Team Shelby New Member

• Pacific Northwest Region
  • 167 posts
  • Joined 24-August 12
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:Cars
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Ever wonder where all the rocks go that you hear pinging off your wheel wells? I found them. It appears that they collect somehow inside the rocker panel.
Posted Image

This is what I cleaned out of the back of one side. That's from 2900 miles. Alaska roads aren't the best, but they're not THAT bad. And no, I never drove it on a gravel road.

THIS is why I change my own oil, detail my own cars, etc. You never know what you'll discover when you're crawling around underneath it.

Edited by Husky44, 08 December 2012 - 11:58 PM.

2013 GT500 Convertible: Grabber Blue, Black Stripes, SVTPP, NAV, Recaros, Shaker Pro
Posted Image

1967 Mustang Convertible: Restomod (in progress)--347, TF heads and intake, World Class T5, 8.8 with 4:10s, Cobra 4 wheel disc brakes...

#2 OFFLINE   Norton

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 09-June 12
  • Region:Mountain

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

Ever wonder where all the rocks go that you hear pinging off your wheel wells? I found them. It appears that they collect somehow inside the rocker panel.
This is what I cleaned out of the back of one side. That's from 2900 miles. Alaska roads aren't the best, but they're not THAT bad. And no, I never drove it on a gravel road.

WOW!

THIS is why I change my own oil, detail my own cars, etc. You never know what you'll discover when you're crawling around underneath it.

+1!

2013 Coupe, Triple Black, SVTPP, SVTTP, Recaros, Electronics Pkg, Shaker Pro, & Cover / 642HP, 621 FT-LBS
#908 of 1464, Built on 16 Oct, Delivered by Whitney's Value Ford in Elma, WA on 9 Nov
Mods: 
MPSS Tires on Base Wheels, Revan Racing Engine Bay Reservoirs, JLT CF Intake, Airaid SynthaMax Filter, Bob's Ultimate Oil Separator, FRPP Strut Tower Brace, MGW Shifter, SS Brake & Clutch Lines, Ford Racing & AeroForce Interceptor Gauges, Jaeger Bros Stone Guards, VLED 5K CREE Driving Lights, Clutch-Assist Spring Removed, True Forged Heat Extractor, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Plus, Viper Ultra Tint, Bob's Map & License Plate LEDs, Rogue Radar-Mount, Lloyd Mats, Shelby Dash Plaque, CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna, JLT Painted Radiator Cover, Mobil 1 & Amsoil Lubricants

IMG_0330_zps4304eb1d.jpg

Originally ordered from Phil Long Ford Chapel Hills (CO) on 18 Jun, my order dropped from "#1 of 3" to "#3 of 2" on 19 Sep
Moral of the story: Do NOT shop Phil Long Ford Chapel Hills in Colo Spgs, CO

#3 OFFLINE   Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

No one cares more about your car than you do.

2013 GT500 Coupe - HPW with Black Stripes - SVT PP - SVT TP - Redline Hood Struts - Yeager Bros Front Gravel Guards - Bob's Oil Separator -AirAid Blue Non-Oiled Air Filter - CarboTech 1521 Ceramic Brake Pads - Resonator Eliminator Kit - WeatherTech Floor Mats
Car Ordered 5-27-2012 - Delivered 1-26-2013

#4 OFFLINE   bergenfelter

bergenfelter

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 460 posts
  • Joined 07-April 12
  • Region:Great Lakes
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:26 AM

That is why I installed the Jaeger Bros. front flaps on mine - those G2's are slightly wider than the stock front flaps - the Jaeger Bros. look perfectly stock.

#5 OFFLINE   jskup1

jskup1

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 04-February 12

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

It's even worse in the rear diffuser.

#6 OFFLINE   Husky44

Husky44

Team Shelby New Member

• 167 posts
  • Joined 24-August 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

Found a bunch today wedged between the exhaust tips.
2013 GT500 Convertible: Grabber Blue, Black Stripes, SVTPP, NAV, Recaros, Shaker Pro
Posted Image

1967 Mustang Convertible: Restomod (in progress)--347, TF heads and intake, World Class T5, 8.8 with 4:10s, Cobra 4 wheel disc brakes...

