bigb1975

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Joined 14-August 06
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Cars, Skiing, College Football, Baseball

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Looking to spice up my '09 GT500. I went to a local Ford dealership (with a good reputation modding GT500s) to have them help put together a package. Below is the email I got back. Prices are higher than I thought, but I've only really researched the wheels. They quote $385 a piece but based on my own research the fronts are about $300 and the rears $330. Makes me wonder about the rest. Especially the lowering springs. If I look them up I see $284. How do they get to $775+? Am I missing something or should I run away from these guys? When I asked about the wheels originally, he said I might need a new pan hard bar to get wider tires (I asked if we could do 305s in the back). He seems to be backing off that now. Here is the email I got:

"Shelby CS40 Wheel 20x9 and 20x10 $1536.00
Nitto 555 tires $1175.00
Lowering using Ford Racing springs $775.00 with new 4 wheel alignment.
Side scoops $425.00 painted and installed
Window louvers $425.00 painted and installed
Level 3 Detail $560.00

This is our top of the line detail. When your car gets here if we do not need to go this far we can re-evaluate.

Total $4896.00

This will certainly be a complete change to your vehicle and with the detail it would be like giving you a brand new car when we are done with it. I would need to get a deposit of 50% to start ordering everything. Once it is all here I would need your car for about two days to complete all the work. I have attached a CC authorization form if you would like to make a deposit thus saving a trip down here. Regarding the pan hard bar we can get you one but depending on how you drive the vehicle it might not be something you need."
"I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg

2009 GT 500 - Performance White
2008 Ducati 1098s - Ducati Red
2007 Buell Lightning XB12ss - Black

#2 OFFLINE   aonebadbone

aonebadbone

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Joined 19-December 06

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:44 AM

I would never allow a dealership to detail any of my cars. Take it to a detail shop. Thats what they are probably doing and they are marking his price. You can call some speed shop in your area and find out how much to install susspension parts. Dealers tend to be a lot higher in prices. So much for conpetitive pricing. LOL

#3 OFFLINE   FIAMike

FIAMike

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 02-February 08

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

bigb 1975,

I appears as if the price quoted is the installed price, which includes labor. Kinda hard to compare retail price of a part to the insatlled price. Might want to have the dealer breakdown his quote with part price and labor cost to install.

FIA Mike

#4 OFFLINE   JT93

JT93

07SGT5059

• Great Lakes Region
  • 582 posts
  • Joined 26-January 10
  • Region:Great Lakes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

If you think the quote is a little high buy the parts yourself and just have the ford dealer give you a quote for the labor. I would never let a dealer detail my car, they like to cut corners on areas they don't think you'll look at (inside of the wheels, wheel wells, hard to reach parts inside the engine compartment).

mw2paq.jpg

Whatever the competition comes out with, we'll kick the hell out of 'em. - Carroll Shelby

Carroll Shelby Signed Airbag Cover
Great Lakes Region Windshield Banner
Sequential Tail Lights

Boss 302 Rear Seat Delete
Corbeau TRS Seats
Corbeau Racing Harnesses
Shelby Harness Bar
Shelby Harness Pads
SVT Rims for the track
Boss 302 Rims for the street
FRPP Hot Rod Cams
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body
FRPP Intake Manifold
FRPP Black Cam Covers

FRPP 3.73:1 Gearset

FR500S Differential

FRPP Hubs w/ ARP Studs
Brembo Brake Upgrade
FRPP Brake Cooling Kit

Shaftmasters Driveshaft
Dynatech Long Tubes w/ High Flow Cats
MRT Muffler Delete

Tow Hook with Custom Bracket
Tuned by Paul's High Performance

#5 OFFLINE   2010KonaBlueGT

2010KonaBlueGT

There's room at the top. Space is limited...RSVP!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Anything Fast - Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Planes, Women, etc. Building Hi-Po engines. Sailing, Riding Motorcycles (dirt & street), Racing - Motorcycles & Cars, Bowling & Drinking Beer!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

If you think the quote is a little high buy the parts yourself and just have the ford dealer give you a quote for the labor.

Would you buy a steak then take it into a restaurant and have them cook it...and expect a reduced price because you provided the steak?

Same thing. Many dealerships won't install customer provided parts. There's also a issue of warranty. How do *I* warranty *your* part?

