• Members
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09
  • Region:Pacific Northwest
  • Interests:Open Track & performance driving
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hell I went from 280 or so to 310hp from just adding Steeda elbow and underdrive pulley's but that was after a couple of hours on the dyno
I agree it's in the tune!!

Kerry T
Pacific NW
2012 Shelby Bash, 50th Anniversary Of The Cobra and Celebration of all things Shelby -
Utube of me and my SGT making some laps at Spring Mountain with street tires, 2,970 total miles traveled that week.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ufOA9Tf3akA

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH YOUR SHELBY LATELY??
His- 2008 #08SGT0527- built 9/6/2007- purchased new 5/10/09
Wife- 2001 Roush Stage 3 Roushchargered - NO LONGER! traded in on 4/5/14 for 335i retractable roof

Just cuz- 1992 LX notch survivor with 72k miles

DSC_0252-1.jpg

#122 OFFLINE   EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,243 posts
  • Joined 15-March 09
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

http://www.teamshelb...es#entry1127720

The shorties wouldn't provide much if any improvement over the stock manifolds. The FR Intake Manifold will sacrifice low end HP and torq for high end HP. The easiest way to return the deep exhaust tone without longtubes is to swap the x pipe for an h pipe but doing so will cost you power, but not much. The 3V already breaths pretty darn well so it's difficult to improve it.

Edited by EL SHELBY, 23 December 2012 - 11:46 AM.

08SGT0343 Fueled with CS branded pixie dust ground from the asphault of the Mausaon Straight and defeated Ferrari's.
Posted Image

#123 OFFLINE   07SGT

07SGT

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Joined 11-January 08
  • Region:Decline

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Andy, they are always going to recommend long tubes over shorty's. And the HP will be dramatic. You will probably pick up 5+ with Shorty's and about 15-20 with long tubes. But not everyone can afford long tubes or the other issues. Such as epa regulations if you live in an area that requires inspection. Most long tubes do not have provisions for O2 sensors either. So plan for a re-tune. Shorty's are a compromise. A good compromise, but still a compromise.

#124 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08
  • Region:South Atlantic

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions guys.

I think it is safe to assume at this point that they really didn't customize my Steeda tune with my new equipment. My baseline numbers included the 62mm TB, 93 Octane, and the Steeda elbow. That showed up with 284 RWHP and 301 TQ.

After adding the JBA Shorty Headers and Steeda UDP, the Dyno showed 293 RWHP and 302 TQ. Both curves were identical right up to 4600 rpms, then the gains started to show. I'm starting to get more comfortable with the new sound. I'll see if I can live with it or if I need to swap mufflers to get what I prefer back again.

I'm hoping a professional custom tune will do the trick. I may try LD's Performance for the tuning and see what he says. He is exclusively a Ford/Mustang guy from what I understand.

I'll post the dyno sheets when they email them to me...all I have right now is a print out of just one run from each comparing the before and after.

More to come....

Andy.

Present Mustang:
2008 Shelby GT Convertible #1676

Mods Installed:
BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 Tires (275/40/R18 Front & Rear)
CDC Sequential Tail Lights
FRPP GT500KR Axleback Mufflers
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body
FRPP Boss 302 Low Expansion Brakelines
Hawk HPS Brake Pads (front & rear)
JBA Tuned Length Ceramic Shorty Headers
LD's Performance Custom Tuning (91 & 93 Octane) w/SCT-X3 Tuner
Redline Hood Struts (w/update kit)
Royal Purple Synthetic Oil 5w20

Royal Purple Differential Gear Lub

Royal Purple Manual Transmission Fluid
Shelby Lower Radiator Grill Insert - Black
Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers
Shelby GT Berg Snake Faux Gas Cap
Shelby GT Berg Snake Front Floor Mats & Trunk Mat
Shelby Plain Rear Seat Floor Mats
Shelby Billet Engine Cap Set
Shelby Billet Fusebox Cover
Shelby Transmission Cooler Scoop
Shelby Front Brake Duct Cooling Kit

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link
Performance Brake Slotted & Cross Drilled Rotors (front & rear)
Ford Motorcraft DOT4 Brake Fluid
Steeda CAI Intake Elbow w/Black Tube
Steeda Motor Mounts (red inserts)
Steeda Under Drive Pulley

Prior Mustangs:

1968 Mustang Coupe - Midnight Blue
1966 Mustang Convertible 289v2 - Red w/black top & interior (still in the family)
1973 Mustang Convertible 351W - Poppy Red w/black top & interior - MCA Senior Division Grand National Retired Winner
1989 Mustang Hatchback 5.0 w/5spd - 25th Anniversary - Red w/red & black interior

#125 OFFLINE   JT93

JT93

07SGT5059

• Great Lakes Region
  • 582 posts
  • Joined 26-January 10
  • Region:Great Lakes

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions guys.

