get frustrated or need to because my damn back is killing me that sort of thing.

Then it's fun... but sometimes when things go wrong it really is a pain in the ass, and back... and knees :)

#4 OFFLINE   ingram4868

ingram4868

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,363 posts
  • Joined 05-September 05
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Love of God, Family and Great Cars

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

With any project you need a six pack of beer. Drink 3 while reading the instructions and have another every time you pickup a new tool. This keeps you hydrated for all the sweating, you will be less frustrated, concrete is not so hard and by the end of the project your wife is looking pretty sexy.
David Ingram
Sparks, NV.
Newest addition 1100 mile 2007 GT500

#5 OFFLINE   SVT NAJA

SVT NAJA

Enthusiast

• Team Shelby State Director
  • 3,778 posts
  • Joined 15-October 09

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

^^^This...
COMING SOON...

#6 OFFLINE   VTWLKWY

VTWLKWY

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:35 AM

I need two car lifts.. one for the never ending project and one to work on projects... Pete

#7 OFFLINE   TAPD117

TAPD117

GLENN (GG)

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,312 posts
  • Joined 28-November 06
  • Interests:I dig Mustangs & Shelbys. How about them Cowboys!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:49 AM

It sure is "helx" when you get old, a common complaint with all of us baby boomers. I had to laugh at your post. Cheers and hang tight and don't get any on ya................ GG
TAPD117 (My friends call me GG)

2008 Shelby GT/BJ Barrett Jackson Limited Edition Premium Convertible
Arizona Only Dealers Option Black With Red Stripes - 08SGT2290

1 of 100 SGT/BJ Limited Edition Mustangs (61 Coupes-39 Convertibles)
1 of 39 SGT/BJ Convertibles
1 of 11 SGT/BJ Convertible Automatics
1 of 5 SGT/BJ Convertible Automatics with Shaker 1000

Arkansas License Plate: SGT-BJ
SAI Transaction Notes & Results for 08SGT2290
AAI Build Date 11/26/2007
Dispatched for Shipping (Shipment NO. 2787) 01/31/2008
Marked as SHIPPED from Las Vegas SAI 02/06/2008
New Vehicle Purchase Date 08/25/2009

HID/IUP/AMB/ANTI-THEFT/SAT/6-Way Seat/Leather Interior/Barrett Jackson Headrest & Console Covers
CDC Sequential Tail Lights/Shaker 1000-Rather have NAV/Shelby Billet Engine Cap Set

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield, here is the wisdom of life"

#8 OFFLINE   MarcInUtah

MarcInUtah

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined 12-July 12
  • Region:Mountain

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

I can tell you I sold my 04 Cobra that was near 700HP to the rear wheels. I did this because I can't work on cars like I used too. My back is pretty much destroyed. Matter of fact, the military might medical board me into retirement after almost 29 years of service. This is the main reason I ordered a new 2013 Shelby GT500. I want something that is fast and if it breaks, I take it to a dealer to fix under warranty.

#9 OFFLINE   6-Speed

6-Speed

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Joined 27-July 07
  • Interests:2007 GT500

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

You just reminded me what a pain it was to install that dead pedal under a single bolt ... having to twist and contort myself in front of the driver's seat. I was sore for an entire week.

#10 OFFLINE   thewheelman

thewheelman

The Wheel Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 02-July 08
  • Region:Decline

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

I can tell you I sold my 04 Cobra that was near 700HP to the rear wheels. I did this because I can't work on cars like I used too. My back is pretty much destroyed. Matter of fact, the military might medical board me into retirement after almost 29 years of service. This is the main reason I ordered a new 2013 Shelby GT500. I want something that is fast and if it breaks, I take it to a dealer to fix under warranty.

