Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 08-November 07
  • Region:Decline
  • Interests:Many & Varied

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

AndyGJ,

This article would appear to validate your decision to go with shorty, rather than LT headers.

Also, not sure you have to lower the engine to use the FRPP intake and a strut brace. Others please chime in, but I think the FRPP "V6/Bullit" brace,

M-20201-F, will fit over the intake, w/o modifications...

CSM# 07SGT5537
1 of 2,876 Black, Manual Coupes
Bullitt Steering Wheel
Billet Lower Grille Insert
Ford Racing Front Lower A-Arm Brace
Ford Racing SVT Mustang Wheels
Michelin Pilot A/S Plus 275-40ZR 18 Tires
Tamed The Dragon / U.S. HWY 129; 318 curves in 11 miles!

#32 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08
  • Region:South Atlantic

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

Thanks avidShelby!!

That article was good info. I wish they would have shown a stock exhaust manifold dyno run to compare to they could show the actual gains from either upgrade...I'm sure it was a substantial change, but would be interested to see what the gains actually were.

Thanks,
Andy.

Present Mustang:
2008 Shelby GT Convertible #1676

Mods Installed:
BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 Tires (275/40/R18 Front & Rear)
CDC Sequential Tail Lights
FRPP GT500KR Axleback Mufflers
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body
FRPP Boss 302 Low Expansion Brakelines
Hawk HPS Brake Pads (front & rear)
JBA Tuned Length Ceramic Shorty Headers
LD's Performance Custom Tuning (91 & 93 Octane) w/SCT-X3 Tuner
Redline Hood Struts (w/update kit)
Royal Purple Synthetic Oil 5w20

Royal Purple Differential Gear Lub

Royal Purple Manual Transmission Fluid
Shelby Lower Radiator Grill Insert - Black
Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers
Shelby GT Berg Snake Faux Gas Cap
Shelby GT Berg Snake Front Floor Mats & Trunk Mat
Shelby Plain Rear Seat Floor Mats
Shelby Billet Engine Cap Set
Shelby Billet Fusebox Cover
Shelby Transmission Cooler Scoop
Shelby Front Brake Duct Cooling Kit

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link
Performance Brake Slotted & Cross Drilled Rotors (front & rear)
Ford Motorcraft DOT4 Brake Fluid
Steeda CAI Intake Elbow w/Black Tube
Steeda Motor Mounts (red inserts)
Steeda Under Drive Pulley

Prior Mustangs:

1968 Mustang Coupe - Midnight Blue
1966 Mustang Convertible 289v2 - Red w/black top & interior (still in the family)
1973 Mustang Convertible 351W - Poppy Red w/black top & interior - MCA Senior Division Grand National Retired Winner
1989 Mustang Hatchback 5.0 w/5spd - 25th Anniversary - Red w/red & black interior

#33 OFFLINE   07SGT

07SGT

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Joined 11-January 08

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

The JBA's appear to be, and are advertised, as equal length. That helps somewhat with the scavenging effect.

#34 OFFLINE   Larry T

Larry T

• Canada Region
  • 3,135 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06
  • Region:Canada
  • Interests:UFC, Shelby's , SOA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Great article ... thanks for sharing !!!
NO MANS LAND (1987)

[The car phone in the Porsche rings]
Benjy Taylor: Hello? No, Rick is not here. Who am I? The guy stealing Rick's car...

2006 SHELBY GT-H CSM06H281

#35 OFFLINE   MyBlueHeaven

MyBlueHeaven

evil witha D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts
  • Joined 16-September 10

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

Great article ... thanks for sharing !!!

I agree, too bad it's 12 yrs. old. I'm sure with the advances in engines over the years it would be a diffferent outcome now.

2008 Shelby GT CSM# 08SGT1588
Mods include:

Engine:
Kenne Bell 2.6L Intercooled 9psi, Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams, Ford Racing Valve covers, BBK Ceramic Long tube Headers w/catted x pipe, BBK 62mm throttle body, John Lund racing custom tune, Moroso aluminum coolant / SC coolant, and power steering tanks, Shelby fuse box cover, Shelby brake reservior cover, Borla touring mufflers, JLT Oil Separator.

