Photo

GT500KR is one of five great automotive remakes...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mustangcollector

Mustangcollector

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts
  • Joined 25-March 12
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Family, Shelbys and Mustangs!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

If you didn't see the brief article by Rob Sass on Hagerty's website last week here's a link to it, "Take Two: Five great automotive remakes." The Shelby GT500KR and Ford GT are both on the list.

http://www.hagerty.c...omotive-remakes
1967 Mustang Coupe - Black
1987 Mustang LX Convertible - Black
1965 Mustang Coupe - Dynasty Green
2010 Mustang GT Convertible - Candy Red
2012 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Black
2008 Shelby GT500KR - Black

#2 OFFLINE   clark17357

clark17357

Member Terlingua Racing Team, Team Shelby Member #499

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Joined 20-August 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Very cool. Thanks for posting.

Jim

th_Alcoa023.jpg th_Alcoa027.jpg th_Alcoa035.jpg th_Alcoa021.jpg th_Spin1.jpg

2008 Shelby GT Mustang, Vista Blue with Silver Stripes, 5-Speed, Coupe, CSM Number 08SGT0282. Shelby Las Vegas Mod Shop additions: Center gauge cluster, Kenne Bell polished supercharger, Lower grille with front and rear brake ducts w/o driving lights, Sequential directional lights. Installed post Mod Shop: AP Racing brakes (6-piston front, 4-piston rear), Fays2 Watts Link, GT500KR wheels and Goodyear F1 Supercar tires, Compass/temp/homelink rear view mirror, IUP gauges retrofit, Roger's IUP steering wheel, Metco upper and lower control arms, BBR 3.5" aluminum drive shaft, BMR front drive shaft safety loop; Autopower four point roll bar, Autopower five point racing harnesses (both sides), camber/caster plates, JBA shorty headers, QTP exhaust cutouts, Safecraft fire suppression system, Shelby/Revan Racing radiator, heat exchanger, and Shelby/Revan Racing black anodized underhood tanks, and Ford Racing power steering cooler. McCloud twin disk clutch with aluminum flywheel.  Dyno results: 453 rear wheel torque, 447 rear wheel horse power @ 67 degrees F, 75% humidity @ sea level.

#3 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,094 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Yep, as is the new T-bird. 3 of 5 are Fords.
Cheers,
Tony

Motto: You can have fun going fast. ... but ... You don't have to go fast to have fun.

Current:
2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition, 650 RWHP, 600 FtLb torque.

Former:
CSX4005LA - Shelby Continuation Series Cobra. The most fun you can legally have, sitting in a chair, in public.
CSM08SGT2228 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, 5-speed, Kenne Bell S/C. Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation Gift at Barrett-Jackson 2009 Scottsdale
CSM08SGT2247 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, Automatic. Kenne Bell S/C installed. WHOOT!
Simple Mods: Electrochromic mirror with compass/temp/HomeLink, Ford HD Radio with iPod, lower billet grill insert, sequential tail lights.

#4 OFFLINE   REAL ONE

REAL ONE

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 26-October 09

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

I thought the T Bird was a flop when it came out and it was a flop. Did not like the styling and performance was dull. It died out quickly. Rightfully so.

Mystery why it makes a list of "greatest remakes".

CSX 4206 (Raven Black. Power: 1965 427 SO with dual quads)
'05 Mark IV Red Ford GT #1414
'09 Torch Red GT500KR
'07 Performance White Shelby GT

U.S. Army Rangers. Mess with the best, die like the rest. Want 72 virgins? They'll hook you up.

#5 OFFLINE   clark17357

clark17357

Member Terlingua Racing Team, Team Shelby Member #499

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Joined 20-August 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

I thought the T Bird was a flop when it came out and it was a flop. Did not like the styling and performance was dull. It died out quickly. Rightfully so.

Mystery why it makes a list of "greatest remakes".

My sense was that it was, in fact, a great remake in terms of it being true to its DNA while still being a modern car. The original T-Birds were not powerful cars so the performance was not any different, historically speaking. I was able to drive a '57 one day and its main attraction was that it turned a lot of heads. We all differ on what we think constitutes a worthy remake. For instance, the Camero is not a remake of the first iteration of that car but, rather, later versions. I prefer the original because that is what we Mustang guys ran against back in '66. I'm just happy the manufacturers are willing to take a chance on remakes.

Jim

th_Alcoa023.jpg th_Alcoa027.jpg th_Alcoa035.jpg th_Alcoa021.jpg th_Spin1.jpg

2008 Shelby GT Mustang, Vista Blue with Silver Stripes, 5-Speed, Coupe, CSM Number 08SGT0282. Shelby Las Vegas Mod Shop additions: Center gauge cluster, Kenne Bell polished supercharger, Lower grille with front and rear brake ducts w/o driving lights, Sequential directional lights. Installed post Mod Shop: AP Racing brakes (6-piston front, 4-piston rear), Fays2 Watts Link, GT500KR wheels and Goodyear F1 Supercar tires, Compass/temp/homelink rear view mirror, IUP gauges retrofit, Roger's IUP steering wheel, Metco upper and lower control arms, BBR 3.5" aluminum drive shaft, BMR front drive shaft safety loop; Autopower four point roll bar, Autopower five point racing harnesses (both sides), camber/caster plates, JBA shorty headers, QTP exhaust cutouts, Safecraft fire suppression system, Shelby/Revan Racing radiator, heat exchanger, and Shelby/Revan Racing black anodized underhood tanks, and Ford Racing power steering cooler. McCloud twin disk clutch with aluminum flywheel.  Dyno results: 453 rear wheel torque, 447 rear wheel horse power @ 67 degrees F, 75% humidity @ sea level.

#6 OFFLINE   JDB

JDB

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 263 posts
  • Joined 13-April 10
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Interests:GT500KR

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

The t-bird was a flop because it was way over priced. But the success of the Mustang can be partly attributed to the t-bird, in that Ford learned from that miscue and priced the base Mustang very affordably. In my opinion, had the t-bird not happened, Ford may have released the Mustang at the wrong price point. Keep in mind that this was pre-recession, when money still flowed like water.

And if you put yourself back in 2002, the full-blooded retro style of the t-bird was still a radical and ballsy move at the time...so I can see why it made the list. The SSR didn't arrive until 2003, so the only thing before the t-bird was the Prowler (also under-powered and over-priced), PT Cruiser, and HHR (which were half-attempts at retro).

#7 OFFLINE   08krrick

08krrick

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 03-October 11
  • Region:Mountain

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

always a mustang driver, but i thought the 67 camaro was gorgeous in it's simplicity, and the new one is awesome too....until you get in and close the door. i'm not claustaphobic much, but when i did, i thought, GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!

#8 OFFLINE   REAL ONE

REAL ONE

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 26-October 09

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Well to each his own. That what make sthe world go round.

CSX 4206 (Raven Black. Power: 1965 427 SO with dual quads)
'05 Mark IV Red Ford GT #1414
'09 Torch Red GT500KR
'07 Performance White Shelby GT

U.S. Army Rangers. Mess with the best, die like the rest. Want 72 virgins? They'll hook you up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users