46 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   DrHawkeye

DrHawkeye

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 1,098 posts
  • Joined 15-November 12
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Interests:Shelby's, astronomy, computer gaming, X-Men/Wolverine, heavy metal

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:59 AM

I'm sure many will laugh, but my introduction to Mustangs, and what made me crave them, was Charlie's Angels.  That Cobra II clicked something in my brain, and I had to have it.  (and no, it wasn't Farrah, I was a Jackie guy).  I didn't know about power from before then, since I was too young to drive, so I didn't know any better.  My first Mustang was a '77 fastback that I was going to clone into a Cobra II (never thought I'd find one, so I went with the next best idea).  it had a 302, and seemed to have plenty of power.  Lo and behold, about a year and a half later, I actually found a '76 Cobra II in the local paper.  Bought it as fast as I could lay my hands on some money.  That only that the 2.8L, but still seemed to have some power to it.  Unfortunately, a malfunctioning stop light turned that one into a horseshoe around a light pole.  And that's how I ended up with my current '64.5.  If I'm lucky enough to get the Shelby I want next year, then I'll finally get to experience some real power.  So, for my age group, we didn't grow up with cars with power, unless someone was lucky enough to have an older Mustang.  Probably why I don't get all excited over HP numbers, I don't know the difference.

#32 OFFLINE   Captain Beyond

Captain Beyond

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Joined 01-January 08
  • Region:Southern Plains
  • Interests:Shelby Mustangs

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:03 PM

I'm sure many will laugh, but my introduction to Mustangs, and what made me crave them, was Charlie's Angels.  That Cobra II clicked something in my brain, and I had to have it.  (and no, it wasn't Farrah, I was a Jackie guy).  I didn't know about power from before then, since I was too young to drive, so I didn't know any better.  My first Mustang was a '77 fastback that I was going to clone into a Cobra II (never thought I'd find one, so I went with the next best idea).  it had a 302, and seemed to have plenty of power.  Lo and behold, about a year and a half later, I actually found a '76 Cobra II in the local paper.  Bought it as fast as I could lay my hands on some money.  That only that the 2.8L, but still seemed to have some power to it.  Unfortunately, a malfunctioning stop light turned that one into a horseshoe around a light pole.  And that's how I ended up with my current '64.5.  If I'm lucky enough to get the Shelby I want next year, then I'll finally get to experience some real power.  So, for my age group, we didn't grow up with cars with power, unless someone was lucky enough to have an older Mustang.  Probably why I don't get all excited over HP numbers, I don't know the difference.

Great story. I also remember watching that show as a kid. I preferred Farrah though. What kind of Shelby do you want?

Edited by Captain Beyond, 20 April 2017 - 06:10 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   Captain Beyond

Captain Beyond

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Joined 01-January 08

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

sorry double post

Edited by Captain Beyond, 20 April 2017 - 06:06 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   DrHawkeye

DrHawkeye

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 1,098 posts
  • Joined 15-November 12

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:03 AM

Great story. I also remember watching that show as a kid. I preferred Farrah though. What kind of Shelby do you want?

I was always weird.  I preferred Jackie to Farrah; Mary Ann to Ginger (which is really weird cuz I love redheads); Janet to Chrissy.

As for the Shelby, my dream car would be a 40th Anniv KR, white with blue stripes, but I'll be happy with an '07/08 GT500, same color.  When I saw it come out back in '06, I was having flashbacks to that Charlie's Angels car, cuz there's a lot of similarities.

#35 OFFLINE   mhr1961

mhr1961

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 425 posts
  • Joined 28-May 10
  • Region:Decline
  • Interests:Shelbys,Working Out, Reading, Nightmare Home Restoration Projects

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:15 PM

I was always weird.  I preferred Jackie to Farrah; Mary Ann to Ginger (which is really weird cuz I love redheads); Janet to Chrissy.

