Ezio

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 07-November 12
  • Region:Great Lakes

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

I am looking into getting a new performance car. I am no “noob” to high powered cars either. I have been looking into the 2013-2014 500 for some time now. Almost in Every review they talk about the gt500 being kind of a handful to drive. I have owned and driven cars that had power, but they had the tires and suspension to match. That’s where I feel the ZL1 does a way better job. But the power of the gt500 is a lot to turn down from factory.
I know I should take a test drive, but the problem is I live in Michigan where temps right now pretty cold. I do not want to wait tell it gets hot again either.
PEOPLE level with me here! Are the online reviews kind of exaggerated when talking about the traction/stability ?

thank for any feedback.

#2 OFFLINE   440sprint

440sprint

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 29-August 12
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:technology, muscle cars

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

I replace the OE GY tires with Michelin PSS tires and 90% of my traction/stability problems went away! The excessive torque/hp became intoxicating! Miles of smiles now.

#3 OFFLINE   03reptile

03reptile

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 450 posts
  • Joined 04-June 07

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:21 AM

What he said (440Sprint). Stock Goodyears seem to be the issue. They need a lot of heat & warm ambient tempratures to perform well. Many have gone to the Michelin Pilot Sport, summer only tire, and are quite pleased. I drive during clear dry winter days and bought a set of all season tires. Someone posted that Michelin is coming out, in April or so, with an up-dated MPS, all season tire, that matches the stock rears on the 2013 (285/35/20). Previously, Michelin's PS all season tires only came in a 275/35/20 configuration. Although the Camaro does have an advantage on a road course, it is no match for the Shelby in torque & power. I too have driven high horsepower cars for many years & my 2013 is as tractable a car as I've ever driven. On a road course event it may be more tail-happy then the Camaro, due mostly to the live rear axle. In real life, everyday driving, it is very easy to push to the limit in a corner without fear of ending up in the marbles. Your fears are unfounded. Get one quick. I think we've seen the last of the 5.8 662HP engine, after the 2014 MY expires. These cars are the benchmark for Mustang, hands down.

Edited by 03reptile, 10 February 2013 - 05:26 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   1 Alibi 2

1 Alibi 2

" Chance favors the prepared mind "

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Joined 05-August 10
  • Region:Northeast

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:44 AM

The tires are a weak point, easy to fix. If you do road courses, you may want to upgrade the brakes......It is the most fun you'll have for the $$$$$.

i99y.jpg
.......2011 - lightly modded to 756 rwhp
.......2014 - detuned to 780 rwhp

#5 OFFLINE   Rev Dennis

Rev Dennis

Team Shelby Member NorthEast Region

• Northeast Region
  • 722 posts
  • Joined 21-August 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

The top Camaro has IRS but still an OHV engine?" What? No more bow ties for me.
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
Will Rogers

#6 ONLINE   EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

EL SHELBY

• Southern Plains Region
  • 3,187 posts
  • Joined 15-March 09
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

If all you are after is a high powered car that is easy to drive (read as manageable power) than the ZL1 is probabily your best option. But, if appearance, interior options, visibility, ect. are also important than the GT500 is the better choice. The GT500 does require more skill from the driver than the ZL1 to perform well at its limits, but the few faults of the GT500 are easily corrected through the aftermarket. There is absolutly nothing that can be done to improve Camero's visibility issues short of going with a drop top and always driving with the top down.

Edited by EL SHELBY, 10 February 2013 - 07:01 AM.

08SGT0343 Fueled with CS branded pixie dust ground from the asphault of the Mausaon Straight and defeated Ferrari's.
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Gaspassing

Gaspassing

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 07-February 13
  • Region:Other

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

So let me say first I drove a bunch of cars until I settled on the Shelby that I bought last week. C63, Z06, M3, CTS-V, M5 and a ZL1. I was driving a 300HP base model Camaro while I was waiting for insurance to total out my truck. I also drove the V6 mustang for a week. The point was to test ergonomics for the Hero cars. I thought that the Camaro in most respects was a better car. Better interior, engine noise, handling, ride...etc. However, the site lines in the Camaro are terrible. So bad in fact I hit several curbs parking with the front end. I wouldn't buy a Camaro without a backup camera. Lane changes are a little sketchy in traffic due to this fact. Great car that fells nice and somehow feels smaller than it actually is.

I was nervous to drive the Shelby because of the reviews. I bought it would be pretty squirrelly. I so far have only done an extended test drive because i am waiting for delivery of my new car. I was pleasantly surprised with the ride of the car. It was stiff but not punishing. Certainly not as nice as the Camaro with its IRS and magnetic shocks, but it was better than I expected. The car was very tractable with traction control on. The TC didn't spoil the party like some do, and the car stayed true with a bit of butt wiggle when the tires would let go but nothing scary. The handling in corners felt fine. Not as confidence inspiring as the Z0, but I was pushing harder and harder without too much drama. The Shelby drew a crowd. Was easier to see out of and the acceleration was similar to the Z06 and was a rush. It felt waaaay faster than the Camaro ZL1. Maybe that's because the Camaro is so well planted. Or maybe HP helps.

