Team Shelby New Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 426 posts
  • Joined 25-December 11
  • Region:Northern Plains
  • Interests:farming and ranching, travelling, grandkids and car shows
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

We are just starting the snowbird thing and would like to find someplace-just for a couple of months Feb and March. We have friends that go to Casa Grande to the mobile home parks and have visited there but that is not what we're looking for. They golf, go to garage sales and flea markets and not much else. We don't do any of that and would like somewhere that has more to do particularly with other car enthusiasts, car shows etc. We are very familiar with Vegas but haven't been there for any length of time to know what else there is besides the tourist scene. Any suggestions?

#2 OFFLINE   rocky

rocky

Team Shelby New Member

• Northeast Region
  • 379 posts
  • Joined 21-November 11
  • Region:Northeast

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

My brother lives in Az. and he tells me that in the south it gets very hot but the north is a lot cooler, so if the heat is a problem stay to the north part of the state, other than that I know very little about Az. I have been to vagas and there is a lot to do around the area but again it seemed hot to me.

#3 OFFLINE   verlyn12

verlyn12

Team Shelby New Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 426 posts
  • Joined 25-December 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

My brother lives in Az. and he tells me that in the south it gets very hot but the north is a lot cooler, so if the heat is a problem stay to the north part of the state, other than that I know very little about Az. I have been to vagas and there is a lot to do around the area but again it seemed hot to me.

Thanks for replying. Vegas is really hot from May to October for sure. I just know we're aren't ready for the type of thing our neighbors do but would like to leave South Dakota for a month or so when it is coldest here. Thanks again.

#4 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

In the summer the desert part of AZ is hot - Phoenix south. The mountains are more temperate - just north of Phoenix as you start to head into the mountains there are bands where the temperatures are moderate year around but you can get snow (e.g., Payson), and then north all the way to Flagstaff and you're in th emountains with winter and snow.

Las Vegas climate is more like the Phoenix/Tucson. Summers are desert hot. Winter does happen, trees do drop their leaves (as some trees do in even in Phoenix), snow is rare as a hen's tooth and when it does people have no clue how to drive.

Both places are sweater or light jacket morning, nicer in the afternoons. You can tell how long people have been there - snowbirds wear short sleeve shirts, long term residens wear long sleeves or sweaters.

Edited by twobjshelbys, 22 October 2012 - 12:00 PM.

Cheers,
Tony

Motto: You can have fun going fast. ... but ... You don't have to go fast to have fun.

Current:
2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition, 650 RWHP, 600 FtLb torque.

Former:
CSX4005LA - Shelby Continuation Series Cobra. The most fun you can legally have, sitting in a chair, in public.
CSM08SGT2228 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, 5-speed, Kenne Bell S/C. Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation Gift at Barrett-Jackson 2009 Scottsdale
CSM08SGT2247 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, Automatic. Kenne Bell S/C installed. WHOOT!
Simple Mods: Electrochromic mirror with compass/temp/HomeLink, Ford HD Radio with iPod, lower billet grill insert, sequential tail lights.

#5 OFFLINE   JeffJ

JeffJ

Hertz #102

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 4,163 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07
  • Region:Mountain

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

One thing for sure, is that the car culture in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area in the winter is intense. When I do make it down there in January time frame, there are a couple mall cruizes on Friday/Saturday nights with literally hundereds of cars. Many Coloradan's winter in Phoenix. Lots of my car friends that can afford to head there. That is what I would do given the opportunity, but that will never happen with all our horses and other critters that we have year around.
JeffJ
2006 Shelby GTH-SC #102
2013 Roush RS - Daily Driver
1993 F150 Lightning #711
1989 AutoKraft/Kenny Brown Short Wheel Base T-bird #001 with a 1969 Supercharged Boss 302 5 speed
1994 AutoKraft Short Wheel Base Lincoln MK VIII #006
1999 F-350 Powerstoke Pony Hauler (Both 4 legged and 4 tired!)
1990 7-Up LX 5.0 Convert - Auto (current basket case, building for my daughter's first car)
1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster 5.0 Coyote, PA Auto with paddle shift
1972 Ford F100 Shortbed 390 auto
1951 Ford F6 Dump Truck powered by 1985 Ford roller 5.0, full tilt font, can haul 6 tons of rock and run a 18.0 quarter!
2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 V8 - Wifes driver

#6 OFFLINE   verlyn12

verlyn12

Team Shelby New Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 426 posts
  • Joined 25-December 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

One thing for sure, is that the car culture in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area in the winter is intense. When I do make it down there in January time frame, there are a couple mall cruizes on Friday/Saturday nights with literally hundereds of cars. Many Coloradan's winter in Phoenix. Lots of my car friends that can afford to head there. That is what I would do given the opportunity, but that will never happen with all our horses and other critters that we have year around.