#7 OFFLINE   2scmustangs

2scmustangs

Team Shelby New Member

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 33 posts
  • Joined 02-April 06
  • Interests:cars

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

when I put on my roush rocker panel splitters I FOUND THE SAME THING about two hand full of gravel . thats with 1800 miles on her and it was all from the back of the rocker panel near the back wheels i never had it on a gravel road

#8 OFFLINE   svt13

svt13

Team Shelby Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • Joined 24-April 12
  • Region:Northeast

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

The solution is to change the tires to something other than the goodyears. They are no good.
2013 shelby gt500 black w/black stripe SVTPP,Recaros,Electronics Package,Glass roof,car cover.

Mods:
35% window tint

nav-tv rear view camera
Red line hood struts
Front splitter curb alert system
Super snake carbon fiber splitter
APR Performance carbon fiber mirror assembly
JLT CF resonator delete w/blue airaid Filter
Shelby transmission cooler scoope
BMR UCA with Mount, BMR adjustable panhard bar
Bob's billet LCA and bob's oil separator
FRPP springs
HRE p40 w/Michelin Super sport tires

Future mods going on the car soon: Shelby floor and trunk mat, custom made EPCO shifter knob

Mods undecided about:
Boss x brace, MGW shifter, Boss side exhaust, Corsa black diamond axleback, Lithium battery

#9 OFFLINE   ingram4868

ingram4868

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,363 posts
  • Joined 05-September 05
  • Interests:Love of God, Family and Great Cars

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

This could be an opportunity for someone to come up with a product that would keep out the junk. If the rocks get in there so does the winter road salts. Considering the millions of Mustangs out there this could be a big seller.
David Ingram
Sparks, NV.
Newest addition 1100 mile 2007 GT500

#10 OFFLINE   jskup1

jskup1

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 04-February 12

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

The solution is to change the tires to something other than the goodyears. They are no good.

My V6 with Pirelli's did the same thing.

#11 OFFLINE   san6279

san6279

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 10-July 12

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Probably a stupid question, but...best way to remove the rocks?

#12 OFFLINE   2010KonaBlueGT

2010KonaBlueGT

There's room at the top. Space is limited...RSVP!

• Mountain Region
  • 7,264 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09
  • Interests:Anything Fast - Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Planes, Women, etc. Building Hi-Po engines. Sailing, Riding Motorcycles (dirt & street), Racing - Motorcycles & Cars, Bowling & Drinking Beer!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Yep, I found the same thing on my 2010 when I decided to go after the alignment of the rear stone guard/flaps. Not to the same extent you had but I'm pretty carefull about driving my car on a road that hadn't been swept (after it snows they put "sand" down then sweep it back up to reuse it).

It's pretty simple to get them out but first you have to realize they are in there!

Phill

2010 GT500 Coupe
Kona Blue w/White OTT Stripes and Red Accent Stripes
Electronics Package, HID's & Car Cover

CURRENT MODS: FRPP: Whipple 2.9L Polished Superchager w/Crusher Inlet & Cobra Jet Dual 65mm Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers - Ford GT Blue Cam Covers - Polished Billet COP & Oil Filler Cap Covers - FR3 Handling Pack w/Tokico Struts/Shocks & Eibach Swaybars - Jounce Bumpers - 8.8" Low Profile Axle Girdle - 3" Front Brake Cooling Ducts - Vacuum/Boost Gauge~ MGW: Short Throw Shifter - White w/Blue Stripes Shifter Knob - Radiator and Intercooler Degas Bottle Caps - Seat Recliner Lever Covers - Parking Brake Handle Cover - Coat Hanger Hooks~ PST: 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft~ Revan Racing: C&R Radiator and Intercooler~ ROUSH: 3x Intercooler Degas Bottle - Side Splitters - Extreme Off-road Exhaust - Adjustable Trailing Arms (LCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link (UCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link Bracket - AC Vent Pod Vac/Boost Gauge Mount~ SHELBY: SC Aux. Idler Pulley - Oil Dipstick Handle, MC, PS & WS Washer Reservoir Caps - 8-qt. Oil Pan - Tubular K-Member Subframe - Tubular A-arms - CS S1000 Billet Aluminum Transmission Crossmember - Seat Harness Bar - 6S Extreme Rear Brakes - 6S Extreme Front Brakes - GT500KR Front Brake Cooling Duct Bezels - Anti Bump-stear Tie-rod Ends - Race Style Swaybar Links - Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates - Adjustable Panhard Bar - Panhard Bar/Body Brace - GT500KR Rear Axle Reservoir - Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets -18" GT500KR Alcoa Dura-Bright Wheels & Goodyear GT500KR Winged Boot F1 Supercar Tires~ Raptor Shift Light

PURCHASED AND AWAITING INSTALLATION: Shelby/Metco Fuel Rails - Shelby Alcoa Forged 20" Dura-Bright Super Snake Style Wheels - Shelby Billet Aluminum Fuel Door - NMB2 2-Stage WOT Box - Granatelli Motors Tire Fryer Line-lock - ZEX N2O kit - Ford Racing Lighted Sill Plates w/Ford Racing logo.