I think it is safe to assume at this point that they really didn't customize my Steeda tune with my new equipment. My baseline numbers included the 62mm TB, 93 Octane, and the Steeda elbow. That showed up with 284 RWHP and 301 TQ.

After adding the JBA Shorty Headers and Steeda UDP, the Dyno showed 293 RWHP and 302 TQ. Both curves were identical right up to 4600 rpms, then the gains started to show. I'm starting to get more comfortable with the new sound. I'll see if I can live with it or if I need to swap mufflers to get what I prefer back again.

I'm hoping a professional custom tune will do the trick. I may try LD's Performance for the tuning and see what he says. He is exclusively a Ford/Mustang guy from what I understand.

I'll post the dyno sheets when they email them to me...all I have right now is a print out of just one run from each comparing the before and after.

More to come....

Andy.

You definitely should look into a custom tune, but I would wait until you get another round of parts. No reason to spend the money for the tune now and then pay for another one when you get new parts. While it might might be what you want now power wise, for a build on a budget it'll save you a few hundred bucks.

mw2paq.jpg

Whatever the competition comes out with, we'll kick the hell out of 'em. - Carroll Shelby

Carroll Shelby Signed Airbag Cover
Great Lakes Region Windshield Banner
Sequential Tail Lights

Boss 302 Rear Seat Delete
Corbeau TRS Seats
Corbeau Racing Harnesses
Shelby Harness Bar
Shelby Harness Pads
SVT Rims for the track
Boss 302 Rims for the street
FRPP Hot Rod Cams
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body
FRPP Intake Manifold
FRPP Black Cam Covers

FRPP 3.73:1 Gearset

FR500S Differential

FRPP Hubs w/ ARP Studs
Brembo Brake Upgrade
FRPP Brake Cooling Kit

Shaftmasters Driveshaft
Dynatech Long Tubes w/ High Flow Cats
MRT Muffler Delete

Tow Hook with Custom Bracket
Tuned by Paul's High Performance

#126 OFFLINE   07SGT

07SGT

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Joined 11-January 08

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Andy, did you have a baseline dyno run before the 62 mm TB, 93 tune and Steeda elbow. You picked up, if I understand correctly, an additional 9 hp with the UDP and the shorty headers. But did you pick up any power after installing the 62 TB, the 93 tune and Steeda elbow?

if you figure approximately 15% loss to the rear wheels then your 293 is about 337 crank/flywheel hp. So that is a pickup of approximately 18 ponies from the stock 319. About 5 hp for each of the four items you added. And you can probably do more with a custom tune. But again I would urge caution with a 93 tune as you are already on the edge and any tainted gas or lesser octane could damage a piston easily. I think I would carry that original stock tune and the hand held with me just in case I could not find good quality 93 octane.

Keep us posted on your progress. Good Luck. Merry Christmas.

Edited by 07SGT, 24 December 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#127 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

The baseline run that they did for me on the dyno was with the 62mm Throttle Body and the Steeda Intake elbow installed. I did not have a dyno run at totally stock form. That configuration showed the 284 RWHP. The temps were in the mid 50s and 10% humidity. I figure that is probably equal to 334 HP at the crank figuring a 15% loss (284/.85=334.1).

The following day, once the installation was complete on the JBA shorty headers, the Steeda UDP, and the Steeda motor mounts, the dyno showed the 293 RWHP. The temps were in the low 60s and the humidity went off the charts at 85%, so that may have something to do with the difference along with lack of any tuning changes from the canned Steeda tune that was updated with the 62mm TB installation. I figure that would be equal to 345 HP at the crank again assuming the 15% loss through the drivetrain (293/.85=344.7).

If all those numbers are close to correct, then I've probably gained about 26 HP at the crank from the stock configuration. I was really hoping that the addition of the shorty headers would have netted an additional 10 hp to 15 hp at the crank so that I could have reached over 300 RWHP. Steeda claims that the swapping of the intake elbow for the Ford factory tube should net an additional 8 HP, and I figure that the 62mm TB probably is good for another 3 hp potentially. So - just a hunch here - but I may be getting the benefit of about 15 HP total from the shorty headers and the UDP.

I'll still get dyno runs each step of the way from here on out to see what each added part will do for me, but the next three performance mods will be the FRPP Performance Intake, the FRPP Hot Rod Cams, and the FRPP 3.73 gears....then, I'll be way out of money and completely done with any upgrades.

