• Team Shelby State Director
  • 4,225 posts
  • Joined 14-September 07
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Anything, everything!
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

Interesting indeed....

Remember the other handfull of continuation 'verts built by Jay Brunk of Beverly Hills Mustang around 1980...
2012 Shelby Run Europe Participant
8 countries covering 3148 (s)miles

2008 GT500KR #552, Silver/Blue, fully optioned. CS signed visor, 2012 50th Anniversary Shelby Bash Car Show 'class' Award Winner

2009 GT500KR #551 Red/silver

2006 GT-H #368 (Phoenix Hertz)

1968 GT500KR, owned since 1991. 61k original mile car. * 85th Birthday Bash Car Show Award Winner * * SAAC-35 popular vote 1st. Place Award Winner *

2012 BOSS 302 #1212

2001 Bullitt, DHG #5195

Past important rides....to me anyways...

1965 Sunbeam Tiger MK1 (260 V-8)
1967 Mustang Fastback (289)
1968 Mustang Coupe (289, track car built to replicate Trans Am B-prod)
1969 Mustang conv. (302)
1965 Corvette conv. (327)
1970 Dodge RT Challenger (383 Magnum)
1975 Trans Am (400ci 4sp)
1979 Mustang Indy Pace car (5.0L)
1986 Corvette Indy Pace Car convertible
1989 Mustang LX 5.0L
2008 GT500 Ebony Convertible/Alloy stripe/black w/red seats (every option) #109 of 682 Ebony verts,
1 of 235 Ebony 'verts w/ red seat inserts, 1 of 309 with alloy side stripe.
* 2010 Shelby Bash Car Show Award Winner * Sold, Dec 29, 2010

2 SHO's, many Harleys......

Team Shelby Pacific Coast Region State Director
Team Shelby Member since Day One
Shelby American Automobile Club member since 1981
Norcal SAAC Member since 1985

Facebook page, Global Auto Source
"Placing unique cars with the unique people who seek them"
www.myclassiccars.net

#3 OFFLINE   shelbymotorsports

shelbymotorsports

SAI Registry Supervisor

• 6,673 posts
  • Joined 12-November 07
  • Region:Decline

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

What the seller fails to realize with his "story" is that in 1990 Carroll was under contract with Chrysler and in this contract was basically a no compete clause, meaning Carroll could not build cars for anyone other than Chrysler. So until this seller backs up his claims with paperwork.................

It would be interesting to see the California title for this Mustang as I would be shocked to see the VIN number read 6S2393

Steve

Register your Shelby at: Shelby American Registry

Order your SAI Registry Certificate at: Shelby Store

PM's turned OFF. Email me at: StevenT@ShelbyAmerican.com

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   66GT350PS

66GT350PS

Team Shelby Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Region:Other

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

This car has been recycled through repeat attempts at a good auction price and has had numerous stories over the years. When I saw it new after its completion decvades ago, it was very nicely done. But after trading hands and not getting a Shelby authentic VIN (Shelby American was not a factory then, only on paper in a file in Gardena, CA), it remains a very nice clone with a nice thread of contoversy. It keeps popping up for sale because after to extensive research, potential buyers do not seem to want to meet the sellers price.

#5 OFFLINE   mikeljgt500kr

mikeljgt500kr

Team Shelby Member

• Mountain Region
  • 850 posts
  • Joined 16-September 12
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Shelbys and Corvettes
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

BTW, word is this was an original "T" code car, I think that pretty well nails down its' coffin of hype.
Sheryl,  2013 GT350 #68

#6 OFFLINE   springer

springer

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

There is a Shelby VIN plate on the car, with a Shelby VIN number. What's up with that if it is not genuine? Did someone counterfeit the plate and number - which is a federal offense and a state offense?
If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play!
Shelby Baer Extreme brakes, CS 69 wheels
Shelby installed Revan heat exchanger
Shelby installed Diablo Predator tune

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   shelbymotorsports

shelbymotorsports

SAI Registry Supervisor

• 6,673 posts
  • Joined 12-November 07

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

There is a Shelby VIN plate on the car, with a Shelby VIN number. What's up with that if it is not genuine? Did someone counterfeit the plate and number - which is a federal offense and a state offense?

Reproduction plate.

