#1 OFFLINE   braztang

braztang

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Joined 25-July 11
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Ride motorcycles, surfing, skating,studying, wine and beer.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hey guys,
Need an advice from the experts:

I got 2000 miles on my 2013 GT500, mostly highway drive, never yet track and never yet went HARD on the car.
I got a message on the dash telling me an oil change is required NOW.

What oil / filter should I use on the car for the first oil change?

Should I bring it to FORD DEALER, do it myself or go to my buddy's shop?

Thank you,
LCL
Know safety, no pain.

#2 OFFLINE   WJinLV

WJinLV

WJ in Vegas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 15-June 12
  • Region:Mountain
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Im almost due for mine too. Sticking with the recommended motorcraft synthetic and having dealer do first one (its free).
2013 Shelby GT500. Performance White Sonic Blue Stripes. Airaid SynthaMax filter. JLT dual oil separators. FRPP resonator delete. Redline hood struts. Michelin PSS, 275/40/19, 285/35/20. Smoked markers. Shelby shifter. Jaeger brothers stone guards. GT350 style rear window covers. Lloyd's mats.

#3 OFFLINE   braztang

braztang

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Joined 25-July 11

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Mine wont be free, as I bought the car out of state and brought it to NYC, I would have to go to a FORD dealer to do it the first time, that is why I thought of doing it myself or at a friend's shop.
Does the dealer do any other checks at 2K for the first time? or just oil/filter and fluids?

Anyone know how is it done? Thanks WJinLV,
Thanks everyone.
LCL
Know safety, no pain.

#4 OFFLINE   mash

mash

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Joined 27-February 13
  • Region:Canada

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

Hey guys,

I got 2000 miles on my 2013 GT500, mostly highway drive, never yet track and never yet went HARD on the car.

Thank you,
LCL

You're getting that message at 2000 miles of routine driving. What gives?

I asked our local SVT shop whether I should swap the oil after the break-in, and they told me it was completely unnecessary. They figured I wouldn't get the message to change until 8000km, or roughly 5000 miles.

#5 OFFLINE   RickW

RickW

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 04-October 12
  • Interests:Freedom!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

You're getting that message at 2000 miles of routine driving. What gives?

What gives is that, according to the manual, the oil is supposed to be changed "every 7500 miles (12000 km) or six months (whichever comes first)." Apparently, the ECM takes time between service intervals into account, as well as mileage, thus the message.

Rick
2013 GT500 Coupe - Red Candy/White Stripes, SVTPP, Recaros

#6 OFFLINE   Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

Normal Scheduled Maintenance

Every 7500 miles (12000 km) or six months (whichever comes first)

Change engine oil and filter.

Inspect cabin air filter (if equipped).

Inspect tire wear and measure tread depth.*

Inspect wheels and related components for abnormal noise, wear, looseness or drag.

Perform multi-point inspection (recommended).

2013 GT500 Coupe - HPW with Black Stripes - SVT PP - SVT TP - Redline Hood Struts - Yeager Bros Front Gravel Guards - Bob's Oil Separator -AirAid Blue Non-Oiled Air Filter - CarboTech 1521 Ceramic Brake Pads - Resonator Eliminator Kit - WeatherTech Floor Mats
Car Ordered 5-27-2012 - Delivered 1-26-2013

#7 OFFLINE   Grabber

Grabber

TS Member #26

• 35,055 posts
  • Joined 21-July 06
  • Region:Pacific Northwest

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

I have attached the best "how too" oil change thread that I have seen. Ivan did a great job putting it together. It is for the 2007 to 2009 but most of it will apply to your car too.

http://www.svtperfor...tml#post9536631
GRABBER Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image 2007 GRABBER ORANGE GT500 Coupe ordered 10/13/06. Sub to plant 12/14/06. Scheduled 1/16/07. Bucked 1/17/07. Released From Plant 1/19/07. Plant Quality Hold 1/19/07. Off Plant Quality Hold 2/21/07. Shipped 2/22/07. Delivered 3/8/07. New 2008 2nd Gen. Tranny & Nickle Hub Clutch & Flywheel & Lube & CSC bearing 1/16/2008. New 2009 2nd Gen. Flywheel & another new Nickel Hub Clutch & Pilot Bearing 8/8/08. New 2010 Clutch and flywheel and slave cylinder & pilot bearing and clutch line 8/2/12
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Farmer-Ted

Farmer-Ted

Team Shelby New Member

• Mountain Region
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 04-October 12

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

I have attached the best "how too" oil change thread that I have seen. Ivan did a great job putting it together. It is for the 2007 to 2009 but most of it will apply to your car too.