As for the Shelby, my dream car would be a 40th Anniv KR, white with blue stripes, but I'll be happy with an '07/08 GT500, same color.  When I saw it come out back in '06, I was having flashbacks to that Charlie's Angels car, cuz there's a lot of similarities.

Back in the day you were only weird if you grew up thinking Bosley was the hottest angel........today, even that is not weird.

Also, it isn't weird that you preferred Mary Anne over Ginger on Gilligan's Island. She consistently out polled Ginger back in the day by about 3 to 1 and also got about twice as much fan mail. Mary Anne was also a hell of a lot smarter than anybody else on that island including the professor, because she is the only one who negotiated being paid in syndication and she has made millions over the years from it while the rest of the cast got zilch.

I never thought the professor was that smart. He could make a radio out of bamboo and coconuts, and a bunch of other contraptions but he couldn't figure out how to patch a hole in the boat?.......

Jackie also in many cases out polled Farrah.

The hottest angel was Cheryl Ladd.........she still looks good even today.

Ah well back to topic......wasn't somebody trying to sell on '08 KR???

Edited by mhr1961, 21 April 2017 - 01:16 PM.

2008 Shelby GT Convertible CSM#08SGT1754
Vista Blue/Silver Stripes,Automatic Transmission,Interior Upgrade Pkg-Satin Alum Panels, HID Headlamps, GT Upfittters Pkg, DVD Navigation System, Heated Seats, Active AntiTheft, Ambient Lighting, Shaker 500 Audio, Sirius Satellite Radio

No Major Mods-Only Mods are Dress Up Items that can be removed easily to be able restore car back to original condition in an afternoon
Dress Up Items to Individualize my 08SGT:
SAI-"Shelby GT" Billet Aluminum License Plate Frame
SAI- Berg "S" Cobra Black/Silver Wheel Center Caps
SAI- Berg "S" Cobra Brushed Finish Stainless Steel Dead Pedal
SAI- Berg "S" Cobra Custom Made 12 V Power Plug

SAI- Berg "S" Cobra Trunk Lock Center Emblem

SAI- "Shelby GT" Logo Front Floor Mats
SAI- Shelby GT Billet Aluminum Grille-Lower

Scott Drake 6 Way Programmable Sequential Tail Lights
Ford- OEM Ford Racing Oil Filter (Mobil 1)
Ford- OEM "Personalized " 19.125" Shortened Antennae to match roofline with convertible top in the up position
Ford- OEM Driver's Side SunVisor signed and dated by CARROLL SHELBY 10/23/10
3M ClearGuard "Bra" on First 2" of Hood and Front Fenders

#36 OFFLINE   Captain Beyond

Captain Beyond

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Joined 01-January 08

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

Excellent choice.

#37 OFFLINE   DrHawkeye

DrHawkeye

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 1,098 posts
  • Joined 15-November 12

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

Back in the day you were only weird if you grew up thinking Bosley was the hottest angel........today, even that is not weird.

Also, it isn't weird that you preferred Mary Anne over Ginger on Gilligan's Island. She consistently out polled Ginger back in the day by about 3 to 1 and also got about twice as much fan mail. Mary Anne was also a hell of a lot smarter than anybody else on that island including the professor, because she is the only one who negotiated being paid in syndication and she has made millions over the years from it while the rest of the cast got zilch.

I never thought the professor was that smart. He could make a radio out of bamboo and coconuts, and a bunch of other contraptions but he couldn't figure out how to patch a hole in the boat?.......

Jackie also in many cases out polled Farrah.

The hottest angel was Cheryl Ladd.........she still looks good even today.

Ah well back to topic......wasn't somebody trying to sell on '08 KR???

I've had the pleasure of meeting Dawn Wells a couple times at ComicCon, and some of her promo pictures that she has available to sign are just incredible. :drool:

#38 OFFLINE   Captain Beyond

Captain Beyond

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Joined 01-January 08

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

I've had the pleasure of meeting Dawn Wells a couple times at ComicCon, and some of her promo pictures that she has available to sign are just incredible. :drool:

Mary Ann was definitely hotter than Ginger.

