AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,067 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08
  • Region:South Atlantic

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

HELP!

I'm in the middle of installing the SPP Shelby GT Front Brake Cooling kit, and I'm on the hardest part & need some help/guidance.

I'm working on the passenger's side, and I've cut the two holes out of the front lower bumper....man, was I nervous about that. I cut the two holes from the templates that I downloaded off the SPP site, and trying to fit the bezel piece in...but it won't fit.

I've tried cutting the holes wider and wider to see if that helps, but I don't want to make them too large. I noticed in the instructions that came with the kit (instructions were there but no templates) that they show in the pictures that they cut an hour glass shape single hole instead of two individual holes....should I cut through the divider piece?

Any thoughts or advice from those who have done this recently...Ilmor, how did your's go?

Once I get this step done I'm home free!

Thanks,
Andy.

Present Mustang:
2008 Shelby GT Convertible #1676

Mods Installed:
BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 Tires (275/40/R18 Front & Rear)
CDC Sequential Tail Lights
FRPP GT500KR Axleback Mufflers
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body
FRPP Boss 302 Low Expansion Brakelines
Hawk HPS Brake Pads (front & rear)
JBA Tuned Length Ceramic Shorty Headers
LD's Performance Custom Tuning (91 & 93 Octane) w/SCT-X3 Tuner
Redline Hood Struts (w/update kit)
Royal Purple Synthetic Oil 5w20

Royal Purple Differential Gear Lub

Royal Purple Manual Transmission Fluid
Shelby Lower Radiator Grill Insert - Black
Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers
Shelby GT Berg Snake Faux Gas Cap
Shelby GT Berg Snake Front Floor Mats & Trunk Mat
Shelby Plain Rear Seat Floor Mats
Shelby Billet Engine Cap Set
Shelby Billet Fusebox Cover
Shelby Transmission Cooler Scoop
Shelby Front Brake Duct Cooling Kit

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link
Performance Brake Slotted & Cross Drilled Rotors (front & rear)
Ford Motorcraft DOT4 Brake Fluid
Steeda CAI Intake Elbow w/Black Tube
Steeda Motor Mounts (red inserts)
Steeda Under Drive Pulley

Prior Mustangs:

1968 Mustang Coupe - Midnight Blue
1966 Mustang Convertible 289v2 - Red w/black top & interior (still in the family)
1973 Mustang Convertible 351W - Poppy Red w/black top & interior - MCA Senior Division Grand National Retired Winner
1989 Mustang Hatchback 5.0 w/5spd - 25th Anniversary - Red w/red & black interior

#2 OFFLINE   Wayne1948

Wayne1948

Team Shelby New Member

• Northeast Region
  • 420 posts
  • Joined 20-September 11
  • Region:Northeast
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Andy if your sure that the template holes are the right size - I enlarged them a little and smoothed them out with a dremmel --- I then found that I had to insert it starting toward the bottom and then pushing in the top -- it did kind of snap into place (and also came out the same in reverse). Don't feel bad it is real scarey for all of us that have cut into a virgin body, but it looks great when completed. I did the 2 hole cut so it can be done just be carefull not to enlarge into where the bolts go. Good Luck

#3 OFFLINE   SGT3477

SGT3477

Team Shelby New Member

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 271 posts
  • Joined 17-August 10

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

this is coming for me. i hope it goes well for you!

#4 OFFLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 11,546 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07
  • Interests:Shelby GT's (what else), Guitar, Camping in my RV, auto racing, autocross, car shows

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

Guys, I've posted some pics (link below) that will hopefully help you. I both cut my holes and smoothed them using a Dremel (and yes, Andy, I did cut between the holes because one of the instruction photos showed this). The duct plates do fit tightly, but they will go in w/ a little shove. At first try for me I thought "no way this will fit" - but then it did.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Edit - by the way, those hoses are a bear to get onto the duct plates!! But, you'll get it... persevere....

Don't use the duct measurement for cutting provided by the instructions. It will be too short. Measure from duct plate to caliper plate with the wheel turned to the max, making sure the duct will fit to your sway bar attach point, and the duct stretched so you will know the length needed. Get some help if needed (I struggled alone...).

Last tip - for me at least, the hoses were too loose in fitting on the caliper plates. So, I purchased an extra set of hose clamps. Then, I tightly placed one hose clamp on the caliper plate, then fitted the duct over that with another hose clamp to clamp the duct on. Tight fit now.

http://s225.beta.pho...uct Kit Install

Edited by ilmor, 17 December 2012 - 02:49 AM.