Suspension and drivetrain
Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Scott Drake Dif cover, Steeda billet lower control arms, Steeda aluminum street adjustable panhard bar, Steeda heavy duty panhard bar brace, FRPP LCA relocation brackets, Bob's axle reservoir kit; Steeda adjustable street upper control arm and mount; Steeda aluminum one piece drieshaft.  BMR tubular radiator support

Exterior:
GT500 Rear Spoiler, Staggered 18" FR500 Wheels, Shelby brake cooling bezels and ducts w/piaa lights, Silver "Pit Stripes" W/ TRT and social director stickers. matching Shelby Lower grill
IMAG0385
Moroso SC coolant tank

#36 OFFLINE   EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,243 posts
  • Joined 15-March 09
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

I agree, too bad it's 12 yrs. old. I'm sure with the advances in engines over the years it would be a diffferent outcome now.

+1

Everything I've seen shows that shorties do not provide enough of a benefit to justify the cost. The stock manifolds pretty darn efficent. In fact, when the stock manifold is ported its as good or better than most shorties.
08SGT0343 Fueled with CS branded pixie dust ground from the asphault of the Mausaon Straight and defeated Ferrari's.
Posted Image

#37 OFFLINE   SGT3477

SGT3477

Team Shelby New Member

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 281 posts
  • Joined 17-August 10

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

i have been working through pretty much this exact same ideology. the 400HP SC kit is alot of money for only the 400HP. I hear many folks say with teh 550HP kits these 4.6s ar eliving on borrowed time.
So I too have been thinking more NA then SC and the mods are fairly straight forward.
although in the end the costs are near the same i think the longevity and daily fun of the car would be better served, long term, going NA.
adding the FRPP ( TB/ heads/ HR cams/ Intake and shorties/ ) AND the 4:10s is the answer. you will get all the performance, sound and feel you are probably looking for .
the loss in low end torque can be made up for with the higher gears: no?

this is my plan anyway.

#38 OFFLINE   07SGT

07SGT

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Joined 11-January 08

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Yes the stock manifolds can be made more efficient through porting but there is another advantage to the Shortys.. Weight!!!!!!!! Take that weight off the front end which will also effect handling.

#39 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

I know it is going to cost some coin to get these things done, but I'm doing these one step at a time or in small combinations...both from a cashflow stand point, but also from a performance review stand point. I'd like to be able to comment on how each tweak to the car changes the performance, and then give a final review of the sum of all the parts.

If I wind up achieving the performance level that I want half way there, then I may stop and not add the final stages...or at least delay them for some time further down the road. In the end, I know that these changes will have some positive impacts to the performance of my SGT.

On another note, does anyone have any performance reviews or preferences on the two different Shorty headers that I'm looking at?

1) BBK tuned length ceramic shorty headers http://www.americanm...gt-ceramic.html
2) JBA cat4ward shorty headers http://www.americanm...ers-0510gt.html

Let me know your thoughts...this is my next step that I'm looking to do in the next week or so. Putting on the FRPP 62mm throttle body tomorrow as step one!

thanks,
Andy.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

1966 Mustang Convertible 289v2 - Red w/black top & interior (still in the family)
1973 Mustang Convertible 351W - Poppy Red w/black top & interior - MCA Senior Division Grand National Retired Winner
1989 Mustang Hatchback 5.0 w/5spd - 25th Anniversary - Red w/red & black interior

#40 OFFLINE   avidShelby

avidShelby

Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 08-November 07
  • Interests:Many & Varied

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

If anyone has a source of recent, empirical data detailing the efficacy of shorty versus long-tube headers, please post it.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I think we're all looking for validated information upon which to base a decision...
CSM# 07SGT5537
1 of 2,876 Black, Manual Coupes
Bullitt Steering Wheel
Billet Lower Grille Insert
Ford Racing Front Lower A-Arm Brace
Ford Racing SVT Mustang Wheels
Michelin Pilot A/S Plus 275-40ZR 18 Tires
Tamed The Dragon / U.S. HWY 129; 318 curves in 11 miles!

#41 OFFLINE   MyBlueHeaven

MyBlueHeaven

evil witha D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts
  • Joined 16-September 10

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

I know it is going to cost some coin to get these things done, but I'm doing these one step at a time or in small combinations...both from a cashflow stand point, but also from a performance review stand point. I'd like to be able to comment on how each tweak to the car changes the performance, and then give a final review of the sum of all the parts.