Steve

Register your Shelby at: Shelby American Registry

Order your SAI Registry Certificate at: Shelby Store

PM's turned OFF. Email me at: StevenT@ShelbyAmerican.com

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   66GT350PS

66GT350PS

Team Shelby Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

Yup, was supposed to be the SA continuation VIN under an agreement, but that agreement was either rescinded or never finalized, nor ever recognized. it is a phantom VIN. Therefore the only legal VIN is the Ford Mustang VIN. The Shelby plate should haveb been removed but never was, hence the continuing controversy. This car and its history have been discussed many times. The vehicle is not recognized in any Shelby Registry, much to the displeasure of the owner(s). While it was featured in Mustang and Fords Magazine, by the time the magazine came out months later, the "agreement" was no longer in place. This is why the red Mustang keeps coming up for auction periodically. Someone did not do their research and paid a hefty premium and is now finding all is not well.

#9 OFFLINE   TAPD117

TAPD117

GLENN (GG)

• Southern Plains Region
  • 1,198 posts
  • Joined 28-November 06
  • Region:Southern Plains
  • Interests:I dig Mustangs & Shelbys. How about them Cowboys!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

nice looking car with a great story, kind of interesting to see the man sign it and have his pic made with it. GG
TAPD117 (My friends call me GG)

2008 Shelby GT/BJ Barrett Jackson Limited Edition Premium Convertible
Arizona Only Dealers Option Black With Red Stripes - 08SGT2290

1 of 100 SGT/BJ Limited Edition Mustangs (61 Coupes-39 Convertibles)
1 of 39 SGT/BJ Convertibles
1 of 11 SGT/BJ Convertible Automatics
1 of 5 SGT/BJ Convertible Automatics with Shaker 1000

Arkansas License Plate: SGT-BJ
SAI Transaction Notes & Results for 08SGT2290
AAI Build Date 11/26/2007
Dispatched for Shipping (Shipment NO. 2787) 01/31/2008
Marked as SHIPPED from Las Vegas SAI 02/06/2008
New Vehicle Purchase Date 08/25/2009

HID/IUP/AMB/ANTI-THEFT/SAT/6-Way Seat/Leather Interior/Barrett Jackson Headrest & Console Covers
CDC Sequential Tail Lights/Shaker 1000-Rather have NAV/Shelby Billet Engine Cap Set

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield, here is the wisdom of life"

#10 OFFLINE   H0050

H0050

H0050

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 4,393 posts
  • Joined 28-September 07
  • Interests:Cars, wakeboarding, fishing & family
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

For the right price, would be cool to have. Just not the premium price.
Harald #50

CSM 06H0050: Registered as a Shelby GT-H/SC
Black CS 69 w/ 255/45/18 & 285/40/18 BFG G-Force KDW
Lower Billet Grill
Air Bag Signed by Carroll Shelby, Amy Boylan, Gary Davis, Gary Patterson & Cleo Shelby
40th Anniversary Signature Floor Mats w/ Gold Stripes
Shelby GT Plus & Eradispeed 14" brakes & S/S brake lines
Sequential Tail lights
GTH Billet Fluid Caps
SAI installed polished Paxton SC # 0066 w/ GT 500 fuel pump
GT-H/SC side stripes
Shelby gauges & gauge pod
424RWHP 367 Torque
KR rear end expansion tank
2009 Shelby Bash top 20 winner
2011 Bash In & Out cruise recognition plaque
Painted over the top stripes
Terlingua Deep Draw Hood
2014 Vegas Bash Show & Shine Class Winner

The race is run, the flag unfurled, the champion now will rest.
God speed, Carroll Shelby, we will never forget you.
CARROLL H SHELBY

Jan. 11, 1923 May 10, 2012

http://i414.photobuc...8/06h50/030.jpg
http://i414.photobuc...8/06h50/035.jpg
http://i414.photobuc...8/06h50/037.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   66GT350PS

66GT350PS

Team Shelby Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

Simply, it is a nice Shelby GT350 convertible clone that is well done. It's value would be more than a standard 1966 Mustang GT convertible, but way less that a real Shelby GT convertible. It's contriversial history makes it a bit more valuable as does its magazine appearance. Somewhere in the middle is a the correct value.