Just remember the 2013 takes 8.5 quarts.
2013 GT500 - Black, black and black.
1992 GT - Termifoxinator 92/03 hybrid

#9 OFFLINE   Norton

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 09-June 12

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

I don't qualify as an expert, but I can tell you what I think...

First, that seems WAY EARLY for a "required" oil change. I changed mine at about 2K miles, but it was completely voluntary. IIRC, the computer said the oil still had about 75% of its service life left.

Second, having done a bit of reading on the topic of oil and filters, I prefer to use something other than Motocraft. I ended up going with an Amsoil EAO11 filter and Mobil 1 5W-50 (for now). Opinions are sure to vary greatly, but I recommend you take a look at this thread to help develop yours. Based on what I read there and elsewhere, I will likely convert to Amsoil 10W-40 when my supply of Mobil 1 is gone.

2013 Coupe, Triple Black, SVTPP, SVTTP, Recaros, Electronics Pkg, Shaker Pro, & Cover / 642HP, 621 FT-LBS
#908 of 1464, Built on 16 Oct, Delivered by Whitney's Value Ford in Elma, WA on 9 Nov
Mods: 
MPSS Tires on Base Wheels, Revan Racing Engine Bay Reservoirs, JLT CF Intake, Airaid SynthaMax Filter, Bob's Ultimate Oil Separator, FRPP Strut Tower Brace, MGW Shifter, SS Brake & Clutch Lines, Ford Racing & AeroForce Interceptor Gauges, Jaeger Bros Stone Guards, VLED 5K CREE Driving Lights, Clutch-Assist Spring Removed, True Forged Heat Extractor, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Plus, Viper Ultra Tint, Bob's Map & License Plate LEDs, Rogue Radar-Mount, Lloyd Mats, Shelby Dash Plaque, CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna, Mobil 1 & Amsoil Lubricants

IMG_0330_zps4304eb1d.jpg

Originally ordered from Phil Long Ford Chapel Hills (CO) on 18 Jun, my order dropped from "#1 of 3" to "#3 of 2" on 19 Sep
Moral of the story: Do NOT shop Phil Long Ford Chapel Hills in Colo Spgs, CO

#10 OFFLINE   Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Joined 18-May 12

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

OIL LIFE

This displays the remaining oil life.

An oil change is required whenever indicated by the information center and according to the recommended maintenance schedule. USE ONLY RECOMMENDED ENGINE OILS.

To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change perform the following:

1. Press and release SETUP to display OIL LIFE XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW.

2. Press and hold RESET for two seconds and release to reset the oil life to 100%.

Edited by Snoopy49, 23 March 2013 - 07:09 PM.

2013 GT500 Coupe - HPW with Black Stripes - SVT PP - SVT TP - Redline Hood Struts - Yeager Bros Front Gravel Guards - Bob's Oil Separator -AirAid Blue Non-Oiled Air Filter - CarboTech 1521 Ceramic Brake Pads - Resonator Eliminator Kit - WeatherTech Floor Mats
Car Ordered 5-27-2012 - Delivered 1-26-2013

#11 OFFLINE   IngotSilverSnake

IngotSilverSnake

IngotSilverSnake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Joined 29-April 12
  • Region:South Atlantic
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:08 AM

My thoughts: 1. As already observed, oil life monitor takes into account time as well as mileage. Adverse chemical reactions occur in motor oil even when not in use. 2. I did my first oil change at 1,000 miles and will change it at least every 3,000 miles or 6 month thereafter. 3. I use Motorcraft 5W-50 and the FL-820S Factory Filter. I am a great believer in Amsoil Products and use them in other applications. However, even Amsoil does not recommend using their oils in your Shelby. Until they make a 5W-50 that meets Ford Specifications, I would use an oil that meets those specifications. Using an aftermarket filter can change the flow characteristics of oil in the engine. Numerous auto tech instructors I have had for automotive courses I have taken over the years recommended only factory filters for engines. 4. Think twice before letting a dealer change the oil in your Shelby. There are numerous discussion threads on various forums that will give you horror stories on overfilling/underfiling cars with oil or using the wrong oil. Numerous cases of dealers using 5W-20 oil in Shelbys (that weight is meant for the V-6 and 5.0 engines only). Changing your own oil is not difficult and you know it will be done correctly. Make sure you save the receipts for oil and filter purchases for warranty purposes.