2007 Shelby GT CSM# 07SGT1917 - the "Garage Queen"

Performance White, Hurst 5-Speed, Premium Package

Shelby 4.6L Racing Valve Covers ,Shelby Turbo Mufflers, Shelby GT Brake Duct Kit, "S" snake faux gas cap, Carroll Shelby autographed dash, Improved Shelby GT hood scoop replaced by Tasca Mod Shop, Craig's Custom License Plate Bracket, Baer GT Rotors, Hawk HP Plus Pads, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Hi Temp Brake Fluid, J&M Street/Race Extreme Joint Lower Control Arms, J&M Double Adjustable Panhard Rod (Street/Race) ...

2013 Mustang GT Premium - the "Daily Driver"

Black / Black & Glass Roof, 6-Speed SelectShift, Sync, NAV, Interior Upgrade.....

#5 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,067 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:45 AM

Thank Ilmor!!!!

Those pictures help a bunch. I need to get atleast the front facia pieces installed tonight since I'm supposed to take it in to Injected Engineering tomorrow morning to get the JBA shorty headers and Steeda UDP & Motor mounts installed. I didn't want to send it out looking all hacked up in the front! As Wayne said...I sure get nervous cutting on virgin body panels.

I will have an extra step in the process since I have the Black Lower Grill installed on my SGT from a few years ago...I wanted to protect the lower radiator from rocks & bugs, etc. It looks like I will need to drill new mounting holes in the grill mounting piates to line up with the further-most inside holes on the brake duct facia. I think the metal is soft enough that I can drill right through using my Dremel once I set up some pilot holes. I'm going to see if I can get a few metal screws that are slightly longer today just in case the ones they supplied are not long enough to go through the center grill also...I don't want to have to run back out to the store when I'm half done.

If I have time, I'll get these pieces done and then the rotor backing plates installed. Then I tackle the hoses when it comes back from the shop.

Thanks Wayne & Ilmore....all this helps a ton!!!

Andy.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

1966 Mustang Convertible 289v2 - Red w/black top & interior (still in the family)
1973 Mustang Convertible 351W - Poppy Red w/black top & interior - MCA Senior Division Grand National Retired Winner
1989 Mustang Hatchback 5.0 w/5spd - 25th Anniversary - Red w/red & black interior

#6 OFFLINE   SGT3477

SGT3477

Team Shelby New Member

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 271 posts
  • Joined 17-August 10

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

Thank you for the photos!

#7 OFFLINE   AndyGJ

AndyGJ

SGT Owner

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,067 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

Thanks Wayne & Ilmor!!

I got the front facia pieces installed and secured by 2 of the 5 screws for now. I'll get the remaining 3 lower screws installed this weekend and finish off the entire project.

Any tips on how you guys got those lower holes drilled without messing up the paint on the lower part of the bumper?

Thanks again!! Don't know what I'd do without this forum!!

Andy.

Present Mustang:

Mods Installed:
FRPP GT500KR 18" Rims
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body

Shelby 4.6L Valve Covers

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link

Prior Mustangs:

#8 OFFLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 11,546 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07
  • Interests:Shelby GT's (what else), Guitar, Camping in my RV, auto racing, autocross, car shows

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

Well...I messed up my paint a little before I realized it...then, I put some painters tape on for protection and extended my drill bit as far as possible and drilled more carefully!

Think about it, if the drill bit would fit in the dremel, that might be a lot easier.

Shelby 4.6L Racing Valve Covers ,Shelby Turbo Mufflers, Shelby GT Brake Duct Kit, "S" snake faux gas cap, Carroll Shelby autographed dash, Improved Shelby GT hood scoop replaced by Tasca Mod Shop, Craig's Custom License Plate Bracket, Baer GT Rotors, Hawk HP Plus Pads, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Hi Temp Brake Fluid, J&M Street/Race Extreme Joint Lower Control Arms, J&M Double Adjustable Panhard Rod (Street/Race) ...

Black / Black & Glass Roof, 6-Speed SelectShift, Sync, NAV, Interior Upgrade.....

#9 OFFLINE   Wayne1948

Wayne1948

Team Shelby New Member

• Northeast Region
  • 420 posts
  • Joined 20-September 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I just used a longer drill bit

#10 OFFLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 11,546 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

I just used a longer drill bit

Yeah, I didn't feel like going to buy one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users