Phill

2010 GT500 Coupe
Kona Blue w/White OTT Stripes and Red Accent Stripes
Electronics Package, HID's & Car Cover

CURRENT MODS: FRPP: Whipple 2.9L Polished Superchager w/Crusher Inlet & Cobra Jet Dual 65mm Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers - Ford GT Blue Cam Covers - Polished Billet COP & Oil Filler Cap Covers - FR3 Handling Pack w/Tokico Struts/Shocks & Eibach Swaybars - Jounce Bumpers - 8.8" Low Profile Axle Girdle - 3" Front Brake Cooling Ducts - Vacuum/Boost Gauge~ MGW: Short Throw Shifter - White w/Blue Stripes Shifter Knob - Radiator and Intercooler Degas Bottle Caps - Seat Recliner Lever Covers - Parking Brake Handle Cover - Coat Hanger Hooks~ PST: 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft~ Revan Racing: C&R Radiator and Intercooler~ ROUSH: 3x Intercooler Degas Bottle - Side Splitters - Extreme Off-road Exhaust - Adjustable Trailing Arms (LCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link (UCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link Bracket - AC Vent Pod Vac/Boost Gauge Mount~ SHELBY: SC Aux. Idler Pulley - Oil Dipstick Handle, MC, PS & WS Washer Reservoir Caps - 8-qt. Oil Pan - Tubular K-Member Subframe - Tubular A-arms - CS S1000 Billet Aluminum Transmission Crossmember - Seat Harness Bar - 6S Extreme Rear Brakes - 6S Extreme Front Brakes - GT500KR Front Brake Cooling Duct Bezels - Anti Bump-stear Tie-rod Ends - Race Style Swaybar Links - Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates - Adjustable Panhard Bar - Panhard Bar/Body Brace - GT500KR Rear Axle Reservoir - Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets -18" GT500KR Alcoa Dura-Bright Wheels & Goodyear GT500KR Winged Boot F1 Supercar Tires~ Raptor Shift Light

PURCHASED AND AWAITING INSTALLATION: Shelby/Metco Fuel Rails - Shelby Alcoa Forged 20" Dura-Bright Super Snake Style Wheels - Shelby Billet Aluminum Fuel Door - NMB2 2-Stage WOT Box - Granatelli Motors Tire Fryer Line-lock - ZEX N2O kit - Ford Racing Lighted Sill Plates w/Ford Racing logo.

Soon to be "For Sale": Eradispeed Rear Brake Rotors & Caliper Relocation Brackets

#6 OFFLINE   JT93

JT93

07SGT5059

• Great Lakes Region
  • 582 posts
  • Joined 26-January 10

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Would you buy a steak then take it into a restaurant and have them cook it...and expect a reduced price because you provided the steak?

Same thing. Many dealerships won't install customer provided parts. There's also a issue of warranty. How do *I* warranty *your* part?

Phill

Fair enough. It was just a suggestion. I have an understanding with my dealer that I will supply all of my parts so that I am assured I can look at it before it is installed and that if something goes wrong with the part I am liable, but if it is an issue with the installation of the part the dealer is liable. Been like that since the first time I met my service advisor and the service manager.

mw2paq.jpg

Whatever the competition comes out with, we'll kick the hell out of 'em. - Carroll Shelby

Sequential Tail Lights

Corbeau TRS Seats
Corbeau Racing Harnesses
Shelby Harness Bar
Shelby Harness Pads
SVT Rims for the track
FRPP Hot Rod Cams
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body
FRPP Intake Manifold
FRPP Black Cam Covers

FRPP 3.73:1 Gearset

FR500S Differential

FRPP Hubs w/ ARP Studs
Brembo Brake Upgrade
FRPP Brake Cooling Kit

Shaftmasters Driveshaft
Dynatech Long Tubes w/ High Flow Cats
MRT Muffler Delete

Tow Hook with Custom Bracket
Tuned by Paul's High Performance

#7 OFFLINE   2010KonaBlueGT

2010KonaBlueGT

There's room at the top. Space is limited...RSVP!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09
  • Region:Mountain
  • Interests:Anything Fast - Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Planes, Women, etc. Building Hi-Po engines. Sailing, Riding Motorcycles (dirt & street), Racing - Motorcycles & Cars, Bowling & Drinking Beer!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Fair enough. It was just a suggestion. I have an understanding with my dealer that I will supply all of my parts so that I am assured I can look at it before it is installed and that if something goes wrong with the part I am liable, but if it is an issue with the installation of the part the dealer is liable. Been like that since the first time I met my service advisor and the service manager.

