Photo

GT500KR is one of five great automotive remakes...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mustangcollector

Mustangcollector

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 25-March 12
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Family, Shelbys and Mustangs!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

If you didn't see the brief article by Rob Sass on Hagerty's website last week here's a link to it, "Take Two: Five great automotive remakes." The Shelby GT500KR and Ford GT are both on the list.

http://www.hagerty.c...omotive-remakes
1967 Mustang Coupe - Black
1987 Mustang LX Convertible - Black
1965 Mustang Coupe - Dynasty Green
2010 Mustang GT Convertible - Candy Red
2012 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Black
2008 Shelby GT500KR - Black

#2 OFFLINE   clark17357

clark17357

Member Terlingua Racing Team, Team Shelby Member #499

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,802 posts
  • Joined 20-August 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Very cool. Thanks for posting.

Jim

th_Alcoa023.jpg th_Alcoa027.jpg th_Alcoa035.jpg th_Alcoa021.jpg th_Spin1.jpg

2008 Shelby GT Mustang, Vista Blue with Silver Stripes, 5-Speed, Coupe, CSM Number 08SGT0282. Shelby Las Vegas Mod Shop additions: Center gauge cluster, Kenne Bell polished supercharger, Lower grille with front and rear brake ducts w/o driving lights, Sequential directional lights. Installed post Mod Shop: AP Racing brakes (6-piston front, 4-piston rear), Fays2 Watts Link, GT500KR wheels and Goodyear F1 Supercar tires, Compass/temp/homelink rear view mirror, IUP gauges retrofit, Roger's IUP steering wheel, Metco upper and lower control arms, BBR 3.5" aluminum drive shaft, BMR front drive shaft safety loop; Autopower four point roll bar, Autopower five point racing harnesses (both sides), camber/caster plates, JBA shorty headers, QTP exhaust cutouts, Safecraft fire suppression system, Shelby/Revan Racing radiator, heat exchanger, and Shelby/Revan Racing black anodized underhood tanks, and Ford Racing power steering cooler. McCloud twin disk clutch with aluminum flywheel.  Dyno results: 453 rear wheel torque, 447 rear wheel horse power @ 67 degrees F, 75% humidity @ sea level.

#3 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Yep, as is the new T-bird. 3 of 5 are Fords.
Cheers,
Tony

Motto: You can have fun going fast. ... but ... You don't have to go fast to have fun.

Current:
2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition, 650 RWHP, 600 FtLb torque.

Former:
CSX4005LA - Shelby Continuation Series Cobra. The most fun you can legally have, sitting in a chair, in public.
CSM08SGT2228 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, 5-speed, Kenne Bell S/C. Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation Gift at Barrett-Jackson 2009 Scottsdale
CSM08SGT2247 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, Automatic. Kenne Bell S/C installed. WHOOT!
Simple Mods: Electrochromic mirror with compass/temp/HomeLink, Ford HD Radio with iPod, lower billet grill insert, sequential tail lights.

#4 OFFLINE   REAL ONE

REAL ONE

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Joined 26-October 09

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

I thought the T Bird was a flop when it came out and it was a flop. Did not like the styling and performance was dull. It died out quickly. Rightfully so.

Mystery why it makes a list of "greatest remakes".

Shelby Continuation Series 427, CSX 4206 (Raven Black. Aluminum bodied. Power: 1965 427 SO with dual quads)

'05 Mark IV Red Ford GT #1414

'09 Torch Red GT500KR

2012 Boss 302 CO,

'07 White Shelby GT (son's really)

'13 F150 Raptor Crew Cab metallic black with bead locks and all the bells and whistles

U.S. Army Rangers. Mess with the best, die like the rest. Want 72 virgins? They'll hook you up.

#5 OFFLINE   clark17357

clark17357

Member Terlingua Racing Team, Team Shelby Member #499

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,802 posts
  • Joined 20-August 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

I thought the T Bird was a flop when it came out and it was a flop. Did not like the styling and performance was dull. It died out quickly. Rightfully so.

Mystery why it makes a list of "greatest remakes".

My sense was that it was, in fact, a great remake in terms of it being true to its DNA while still being a modern car. The original T-Birds were not powerful cars so the performance was not any different, historically speaking. I was able to drive a '57 one day and its main attraction was that it turned a lot of heads. We all differ on what we think constitutes a worthy remake. For instance, the Camero is not a remake of the first iteration of that car but, rather, later versions. I prefer the original because that is what we Mustang guys ran against back in '66. I'm just happy the manufacturers are willing to take a chance on remakes.

Jim

th_Alcoa023.jpg th_Alcoa027.jpg th_Alcoa035.jpg th_Alcoa021.jpg th_Spin1.jpg

2008 Shelby GT Mustang, Vista Blue with Silver Stripes, 5-Speed, Coupe, CSM Number 08SGT0282. Shelby Las Vegas Mod Shop additions: Center gauge cluster, Kenne Bell polished supercharger, Lower grille with front and rear brake ducts w/o driving lights, Sequential directional lights. Installed post Mod Shop: AP Racing brakes (6-piston front, 4-piston rear), Fays2 Watts Link, GT500KR wheels and Goodyear F1 Supercar tires, Compass/temp/homelink rear view mirror, IUP gauges retrofit, Roger's IUP steering wheel, Metco upper and lower control arms, BBR 3.5" aluminum drive shaft, BMR front drive shaft safety loop; Autopower four point roll bar, Autopower five point racing harnesses (both sides), camber/caster plates, JBA shorty headers, QTP exhaust cutouts, Safecraft fire suppression system, Shelby/Revan Racing radiator, heat exchanger, and Shelby/Revan Racing black anodized underhood tanks, and Ford Racing power steering cooler. McCloud twin disk clutch with aluminum flywheel.  Dyno results: 453 rear wheel torque, 447 rear wheel horse power @ 67 degrees F, 75% humidity @ sea level.

#6 OFFLINE   JDB

JDB

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 263 posts
  • Joined 13-April 10
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Interests:GT500KR

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

The t-bird was a flop because it was way over priced. But the success of the Mustang can be partly attributed to the t-bird, in that Ford learned from that miscue and priced the base Mustang very affordably. In my opinion, had the t-bird not happened, Ford may have released the Mustang at the wrong price point. Keep in mind that this was pre-recession, when money still flowed like water.

And if you put yourself back in 2002, the full-blooded retro style of the t-bird was still a radical and ballsy move at the time...so I can see why it made the list. The SSR didn't arrive until 2003, so the only thing before the t-bird was the Prowler (also under-powered and over-priced), PT Cruiser, and HHR (which were half-attempts at retro).

#7 OFFLINE   08krrick

08krrick

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 03-October 11
  • Region:Mountain

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

always a mustang driver, but i thought the 67 camaro was gorgeous in it's simplicity, and the new one is awesome too....until you get in and close the door. i'm not claustaphobic much, but when i did, i thought, GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!

#8 OFFLINE   REAL ONE

REAL ONE

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Joined 26-October 09

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Well to each his own. That what make sthe world go round.

Shelby Continuation Series 427, CSX 4206 (Raven Black. Aluminum bodied. Power: 1965 427 SO with dual quads)

'05 Mark IV Red Ford GT #1414

'09 Torch Red GT500KR

2012 Boss 302 CO,

'07 White Shelby GT (son's really)

'13 F150 Raptor Crew Cab metallic black with bead locks and all the bells and whistles

U.S. Army Rangers. Mess with the best, die like the rest. Want 72 virgins? They'll hook you up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users