Oh yeah! I gave up regular maintenance LONG ago....quit changing oil when I couldn't get up off the creeper by myself! I'm so sore today I can barely walk!
Hal

2007 GT 500 Convertible (Certified Pre-production unit)
Built 5/12/06, #19 of 2695 convertible, #2 of 108 Alloy Metallic
http://picasaweb.goo...500Convertible#

"There are only three real sports: bullfighting, motor racing and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."
Ernest Hemingway

"Go on and write me up for 125. Post my face Wanted dead or alive. Take my license and all that jive, I can't drive 55!"
Sammy Hagar, 1984

"Hey, HEY . . . . Let's be careful out there!"
Phillip Freemason Esterhaus, Hill Street Station, 1981

#11 OFFLINE   lbj

lbj

Team Shelby Member

• Mountain Region
  • 777 posts
  • Joined 24-May 12
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Bulova Accutron Spaceview watches from the 1960s

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

Me too.

It used to be fun doing water pumps and things.

Now, I go have it done somwhere.

Not only is it hard to bend and get under things, think about those cut and scaped knuckles and hands.
Remember those?

I don't miss it.

I was pretty good up until around 50 or so.

Edited by lbj, 29 September 2012 - 08:15 PM.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW shifter, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Boss 302 Torsen T2R w/4:10s, Dynotech DS, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

My624HPGTS.jpg

#12 OFFLINE   Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

After reading some of the complaints from all these decrepit old farts, I feel like I have found some kindred spirit's.

2013 GT500 Coupe - HPW with Black Stripes - SVT PP - SVT TP - Redline Hood Struts - Yeager Bros Front Gravel Guards - Bob's Oil Separator -AirAid Blue Non-Oiled Air Filter - CarboTech 1521 Ceramic Brake Pads - Resonator Eliminator Kit - WeatherTech Floor Mats - Craig’s No Drill License Plate Bracket
Car Ordered 5-27-2012 - Build Date 1-14-2013 - Delivered 1-26-2013

#13 OFFLINE   Husky44

Husky44

Team Shelby New Member

• Pacific Northwest Region
  • 167 posts
  • Joined 24-August 12
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:Cars
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

I turned 47 today... You guys are making me dread turning 80.

:poke:
2013 GT500 Convertible: Grabber Blue, Black Stripes, SVTPP, NAV, Recaros, Shaker Pro
Posted Image

1967 Mustang Convertible: Restomod (in progress)--347, TF heads and intake, World Class T5, 8.8 with 4:10s, Cobra 4 wheel disc brakes...

#14 OFFLINE   patrickshelby

patrickshelby

Team Shelby Member

• World-Wide Region
  • 944 posts
  • Joined 20-October 08
  • Region:European Union

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:03 AM

It sure is "helx" when you get old, a common complaint with all of us baby boomers. I had to laugh at your post. Cheers and hang tight and don't get any on ya................ GG

+1
Experience is what you have learned by the time it has become useless. :hysterical:

#15 OFFLINE   TAPD117

TAPD117

GLENN (GG)

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,312 posts
  • Joined 28-November 06
  • Interests:I dig Mustangs & Shelbys. How about them Cowboys!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:51 AM

After reading some of the complaints from all these decrepit old farts, I feel like I have found some kindred spirit's.

Hey Snoopy one thing is for sure, everyone eventually becomes an "old fart", you start feeling it at 50 and between 55-60 it really takes hold, but you also become wiser and have all the toys...... GG :hysterical2:
TAPD117 (My friends call me GG)

2008 Shelby GT/BJ Barrett Jackson Limited Edition Premium Convertible
Arizona Only Dealers Option Black With Red Stripes - 08SGT2290

1 of 100 SGT/BJ Limited Edition Mustangs (61 Coupes-39 Convertibles)
1 of 39 SGT/BJ Convertibles
1 of 11 SGT/BJ Convertible Automatics
1 of 5 SGT/BJ Convertible Automatics with Shaker 1000

Arkansas License Plate: SGT-BJ
SAI Transaction Notes & Results for 08SGT2290
AAI Build Date 11/26/2007
Dispatched for Shipping (Shipment NO. 2787) 01/31/2008
Marked as SHIPPED from Las Vegas SAI 02/06/2008
New Vehicle Purchase Date 08/25/2009

HID/IUP/AMB/ANTI-THEFT/SAT/6-Way Seat/Leather Interior/Barrett Jackson Headrest & Console Covers
CDC Sequential Tail Lights/Shaker 1000-Rather have NAV/Shelby Billet Engine Cap Set

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield, here is the wisdom of life"

#16 OFFLINE   Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

Relevant old quote.
"If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."