If you can wait try to drive the, both. If you can't wait the try to rent a new mustang for a few days then trade it in on a Camaro for a few days to check out the Ergonomics. Enterprise did this for me with a smile on their face.

#8 OFFLINE   Squirrel 007

Squirrel 007

Ford Retiree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 168 posts
  • Joined 04-September 12

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

I am looking into getting a new performance car. I am no “noob” to high powered cars either. I have been looking into the 2013-2014 500 for some time now. Almost in Every review they talk about the gt500 being kind of a handful to drive. I have owned and driven cars that had power, but they had the tires and suspension to match. That’s where I feel the ZL1 does a way better job. But the power of the gt500 is a lot to turn down from factory.
I know I should take a test drive, but the problem is I live in Michigan where temps right now pretty cold. I do not want to wait tell it gets hot again either.
PEOPLE level with me here! Are the online reviews kind of exaggerated when talking about the traction/stability ?

thank for any feedback.

I also live in Michigan (Shelby Township) and my Shelby has been sitting in the garage since the dealer delivered it to my house November 3rd. I know I had traction problems with my Saleen Extreme (425 HP) with Pirelli P Zeros on it. I put a set of Nitto Drag Radials on it and my problems dissapeared. But I never took the car out on anything but perfect days. Looks like I might make it back from Afghanistan in April of 2014 and will be able to take the Shelby out then. If I have a traction problem I will go right to the drag radials. Anyways at least my wife sent me a picture of the Saleen and Shelby sitting together in the garage. I can dream about the day when I can hear that engine rumble. By the way, where do you live in Michigan?

Edited by Squirrel 007, 10 February 2013 - 09:22 AM.

1997 "Eddie Bauer" Explorer 4X4: White

2002 Saleen Extreme Coupe #59: (1 of 56) Mineral Grey

2003 "James Bond" T-Bird (1 of 700): Hard Top + Convertible Top. Coral with White (Hard Top) Black (Soft Top)

2005 Ranger Pick-up 4X4: Extended Cab, Black

2013 Sheby Gt500 Coupe: Black W/White Stripes, (SVTPP, Track Pack, Recaro's, Electronics Pack, Shaker Pro, Car Cover, Louvers & Scoops)

#9 OFFLINE   Ezio

Ezio

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 07-November 12

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I am looking for a fun DD. Not going to track, might hit the drag maybe once a year. I would be annoyed if I couldn’t enjoy driving a car that’s a hassle to keep in a straight line. Pretty sure I am going to switch to some Michelin Pilot Sport right off the bat though if I find the OEM setup annoying. I have used them before.

squirrel- i like in Rochester hills, not far away from you.

#10 OFFLINE   03reptile

03reptile

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 450 posts
  • Joined 04-June 07

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I am looking for a fun DD. Not going to track, might hit the drag maybe once a year. I would be annoyed if I couldn’t enjoy driving a car that’s a hassle to keep in a straight line. Pretty sure I am going to switch to some Michelin Pilot Sport right off the bat though if I find the OEM setup annoying. I have used them before.

Sounds like you made the right choice. You will enjoy the Shelby because as you so accurately opined, its hard to enjoy a performance car that isn't somewhat of a hassle to keep in a straight line. The adoration of others is worth the price of the ticket, alone! Since you live up north and might drive it during the winter when its feasable to do so, I'd suggest you wait till that new Michelin Pilot Sport all season tire becomes available.

Edited by 03reptile, 11 February 2013 - 07:31 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Squirrel 007

Squirrel 007

Ford Retiree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 168 posts
  • Joined 04-September 12

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I bet it would be great to take the Shelby to the Woodward Dream Cruise. I have missed the last four of them as I have either been in Iraq or Afghanistan for them. Hope you get your GT500 soon. About 3 more months to go and you will have great driving weather back there. :peelout:

Edited by Squirrel 007, 11 February 2013 - 09:47 AM.

1997 "Eddie Bauer" Explorer 4X4: White

2002 Saleen Extreme Coupe #59: (1 of 56) Mineral Grey

2003 "James Bond" T-Bird (1 of 700): Hard Top + Convertible Top. Coral with White (Hard Top) Black (Soft Top)

2005 Ranger Pick-up 4X4: Extended Cab, Black

2013 Sheby Gt500 Coupe: Black W/White Stripes, (SVTPP, Track Pack, Recaro's, Electronics Pack, Shaker Pro, Car Cover, Louvers & Scoops)

#12 OFFLINE   Ezio

Ezio

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 07-November 12

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

Sounds like you made the right choice. You will enjoy the Shelby because as you so accurately opined, its hard to enjoy a performance car that isn't somewhat of a hassle to keep in a straight line. The adoration of others is worth the price of the ticket, alone! Since you live up north and might drive it during the winter when its feasable to do so, I'd suggest you wait till that new Michelin Pilot Sport all season tire becomes available.