#12 OFFLINE   39Mustang

39Mustang

Team Shelby Member

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 1,407 posts
  • Joined 19-November 05
  • Interests:Mustangs, Broncos, Dogs, Sports, Diecast, Traveling, Disney World (grew up in FL its the law!), Hawaii,
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Here you go, what an interesting "story":

http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_1124wt_1064

friend of mine Sam P. used to own one of the original GT350 Conv.'s but who knew then how rare it really was or I might have bought it off him! He had my ultimate car a 67 GT500 in Highland Green w/ inboards and wanted $32k and keep in mine this was 1992. You bet your ass I regret not buying it everyday
1968 Mustang Fastback Restomod - in process of building
1970 Mustang Convertible 351C 4v Shaker - For Sale
1973 Mach 1 (Father's - original owner) - Restomod
1973 Mustang Convertible Q-code 351CJ Ram-Air
1992 SAAC MKI (Griggs GR40 equipped) - Up FOR SALE Ultra Rare! $45,000
2006 Mustang GT Legend Lime - FOR SALE $19,900 (loaded with goodies)
2008 Shelby GT/SC (Griggs equipped)
2013 Shelby GT350 Convertible

maybe a 2014 Raptor now

#13 OFFLINE   Cali_KR

Cali_KR

King of the Road

• Team Shelby State Director
  • 4,225 posts
  • Joined 14-September 07
  • Interests:Anything, everything!
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

These are pix I took back in the early 80's of one of the 12 continuation cars built by Beverly Hills Mustang.

This was at a Ford car show in Burnaby British Columbia

Check out the Paxton blower...

Posted Image
2012 Shelby Run Europe Participant
8 countries covering 3148 (s)miles

2008 GT500KR #552, Silver/Blue, fully optioned. CS signed visor, 2012 50th Anniversary Shelby Bash Car Show 'class' Award Winner

2009 GT500KR #551 Red/silver

2006 GT-H #368 (Phoenix Hertz)

1968 GT500KR, owned since 1991. 61k original mile car. * 85th Birthday Bash Car Show Award Winner * * SAAC-35 popular vote 1st. Place Award Winner *

2012 BOSS 302 #1212

2001 Bullitt, DHG #5195

Past important rides....to me anyways...

1965 Sunbeam Tiger MK1 (260 V-8)
1967 Mustang Fastback (289)
1968 Mustang Coupe (289, track car built to replicate Trans Am B-prod)
1969 Mustang conv. (302)
1965 Corvette conv. (327)
1970 Dodge RT Challenger (383 Magnum)
1975 Trans Am (400ci 4sp)
1979 Mustang Indy Pace car (5.0L)
1986 Corvette Indy Pace Car convertible
1989 Mustang LX 5.0L
2008 GT500 Ebony Convertible/Alloy stripe/black w/red seats (every option) #109 of 682 Ebony verts,
1 of 235 Ebony 'verts w/ red seat inserts, 1 of 309 with alloy side stripe.
* 2010 Shelby Bash Car Show Award Winner * Sold, Dec 29, 2010

2 SHO's, many Harleys......

Team Shelby Pacific Coast Region State Director
Team Shelby Member since Day One
Shelby American Automobile Club member since 1981
Norcal SAAC Member since 1985

Facebook page, Global Auto Source
"Placing unique cars with the unique people who seek them"
www.myclassiccars.net

#14 OFFLINE   shelbyeuropa

shelbyeuropa

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 03-May 12
  • Interests:All Special Vehicles especially Shelby's and Cobra's

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Can someone explain what is the difference between the Continuation Shelby's, Unique Performance, Classic Recreation? Why did Unique Performance was charged with VIN irregularities but others used the SAI plate and Numbers?

#15 OFFLINE   66GT350PS

66GT350PS

Team Shelby Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Unique Performance removed original VIN stampings on salvge vehicles and/ot transfered numbers. That is fraud and that is why the Texas police shut them down. The Beverly Hills Motors 1966 continuation convertibles were done under direct contract with Shelby American, which at the time still had an MSO standing from the 1960s operation. The VIN of Shelby 1965-66 vehicles were Shelby numbers, not Ford Mustang numbers. In later years when Shelby American A no longer had a license of manufacture, cars were then given a Shelby contract approval for recreation and Shelby CSM number, but the VIN is still the Ford VIN, not a Shelby American VIN at this point. Without the contract license, the cars were not Shelby "continuation" cars authorized by Shelby Licensing. The central issue is what was made by Shelby American (the original factory) and what was later to be authorized by Shelby Licensing when Shelby American, Inc. no longer had a vehicle manufacturing license.