At this point, I'm a little leary of adding these mods and then having buyers remorse on what effects it has on my SGT. I may do this a little more slowly after seeking out one of you guys that has very similar mods done and seeing the end result in person before I jump to the next step. A round trip plane ticket is a lot less expensive than redoing some of these mods....Andrew...Brandon...you guys out there? Anyone else with all these same mods installed perhaps in the Atlanta area?

Andy.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

1966 Mustang Convertible 289v2 - Red w/black top & interior (still in the family)
1973 Mustang Convertible 351W - Poppy Red w/black top & interior - MCA Senior Division Grand National Retired Winner
1989 Mustang Hatchback 5.0 w/5spd - 25th Anniversary - Red w/red & black interior

#128 OFFLINE   EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,243 posts
  • Joined 15-March 09

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

The Steeda Elbow/intake will increase HP over a stock Mustang GT but not a Shelby GT. Steeda developed the Ford Racing intake used on the SGT. Simply swapping one plastic elbow for another isn't going gain any HP, regardless of the tune.

I have the Steeda CF elbow. I didn't see nor did I expect to see any change in performance.

I also have a CF JLT intake awaiting to be installed. I do expect to see an improvement with it as it includes a larger 110mm MAF housing (vs. Steeda's 90mm) and requires a new tune for installation. Now, I may do a side by side tune comparison with the two intakes as Steeda has claimed that a larger MAF isn't necessarily better over the Steeda's MAF housing design.

Edited by EL SHELBY, 31 December 2012 - 06:21 AM.

08SGT0343 Fueled with CS branded pixie dust ground from the asphault of the Mausaon Straight and defeated Ferrari's.
Posted Image

#129 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

EL Shelby,

One tuner I spoke to about different CAI units told me that the larger JLT unit may cause surging from the throttle, so I didn't chance it with the larger size....I did consider the full CAI swap to the larger JLT unit with a tune from American Muscle versus just the elbow from Steeda. I at least wanted a better looking piece under the hood and figured it might net some minor gains.

Let us know what your results are from the swap....I may go that route too if it proves to add some better performance for us. Who is doing the tune for you?

Andy.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

#130 OFFLINE   young768

young768

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts
  • Joined 23-July 07

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Andy,

Why did you not have Injected Engineering do a custom tune? I find it odd that you were expecting a lot of gains with your mods by having IE modify the Steeda tune which has already taken into account the mods you were making. As you know, our cars are similar in setup and IE did my custom tune and I am very happy with it. Let me know if you want to get together sometime and we can compare notes.

Robert
2007 Shelby GT CSM# 07SGT4478
White 5-Spd

FRPP Hot Rod Cams
FRPP Shorty Headers - Ceramic
Baer Extreme Brakes - Front
Baer Eradispeed Rotors - Rear
Steeda Stainless Steel Brakelines
Shelby Engine Fluid Caps
Shelby Sequential Tail Lights
Shelby Brake Duct Kit and Driving Lights
Shelby CS40 20x9/20x10/Goodyear F1 255/295

65 GT 289, 4-Spd, Pony Int
66 289, Auto, Pony Int
66 GT Vert, Auto, Pony Int
70 Boss 302, Calypso Coral
70 Boss 302, Red
83 GT, White, Auto
86 SVO, 5-Spd, Black w/ Tungsten Gray

#131 OFFLINE   EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,243 posts
  • Joined 15-March 09

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

I have a guy local to me, Lonestar Performance. Or, I may take a trip to Vegas to the speed shop. Canned tunes are fine but I prefer a live tune as all of the engine's parameters can be monitored. My plans are simular to yours, I'm collecting parts as funds allow.

Any surging should be corrected through tuning. Tuning as far as I'm concerned is Voodoo and requires someone with specific knowledge for the car and mods being tuned. Too many 'professionals' say they can tune and occasionally a blind squarle will find an acorn.

Edited by EL SHELBY, 31 December 2012 - 08:06 AM.

Posted Image

#132 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

Andy,

Why did you not have Injected Engineering do a custom tune? I find it odd that you were expecting a lot of gains with your mods by having IE modify the Steeda tune which has already taken into account the mods you were making. As you know, our cars are similar in setup and IE did my custom tune and I am very happy with it. Let me know if you want to get together sometime and we can compare notes.