2013 GT500 Coupe - HPW with Black Stripes - SVT PP - SVT TP - Redline Hood Struts - Yeager Bros Front Gravel Guards - Bob's Oil Separator -AirAid Blue Non-Oiled Air Filter - CarboTech 1521 Ceramic Brake Pads - Resonator Eliminator Kit - WeatherTech Floor Mats - Craig’s No Drill License Plate Bracket

#17 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

Yep, working on the GT is fun. I did the R&R on my Supercharger when the bearings went out last spring. Leaning inward and lifting the supercharger out and in was tough on my back.

Getting the wheel well liner off the front was even more fun.

Reminds me, I need to order the K&N filter kit for my truck.
Cheers,
Tony

Motto: You can have fun going fast. ... but ... You don't have to go fast to have fun.

Current:
2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition, 650 RWHP, 600 FtLb torque.

Former:
CSX4005LA - Shelby Continuation Series Cobra. The most fun you can legally have, sitting in a chair, in public.
CSM08SGT2228 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, 5-speed, Kenne Bell S/C. Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation Gift at Barrett-Jackson 2009 Scottsdale
CSM08SGT2247 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, Automatic. Kenne Bell S/C installed. WHOOT!
Simple Mods: Electrochromic mirror with compass/temp/HomeLink, Ford HD Radio with iPod, lower billet grill insert, sequential tail lights.

#18 OFFLINE   HARLEYDEALER

HARLEYDEALER

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Joined 04-February 07
  • Interests:I am in to anything with wheels and a motor, fast is good, faster is better. Been a mechanic all my life but for a living about 14 years. Love working on my cars, do most of the the work in my shed on a two post lift on my four cars, shelby GT500, 2006 Z06 corvett, 2005 H2 Hummer and 2002 suburban. Done mods on all. All so I am in to guns, rc cars ,trucks, buggies and boats and planes, old slot machines and hit and miss engines. Also fishing, yard work and most of PRETTY women!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Age is mental and physical, but attitude is everything, well almost! A good can do attitude, along with the mechanical skills, you can do most anything with/on your car! Two lifts would go along way also, as Pete said! But I'm still a young, great looking 63 old dude, that's pretty sexy too!

#19 OFFLINE   Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

To bad they don't make a little blue pill that would not only get us up, but running.

#20 OFFLINE   Helix

Helix

Lincoln Cobra

• Great Lakes Region
  • 934 posts
  • Joined 27-July 11
  • Region:Great Lakes

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'm 19, so if it helps man....I get the opposite. :P
"Ok....I'll have no problem doing it....if i knew how to do it..."
watch, read, research, etc. but when you do it you still take forever.

347tjwk.jpgzuscip.jpg

2003 Mustang
1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC

#21 OFFLINE   SkyPilot

SkyPilot

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 12-August 06

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

Installed the CDC dead pedal a couple years ago........ARGH. (It looked the best in my opinion since it was the same style as the stock pedals.) But, unless they changed it they told me at Woodward a couple years ago that it was really designed to fit the 05-06 floorpan. They said Ford made a change in the pan starting around 07 but, they were still selling it because if you tightened it up enough the new pan would distort enough for it to work anyway. A pretty UNSAT answer in my book. So I found that if I used about 7 or 8 fender washers under it with a longer bolt I could still get a good angle that laid flush with the floor and didn't bend anything. Still not the perfect answer, but at least you can take it out no harm or foul if you don't like it later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users