If I wind up achieving the performance level that I want half way there, then I may stop and not add the final stages...or at least delay them for some time further down the road. In the end, I know that these changes will have some positive impacts to the performance of my SGT.

On another note, does anyone have any performance reviews or preferences on the two different Shorty headers that I'm looking at?

1) BBK tuned length ceramic shorty headers http://www.americanm...gt-ceramic.html
2) JBA cat4ward shorty headers http://www.americanm...ers-0510gt.html

Let me know your thoughts...this is my next step that I'm looking to do in the next week or so. Putting on the FRPP 62mm throttle body tomorrow as step one!

thanks,
Andy.

Andy, I know what you mean about one step at a time and the cash flow and perfomances in gradually. I like many others here have been doing the same thing. If you look at my sig I have many of the things that you speak of. I can confirm like those others that have done these mods that with the addition of the FRPP intake and cams you will lose some low end torque, I added the 4.10s and you would now never know.

Don’t let the number fool you I was on the fence about 3.73 / 4.10 and I am 100% glad that I did the 4.10s. There is a slight rpm gain on the highway but not like you would think. That was my major concern as well since I have to take mine on the highway daily. A little mpg loss but it’s all about your driving style. Go with the 4.10 during your performance upgrade journey, you won’t regret it.

My next step in the process will be long tube headers and an off road X in the coming weeks. After I add the LT’s the only thing more I can do is add new heads which is almost as costly as the Kenne bell that I want. I thought this was an informative article and it's a little more recent

http://www.mustang50...rs/viewall.html

There have been nice performance gains with the addition of each mod, but I’m here to tell you your always going to want more, being satisfied halfway just isn’t going to happen.

You will definitely be happy that you are making these changes and improving the performance, I know I am and I love driving my car. It sounds great, turns a lot of heads and performs much better now than it did when I got it. Good luck with your build.

Jeff

Mods include:

Engine:
Kenne Bell 2.6L Intercooled 9psi, Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams, Ford Racing Valve covers, BBK Ceramic Long tube Headers w/catted x pipe, BBK 62mm throttle body, John Lund racing custom tune, Moroso aluminum coolant / SC coolant, and power steering tanks, Shelby fuse box cover, Shelby brake reservior cover, Borla touring mufflers, JLT Oil Separator.

Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Scott Drake Dif cover, Steeda billet lower control arms, Steeda aluminum street adjustable panhard bar, Steeda heavy duty panhard bar brace, FRPP LCA relocation brackets, Bob's axle reservoir kit; Steeda adjustable street upper control arm and mount; Steeda aluminum one piece drieshaft.  BMR tubular radiator support

Exterior:
GT500 Rear Spoiler, Staggered 18" FR500 Wheels, Shelby brake cooling bezels and ducts w/piaa lights, Silver "Pit Stripes" W/ TRT and social director stickers. matching Shelby Lower grill
IMAG0385
Moroso SC coolant tank

#42 OFFLINE   MyBlueHeaven

MyBlueHeaven

evil witha D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts
  • Joined 16-September 10

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

If anyone has a source of recent, empirical data detailing the efficacy of shorty versus long-tube headers, please post it.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I think we're all looking for validated information upon which to base a decision...

I validate it by asking how many people do you see running shorties vs LTs on the track/strip. Next time your at the track take a poll. If shorties were so much better you would see the perfomance cars running them instead of LT's. I just don't see it, don't get me wrong I'm no expert but I've been working on cars for a long time and it just doesn't add up.

Mods include:

Engine:

Exterior:
IMAG0385
Moroso SC coolant tank

#43 OFFLINE   07SGT

07SGT

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Joined 11-January 08

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

I think everyone agrees that LTs provide more power, and sound, than shortys. But some also live where there is EPA testing and must be concerned about the O sensor, etc. The shortys bolt right to the original exhaust system and will not effect emissions. That, and price, are the only advantages to shortys.

#44 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

Andy, I know what you mean about one step at a time and the cash flow and perfomances in gradually. I like many others here have been doing the same thing. If you look at my sig I have many of the things that you speak of. I can confirm like those others that have done these mods that with the addition of the FRPP intake and cams you will lose some low end torque, I added the 4.10s and you would now never know.