Robert

Hey Robert,

I just sent you a PM....I'm not very happy with the result that I got from them (Injected Engineering). I'm pretty sure that they did NOT perform a custom tune on my car, and I'm almost 100% positive that I paid for a Dyno tune with my new equipment to replace the entire Steeda canned tune, and they told me that they really didn't need to adjust anything when I picked up my car. I'm pretty sure there was some room for improvement in my tune from the simple Steeda canned tune.

Once I get back to town, we should get together to compare notes. I'd like your opinion on what I received in the end with my car.

Thanks,
Andy.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

#133 OFFLINE   andrewnagle1964

andrewnagle1964

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,415 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

Andy

Anytime you can make it to Asheville you are welcome to drive it.

I need a new tune as I have been locked into a nitrous tune for the last 12 months since my tuner passed away. I will be taking it to Pro-Dyno in Fort Mill SC in the next month or so.

I custom tune is way better than a " canned tune" and if you can't find one local I would either deal with one of several guys on the Internet who do remote tuning (as long as you have a wide and and handheld and access to a dyno) Lund tuning, hell their is a guy in Venezula who is doing tunes for the guys on the S197 forum or take it to Florida to VPM or head north to Pro-Dyno or Amazon tuning.

Don't give up.

Happy new year

Andrew
The Black 07SGT4986 (RIP April14, 2010) to the White 07SGT4623......thanks for the grace of God no one died.

#134 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Hey Andrew....I may have to come see your ride. I really want to know what the next steps will result in before I pull the trigger.

Now I know this is not anything close to what I'm looking at doing, but I yesterday afternoon I went for a quick ride in Sam's (2007_Shelby_GT aka Devil Bunny) 07 SGT with the E-force supercharger...HOLY COW! 5lbs of boost is amazing...he is putting down over 460 RWHP. I have driven a slightly modified 2011 GT500, and it was no where close to Sam's vehicle.

I've seen plenty of GT500s and many SGTs, and I have to say that Sam's vehicle is one of the most impressive and sharpest looking SGTs I've ever seen or driven. The only thing wrong with it is that it's not parked in MY garage!! LOL!! (thanks for the ride Sam!)

Makes me want the 400+ HP more and more!!

Andy.

Edited by AndyGJ, 01 January 2013 - 08:20 PM.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

#135 OFFLINE   2007_Shelby_GT

2007_Shelby_GT

Certified Shelby Nut

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,581 posts
  • Joined 18-January 08
  • Interests:Planes, cars, good times, good friends!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hey Andrew....I may have to come see your ride. I really want to know what the next steps will result in before I pull the trigger.

Now I know this is not anything close to what I'm looking at doing, but I yesterday afternoon I went for a quick ride in Sam's (2007_Shelby_GT aka Devil Bunny) 07 SGT with the E-force supercharger...HOLY COW! 5lbs of boost is amazing...he is putting down over 460 RWHP. I have driven a slightly modified 2011 GT500, and it was no where close to Sam's vehicle.

I've seen plenty of GT500s and many SGTs, and I have to say that Sam's vehicle is one of the most impressive and sharpest looking SGTs I've ever seen or driven. The only thing wrong with it is that it's not parked in MY garage!! LOL!! (thanks for the ride Sam!)

Makes me want the 400+ HP more and more!!

Andy.

Andy,

You're making me blush! You need not look further than your own garage to see a sharp looking SGT! We all know the SGT is hands down one of, if not the best looking S197 Mustangs out there!

I had to go back to work for the rest of the week, but hopefully we can get together for drinks and or dinner before you guys take off!

Sam

AKA:
Posted Image
My Trademark - Don't even think about using it!
In Memory Of Willy T

#136 OFFLINE   07SGT

07SGT

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Joined 11-January 08

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

I wish SAI would authorize the Edelbrock as part of the SGT/SC package. The 5 psi of boost can only help longevity and I would think that is what SAI and SGT owners desire.
SAI, are you listening? Why not replace Paxton, whom you will no longer install, with Edelbrock?

#137 OFFLINE   JT93

JT93

07SGT5059

• Great Lakes Region
  • 582 posts
  • Joined 26-January 10

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

I wish SAI would authorize the Edelbrock as part of the SGT/SC package. The 5 psi of boost can only help longevity and I would think that is what SAI and SGT owners desire.
SAI, are you listening? Why not replace Paxton, whom you will no longer install, with Edelbrock?

