Snoopy49

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

The Tom Tom is a neat little gadget, but not a priority. I've navigated the entire lower 48 with just road maps with no problem -- I just thought the Tom Tom might be useful in the cities.

Rick

Not to mention that the Tom Tom probably has lifetime traffic and maps, which the NAV doesn't have and it can be transfered from car to car, truck or motorcycle.

2013 GT500 Coupe - HPW with Black Stripes - SVT PP - SVT TP - Redline Hood Struts - Yeager Bros Front Gravel Guards - Bob's Oil Separator -AirAid Blue Non-Oiled Air Filter - CarboTech 1521 Ceramic Brake Pads - Resonator Eliminator Kit - WeatherTech Floor Mats - Craig’s No Drill License Plate Bracket
Car Ordered 5-27-2012 - Build Date 1-14-2013 - Delivered 1-26-2013

#32 OFFLINE   Squirrel 007

Squirrel 007

Ford Retiree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 168 posts
  • Joined 04-September 12
  • Region:Great Lakes

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:45 AM

I did special order the car. Call me "old school," but I never considered the NAV package. Maybe I should've, but it seemed a bit expensive when I can get a Tom Tom for less than $200. And I find it a bit creepy (not to mention ironic) talking to an onboard computer, dictating and confirming cabin temperatures and radio station settings and whatnot, as if I were talking to HAL 2000, when instead, I consider the 2013 GT500 as sort of a modern-day variant of the original AC Cobra, which didn't even have a heater or a radio. The Tom Tom is a neat little gadget, but not a priority. I've navigated the entire lower 48 with just road maps with no problem -- I just thought the Tom Tom might be useful in the cities.

Rick

Oh, I see. 2010 HAL taking control.."What are you doing Dave?" "Daisy, Daisy, Give me your answer do." :hysterical: Ok, I understand, was just a little curious I guess. I hear them old fashioned paper maps that we used to get free at the fillin' station could get you clear cross the whole dern country with no problem. I guess they could work too. Except when my wife reads them. Last time she used one all I remember is me asking, "What exit do I take?" and she said "Give me a minute, let's see, Uh, you take that last exit back there". I like to hear a sexy electronic voice say "Exit on the right in 2 miles, 1-1/2 miles, 1 mile, 1/2 mile, exit right now."

Edited by Squirrel 007, 29 December 2012 - 03:50 AM.

1997 "Eddie Bauer" Explorer 4X4: White

2002 Saleen Extreme Coupe #59: (1 of 56) Mineral Grey

2003 "James Bond" T-Bird (1 of 700): Hard Top + Convertible Top. Coral with White (Hard Top) Black (Soft Top)

2005 Ranger Pick-up 4X4: Extended Cab, Black

2013 Sheby Gt500 Coupe: Black W/White Stripes, (SVTPP, Track Pack, Recaro's, Electronics Pack, Shaker Pro, Car Cover, Louvers & Scoops)

#33 OFFLINE   bergenfelter

bergenfelter

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 460 posts
  • Joined 07-April 12
  • Region:Great Lakes
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

Oh, I see. 2010 HAL taking control.."What are you doing Dave?" "Daisy, Daisy, Give me your answer do." :hysterical: Ok, I understand, was just a little curious I guess. I hear them old fashioned paper maps that we used to get free at the fillin' station could get you clear cross the whole dern country with no problem. I guess they could work too. Except when my wife reads them. Last time she used one all I remember is me asking, "What exit do I take?" and she said "Give me a minute, let's see, Uh, you take that last exit back there". I like to hear a sexy electronic voice say "Exit on the right in 2 miles, 1-1/2 miles, 1 mile, 1/2 mile, exit right now."

It is actually the HAL 9000 logic unit. For you Kubrick purists - the letters H A L preceed the letters I B M in the alphabet.

The heck with the paper maps - just drive around until you find a water tower with the city name on it.

Edited by bergenfelter, 29 December 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   RickW

RickW

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 04-October 12
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Freedom!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

It is actually the HAL 9000 logic unit. For you Kubrick purists - the letters H A L preceed the letters I B M in the alphabet.

The heck with the paper maps - just drive around until you find a water tower with the city name on it.

Dang! Sorry to suggest HAL 2000 when it should have been HAL 9000. It's been a long time!

Interesting connection with HAL and IBM. Any story behind that?

As far as driving around until you find a water tower with the city name on it, that doesn't work so well in the Desert Southwest. We do tend to have good roads, though, which (unless they are on a reservation) lead somewhere, or at least to a convenience store, where one can get enough gas, beer, ammo, and snacks to get to the next place down the road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users