That's good to know-will look into that. Thanks.

#7 OFFLINE   jnf

jnf

Team Shelby Member

• Mountain Region
  • 1,004 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Car enthusiast wise, Vegas is pretty nice during those months.
Car shows are starting up for the season.
Shelby is here.
There is a Cars and Coffee event every Saturday morning. Great Shelby turnout there. Usually about 200 to 300 cars weekly.
Also,another similar event on Sunday mornings on the north end of town.
Shelby is here.
Oh, did I say that Shelby is here. :D
Jim

07 GT 500 Coupe
White w/ Vista Blue stripes
SLP Loud mouth exhaust
Ford Racing Short Throw with Shelby Ball
Custom CS 69 Special Edition 20" wheels
BMR Upper and lower control arms and brackets
BMR panhard bar, brace and relocation bracket
Eibach Pro lowering springs struts and shocks with front and rear sway bars
Shelby adjustable front end links
VMP 2.59 pulley and tune
JLT Big Air carbon fiber CAI
McLeod RXT twin disc clutch
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 OFFLINE   awakeinAZ

awakeinAZ

Team Shelby Member

• Mountain Region
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

I live in Tucson so if you have more specific questions feel free to pm me.

Edited by awakeinAZ, 24 October 2012 - 04:22 PM.

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   ingram4868

ingram4868

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,363 posts
  • Joined 05-September 05
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Love of God, Family and Great Cars

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Palm Springs is also a nice vacation spot, especially for golfers.
David Ingram
Sparks, NV.
Newest addition 1100 mile 2007 GT500

#10 OFFLINE   springer

springer

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Palm Springs, the ultimate winter spot. Plus, it's a couple hours from LA or San Diego and three of four hours from Vegas. I would definitely opt for Palm Springs where I lived for almost four years.

Go Palm Springs!
If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play!
Shelby Baer Extreme brakes, CS 69 wheels
Shelby installed Revan heat exchanger
Shelby installed Diablo Predator tune

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Jer

Jer

Jer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,236 posts
  • Joined 22-December 07
  • Interests:My wife, my dogs, my cat, cars, and music. NHRA addict.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Car enthusiast wise, Vegas is pretty nice during those months.
Car shows are starting up for the season.
Shelby is here.
There is a Cars and Coffee event every Saturday morning. Great Shelby turnout there. Usually about 200 to 300 cars weekly.
Also,another similar event on Sunday mornings on the north end of town.
Shelby is here.
Oh, did I say that Shelby is here. :D

Made ME move here!

BTW, still haven't made it out to a Cars and Coffee event - At Guitar Center, I worked every Saturday!
Looking forward to it sometime.

Jer
2007 SGT/SC # 446 - White, 5spd, Whipple 550 HO with Shelby/C&R radiator and heat exchanger upgrade, Painted stripes (rockers and Le Mans), painted lower fascia (a tribute to Whitey), Shelby Deep Draw (2 3/8") Hood with custom GT350 mesh inserts, Shelby brake duct/driving light bezels with PIAA 510XT lights, Shelby custom underbody front brake duct inlets and fabricated brake cooling plates, Terlingua billet hood pin plates, Shelby tensioner support brace, Shelby race-fabricated valve covers, Dark Charcoal Gray Interior and dash (signed by Carroll), IUP, Active Anti-Theft, Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT with XM Radio, NAV, HD Radio, DVD video touchscreen, Bluetooth, rearview camera, etc... Infinity Reference speakers, Shelby Kicker door subwoofers, trunk sub, and 4.1 amp, Chrome 20X9 Shelby-logoed Razors (ET24) with Nitto 555s (255 front, 275 rear), Baer Extreme+ 6 piston brakes all around, A'te Super Blue brake fluid, Goodridge s/s brakelines, SLP Loudmouths, Aeroforce Terminator gauge, Shelby gauge pod, CS Supercharged faux gas cap logo, billet lower grille, updated 2008-style front grille mount, grille, Shelby billet hood pin kit and pony emblem, Shelby floormats and trunk mat, Shelby Harness Bar, CG-Lock seatbelts, Shelby GT engine cap set and period-correct "Shelby Automobiles" license plate frames, Moroso and Shelby tanks, brake fluid reservoir, and fusebox cover, shorty antenna, Shelby billet fuel fill door, 3/4 window louvers, Shelby upper control arm and mount and lower control arms, CHE K-member brace w/ torque limiters, sequential taillights, Shelby billet Watts link, Ford Racing 3.73:1 gearset, Shelby GT500KR diff cover, de-rusted and painted rear axle housing, Eaton True Trac limited-slip differential, Moser axles, Strange Engineering axle studs, Shelby GT500KR Axle Reservoir, full of Mobil 1 with Ford Racing filter. H3R HalGuard fire extinguisher with Shelby and Brey-Krause mounting, Shelby Helmet and Driving Jacket. Of course I have lots and lots of Shelby doodads, knicknacks, merch, apparel, bling, and bric-a-brac. Many Shelby certificates and Monroney sticker shiny and intact. Fender SGT guitar. Tolerant wife.