If I understand it correctly, you can still have a paxton installed as part of the SGT/SC package. But it can only be installed at the speed shop in Vegas and you need to sign a waiver about the environmental standards.

mw2paq.jpg

Whatever the competition comes out with, we'll kick the hell out of 'em. - Carroll Shelby

Sequential Tail Lights

Corbeau TRS Seats
Corbeau Racing Harnesses
Shelby Harness Bar
Shelby Harness Pads
SVT Rims for the track
FRPP Hot Rod Cams
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body
FRPP Intake Manifold
FRPP Black Cam Covers

FR500S Differential

FRPP Hubs w/ ARP Studs
Brembo Brake Upgrade
FRPP Brake Cooling Kit

Shaftmasters Driveshaft
MRT Muffler Delete

#138 OFFLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 11,845 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Shelby GT's (what else), Guitar, Camping in my RV, auto racing, autocross, car shows

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

I like that idea - with a nice Shelby/Edelbrock plate on the supercharger....
2007 Shelby GT CSM# 07SGT1917 - the "Garage Queen"

Performance White, Hurst 5-Speed, Premium Package

Shelby 4.6L Racing Valve Covers ,Shelby Turbo Mufflers, Shelby GT Brake Duct Kit, "S" snake faux gas cap, Carroll Shelby autographed dash, Improved Shelby GT hood scoop replaced by Tasca Mod Shop, Craig's Custom License Plate Bracket, Baer GT Rotors, Hawk HP Plus Pads, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Hi Temp Brake Fluid, J&M Street/Race Extreme Joint Lower Control Arms, J&M Double Adjustable Panhard Rod (Street/Race) ...

2013 Mustang GT Premium - the "Daily Driver"

Black / Black & Glass Roof, 6-Speed SelectShift, Sync, NAV, Interior Upgrade.....

#139 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Time to work on pulling together the rest of the funds for power upgrades.

I just got back from my first ever track event as a guest with a private group, and it sure was a blast. Surprisingly, I couldn't get above 120 on the straight stretch. I would wind up 3rd and 4th as quick as I could off of turn 9 to head into the stretch, but buy the time I was peaking in 4th, I had to slow down to dive back into turn 1. The few times I went into 5th, it was lack luster. I think the best upgrade that I really would have used at this track event was better 3.73 gears over my stock 3.55s.

The best part of hitting the throttle hard down the stretch was that the sound coming out of the KR mufflers with the new JBA shorty headers was incredibly sweet...each time I did, anyone near the pits or the front part of the paddocks would turn and watch me go. There was another guy there with an 1990 LX 5.0 hatchback that sounded awesome. Minus their mods, it was a 100% carbon copy of my own 1989 LX 5.0 that I sold in 1994. Sad part of their story was that they blew their engine on the very last session of the two day event....will have to be trailered somehow back up to Atlanta. :cry:

Anyway, it was a total blast!!!! Everyone loved the SGT ...got lots of comments about how cool the short throw shifter was, the awesome sound, and a few times that someone either drove me or rode with me to instruct/advise me told me they loved how planted it felt and how much raw power out of the carosel curves (i think that is what they called the large back to back 180 degree turns).

It is amazing to see these cars out in the "wild".....

Andy.

Edited by AndyGJ, 13 January 2013 - 06:02 PM.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

#140 OFFLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 11,845 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Shelby GT's (what else), Guitar, Camping in my RV, auto racing, autocross, car shows

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

Glad you enjoyed it. The track days are always a blast.
2007 Shelby GT CSM# 07SGT1917 - the "Garage Queen"

Performance White, Hurst 5-Speed, Premium Package

Shelby 4.6L Racing Valve Covers ,Shelby Turbo Mufflers, Shelby GT Brake Duct Kit, "S" snake faux gas cap, Carroll Shelby autographed dash, Improved Shelby GT hood scoop replaced by Tasca Mod Shop, Craig's Custom License Plate Bracket, Baer GT Rotors, Hawk HP Plus Pads, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Hi Temp Brake Fluid, J&M Street/Race Extreme Joint Lower Control Arms, J&M Double Adjustable Panhard Rod (Street/Race) ...

2013 Mustang GT Premium - the "Daily Driver"

Black / Black & Glass Roof, 6-Speed SelectShift, Sync, NAV, Interior Upgrade.....

#141 OFFLINE   2007_Shelby_GT

2007_Shelby_GT

Certified Shelby Nut

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,581 posts
  • Joined 18-January 08
  • Interests:Planes, cars, good times, good friends!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Time to work on pulling together the rest of the funds for power upgrades.

I just got back from my first ever track event as a guest with a private group, and it sure was a blast. Surprisingly, I couldn't get above 120 on the straight stretch. I would wind up 3rd and 4th as quick as I could off of turn 9 to head into the stretch, but buy the time I was peaking in 4th, I had to slow down to dive back into turn 1. The few times I went into 5th, it was lack luster. I think the best upgrade that I really would have used at this track event was better 3.73 gears over my stock 3.55s.

