#1 OFFLINE   jwestercamp

jwestercamp

Team Shelby Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 577 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09
  • Region:Mississippi Valley

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hey i am working on an 06 Hertz car, and dont wanna do much to it but thought a set a CAMs would be cool, any suggestions i want to keep the car driveable and not loose low end, but just want the lopey sound. Also if I could make some extra hp that would be cool too. I dont wanna go to wild with this car, was also thinking about going with a Ford Racing intake. Any thoughts? Thanks All

Jon

#2 OFFLINE   tedj

tedj

Team Shelby New Member

• Pacific Northwest Region
  • 239 posts
  • Joined 15-January 10
  • Region:Pacific Northwest
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

We have an 07 GT with Ford Racing cams, Ford Racing shorty headers, Steeda cold air kit, flowmasters and Jon Lund tune. It is still very drivable with a small loss of low end but a good increase on top. Idle sounds good, probably not as extreme as Comp Cams but the Ford cams don't need phase blockers or valve springs. Our car is an automatic and the tune was difficult, it seems like the auto transmission has trouble with the erratic vacuum at idle and the car wants to surge forward at times. Must be careful when driving slowly and be sure to cover the brake.

#3 OFFLINE   jwestercamp

jwestercamp

Team Shelby Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 577 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

so would you do it again or not, I know this sounds stupid but really want it for the sound I have an 07 SGT with a whipple and gears, i have no intentions of making this car that modified but just want a little something was playing with the idea of a set of rear gears as well. Did you do everything at once or in phases. I wont be racing the car just be a fun cruser. How noticable was the low end loss in your opinion i know everyone is different and the seat of the pants ometer is different as well. Thanks for the input

#4 OFFLINE   JeffJ

JeffJ

Hertz #102

• Team Shelby Regional Director
  • 3,957 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07
  • Region:Mountain

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

Before I supercharged, I put in FRPP Hot Rod cams. With the auto, took a decent hit on the bottom end, but a good gain on the top. My quarter mile times actually decreased but my top end speed increased a bunch. Very driveable. Nice lopy idle. I would have done it again as it sounded so good.
JeffJ
2006 Shelby GTH-SC #102
2013 Roush RS - Daily Driver
1993 F150 Lightning #711
1989 AutoKraft/Kenny Brown Short Wheel Base T-bird #001 with a 1969 Supercharged Boss 302 5 speed
1994 AutoKraft Short Wheel Base Lincoln MK VIII #006
1999 F-350 Powerstoke Pony Hauler (Both 4 legged and 4 tired!)
1965 Mustang Coupe 289 Auto
1990 7-Up LX 5.0 Convert - Auto (current basket case, building for my daughter's first car)
1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster 5.0 supercharged Ford V-8
1953 Ford Customline 4dr w/ 1998 4.6 Crown Vic Running gear
1973 Datsun 610 302 Ford V8 power, drift and road race car.
1951 Ford F6 Dump Truck powered by 1985 Ford roller 5.0, full tilt font, can haul 6 tons of rock and run a 18.0 quarter!
2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 V8
2004 Chrysler Crossfire 3.2 Mecedes V-6 6 speed - wife's daily driver

#5 OFFLINE   tedj

tedj

Team Shelby New Member

• Pacific Northwest Region
  • 239 posts
  • Joined 15-January 10
  • Region:Pacific Northwest
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

so would you do it again or not, I know this sounds stupid but really want it for the sound I have an 07 SGT with a whipple and gears, i have no intentions of making this car that modified but just want a little something was playing with the idea of a set of rear gears as well. Did you do everything at once or in phases. I wont be racing the car just be a fun cruser. How noticable was the low end loss in your opinion i know everyone is different and the seat of the pants ometer is different as well. Thanks for the input

My sons car and he did it for the sound. We added headers as we thought it a waste to do cams and not let it breath better. Also added 3.73 gears so the loss of low end was not as noticeable I suppose. We did it all at once so it would be difficult to judge how the different pieces played a role. It does sound very nice. It is a pretty big job, not sure I would do it again but I am sure my son would.