#39 ONLINE   orange2

orange2

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 05-February 17
  • Interests:cars

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:25 PM

Mary Ann was definitely hotter than Ginger.

Mary Ann for sure. Jaclyn Smith is still a very attractive mature woman. She and Cheryl Ladd have both done some very good work since Charlies Angels.

#40 OFFLINE   stngfever

stngfever

Team Shelby Michigan Director

• Team Shelby State Director
  • 1,558 posts
  • Joined 27-August 08
  • Interests:Tracking one of My Shelby's

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

Talk about thread hijack!

Team Shelby Great Lakes Region
Michigan Director

gallery_22226_698_123667.jpg

#41 OFFLINE   DrHawkeye

DrHawkeye

Team Shelby Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 1,098 posts
  • Joined 15-November 12

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:19 AM

No, we're still talking about KRs, just a little tangent, cuz sometimes attractive women make guys forget what they're talking about.  And the topic had pretty much run it's course and evolved naturally.

#42 ONLINE   orange2

orange2

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 05-February 17
  • Interests:cars

Posted Yesterday, 07:38 AM

No, we're still talking about KRs, just a little tangent, cuz sometimes attractive women make guys forget what they're talking about.  And the topic had pretty much run it's course and evolved naturally.

Isn't that the truth. Life is way, way, too short to concern ones self with an internet forum thread getting "off topic".

#43 OFFLINE   Bruce2009KR

Bruce2009KR

Team Shelby New Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 14-January 16
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:Golf, Fishing, Cooking, Acoustic Guitar, Cigars, Wine

Posted Today, 05:13 AM

Having been in sales all my life I can say, regarding anything's "value:" it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

Find someone who wants a KR (or any item) so bad they can taste it and suddenly you'll see a sold price many thought impossible. It may just take a bit longer to find that person, but it happens all the time.

I'm not worried about whether my '09 KR appreciates or depreciates in the coming years because each time I fire her up and cruise around it give me my money's worth tenfold. That's the price of admission I guess.

Oh, forgot to add: MaryAnn for me too! (Wink)

Edited by Bruce2009KR, Today, 05:14 AM.

#44 OFFLINE   Robert M

Robert M

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  • Joined 16-April 08

Posted Today, 07:18 AM

Having been in sales all my life I can say, regarding anything's "value:" it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

Find someone who wants a KR (or any item) so bad they can taste it and suddenly you'll see a sold price many thought impossible. It may just take a bit longer to find that person, but it happens all the time.

I'm not worried about whether my '09 KR appreciates or depreciates in the coming years because each time I fire her up and cruise around it give me my money's worth tenfold. That's the price of admission I guess.

Oh, forgot to add: MaryAnn for me too! (Wink)

^^^^^^^^^^^^When you mention this, it reminds me of this from this past year........................

Like I said, this was an auction from late last year.............

004_zpsvt8aldbb.jpg

First of all, what looks wrong with this description??..................

005_zpsncs6hrax.jpg

Moving up.............

006_zpsmi0hm2md.jpg

Going much bigger than "real world" for a car of this color, condition and miles (too many examples to list from eBay "completed" sales for at least $15K less)...........

003_zpsaxdamwkw.jpg

and the happy buyer/family.................

002_zpsavvizd3m.jpg

Is this car an "upfitter package" 605hp car, or is this a buyer, as you mentioned above someone who has not done his homework and is immediately buried in his used GT500KR investment?

If it is/was an entry Super Snake power level 605hp GT500KR as up fitted by Shelby, that is/was a Great buy, if it was incorrectly labeled by B-J Auctions as 605hp in the pre-auction literature and this buyer assumed all GT500KR's were 6xxhp, then that is an uninformed buyer.

Because this Silver/Blue GT500KR sold for the amount shown above, can $59K be realistically used as a "real world" quoted value for a 2008 GT500KR of this condition and miles, or was that ass you mentioned above, more of a fluke than reality? I think we all know the answer.