#16 OFFLINE   shelbyeuropa

shelbyeuropa

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 03-May 12

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Unique Performance removed original VIN stampings on salvge vehicles and/ot transfered numbers. That is fraud and that is why the Texas police shut them down. The Beverly Hills Motors 1966 continuation convertibles were done under direct contract with Shelby American, which at the time still had an MSO standing from the 1960s operation. The VIN of Shelby 1965-66 vehicles were Shelby numbers, not Ford Mustang numbers. In later years when Shelby American A no longer had a license of manufacture, cars were then given a Shelby contract approval for recreation and Shelby CSM number, but the VIN is still the Ford VIN, not a Shelby American VIN at this point. Without the contract license, the cars were not Shelby "continuation" cars authorized by Shelby Licensing. The central issue is what was made by Shelby American (the original factory) and what was later to be authorized by Shelby Licensing when Shelby American, Inc. no longer had a vehicle manufacturing license.

Well I get what happen to Unique Performance but I didn't know about the Beverly Hill Motors continuation Shelby's that SAI still had MSO in the 80's. Would make sense since SAI was producing Chrysler product in the 80' to early 90's. So are you saying that other continuation vehicles had a SAI # but was register under the FORD Vin #?

#17 OFFLINE   66GT350PS

66GT350PS

Team Shelby Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

It would be great to have someone like John Luft or other SAI employee explain all this in an upcoming TS Magazine newsletter as I expect it requires much more detail on the history of Shelby American, Shelby Autos, Shelby American, Inc. and Shelby Licensing. There is a difference in the Carroll Shelby network of companies as to authority and responsibilies as to what has been carried out with regards to Shelby named and Shelby produced vehicles. The original Shelby American factory in CA had its own manufacturing license (MSO) like Ford, Chrysler, AMC, Dodge, etc. allowing it to issue its own Federal Vehicle Identification Number (saying VIN number is redundant). That is why the original Cobra roadsters and Shelby Mustangs are registered with a Shelby VIN, not a Ford VIN.

It carried on after the CA shops closed, though there is a "bridge" as cars were assembled elsewhere under license and were issued both Ford and Shelby VINs. Under Shelby American and then Shelby Autos (both also called SA), the factory in Las Vegas returned to MSO status when the Series I was produced. The early roller continuation Cobra roadsters had a Shelby American tag, then a Shelby Autos tag, then a Shelby American, Inc. tag. Most of the first continuation Cobras were able to be registered under the Shelby American number as the shop had a Manufacturers license, though it was actually limited to the Series 1 and not the roller Cobra cars. But that was rarely caught by State DMVs.

When the MSO was lost during the Ventures litigation and Series 1 production stopped, all cars were given a CSM production number, which is not a VIN. The VIN for DMV registration is the Ford VIN. Similarly, cars upgraded under Shelby Licensing are given the authorized CSM number. Most Cobras roadsters have to go through a special process by each State where the DMV may recognize the car as a 1965 continuation vehicle and use the CSM as the VIN or give it a new State VIN. It depends what each state allows.

This may be a bit of a round about explanation, so I hope a historically knowledgeble Shelby American spokesperson can do a full explanation sometime.

#18 OFFLINE   shelbyeuropa

shelbyeuropa

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 03-May 12

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

It would be great to have someone like John Luft or other SAI employee explain all this in an upcoming TS Magazine newsletter as I expect it requires much more detail on the history of Shelby American, Shelby Autos, Shelby American, Inc. and Shelby Licensing. There is a difference in the Carroll Shelby network of companies as to authority and responsibilies as to what has been carried out with regards to Shelby named and Shelby produced vehicles. The original Shelby American factory in CA had its own manufacturing license (MSO) like Ford, Chrysler, AMC, Dodge, etc. allowing it to issue its own Federal Vehicle Identification Number (saying VIN number is redundant). That is why the original Cobra roadsters and Shelby Mustangs are registered with a Shelby VIN, not a Ford VIN.