The best part of hitting the throttle hard down the stretch was that the sound coming out of the KR mufflers with the new JBA shorty headers was incredibly sweet...each time I did, anyone near the pits or the front part of the paddocks would turn and watch me go. There was another guy there with an 1990 LX 5.0 hatchback that sounded awesome. Minus their mods, it was a 100% carbon copy of my own 1989 LX 5.0 that I sold in 1994. Sad part of their story was that they blew their engine on the very last session of the two day event....will have to be trailered somehow back up to Atlanta. :cry:

Anyway, it was a total blast!!!! Everyone loved the SGT ...got lots of comments about how cool the short throw shifter was, the awesome sound, and a few times that someone either drove me or rode with me to instruct/advise me told me they loved how planted it felt and how much raw power out of the carosel curves (i think that is what they called the large back to back 180 degree turns).

It is amazing to see these cars out in the "wild".....

Andy.

Sounds like someone's hooked! :D

I got your text message Andy, glad everything worked out and there were no "off road" events to mar your weekend! Weather wasn't even a factor - it sure was beautiful down in Ocala and Cedar Key - but I would have loved to have joined you in Savannah!

I've got a buddy here in Jacksonville that's working on a gathering at VIR - that could turn into something our division might find interesting!

Sam
AKA:
Posted Image
My Trademark - Don't even think about using it!
In Memory Of Willy T

#142 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

I took the SGT to LD's Performance (Larry Day), and had him build 3 custom tunes for me. We thought about going to a local dyno to get the official numbers, but decided to wait about a month until he gets his personal dyno installed at his shop.

I told him to call me when it's up and running, and I'll be his first customer on the dyno!

Interestingly, Larry told me that based on what I have presently installed on my car, that I should NOT do the FRPP Hot Rod cams. If anything, he suggested doing the 3.73 FRPP gears and at most the FRPP Performance Intake. He felt that with these parts and the custom tune, that I would be extremely happy with the performance and HP/Torque combo. With the HR cams and the Steeda motor mounts, he felt that the cams would cause more vibration that I would like if sitting in any amount of traffic.

I tend to agree.

I'll again take this one step at a time...FRPP 3.73 gears next in line, then the FRPP Intake (minimal performance gain) to complement the FRPP 62 mm TB. If I get to around the 380 - 390 hp range with that combo, then I should be plenty happy. He felt that right now I'm at about 355 - 360 hp (again these are at the flywheel numbers) just based on the MAF sensor readings. We will know the real hard numbers at the wheels once it's up on the dyno again.

I hope to do the 3.73 gears in March after the 15th.

Andy.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

#143 OFFLINE   andrewnagle1964

andrewnagle1964

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,415 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

Nice !

Larry is correct with the FRPP cams and the firmer mounts the rumble is there. I have tons of NV and since I drive it solely for pleasure I actually enjoy it. Took a friend from Asheville to Cleveland and he thought we were in a race car. 1 piece drive shaft , LT's non poly bushings, all add up to lots of vibration and noise.

Glad you found a tuner locally

Andrew
The Black 07SGT4986 (RIP April14, 2010) to the White 07SGT4623......thanks for the grace of God no one died.

#144 OFFLINE   young768

young768

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts
  • Joined 23-July 07

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

How would LD's tunes be any different than the other tunes you bought if he cannot even dyno the car? Sounds like more guessing and money spent that you will later find you bought the same thing you already have.

I love the Hot Rod cams but agree with the motor mounts you have and driving the car as a daily driver you may find the rumble and vibration to be more than you want to deal with. Fun for cruising and great performance though.
2007 Shelby GT CSM# 07SGT4478
White 5-Spd

FRPP Hot Rod Cams
FRPP Shorty Headers - Ceramic
Baer Extreme Brakes - Front
Baer Eradispeed Rotors - Rear
Steeda Stainless Steel Brakelines
Shelby Engine Fluid Caps
Shelby Sequential Tail Lights
Shelby Brake Duct Kit and Driving Lights
Shelby CS40 20x9/20x10/Goodyear F1 255/295

65 GT 289, 4-Spd, Pony Int
66 289, Auto, Pony Int
66 GT Vert, Auto, Pony Int
70 Boss 302, Calypso Coral
70 Boss 302, Red
83 GT, White, Auto
86 SVO, 5-Spd, Black w/ Tungsten Gray

#145 OFFLINE   MyBlueHeaven

MyBlueHeaven

evil witha D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 352 posts
  • Joined 16-September 10

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

That's the worst reason not to add a performance piece I have heard to date. Yes there is going to be some rocking, but that's part of adding cams, it's a performance car NOT a Mercedes, add the cams or you're just giong to be dissapointed again with the results of the other parts you do add. Ya might as well not do the intake either, It's designed to give you gains WITH the headers and cams. Your really not going to see much by itself without the other two. It'll be mostly cosmetic for $600+. I did my parts install just like you're doing yours, one piece at a time and could tellb you for a fact.