I am not sure I would trust A all season tire as much as a summer tire only in warm months, than switch to a winter tire when it gets colder/ light snow. Although thanks for the info, I will look into that tire.

#13 OFFLINE   Ezio

Ezio

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 07-November 12

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

I bet it would be great to take the Shelby to the Woodward Dream Cruise. I have missed the last four of them as I have either been in Iraq or Afghanistan for them. Hope you get your GT500 soon. About 3 more months to go and you will have great driving weather back there. :peelout:

I find the months/weeks before dream cruise to be more enjoyable on Woodward. Still a lot of cars but room to give it some gas if that makes sense. I plan to have the car fairly soon as I am heading to the dealership this Friday when my time permits.

#14 OFFLINE   03reptile

03reptile

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 450 posts
  • Joined 04-June 07

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

I am not sure I would trust A all season tire as much as a summer tire only in warm months, than switch to a winter tire when it gets colder/ light snow. Although thanks for the info, I will look into that tire.

Ezio, I've had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's on my 2007 and drove them year round. Still found that they hooked up better than the stock Goodyears during the hottest of summer days. I don't think you'll be able to discern that much difference, and you won't have to change tires in the late fall. I bought my Toyo Proxis 4 Plus'es,( all season tires) in early August last year, so had some time with them in very hot weather. Again they were better than the Stock tires. Hope you get your car soon!

Edited by 03reptile, 11 February 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   svt13

svt13

Team Shelby Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • Joined 24-April 12

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

I DD my car all year round. Use pirelli winter tires for the snow and michelin PSS summer only tire for the summer. And yes the stability is HIGHLY EXAGGERATED. I think most people want to think they are wrestling with a dragon or something every day they get in this car. Its a 2013 car it is fine and won't kill you. I even did crazy crap with it on the goodyears at 35 degrees before I switched to winter tires. Just don't floor it making sharp turns otherwise you'll do a 360. Other than that have fun with it.
2013 shelby gt500 black w/black stripe SVTPP,Recaros,Electronics Package,Glass roof,car cover.

Mods:
35% window tint

nav-tv rear view camera
Red line hood struts
Front splitter curb alert system
Super snake carbon fiber splitter
APR Performance carbon fiber mirror assembly
JLT CF resonator delete w/blue airaid Filter
Shelby transmission cooler scoope
BMR UCA with Mount, BMR adjustable panhard bar
Bob's billet LCA and bob's oil separator
FRPP springs
HRE p40 w/Michelin Super sport tires

Future mods going on the car soon: Shelby floor and trunk mat, custom made EPCO shifter knob

Mods undecided about:
Boss x brace, MGW shifter, Boss side exhaust, Corsa black diamond axleback, Lithium battery

#16 OFFLINE   Ezio

Ezio

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 07-November 12

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

I DD my car all year round. Use pirelli winter tires for the snow and michelin PSS summer only tire for the summer. And yes the stability is HIGHLY EXAGGERATED. I think most people want to think they are wrestling with a dragon or something every day they get in this car. Its a 2013 car it is fine and won't kill you. I even did crazy crap with it on the goodyears at 35 degrees before I switched to winter tires. Just don't floor it making sharp turns otherwise you'll do a 360. Other than that have fun with it.

This is what i wanna hear man! thanks

#17 OFFLINE   Pete Grimaldi

Pete Grimaldi

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Joined 06-February 13
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

This is what i wanna hear man! thanks

I'm looking to get a 2014 GT500. I should hear sometime this week from the dealer. I currently drive my 2012 Brembo GT everyday here in New England. I'm on Mustang number seven. I drove my 2003 GT for seven years everyday, using a winter tire/wheel setup when needed. My 2012 with the Pirelli P Zeros on it is almost useless on dry roads under 40 degrees. When they say summer tires, they mean it!

I purchased a set of Continental DWS 245/40/19s with the black Track Pack wheels for the winter fot the 2012. They are working out fine. My commute to work isn't too far, and if there is too much snow like last weekend here, nobody should be driving in it anyway.

If and when the 2014 appears, I will probably go with the Continental DWS 275/40/19s with the Boss 302S 19X9s on all four corners for colder weather. If I really have to drive in poor weather, I'll take my wife's 2012 Focus. I really don't want another car in the driveway.

Pete
2014 GT500 Black/Black, SVTPP, SVTTP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users