Don’t let the number fool you I was on the fence about 3.73 / 4.10 and I am 100% glad that I did the 4.10s. There is a slight rpm gain on the highway but not like you would think. That was my major concern as well since I have to take mine on the highway daily. A little mpg loss but it’s all about your driving style. Go with the 4.10 during your performance upgrade journey, you won’t regret it.

My next step in the process will be long tube headers and an off road X in the coming weeks. After I add the LT’s the only thing more I can do is add new heads which is almost as costly as the Kenne bell that I want. I thought this was an informative article and it's a little more recent

http://www.mustang50...rs/viewall.html

There have been nice performance gains with the addition of each mod, but I’m here to tell you your always going to want more, being satisfied halfway just isn’t going to happen.

You will definitely be happy that you are making these changes and improving the performance, I know I am and I love driving my car. It sounds great, turns a lot of heads and performs much better now than it did when I got it. Good luck with your build.

Jeff

Hey Jeff -

Thanks for that article....great info. I liked how the JBAs helped out on the low end as well.

Part of my problem is that I'm capped at the total I can spend on this upgrade project. The price for parts and labor for LTs just about ate my entire budget, and I'm also concerned about how much louder it may make the car sound in my neighborhood.

Right now it looks like you have everything on my dream mod list except for headers. Given you have the stock exhaust manifolds, do you have any ideas on what kind of HP and TQ you are putting down now? At the end of the day, I'm going to have to stick with the shorty headers and hope for modest performance improvements over the stock manifolds...can you give me any additional notes on how much different your car feels now than when it was totally stock? Low RPM range performance? Mid range performance? Upper range performance? What is your RPM limit set to and what range do you normally shift to the next gear?

It's funny, but I think my install process will actually be the reverse of the way you went....I'm not sure how I came up with this method, but I'll let you know how I feel about the progress.

One final question - did you do anything about replacing your strut tower brace? I really want to maintain that piece since this is a convertible.

Thanks
Andy.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

#45 OFFLINE   MyBlueHeaven

MyBlueHeaven

evil witha D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts
  • Joined 16-September 10

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

Hey Jeff -

Thanks for that article....great info. I liked how the JBAs helped out on the low end as well.

Part of my problem is that I'm capped at the total I can spend on this upgrade project. The price for parts and labor for LTs just about ate my entire budget, and I'm also concerned about how much louder it may make the car sound in my neighborhood.

Right now it looks like you have everything on my dream mod list except for headers. Given you have the stock exhaust manifolds, do you have any ideas on what kind of HP and TQ you are putting down now? At the end of the day, I'm going to have to stick with the shorty headers and hope for modest performance improvements over the stock manifolds...can you give me any additional notes on how much different your car feels now than when it was totally stock? Low RPM range performance? Mid range performance? Upper range performance? What is your RPM limit set to and what range do you normally shift to the next gear?

It's funny, but I think my install process will actually be the reverse of the way you went....I'm not sure how I came up with this method, but I'll let you know how I feel about the progress.

One final question - did you do anything about replacing your strut tower brace? I really want to maintain that piece since this is a convertible.

Thanks
Andy.

Andy,

I haven't had it on the Dyno in over a year now and I've added a few more parts since then. But it was 302 @ the rear wheels last time and that was with a modest tune. Since then I've added some more mods and the 4.10s for TQ. After the long tube and O/R X install and a new tune I expect a pretty good gain and I'll try and get it on the Dyno after the new year.

I hear ya on the cost of labor. That was one thing that I din't have to worry about much since I've done just about all the mods myself, or with the help of a friend who just happens to be a ford mechanic for the last 15 years. I'll be doing the LT's myself as well.

We have emisions here in VA as well but they only look to see if the cats are there. No computerized checking so it's a little easier to get a pass when you know someone since they don't have to put it on a machine.

I didn't like the original strut tower brace very much and I would have had to do the engine lower mounts to keep it so I decided to go with the V-6/bullit FRPP strut tower bar. They come painted silver so I taped it off and painted it with some vista blue to give it the striped look. I think it looks better personnaly. I still have all the parts that came off so if need be I could always put them back on to sell but I really don't ever intend to do that. I included some pics of the engine bay and if you want to see more I have a lot of pics in my profile of the mods in progress. Under my profile go to vehicle and click on the picture, from there you should see all the images.

good luck with the shorties, I'm sure they will do you just fine for you.