That is what we used to tell our customers that wanted to supply parts, so they could save money (we make money on parts, you're taking money from us).

We *would* install customer parts but at a increased labor rate and without ANY warranty (tail light warranty...when we see your tail lights, your warranty is expired).

Most people understood. Some would get pissed and go elsewhere. I was fine with that. I didn't want them coming back with a burned up starter expecting me to warranty my work, when it was THEIR starter that burned up.

Phill

2010 GT500 Coupe
Kona Blue w/White OTT Stripes and Red Accent Stripes
Electronics Package, HID's & Car Cover

CURRENT MODS: FRPP: Whipple 2.9L Polished Superchager w/Crusher Inlet & Cobra Jet Dual 65mm Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers - Ford GT Blue Cam Covers - Polished Billet COP & Oil Filler Cap Covers - FR3 Handling Pack w/Tokico Struts/Shocks & Eibach Swaybars - Jounce Bumpers - 8.8" Low Profile Axle Girdle - 3" Front Brake Cooling Ducts - Vacuum/Boost Gauge~ MGW: Short Throw Shifter - White w/Blue Stripes Shifter Knob - Radiator and Intercooler Degas Bottle Caps - Seat Recliner Lever Covers - Parking Brake Handle Cover - Coat Hanger Hooks~ PST: 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft~ Revan Racing: C&R Radiator and Intercooler~ ROUSH: 3x Intercooler Degas Bottle - Side Splitters - Extreme Off-road Exhaust - Adjustable Trailing Arms (LCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link (UCA) - Adjustable 3rd Link Bracket - AC Vent Pod Vac/Boost Gauge Mount~ SHELBY: SC Aux. Idler Pulley - Oil Dipstick Handle, MC, PS & WS Washer Reservoir Caps - 8-qt. Oil Pan - Tubular K-Member Subframe - Tubular A-arms - CS S1000 Billet Aluminum Transmission Crossmember - Seat Harness Bar - 6S Extreme Rear Brakes - 6S Extreme Front Brakes - GT500KR Front Brake Cooling Duct Bezels - Anti Bump-stear Tie-rod Ends - Race Style Swaybar Links - Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates - Adjustable Panhard Bar - Panhard Bar/Body Brace - GT500KR Rear Axle Reservoir - Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets -18" GT500KR Alcoa Dura-Bright Wheels & Goodyear GT500KR Winged Boot F1 Supercar Tires~ Raptor Shift Light

PURCHASED AND AWAITING INSTALLATION: Shelby/Metco Fuel Rails - Shelby Alcoa Forged 20" Dura-Bright Super Snake Style Wheels - Shelby Billet Aluminum Fuel Door - NMB2 2-Stage WOT Box - Granatelli Motors Tire Fryer Line-lock - ZEX N2O kit - Ford Racing Lighted Sill Plates w/Ford Racing logo.

Soon to be "For Sale": Eradispeed Rear Brake Rotors & Caliper Relocation Brackets

#8 OFFLINE   shelbytexan

shelbytexan

Team Shelby Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 619 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07
  • Region:Southern Plains

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Looking to spice up my '09 GT500. I went to a local Ford dealership (with a good reputation modding GT500s) to have them help put together a package. Below is the email I got back. Prices are higher than I thought, but I've only really researched the wheels. They quote $385 a piece but based on my own research the fronts are about $300 and the rears $330. Makes me wonder about the rest. Especially the lowering springs. If I look them up I see $284. How do they get to $775+? Am I missing something or should I run away from these guys? When I asked about the wheels originally, he said I might need a new pan hard bar to get wider tires (I asked if we could do 305s in the back). He seems to be backing off that now. Here is the email I got:

"Shelby CS40 Wheel 20x9 and 20x10 $1536.00
Nitto 555 tires $1175.00
Lowering using Ford Racing springs $775.00 with new 4 wheel alignment.
Side scoops $425.00 painted and installed
Window louvers $425.00 painted and installed
Level 3 Detail $560.00

This is our top of the line detail. When your car gets here if we do not need to go this far we can re-evaluate.

Total $4896.00

This will certainly be a complete change to your vehicle and with the detail it would be like giving you a brand new car when we are done with it. I would need to get a deposit of 50% to start ordering everything. Once it is all here I would need your car for about two days to complete all the work. I have attached a CC authorization form if you would like to make a deposit thus saving a trip down here. Regarding the pan hard bar we can get you one but depending on how you drive the vehicle it might not be something you need."