2012 GT500 Coupe With SVTPP, Ingot Silver, Bone Stock (More Than Enough Power for Me)
2001 Ram 2500 4X4 (Old Reliable)
2006 HD 35th Anniversary Dyna Super Glide (High Flow Air Filter, Stage 1 Kit, Race Tuner, Screamin Eagle II Slip Ons)
2011 BMW 328i (Wife's Dream Car)

#12 OFFLINE   braztang

braztang

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Joined 25-July 11

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:18 AM

GREAT GUYS,
I really appreciated all comments and insights.

Will do what is necessary HOME and will go for a inspection at 7500, if I understood correctly.

Thanks everyone,
have a great weekend ahead.
LCL
Know safety, no pain.

#13 OFFLINE   MJN

MJN

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 681 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
  • Region:Great Lakes
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:27 AM

Do some reseach and decide for yourself what you think works the best. In the end what makes you feel warm in fuzzy inside is what counts. I myself run AMSOIL 10W40 with there oil filter and change every year. I put maybe 3,000 miles on it, thinking maybe, with bit more research switching end of this year to their 10W30 Signature ATM oil. Like I said in the end it is what makes you feel good.

12 GT500 Blk Stripe Delete
Borla Cat back, JLT carbon fiber intake and splash guards, 3M Clear Bra, Kenny Brown Matrix Brace
AFCO Pro H/E, MGW Shifter, Shelby Oil Seperator
AMSOIL Dealer

#14 OFFLINE   braztang

braztang

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Joined 25-July 11

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:36 AM

Guys, on the oil separtor, is the JLT oil separator for mustang 11-14 the same for the GT500?
Thanks,
LCL
Know safety, no pain.

#15 OFFLINE   MJN

MJN

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 681 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

Guys, on the oil separtor, is the JLT oil separator for mustang 11-14 the same for the GT500?
Thanks,
LCL

The physcial oil separator is the same but the tubing JLT provides with 500 and the GT are different. Different shape and lengths of the tubing and location of separator.

Borla Cat back, JLT carbon fiber intake and splash guards, 3M Clear Bra, Kenny Brown Matrix Brace
AMSOIL Dealer

#16 OFFLINE   braztang

braztang

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Joined 25-July 11

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:44 AM

The physcial oil separator is the same but the tubing JLT provides with 500 and the GT are different. Different shape and lengths of the tubing and location of separator.

Thank you,
stay safe,
LCL
Know safety, no pain.

#17 OFFLINE   braztang

braztang

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Joined 25-July 11

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:14 AM

Got my first oil change this morning!
Mechanics were impressed with the viscosity and DARK COLOR of the oil extracted at 2500 MILES on my car. I saw the oil and it was VERY DARK and kind of thick!

I added 8.5 quarters of MOTORCRAFT 5W50 full synthetic with a ford racing performance OEM filter on it.
I was advised to change the oil every 5000 or even before, and not to allow more than 1 year past, whatever comes first?

Any thoughts?
Thank you,
LCL
Know safety, no pain.

#18 OFFLINE   acroholic

acroholic

Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 66 posts
  • Joined 21-January 13

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

I read the link Grabber, and I wondered how much oil is not drained into the car by having the front up on ramps like that? I used change my Corvette's oil like that, except I also jacked up the rear of the car by the center diff to get the oil completely drained.

#19 OFFLINE   braztang

braztang

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Joined 25-July 11

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

i did not use ramp, i went to a shop, where they used a lift.
At least it is good to know that you had same experience with you Corvette.

I wonder if the 5000 miles o 1 year would be okay for our 2013 Shelby oil change.
Thanks,
LCL
Know safety, no pain.