And sorry but I have to agree with Young 768 above, why would you pay for more guessing tunes? The car needs to be tuned on the dyno otherwise it's just that, guessing!

Edited by MyBlueHeaven, 15 February 2013 - 09:19 PM.

2008 Shelby GT CSM# 08SGT1588
Mods include:

Engine:
Kenne Bell 2.6L Intercooled 9psi, Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams, Ford Racing Valve covers, BBK Ceramic Long tube Headers w/catted x pipe, BBK 62mm throttle body, John Lund racing custom tune, Moroso aluminum coolant / SC coolant, and power steering tanks, Shelby fuse box cover, Shelby brake reservior cover, Borla touring mufflers, JLT Oil Separator.

Suspension and drivetrain
Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Scott Drake Dif cover, Steeda billet lower control arms, Steeda aluminum street adjustable panhard bar, Steeda heavy duty panhard bar brace, FRPP LCA relocation brackets, Bob's axle reservoir kit; Steeda adjustable street upper control arm and mount; Steeda aluminum one piece drieshaft.  BMR tubular radiator support

Exterior:
GT500 Rear Spoiler, Staggered 18" FR500 Wheels, Shelby brake cooling bezels and ducts w/piaa lights, Silver "Pit Stripes" W/ TRT and social director stickers. matching Shelby Lower grill
IMAG0385
Moroso SC coolant tank

#146 OFFLINE   bobkwiat

bobkwiat

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Joined 25-March 06

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

That's the worst reason not to add a performance piece I have heard to date. Yes there is going to be some rocking, but that's part of adding cams, it's a performance car NOT a Mercedes, add the cams or you're just giong to be dissapointed again with the results of the other parts you do add. Ya might as well not do the intake either, It's designed to give you gains WITH the headers and cams. Your really not going to see much by itself without the other two. It'll be mostly cosmetic for $600+. I did my parts install just like you're doing yours, one piece at a time and could tellb you for a fact.

And sorry but I have to agree with Young 768 above, why would you pay for more guessing tunes? The car needs to be tuned on the dyno otherwise it's just that, guessing!

I agree 100 %. I had Hot Rod cams, FRPP throttle body, FRPP intake, Kooks LTs,4.10's, installed at Alternative Auto here in Metro Detroit, along with a dyno tune. Drive-ability is near stock. No stumbling off idle etc. I think that the "rocking" depends on where the idle is set. I hardly notice any rocking.

MyBlueHeaven made a great point in the parts all working together. I had the intake installed after the cams,throttle body and LT's and my car made an additional 18 r.w.h.p. I was happy with that. I also went from 3.55's to 3.73's and then to 4.10's. I should have listened to folks and done the 4.10's from the get go. I love the feel with 4.10's. They make the car feel 500 pounds lighter and IMO work great with the cams.

#147 OFFLINE   JT93

JT93

07SGT5059

• Great Lakes Region
  • 582 posts
  • Joined 26-January 10

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

I agree 100 %. I had Hot Rod cams, FRPP throttle body, FRPP intake, Kooks LTs,4.10's, installed at Alternative Auto here in Metro Detroit, along with a dyno tune. Drive-ability is near stock. No stumbling off idle etc. I think that the "rocking" depends on where the idle is set. I hardly notice any rocking.

MyBlueHeaven made a great point in the parts all working together. I had the intake installed after the cams,throttle body and LT's and my car made an additional 18 r.w.h.p. I was happy with that. I also went from 3.55's to 3.73's and then to 4.10's. I should have listened to folks and done the 4.10's from the get go. I love the feel with 4.10's. They make the car feel 500 pounds lighter and IMO work great with the cams.

How did you like Alternative Automotive? I thought about going there but heard some not so great things about there customer service.

mw2paq.jpg

Sequential Tail Lights

Corbeau TRS Seats
Corbeau Racing Harnesses
Shelby Harness Bar
Shelby Harness Pads
SVT Rims for the track
FRPP Hot Rod Cams
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body
FRPP Intake Manifold
FRPP Black Cam Covers

FR500S Differential

FRPP Hubs w/ ARP Studs
Brembo Brake Upgrade
FRPP Brake Cooling Kit

Shaftmasters Driveshaft
MRT Muffler Delete

#148 OFFLINE   bobkwiat

bobkwiat

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Joined 25-March 06

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

How did you like Alternative Automotive? I thought about going there but heard some not so great things about there customer service.