I have the cs 40 wheels. You can buy them from Cruzin Concepts probably cheaper than anywhere else. I bought my nitto's from Discount Tire and had them install my new tires and wheels on the car.I installed 255x35's on front and 285x30's on back. You can save a lot of money doing a little of the leg work yourself. Why pay the middle man when you don't have to.Agree you shouldn't let the dealer do the detail work. Go to a detailer and maybe you can learn a few tricks of the trade and then do it yourself the next time. Good Luck.

#9 OFFLINE   glroy

glroy

Team Shelby Member

• Team Shelby Club Member
  • 1,513 posts
  • Joined 05-February 08
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Road trips
    car shows
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

A couple of questions
1 lowered front end without bump steer??
2 new 4 wheel alignment ?? no adjustable pan hard bar, no CC plates

The Shelby gt500s even with the SVT package do not have the best suspension to begin with; now lowering the car without correcting the suspension geometry is just not going to leave you happy. Its just physics; for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Just my 2 cents, but find a mod shop that does lots of suspension upgrades and ask lots of questions.
My wife commented on the weekend when we were out for a drive in the 13 "I hate to say it but this car needs some work". I figure I am looking at around 10K to get the 13 handling like the 07 and another 3-5k to make it handle better.
Vehicle
2007 Shelby GT500
Last Updated Apr 09 2013 10:37 AM

Vehicle
1993 Mustang GT
Last Updated Apr 09 2013 10:36 AM

Vehicle
2013 Shelby GT500
Last Updated Apr 09 2013 10:36 AM

Mods by

Mackenzie's Mustang Supply

It's worth the trip

• Metco 2.80" Upper Pulley
  • MAC Custom axle back mufflers W/4"tips
  • Steeda Extreme Duty Billitt Lower Control Arms
  • Adjustable Upper Rear Control Arm
  • Maximum Motorsports Adjustable Pan Hard Bar
  • H&R Rear Lowering Springs
  • Painted Rear End
  • SPEC Twin SS Clutch and Flywheel
  • KR Axle Reservoir
  • Shelby/Baer Racing Black 6 Piston brakes, Slotted and Drilled 14" Front and 13" Rear Baer Rotors
  • Innovators West 10% Overdrive Balancer
  • Shelby Shifter Warranty; no more rattle in 2nd (having the first is not always the best)
  • Dynotech 1 Piece Driveshaft
  • Maximum Motorsports/Shelby Camber/Caster Plates W/ Spherical Bearing
  • H&R Front & Rear Sway Bars W/ Billet End Links
  • Tokico D-Spec 16 way Adjustable Shocks & Struts
  • Dynotech racing stainless long tube headers, X pipe, 200 cell high flow cats
  • Steeda lower control arm relocation brackets (welded)
  • JLT oil separator
  • hood struts

Mods by
ME

• Steeda HE
  • JLT Carbon Fiber Intake and Mass Air Meter
  • Carbon Fiber KR Mirror Covers
  • Install and mod the Shelby dead pedal (it now stays in place)
  • GT500 sill plates and dash plaque

Mods by
others

• Shelby interior upgrade
  • 373's
  • Detroit Truetrac
  • Build Date 02-22-07

#10 OFFLINE   JT93

JT93

07SGT5059

• Great Lakes Region
  • 582 posts
  • Joined 26-January 10

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

That is what we used to tell our customers that wanted to supply parts, so they could save money (we make money on parts, you're taking money from us).

We *would* install customer parts but at a increased labor rate and without ANY warranty (tail light warranty...when we see your tail lights, your warranty is expired).

Most people understood. Some would get pissed and go elsewhere. I was fine with that. I didn't want them coming back with a burned up starter expecting me to warranty my work, when it was THEIR starter that burned up.

Phill

None at all? Not even on the labor? I can understand the part, I wouldn't expect them to give a warranty on a part they didn't supply. But you wouldn't give a 30 day (or whatever the time period may be) warranty on the labor? Say I brought in an aftermarket radiator and wanted it installed, if the car overheated because there was an air bubble in the line I would have to pay to have the radiator reflushed? Even if it was clearly not the fault of the part I supplied?

I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to understand what I was told. It doesn't sound like I was getting the guarantee I thought I was...

mw2paq.jpg

Sequential Tail Lights

Corbeau TRS Seats
Corbeau Racing Harnesses
Shelby Harness Bar
Shelby Harness Pads
SVT Rims for the track
FRPP Hot Rod Cams
FRPP 62mm Throttle Body