#20 OFFLINE   MJN

MJN

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 681 posts
  • Joined 12-May 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

i did not use ramp, i went to a shop, where they used a lift.
At least it is good to know that you had same experience with you Corvette.

I wonder if the 5000 miles o 1 year would be okay for our 2013 Shelby oil change.
Thanks,
LCL

That will be fine, just change it before you put it away for the winter and be good for the next year, Now if you decide to put it out on the road course and do a few sessions or on the strip alot you might want to make that oil change more frequent.

AMSOIL Dealer

#21 OFFLINE   440sprint

440sprint

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 29-August 12
  • Interests:technology, muscle cars

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:02 AM

Hey guys,

Thank you,
LCL

Your % oil life probably was not set to 100% at last oil change or when new.

I changed the oil in my '13 Shelby first at 750 miles after owning it for 2 months & it became too dark for me (with all the assembly lubricants in it). I used Castrol 5w50 Edge & a premium filter.

I just had my 2nd oil change now at 3750 mi & 6 mos later since the change-oil mssg came on & the oil was getting a little dark. I assume that the change-oil mssg will come on again in another 6 mos unless it becomes too dark for me, or I put more than 7500 miles on it during that time (extremely doughtful)!

I did reset my oil life to 100% with the oil change & used the Motorcraft 5w50 synthetic & the FL-820 filter. I will probably go back to Castrol Edge (or use Amsoil 5w50 if ever made) for future oil changes unless I notice some advantage to using Motorcraft.

I did notice more PCV blow-by in my JLT catch-can after the first 750 miles on the factory Motorcraft than with the next 3000 miles on Castrol Edge, but that could be due to factory Motorcraft for my initial 750 (easy) break-in miles. Edge is suppose to give off less volatiles (NOWAK).

#22 OFFLINE   Sportster

Sportster

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 25-July 13
  • Interests:Horses, Dogs, Gardening and My Mustang

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Can someone let me know what oil filter comes on the 2013 Shelby?  Is it the standard FL-820S?

#23 OFFLINE   IngotSilverSnake

IngotSilverSnake

IngotSilverSnake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Joined 29-April 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

Can someone let me know what oil filter comes on the 2013 Shelby?  Is it the standard FL-820S?

Your filter is the Motorcraft FL-820S.  Your oil is Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic or equivalent oil that meets specification WSS-M2C931-B.. 

Edited by IngotSilverSnake, 02 August 2013 - 10:00 AM.

2012 GT500 Coupe With SVTPP, Ingot Silver, Bone Stock (More Than Enough Power for Me)
2006 HD 35th Anniversary Dyna Super Glide (High Flow Air Filter, Stage 1 Kit, Race Tuner, Screamin Eagle II Slip Ons)

#24 OFFLINE   Sportster

Sportster

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 25-July 13
  • Interests:Horses, Dogs, Gardening and My Mustang

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

Thanks IngotSilverSnake .... I wasn't sure if it  was the FL-820S or the racing version of M6730 FL820.  I have the Motorcraft 5W-50 Synthetic and what sounds like the correct filter.

I'm going to stick with the Motorcraft synthetic for now. 

Since I have  your attention do you know anything about the M-5300-L lowering springs?  I want to install the rears only ....

#25 OFFLINE   IngotSilverSnake

IngotSilverSnake

IngotSilverSnake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Joined 29-April 12
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Thanks IngotSilverSnake .... I wasn't sure if it  was the FL-820S or the racing version of M6730 FL820.  I have the Motorcraft 5W-50 Synthetic and what sounds like the correct filter.

I'm going to stick with the Motorcraft synthetic for now. 

Since I have  your attention do you know anything about the M-5300-L lowering springs?  I want to install the rears only ....

You are welcome Sportster.  Can't help you with the spring question but there are a lot of guys on this forum that can.  Recommend you start a new thread with that question.  Also check out http://www.fordgt500.com/.  It is a great site that has a lot more activity than this one.  A lot of helpful guys there if you join.  I go by "SilverSnake" on that forum. 

With a name like Sportster, I am guessing you ride HD bikes.  So do I.  I have had 6 and currently ride an FXD35.  Used to sell Harleys at a dealership in VA. 

Edited by IngotSilverSnake, 02 August 2013 - 12:35 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oil change

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users