It carried on after the CA shops closed, though there is a "bridge" as cars were assembled elsewhere under license and were issued both Ford and Shelby VINs. Under Shelby American and then Shelby Autos (both also called SA), the factory in Las Vegas returned to MSO status when the Series I was produced. The early roller continuation Cobra roadsters had a Shelby American tag, then a Shelby Autos tag, then a Shelby American, Inc. tag. Most of the first continuation Cobras were able to be registered under the Shelby American number as the shop had a Manufacturers license, though it was actually limited to the Series 1 and not the roller Cobra cars. But that was rarely caught by State DMVs.

When the MSO was lost during the Ventures litigation and Series 1 production stopped, all cars were given a CSM production number, which is not a VIN. The VIN for DMV registration is the Ford VIN. Similarly, cars upgraded under Shelby Licensing are given the authorized CSM number. Most Cobras roadsters have to go through a special process by each State where the DMV may recognize the car as a 1965 continuation vehicle and use the CSM as the VIN or give it a new State VIN. It depends what each state allows.

This may be a bit of a round about explanation, so I hope a historically knowledgeble Shelby American spokesperson can do a full explanation sometime.

Wow, Thanks for the info hope other might comment and/or add more history to what you've written.

#19 OFFLINE   mikeljgt500kr

mikeljgt500kr

Team Shelby Member

• Mountain Region
  • 850 posts
  • Joined 16-September 12
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Shelbys and Corvettes
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Wow, Thanks for the info hope other might comment and/or add more history to what you've written.

I agree, I think Ford has had a hand in trying to bring Shelby down during many of those episodes....
Sheryl,  2013 GT350 #68

#20 OFFLINE   pmustang

pmustang

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 237 posts
  • Joined 06-April 10

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

No details as to the build or components used and they want 80k? Looks a nice car but photos and info sell a car.

#21 OFFLINE   richstang

richstang

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Joined 11-December 10
  • Interests:The usual; Mustangs, Shelbys, Cobras, Ford GTs, and yes even Cougars.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I'd say "66GT350PS" had summed up the story of this car and related info very well.

This car will always be a conversation piece. I doubt it will ever be considered as a second generation continuation Shelby, even though that was it's intended purpose. It is more than an ordinary clone but far less than a Beverly Hills continuation car without legal documentation to say otherwise. With all the controversy around the Shelby VIN number vs Ford VIN, I would never touch this car for any price. If I were someone who wanted a '66 Shelby vert but couldn't afford the 1 of 4 originals, or the 1 of 12 continuations, I would build my own clone for far less than this car and have my choice of colors, options, etc.
$80k in this market is just not a reasonable expectation for what it is or is not. (my 2 cents)

#22 OFFLINE   Helix

Helix

Lincoln Cobra

• Great Lakes Region
  • 766 posts
  • Joined 27-July 11
  • Region:Great Lakes

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Move that decimal and we are talking. $8,000 ;)

rbbbj6.jpgzuscip.jpg

2003 Mustang
1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC

#23 OFFLINE   EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

• Southern Plains Region
  • 3,107 posts
  • Joined 15-March 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Are the Autograph's legitament? Specifically the SFM#? The number on the dash looks a little feminine for the Old Man...

Edited by EL SHELBY, 16 January 2013 - 03:24 PM.

08SGT0343
Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   66GT350PS

66GT350PS

Team Shelby Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

I would specualte that the signatures are real. At the time that they were done, CS did have an authorization deal with the maker, but that was pulled, if you read the full story. So the Shelby number is not authorized or valid. That makes the car a very nice reproduction, not a Shelby American continuation vehicle.

#25 OFFLINE   EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

• Southern Plains Region
  • 3,107 posts
  • Joined 15-March 09

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

I would specualte that the signatures are real. At the time that they were done, CS did have an authorization deal with the maker, but that was pulled, if you read the full story. So the Shelby number is not authorized or valid. That makes the car a very nice reproduction, not a Shelby American continuation vehicle.

My point was that it appears the SFM# was added to the signature which could mislead someone that Shelby himself wrote down the number.
08SGT0343
Posted Image

#26 OFFLINE   Grumpy

Grumpy

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 06-August 05

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I could live with the car. To bad they don't go into detail whats in it. $30/$35k ??? B) The originals or continuation ones don't come up for sale very often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users