Jeff

Sorry the pics are so small, can't seem to figure out how to make it bigger

Attached Files

Edited by MyBlueHeaven, 17 November 2012 - 05:46 AM.

Mods include:

Engine:

Exterior:
IMAG0385
Moroso SC coolant tank

#46 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

I didn't like the original strut tower brace very much and I would have had to do the engine lower mounts to keep it so I decided to go with the V-6/bullit FRPP strut tower bar. They come painted silver so I taped it off and painted it with some vista blue to give it the striped look. I think it looks better personnaly. I still have all the parts that came off so if need be I could always put them back on to sell but I really don't ever intend to do that. I included some pics of the engine bay and if you want to see more I have a lot of pics in my profile of the mods in progress. Under my profile go to vehicle and click on the picture, from there you should see all the images.

Jeff

Jeff,

Great to hear that the V6/FRPP brace will fit in place of the original brace. I was looking to go the route of the 1/2 inch lower Steeda motor mounts. I was told it is no extra labor to do this when doing the shorty headers since the mounts have to be loosened anyway.

Is there a big disadvantage to doing the motor mounts versus the V6 brace?
Is there an advantage to upgrading the motor mounts? I thought that lowering the motor by 1/2 inch would also lower the front center of gravity and that might improve cornering, but I'm no expert on that and was just guessing that it may help slightly.

If it is better to go the V6 brace, I have no problem doing that as the parts are the same basic cost.

Any thoughts?

Andy.

Edited by AndyGJ, 18 November 2012 - 06:15 AM.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

#47 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

Quick side note:

Just got to love my wife!! Yesterday was my Birthday, and with all the kids sports activities and GA Tech college football game to attend yesterday, we just opened up my gifts this morning with the kids.

One box was so big that all she could use to wrap it up was a large trashbag. When I opened up the bag and looked at the box, I immediately knew where it was from....addressed from Las Vegas, NV!!! Open up the box and what do I find....
the Shelby GT Brake Cooling Duct kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy feet: :dance: :) :banana piano:

Looks like today is going to be a fun afternoon under the car!!

Andy.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

#48 OFFLINE   MyBlueHeaven

MyBlueHeaven

evil witha D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts
  • Joined 16-September 10

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Quick side note:

Just got to love my wife!! Yesterday was my Birthday, and with all the kids sports activities and GA Tech college football game to attend yesterday, we just opened up my gifts this morning with the kids.

One box was so big that all she could use to wrap it up was a large trashbag. When I opened up the bag and looked at the box, I immediately knew where it was from....addressed from Las Vegas, NV!!! Open up the box and what do I find....
the Shelby GT Brake Cooling Duct kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy feet: :dance: :) :banana piano:

Looks like today is going to be a fun afternoon under the car!!

Andy.

Sweet, have fun with the install, I'm hoping for mine to be in with the xmas gifts next month or possibly my birthday 3 days before xmas.

Edited by MyBlueHeaven, 18 November 2012 - 09:18 AM.

Mods include:

Engine:

Exterior:
IMAG0385
Moroso SC coolant tank

#49 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

Step 1 completed - Installed the FRPP 62mm Throttle Body and the upgraded tune from Steeda.

The install is super easy...the hardest part was that I didn't have a long 8mm socket, just a short one so I had to run to the store to pick one up to remove the two upper bolts/studs holding the top half of the TB to the intake manifold. I hate those types of "middle of the project" interruptions, but thought I had that one covered. Oh well...everything else was extremely smooth.

The throttle responds a lot quicker and seems to spool up the RPMs quicker - I guess that is the benefit of more fuel and more air with the larger 62mm size. When I'm just coasting or slowing down in a gear and it approaches 1000 RPMs, I've noticed that the car still seems to want to hold the RPMs right at the 1000 mark, but if I push in on the clutch, it will drop back down to 700 ish range.

Other than that, seems to run nicely. Since the weather is nice today in Atlanta, I went ahead and drove it to work today, so I'll get more time to play with it on the way home and see how it responds in the 65 degree temps when fully warmed up on a 20 minute drive.