Soon to be "For Sale": Eradispeed Rear Brake Rotors & Caliper Relocation Brackets

#13 OFFLINE   RickW

RickW

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 04-October 12
  • Interests:Freedom!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Posted Image

This is a big wake-up call. Also, there is a similar thread on SVTP, on which a poster whose screen-name is "Snorman" posted pictures of his pock-marked rocker panels on his car -- which has only 1,300 miles. It was bad, really bad, and I would be furious if this happened to my $60,000+ car.

I ordered the stone guards from Shelby. I'm seriously considering the fullest clear paint protection I can get, too (Xpel, or something like that). Would probably be a good investment, considering the cost of the car and where I live (New Mexico).

I wish I would have had something like that when I first moved here 11 years ago. I was driving my Cobra on I-25 from Santa Fe to Albuquerque, and realized I was driving into a fairly strong headwind. It wasn't fierce like a dust storm or a sand storm (which are pretty common around here, and which I would have had the good sense not to drive my car in), but it was just windy enough to blow unseen sand into the air and into my path. I've got the results to prove it: You can't tell unless you're looking really close, but shining a Surefire flashlight onto the front of the car and the windshield reveals about 50 million little tiny chips that the blowing sand took out of the paint on every surface on the front of the car -- and the windshield. Evidently, those unseen airborne sand and dust particles can and will wreak havoc on our cars' finishes -- at least here in the Desert Southwest.

Rick

#14 OFFLINE   san6279

san6279

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 10-July 12

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

Rick, Xpel Ultimate clear bra highly recommended.

#15 OFFLINE   Farmer-Ted

Farmer-Ted

Team Shelby New Member

• Mountain Region
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 04-October 12

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

Garden hose. I flush out those areas every time I was the car. Some will get stuck but scraping them out of every crevice can do more damage than good.

Edited by Farmer-Ted, 13 December 2012 - 02:43 PM.

2013 GT500 - Black, black and black.
1992 GT - Termifoxinator 92/03 hybrid

#16 OFFLINE   san6279

san6279

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 10-July 12

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Farmer-Ted, thanks for the info. Will use water only...

#17 OFFLINE   Husky44

Husky44

Team Shelby New Member

• 167 posts
  • Joined 24-August 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

This is a big wake-up call. Also, there is a similar thread on SVTP, on which a poster whose screen-name is "Snorman" posted pictures of his pock-marked rocker panels on his car -- which has only 1,300 miles. It was bad, really bad, and I would be furious if this happened to my $60,000+ car.

I ordered the stone guards from Shelby. I'm seriously considering the fullest clear paint protection I can get, too (Xpel, or something like that). Would probably be a good investment, considering the cost of the car and where I live (New Mexico).

I wish I would have had something like that when I first moved here 11 years ago. I was driving my Cobra on I-25 from Santa Fe to Albuquerque, and realized I was driving into a fairly strong headwind. It wasn't fierce like a dust storm or a sand storm (which are pretty common around here, and which I would have had the good sense not to drive my car in), but it was just windy enough to blow unseen sand into the air and into my path. I've got the results to prove it: You can't tell unless you're looking really close, but shining a Surefire flashlight onto the front of the car and the windshield reveals about 50 million little tiny chips that the blowing sand took out of the paint on every surface on the front of the car -- and the windshield. Evidently, those unseen airborne sand and dust particles can and will wreak havoc on our cars' finishes -- at least here in the Desert Southwest.