R

Edited by Robert M, Today, 07:25 AM.

#45 OFFLINE   Robert M

Robert M

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  • Joined 16-April 08

Posted Today, 07:33 AM

For a short period of time a few years ago I went shopping for a 1976/77 Cobra II. I found some nice examples and also some not so nice. I just couldn't get past the tiny oem wheel/tire combination. I liked the overall oem look (very 70's), but Pinto sized wide tires? My though was "possibly" buy a set of the first year alloys that were an option of the 1973 Mach 1 (which look very similar to the oem Cobra II alloys) and do a 5 lug conversion using those similar looking 73 Mach 1 alloys just to beef up the Cobra II look while also keeping it oemish looking. In the end I regained my senses and moved away from that idea, however, I still appreciate a clean original Mustang or Cobra II from that era, they are seldom seen.

I remember Hot Rod magazine featuring a 1974 Mustang II hatchback with a 428 stuffed between the fenders and tucked rear tires, 10 seconds all day back then and dependable (as dependable was back then), that was a cool looking car!! I re-read that magazine feature many times and drooled over that FE powered Mustang II back in the mid-1970's.

Yep, I remember Chas. Angels, the girls and their Mustangs.............really cool!!

R

Edited by Robert M, Today, 07:38 AM.

#46 OFFLINE   Captain Beyond

Captain Beyond

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Joined 01-January 08

Posted Today, 11:18 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^When you mention this, it reminds me of this from this past year........................

Like I said, this was an auction from late last year.............

004_zpsvt8aldbb.jpg

First of all, what looks wrong with this description??..................

005_zpsncs6hrax.jpg

Moving up.............

006_zpsmi0hm2md.jpg

Going much bigger than "real world" for a car of this color, condition and miles (too many examples to list from eBay "completed" sales for at least $15K less)...........

003_zpsaxdamwkw.jpg

and the happy buyer/family.................

002_zpsavvizd3m.jpg

Is this car an "upfitter package" 605hp car, or is this a buyer, as you mentioned above someone who has not done his homework and is immediately buried in his used GT500KR investment?

If it is/was an entry Super Snake power level 605hp GT500KR as up fitted by Shelby, that is/was a Great buy, if it was incorrectly labeled by B-J Auctions as 605hp in the pre-auction literature and this buyer assumed all GT500KR's were 6xxhp, then that is an uninformed buyer.

Because this Silver/Blue GT500KR sold for the amount shown above, can $59K be realistically used as a "real world" quoted value for a 2008 GT500KR of this condition and miles, or was that ass you mentioned above, more of a fluke than reality? I think we all know the answer.

R

That was probably an upfitter package car. It looks like it has 20" Alcoas. No way anyone pays that much for a regular KR now.
Speaking of 605 hp Super Snakes, a beautiful low mile 2008 recently sold for $46K. I've seen them sell for less. These 605 hp versions are now selling what KRs are now.
http://bringatrailer...ford-mustang-7/

Edited by Captain Beyond, Today, 11:39 AM.

#47 OFFLINE   sheppd01

sheppd01

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 1,081 posts
  • Joined 06-February 12
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:.

Posted Today, 01:10 PM

It doesn't have 20" or the interior of the upfitter package - It does have the upgraded supercharger and gauges.
08KR0639
Carroll signed the drivers side roof --- maybe not sure on the documentation.
Total sale price $64,900

Edited by sheppd01, Today, 01:17 PM.

1_zpshx0cikmu.jpg

Team Shelby State Director West Virginia

Bored 20 Over                             1 7/8 Headers 3" H pipe

Ported heads / valves / intake     JLP Custom Cams / Cobra Jet Crank

Manley Pistons / H beams          Mongul Rod / Main Bearings

ARP Studs                                   KB Inner Cooler / Triple Pass Heat Exchanger

15% Overdrive Pulley                  Melling Oil Pump

McLeod Clutch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

orange2