Now, on to planning Step 2 - Shorty headers and Steeda Underdrive Pully. Hope to get this done the first half of December.

Andy.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

#50 OFFLINE   2007_Shelby_GT

2007_Shelby_GT

Certified Shelby Nut

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,581 posts
  • Joined 18-January 08
  • Interests:Planes, cars, good times, good friends!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

You're on your way Andy! (Oh, and Happy Birthday! :xlbirthday: )

Sam
AKA:
Posted Image
My Trademark - Don't even think about using it!
In Memory Of Willy T

#51 OFFLINE   Jer

Jer

Jer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,236 posts
  • Joined 22-December 07
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:My wife, my dogs, my cat, cars, and music. NHRA addict.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Step 1 completed - Installed the FRPP 62mm Throttle Body and the upgraded tune from Steeda.

The install is super easy...the hardest part was that I didn't have a long 8mm socket, just a short one so I had to run to the store to pick one up to remove the two upper bolts/studs holding the top half of the TB to the intake manifold. I hate those types of "middle of the project" interruptions, but thought I had that one covered. Oh well...everything else was extremely smooth.

The throttle responds a lot quicker and seems to spool up the RPMs quicker - I guess that is the benefit of more fuel and more air with the larger 62mm size. When I'm just coasting or slowing down in a gear and it approaches 1000 RPMs, I've noticed that the car still seems to want to hold the RPMs right at the 1000 mark, but if I push in on the clutch, it will drop back down to 700 ish range.

Other than that, seems to run nicely. Since the weather is nice today in Atlanta, I went ahead and drove it to work today, so I'll get more time to play with it on the way home and see how it responds in the 65 degree temps when fully warmed up on a 20 minute drive.

Now, on to planning Step 2 - Shorty headers and Steeda Underdrive Pully. Hope to get this done the first half of December.

Andy.

I tell my wife: "People buy tools when they come across a job that needs them". That's why I have SO many funky wrenches, socket extensions, etc...
This is also why it's important to have a "parts chaser": a second car that you leave BONE STOCK, to get to the tool store!

BTW, underdrive pulleys are a nice mod. I was very happy with the results I got from my Steeda set back in the day.

Jer

Edited by Jer, 26 November 2012 - 06:22 PM.

2007 SGT/SC # 446 - White, 5spd, Whipple 550 HO with Shelby/C&R radiator and heat exchanger upgrade, Painted stripes (rockers and Le Mans), painted lower fascia (a tribute to Whitey), Shelby Deep Draw (2 3/8") Hood with custom GT350 mesh inserts, Shelby brake duct/driving light bezels with PIAA 510XT lights, Shelby custom underbody front brake duct inlets and fabricated brake cooling plates, Terlingua billet hood pin plates, Shelby tensioner support brace, Shelby race-fabricated valve covers, Dark Charcoal Gray Interior and dash (signed by Carroll), IUP, Active Anti-Theft, Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT with XM Radio, NAV, HD Radio, DVD video touchscreen, Bluetooth, rearview camera, etc... Infinity Reference speakers, Shelby Kicker door subwoofers, trunk sub, and 4.1 amp, Chrome 20X9 Shelby-logoed Razors (ET24) with Nitto 555s (255 front, 275 rear), Baer Extreme+ 6 piston brakes all around, A'te Super Blue brake fluid, Goodridge s/s brakelines, SLP Loudmouths, Aeroforce Terminator gauge, Shelby gauge pod, CS Supercharged faux gas cap logo, billet lower grille, updated 2008-style front grille mount, grille, Shelby billet hood pin kit and pony emblem, Shelby floormats and trunk mat, Shelby Harness Bar, CG-Lock seatbelts, Shelby GT engine cap set and period-correct "Shelby Automobiles" license plate frames, Moroso and Shelby tanks, brake fluid reservoir, and fusebox cover, shorty antenna, Shelby billet fuel fill door, 3/4 window louvers, Shelby upper control arm and mount and lower control arms, CHE K-member brace w/ torque limiters, sequential taillights, Shelby billet Watts link, Ford Racing 3.73:1 gearset, Shelby GT500KR diff cover, de-rusted and painted rear axle housing, Eaton True Trac limited-slip differential, Moser axles, Strange Engineering axle studs, Shelby GT500KR Axle Reservoir, full of Mobil 1 with Ford Racing filter. H3R HalGuard fire extinguisher with Shelby and Brey-Krause mounting, Shelby Helmet and Driving Jacket. Of course I have lots and lots of Shelby doodads, knicknacks, merch, apparel, bling, and bric-a-brac. Many Shelby certificates and Monroney sticker shiny and intact. Fender SGT guitar. Tolerant wife.