Rick

FWIW, I saw Snorman's pcs. My car has no damage at all like that in 2900 miles of AK roads. So all of that gravel you see from my car got there without any damage to my paint. Not sure what damaged his car, but I would hazard a guess that we're dealing with two different issues...
Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   JT93

JT93

07SGT5059

• Great Lakes Region
  • 582 posts
  • Joined 26-January 10

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Depending on where they are I use either a garden hose as stated above or compressed air.

mw2paq.jpg

Whatever the competition comes out with, we'll kick the hell out of 'em. - Carroll Shelby

Carroll Shelby Signed Airbag Cover
Great Lakes Region Windshield Banner
Sequential Tail Lights

Boss 302 Rear Seat Delete
Corbeau TRS Seats
Corbeau Racing Harnesses
Shelby Harness Bar
Shelby Harness Pads
SVT Rims for the track
Boss 302 Rims for the street
FRPP Hot Rod Cams
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body
FRPP Intake Manifold
FRPP Black Cam Covers

FRPP 3.73:1 Gearset

FR500S Differential

FRPP Hubs w/ ARP Studs
Brembo Brake Upgrade
FRPP Brake Cooling Kit

Shaftmasters Driveshaft
Dynatech Long Tubes w/ High Flow Cats
MRT Muffler Delete

Tow Hook with Custom Bracket
Tuned by Paul's High Performance

#19 OFFLINE   RickW

RickW

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 04-October 12

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

Rick, Xpel Ultimate clear bra highly recommended.

Thanks. From their Web site, the only installer here in Albuquerque is a Mercedes Benz dealer. Might be expensive, but I assume they would do good work. I'll give them a call as my delivery date gets closer.

#20 OFFLINE   RickW

RickW

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 04-October 12

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

FWIW, I saw Snorman's pcs. My car has no damage at all like that in 2900 miles of AK roads. So all of that gravel you see from my car got there without any damage to my paint. Not sure what damaged his car, but I would hazard a guess that we're dealing with two different issues...

Yeah, I thought it kinda strange, too. If it's like that on the rocker panels, one wonders what the rest of the car looks like on close inspection. And one wonders what caused it.

I still would like to get some added protection for the paint, though, considering the cost of the car.

I tend to digress, but at my job in my company vehicle (currently, a 2010 Dodge Caravan), I do a lot of highway driving here in New Mexico, about 36,000 miles a year. I tend to go through at least one windshield a year. I don't tailgate the gravel trucks; I don't tailgate anyone, but the flying rocks do seem to find me. Case in point: I was driving to the airport in Durango, Colorado, to pick up a director of sales for an important meeting. In the passenger seat, I had the vice president of my company. It's a two-lane road to the airport. I wasn't doing anything wrong, just driving normal, when an 18-wheel gravel truck in the oncoming lane threw up a golf-ball size rock into my windshield as we passed. BAM! Scared the hell out both of us!

The point is, well, I don't know what the hell the point is. . . . Okay, windshields are replaceable. Factory paint jobs? Not so much, but it might be a good investment to do what one can to protect them. The fact that stuff happens that is completely out of our control -- and what can we do to prevent it? That's a question, to quote Dear Leader, that is "Above my pay grade."

#21 OFFLINE   Squirrel 007

Squirrel 007

Ford Retiree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 168 posts
  • Joined 04-September 12

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

I was driving on a freeway in Michigan when I started coming up on a huge gravel truck and the cars on the freway were zig-zagging all over like a bunch of drunks then pulling to the side of the road with big smashes in their windshields. As I approached the truck all of a sudden I was caught in a storm of small rocks. It seems the back gate of the trailer was bent and bowed out in the middle allowing the rock load to constantly pour out the opening while the truck was doing 70 MPH. I whipped my wheel as 1 inch rocks started belting my Saleen Extreme. I drove down into the median with two wheels on the shoulder and floored it to get around this guy. And believe it or not the driver was laughing maniacally like some possessed demon. He thought it was the funniest thing in the world that he had smashed at least 60 windshields and was hoping to wreck many more apparently. He is lucky somebody with a gun didn't get pissed off and drive along side of him and take him out permanetly. One crazy person. As it is it took a big chunk of paint off my carbon fiber hood.
1997 "Eddie Bauer" Explorer 4X4: White

2002 Saleen Extreme Coupe #59: (1 of 56) Mineral Grey

2003 "James Bond" T-Bird (1 of 700): Hard Top + Convertible Top. Coral with White (Hard Top) Black (Soft Top)

2005 Ranger Pick-up 4X4: Extended Cab, Black

2013 Sheby Gt500 Coupe: Black W/White Stripes, (SVTPP, Track Pack, Recaro's, Electronics Pack, Shaker Pro, Car Cover, Louvers & Scoops)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users