#6 OFFLINE   jwestercamp

jwestercamp

Team Shelby Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 577 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I am a DIY guy but little scared of the cams

#7 OFFLINE   JeffJ

JeffJ

Hertz #102

• 3,957 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

The cams are not that bad. I did mine. You do really need the Ford cam tool however. It really helps to drop out the rockers. You only need to remove them on three cylinders. There are plenty of instructions on the web on how to do it.
JeffJ
2006 Shelby GTH-SC #102
1993 F150 Lightning #711
1989 AutoKraft/Kenny Brown Short Wheel Base T-bird #001 with a 1969 Supercharged Boss 302 5 speed
1990 7-Up LX 5.0 Convert - Auto (current basket case, building for my daughter's first car)
1951 Ford F6 Dump Truck powered by 1985 Ford roller 5.0, full tilt font, can haul 6 tons of rock and run a 18.0 quarter!

#8 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,067 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08
  • Region:South Atlantic

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

I'm doing mine one step at a time....look at the thread I started "Going for 400 HP Naturally Aspirated" to see...I was afraid of low end losses as well, and might not do everything if it pulls down the low end too much.

Andy.

Present Mustang:
2008 Shelby GT Convertible #1676

Mods Installed:
BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 Tires (275/40/R18 Front & Rear)
CDC Sequential Tail Lights
FRPP GT500KR Axleback Mufflers
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body
FRPP Boss 302 Low Expansion Brakelines
Hawk HPS Brake Pads (front & rear)
JBA Tuned Length Ceramic Shorty Headers
LD's Performance Custom Tuning (91 & 93 Octane) w/SCT-X3 Tuner
Redline Hood Struts (w/update kit)
Royal Purple Synthetic Oil 5w20

Royal Purple Differential Gear Lub

Royal Purple Manual Transmission Fluid
Shelby Lower Radiator Grill Insert - Black
Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers
Shelby GT Berg Snake Faux Gas Cap
Shelby GT Berg Snake Front Floor Mats & Trunk Mat
Shelby Plain Rear Seat Floor Mats
Shelby Billet Engine Cap Set
Shelby Billet Fusebox Cover
Shelby Transmission Cooler Scoop
Shelby Front Brake Duct Cooling Kit

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link
Performance Brake Slotted & Cross Drilled Rotors (front & rear)
Ford Motorcraft DOT4 Brake Fluid
Steeda CAI Intake Elbow w/Black Tube
Steeda Motor Mounts (red inserts)
Steeda Under Drive Pulley

Prior Mustangs:

1968 Mustang Coupe - Midnight Blue
1966 Mustang Convertible 289v2 - Red w/black top & interior (still in the family)
1973 Mustang Convertible 351W - Poppy Red w/black top & interior - MCA Senior Division Grand National Retired Winner
1989 Mustang Hatchback 5.0 w/5spd - 25th Anniversary - Red w/red & black interior

#9 OFFLINE   RACERX009

RACERX009

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,546 posts
  • Joined 04-February 08
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:2005 BMW M3
    2007 FX35

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hey i am working on an 06 Hertz car, and dont wanna do much to it but thought a set a CAMs would be cool, any suggestions i want to keep the car driveable and not loose low end, but just want the lopey sound. Also if I could make some extra hp that would be cool too. I dont wanna go to wild with this car, was also thinking about going with a Ford Racing intake. Any thoughts? Thanks All

Jon

Hot rod cams love the sound and I dropped the idle a bit more so it really sounds mean

Proud borrower of my future wife 2014 Mustang gt Automatic Brenspeed tune and CAI 4.10 gears

#10 OFFLINE   jwestercamp

jwestercamp

Team Shelby Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 577 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Yah I downloaded the PDF for the ford cams have a bit of a d d read a bit then moved on. Think I am gonna try it though