Shelby Vegas Bash 2011 and 2012 Show Winner.

Lift #15
Technicians: John Orr/Randall LaViolette
2/13/2007 9:26:32 AM: Dash Badge Installed
2/13/2007 9:26:34 AM: Shelby Letters Installed
2/13/2007 9:26:35 AM: Side badges installed both sides

That's when it became OFFICIAL, in my opinion! A Shelby was born!
CUTE COINCIDENCE: The NEXT DAY, I was in Vegas getting married. True story.

UPDATE: In 2009, I drove cross-country with my wife from NY in the SGT and finally just MOVED here. I figured Vegas was lucky for me.
UPDATE: GT/SC upgrade completed at SAI on July 22, 2011.
UPDATE: Left Guitar Center and joined SA as Vice President, Shelby Performance Parts, August 2012-May 2014

#52 OFFLINE   JeffIsHereToo

JeffIsHereToo

Jeff

• 8,034 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

I was going to this using this set-up:

http://www.fordracin.../m-fr4-s197.htm

$$$$ but I thought it provided the best long term engine life and reliability.

Good luck!
2013 Boss 302 (Grabber Blue) #2
2007 Shelby GT (White) #2621
2005 Mustang GT (Mineral Gray)
1989 Mustang GT (White)
1984 Mustang GT (Red)
1979 Mustang Cobra (Jade Green

Team Shelby State Director for AR

#53 OFFLINE   andrewnagle1964

andrewnagle1964

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,415 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

I was going to this using this set-up:

http://www.fordracin.../m-fr4-s197.htm

$$$$ but I thought it provided the best long term engine life and reliability.

Good luck!

This is the route I took and shy of a SC I couldn't be happier

Andrew
The Black 07SGT4986 (RIP April14, 2010) to the White 07SGT4623......thanks for the grace of God no one died.

#54 OFFLINE   twobjshelbys

twobjshelbys

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,196 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

Cool! So now we know there is a path to your goal!!!!
Cheers,
Tony

Motto: You can have fun going fast. ... but ... You don't have to go fast to have fun.

Current:
2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition, 650 RWHP, 600 FtLb torque.

Former:
CSX4005LA - Shelby Continuation Series Cobra. The most fun you can legally have, sitting in a chair, in public.
CSM08SGT2228 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, 5-speed, Kenne Bell S/C. Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation Gift at Barrett-Jackson 2009 Scottsdale
CSM08SGT2247 - Barrett Jackson Special Edition Convertible, Automatic. Kenne Bell S/C installed. WHOOT!
Simple Mods: Electrochromic mirror with compass/temp/HomeLink, Ford HD Radio with iPod, lower billet grill insert, sequential tail lights.

#55 OFFLINE   07SGT

07SGT

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Joined 11-January 08

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

any chance of a dyno run before and after the next steps to measure the differences?

#56 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

any chance of a dyno run before and after the next steps to measure the differences?

I was thinking the same thing...would be nice to have a before and after look. I've been going back and forth between two potential installers/tuners in my local area. I've been trying to get the best advice and best installation price I can each step of the way. If I had the tools and know how...heck, I'd buy the tools if I had the know how...to do most of this stuff, then I'd give it a try, but I'm a little to worried about really screwing something up.

Anyway, I spoke today to a guy by the name of Eric who actually is the tuner since his main pricing person (shop manager?), Ryan, is on vacation this week. I think this is the route I'm heading for Step #2 - JBA Ceramic Shorty Headers and Steeda Under Drive Pulley with Labor and Dyno tune (Step #1 was simply installing the FRPP 62mm TB & updated Steeda tune). He said the dyno tune was $150, so I may see if he could do a pre-install dyno run for a minor (if anything) charge just to get that baseline number of RWHP & RWTQ. I'd pay $50-$75 just to know even though it is a waste of $$$.