Shelby Vegas Bash 2011 and 2012 Show Winner.

Lift #15
Technicians: John Orr/Randall LaViolette
2/13/2007 9:26:32 AM: Dash Badge Installed
2/13/2007 9:26:34 AM: Shelby Letters Installed
2/13/2007 9:26:35 AM: Side badges installed both sides

That's when it became OFFICIAL, in my opinion! A Shelby was born!
CUTE COINCIDENCE: The NEXT DAY, I was in Vegas getting married. True story.

UPDATE: In 2009, I drove cross-country with my wife from NY in the SGT and finally just MOVED here. I figured Vegas was lucky for me.
UPDATE: GT/SC upgrade completed at SAI on July 22, 2011.
UPDATE: Left Guitar Center and joined SA as Vice President, Shelby Performance Parts, August 2012-May 2014

#12 OFFLINE   awakeinAZ

awakeinAZ

Team Shelby Member

• Mountain Region
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

The cars and coffee in Vegas is GREAT. Have been a few times.
Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   jnf

jnf

Team Shelby Member

• Mountain Region
  • 1,004 posts
  • Joined 01-December 08

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Jer, you definitely need to get out to Cars n Coffee.
Always a good turnout.
There are also a couple of good breakfast joints as well as an Einsteins Bagel shop in the center.
Jim

07 GT 500 Coupe
White w/ Vista Blue stripes
SLP Loud mouth exhaust
Ford Racing Short Throw with Shelby Ball
Custom CS 69 Special Edition 20" wheels
BMR Upper and lower control arms and brackets
BMR panhard bar, brace and relocation bracket
Eibach Pro lowering springs struts and shocks with front and rear sway bars
Shelby adjustable front end links
VMP 2.59 pulley and tune
JLT Big Air carbon fiber CAI
McLeod RXT twin disc clutch
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 OFFLINE   verlyn12

verlyn12

Team Shelby New Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 426 posts
  • Joined 25-December 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

Thanks everybody. I have been looking on line at some rental units at the rv resorts and also the car club events and starting to put things together. We visited freinds at Casa Grande a few days (like a weekend) the last couple of years and knew that scene wasn't for us. The other thing that is interesting is that our friends are about 70 and have been going for 10 years-inlaws started going south about age 58. We visited events at 3 rv parks and didn't see people in that 60 range at all. The only conclusion we came to was that people our age are working longer or buying vacation homes because of the much lower prices. I am retiring in 11 months at 62 and hubby will be 65 so we are a few years behind when the inlaws started.
We are planning on attending the bash so will look into the rv parks and park model rentals before we bring a camper. I am thinking that with car events and also hubby is a Shriner so instead of flea markets and garage sales we will be able to find things that we enjoy. The Scottsdale and Mesa areas are intriguing as well. Looking forward to this retirement thing!!

#15 OFFLINE   frydguy79

frydguy79

TEAM SHELBY NORTHERN PLAINS DIRECTOR

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 2,467 posts
  • Joined 14-August 07

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

you could just come to kansas you know Verlyn, it is the land of Aaahs

TEAM SHELBY REGIONAL DIRECTOR
NORTHERN PLAINS REGION
2008 GT 500 ARREST ME Red/White Stripe Coupe
Red/Black Interior Pkg
HID Head lights Sat Radio
Ambient Lighting
3.5 DSS ONE PIECE DRIVESHAFT
MCLEOD RXT TWIN DISC RACE CLUTCH
SHELBY FAYS 2 WATTS LINK

SHELBY GT00 KR ALCOA'S
FRRP 3.73'S
FRRP KR SHIFTER
J&M RED UCA
J&M RED LCA'S

C&R TWIN FAN H/E
Sold it to myself!!!
DAMN PUSHY SALES PERSON!!
Sold Date 02-14-2008
# 777 of 1367 Red 2008 Coupes
# 3627 of total 2008 coupes
50TH BASH # 177
Personalized plates ...... TRPL 7S
banner.gt500red.jpg

#16 OFFLINE   verlyn12

verlyn12

Team Shelby New Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 426 posts
  • Joined 25-December 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

you could just come to kansas you know Verlyn, it is the land of Aaahs

Gotta get my red Dorothy sparkly shoes ready!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users