#11 OFFLINE   jwestercamp

jwestercamp

Team Shelby Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 577 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Just hope I don't regret it with an automatic and low end loss

#12 OFFLINE   MyBlueHeaven

MyBlueHeaven

evil witha D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 16-September 10
  • Region:South Atlantic

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

I am a DIY guy but little scared of the cams

I did mine as well with a little help from a friend (FRPP hotrod). I'm a DIY guy like you and was a little worried about doing the cams myself. I had already done the FRPP intake so that was out of the way. I used the timing tool, but not the valve lifter, read plenty of reviews where people said you really didn't need it. Don't let the instructions scare you as it did me, it was way easier than I expected. Start to finish I would say 2 1/2 -3 hours, that included clean up and loading the tune. Granted I had a friend helping but it was def not as hard as they make it to be on the instructions. They put way too many warnings on them, I guess to cover their buts from people that have screwed it up, but I think it's overkill.

Anyway, if you decide to do them I have the timing tool and would be willing to let you use it to save you a $100 from having to buy or rent it as long as you paid for shipping to and from. let me know. And yes, with the cams/FR intake set up I did lose some low end power and torque just as JEFFJ said, but I soon there after added the 410 gears and it isn't even noticeable now. I would say go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Jeff

2008 Shelby GT CSM# 08SGT1588
Mods include:

Engine:
Ford Racing Intake Manifold, Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams, Ford Racing Valve covers, BBK Ceramic Long tube Headers w/catted x pipe, BBK 62mm throttle body, BBK Polished Underdrive Pulley, Steeda Carbon fiber CAI elbow, Bama custom tune, Moroso aluminum coolant and power steering tanks, Shelby fuse box cover, Shelby brake reservior cover, Borla touring mufflers, JLT Oil Separator.

Suspension and drivetrain
Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Scott Drake Dif cover, Steeda billet lower control arms, Steeda aluminum street adjustable panhard bar, Steeda heavy duty panhard bar brace, FRPP LCA relocation brackets, Bob's axle reservoir kit; Steeda adjustable street upper control arm and mount; Steeda aluminum one piece drieshaft.  BMR tubular radiator support

Exterior:
GT500 Rear Spoiler, Staggered 18" FR500 Wheels, Shelby brake cooling bezels and ducts w/piaa lights, Silver "Pit Stripes" W/ TRT and social director stickers. matching Shelby Lower grill
IMAG0385
IMAG0222

#13 OFFLINE   JeffJ

JeffJ

Hertz #102

• 3,957 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

I did mine as well with a little help from a friend (FRPP hotrod). I'm a DIY guy like you and was a little worried about doing the cams myself. I had already done the FRPP intake so that was out of the way. I used the timing tool, but not the valve lifter, read plenty of reviews where people said you really didn't need it. Don't let the instructions scare you as it did me, it was way easier than I expected. Start to finish I would say 2 1/2 -3 hours, that included clean up and loading the tune. Granted I had a friend helping but it was def not as hard as they make it to be on the instructions. They put way too many warnings on them, I guess to cover their buts from people that have screwed it up, but I think it's overkill.

Anyway, if you decide to do them I have the timing tool and would be willing to let you use it to save you a $100 from having to buy or rent it as long as you paid for shipping to and from. let me know. And yes, with the cams/FR intake set up I did lose some low end power and torque just as JEFFJ said, but I soon there after added the 410 gears and it isn't even noticeable now. I would say go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Jeff

Agree, the 4:10 gears are a best friend to the Hot Rod cams with an auto tranny.
JeffJ
2006 Shelby GTH-SC #102
1993 F150 Lightning #711

#14 OFFLINE   jwestercamp

jwestercamp

Team Shelby Member

• Northern Plains Region
  • 577 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

Thanks guys I will take you up on the cam tool offer if you don't mind. Thank you!

Edited by jwestercamp, 16 December 2012 - 12:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users