ONE QUESTION FOR EVERYONE - If I do the Steeda "Red" Motor mounts in Step #2 so that the FRPP Intake manifold will clear the strut tower brace, Eric said he will install the motor mounts at no additional labor cost since it is just one more bolt on each side to remove while doing the headers. HOWEVER, Eric cautioned me that I will feel a noticable amount of NVH in the car after they are installed in place of the Ford factory mounts. If I wait and decide to do this later, it will cost an additional $230 (+/-) in labor to do it. The cost of the parts (Steeda UDP $220, JBA ceramic headers $630, Misc bolts & gaskets $100), all Labor ($856), and dyno ($150) is running about $1,960 and Steeda Motor Mounts would push it to approx. $2,170.

So here is my QUESTION: Does anyone have the Steeda Motor Mounts installed to where they could tell me if I would love or hate the results?

Thanks,
Andy.

Edited by AndyGJ, 27 November 2012 - 09:52 PM.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

#57 OFFLINE   2007_Shelby_GT

2007_Shelby_GT

Certified Shelby Nut

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,581 posts
  • Joined 18-January 08
  • Interests:Planes, cars, good times, good friends!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

Andy - Will the V6/Bullitt strut brace clear the Ford Racing manifold? (I went this route for S/C clearance) I don't know if this will save you money, but it might save the NVH issue you're concerned about!

I'd also be wondering about drive-train geometry if you use the lower motor mounts, (drive shaft / pinion angles, etc.). Wonder if it would matter, since it's such a small amount?

Sam

(PS: got your text messages - I was out of touch yesterday!)
AKA:
Posted Image
My Trademark - Don't even think about using it!
In Memory Of Willy T

#58 OFFLINE   ARMORINE

ARMORINE

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Joined 19-February 09

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

do the motor mounts. i didnt notice any increase in nvh and im running the hardest motor mounts i could find
having a 9 second ricer is like coming out of the closet, at first you surprise every one but at the end of the day your still gay
man kind has earned the right to rule this planet by occasionally producing someone totally bats#$t insane

#59 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

Andy - Will the V6/Bullitt strut brace clear the Ford Racing manifold? (I went this route for S/C clearance) I don't know if this will save you money, but it might save the NVH issue you're concerned about!

I'd also be wondering about drive-train geometry if you use the lower motor mounts, (drive shaft / pinion angles, etc.). Wonder if it would matter, since it's such a small amount?

Sam

(PS: got your text messages - I was out of touch yesterday!)

Hey Sam,

I've been told that the V6 strut tower brace does clear the FRPP intake manifold, and that is an option but the cost is essentially the same for either the V6 brace or the motor mounts. I didn't know if there is a better benefit to having the lower motor mounts over the V6 brace, but I thought that the engine weight lowered by 1/2 an inch would potentially help the handling with a lower center of gravity.

I'm an not an engineer, so I'm not sure if that is correct or not. When it was brought up about the extra NVH that I would experience, I thought I'd better get some opinions on what to expect from the TS members before I jumped one way or the other. I hate to waste $230 in labor if I delay and do it later, but I'll need to decide in short order if I'm going to get this in the line-up for completion by the middle of December.

Andy.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

#60 OFFLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 11,845 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Shelby GT's (what else), Guitar, Camping in my RV, auto racing, autocross, car shows

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

I also did the U/D pullies - nice mod; quicker revving.
2007 Shelby GT CSM# 07SGT1917 - the "Garage Queen"

Performance White, Hurst 5-Speed, Premium Package

Shelby 4.6L Racing Valve Covers ,Shelby Turbo Mufflers, Shelby GT Brake Duct Kit, "S" snake faux gas cap, Carroll Shelby autographed dash, Improved Shelby GT hood scoop replaced by Tasca Mod Shop, Craig's Custom License Plate Bracket, Baer GT Rotors, Hawk HP Plus Pads, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Hi Temp Brake Fluid, J&M Street/Race Extreme Joint Lower Control Arms, J&M Double Adjustable Panhard Rod (Street/Race) ...

2013 Mustang GT Premium - the "Daily Driver"

Black / Black & Glass Roof, 6-Speed SelectShift, Sync, NAV, Interior Upgrade.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users