Nothing but good to say about Alternative Auto. Outstanding customer service in my experience. The place is immaculate and they have been very careful with my car. No complaints at all. They have a spring and a fall dyno day/open house. They post the dates on their website take a ride over, talk to customers and see what you think.

I did a quick search on the SVT forum

http://www.svtperfor...-new-setup.html

http://www.svtperfor...ding-areas.html

http://www.svtperfor...tune-resul.html

I have seen folks there from all over the country. Here is their website.

http://www.alternati...o.com/Home.html

#149 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I thought that the dyno was mandatory as well to get the tune correct, but Larry said that was definitely necessary for a forced induction engine. He explained it to me in detail about a month or two ago, but basically with a N/A motor, you can get all of your readings directly from the MAF sensor...he told me the only thing you could not do was get a nice pretty printout showing the HP & TQ curves and tell me to the exact number what the resulting HP would be. Based on the MAF readings, he could maximize the engine's performance without the use of a dyno.

He said he could put it on the dyno for an extra $100 and one extra day to get it to a dyno location, but I opted to wait at this point. Based on the minor amounts of driving I have done with it on the 91 tune, my "seat of the pants" dyno tells me there is a noticeable difference from the canned Steeda 93 tune. The idle is much smoother and the minor amount of "pulsing" that I had from the UDP pulley and shorty header install is now gone.

At this point, I'm happy with what I paid to solve a fuel problem as well as getting the tunes. I was having a problem with something in the tuning and/or mod combinations that I have recently done that was causing me to eat fuel...I could tell just from standing behind the car that it was running really rich. I already had it checked by the dealership, and they said that nothing was wrong or out of sorts, but now that LD's had tuned it, the fuel issue is solved as well. I didn't have any time to replace the Var. Valve Timing sensor (have to pull the driver's side valve cover to install) since it was leaking oil on my new Shelby valve covers I installed. The dealer wanted $210 to do it...Larry charged me $50 and $150 for the tunes, so I figure I got both for the price of the dealership just doing one item (at least that 's what I told the wife!)..."See honey, I saved $10."

I'll try the other 93 octane tunes in a few days and report back if there is any substantial difference for me. I do want to get this on a dyno and see what the true HP number is as well as a TQ number...can't tell the TQ number from tuning with the MAF sensor.

Young 768 - One of these days we do need to meet back up so I can experience your FRPP Hot Rod cams by sitting in the car and riding with you. I'd also be interested to see what your thougths are on my mods at this point and how the performance compares between the two cars.

I'm not ruling out the HR cams completely at this point...still going one step at a time.

Andy.

Edited by AndyGJ, 17 February 2013 - 09:02 PM.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

#150 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Update on the progress....

The tunes I got from the custom tune work loaded in my SCT-X3 are:

1) 91 Octane
2) 93 Octane Mild
3) 93 Octane Aggressive

but when I left the shop, Larry Day loaded just the 91 tune in the SGT, and told me to try out all three to see what I think. After driving around a couple of days on the 91 tune, I would say it is a slight bit better than the Steeda 93 canned tune that I loaded in from them when I got my 62mm throttle body. The response was good and acceleration was solid...it felt like there was a little more pull from 3,000 RPMs and up. Gass mileage was also improved.

Well, today I went into the office early this morning, but then had to run back home before lunch...once I got there, I decided to take the SGT back to work instead of the Expedition. However, before I left to head back, I quickly grabbed the tuner and swapped out to the 93 Octane - Mild tune.

On the drive back to the office, I took it easy with just normal driving for the 15 mile trip. In heading out to lunch, I decided to see what was the difference between the Steeda canned tune and the Custom Tune.

HOLY COW!!!!! Talk about a "wake up call"....this is the difference I was expecting to see with the upgrade to the Steeda tune, so it just goes to show that there is no substitute for a "custom tune" on these cars!! Now, it runs quick up to 3,000 rpms, but once above 3k, it felt like someone shoved the car really hard in the back...the thing just took off like it never has done before!!! I could not believe the difference. I can only imagine what the Aggressive tune must feel like!

This is how this car should have felt after it rolled off the line from SAI in my opinion. Either way, I'm loving it now!!!

Andy.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users