#1 OFFLINE   ViperNC

ViperNC

Some say he roams around the woods at night foraging for wolves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Joined 23-December 11
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:Track days, Road course racing, Mountain bike riding/racing, motorcycle riding, cars, warbirds & chasing my kids
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:11 PM

OK.... It was quite hot today so that might have added to the problem, but I've never had this happen before.  First session was around 4:15 PM and it was hot and humid. I rolled out and warmed up the tires as usual on the first lap and then started to increase speed in successive laps.  BTW - I tried some new tires on my track wheels today and was very pleased:  Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's.  They were only $170 a tire for 285/35/19 and after I scrubbed them in they performed beautifully.  Anyway.... halfway through the first session, my supercharger overflow tank starting spitting coolant on my windshield every time I got into the boost.  I pitted and lifted the hood, but couldn't see anything wrong so I went back out on track.  Towards the end of the session, it was pretty bad and was basically spewing coolant at that point so I came in and parked the car with it running, popped the hood, and pulled my fan in front of the car to assist in cooling everything off.  The aftermarket over flow tank was bulging and I carefully removed the cap only to see the coolant boiling in the tank.  After a few minutes, everything returned to normal. 

Second session presented the issue again, but much sooner this time and the computer also threw a code halfway through the session.  The engine temps/oil pressure and temps were fine so I kept running, but slowed down and tried to stay out of the boost.  As long as I did that, I didn't get the coolant shower on my windshield.  I checked the code when I got back to the pits and it said, "Intake air temp too high".  Yeah... No shit Sherlock!  Tell me something I don't know.  Third session was more fun as I was learning to manage the situation better and basically was focusing on braking points, entry speed and corner exit.  The Indy 500's were doing their job well so I found some enjoyment, but it really sucked when I was getting passed by every car on track down the straights because I was having to ease on the throttle.

With all the mods I did to combat heat issues, the only thing I have not done (which I really don't want to do at this point) is change the supercharger.  One guy was running a TVS on his GT500 and he had the same problem.  In addition, that dreaded engine intermittent tick seems louder now?  Call me crazy.  Lastly, I got home and changed the wheels back to my street set up.  When I started the car again, there was a short high pitched squeal which presented itself a couple of times when I revved the engine and then went away.  I'm going to see if it does it again in the morning.  The engine tick was also present and then went away after I drove the car for a few minutes to get the TPMS back online. 

I have already replaced my supercharger pulley bearing in 2016 and wonder if the excessive heat today may have created another issue.  Thoughts anyone? 

1c%20(Large).jpg 

2009 Shelby GT500: 524.8 HP/549.9 Ft. Lb. Torque at the wheels on SuperFlow AutoDyn 880E AWD Chassis Dyno - https://www.youtube....h?v=f6lOjDH9eP0 True Forged Chicane Wheels w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires: 275/30/20 Front and 285/30/20 Rear - Shelby/Wilwood Front and Rear Racing Brakes - Shelby GT500 Brake Duct Bezels/Front Brake Duct Kit - Ford Racing Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers - Shelby Oil Separator - Shelby GT500 Engine Coil Covers - Metco 2.6 pulley/idler w/JLT Cold Air Kit and SCT Tune - Shelby Billet Aluminum Racing Oil Pan - Shelby Extreme Duty Heat Exchanger - Shelby Performance Twin Disc Clutch - PST Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft - Ford Racing Low Profile Differential Cover w/ over flow tank - Flowmaster Exhaust - Shelby Racing Front and Rear Sway Bars - Shelby Bumpsteer Tie Rod Adjuster - Shelby Sway Bar End Links -  Shelby K-Member, Radiator Support, Chassis Support, A-Arms, A Arm Support Brace - Shelby Billet Aluminum Watts Link - Metco Billet Aluminum Rear Lower Control Arms - Ford Racing Springs - Shelby Six Speed Shifter Lever w/ Shelby GT500 Shift Knob - Shelby GT500 Engine Billet Aluminum Cap Set - Shelby Hood Lift Kit - Shelby Billet Aluminum Racing Pedal and Dead Pedal Covers - Carbon fiber upgrades: Front Splitter, Rocker Panels, Rear Mud Guards, Rear Diffuser, Side View Mirror Inserts, Hood Vents, Door Sills, Speaker Rings, Center Console, Mirror Switch Covers, Door Lock Bezels, Radiator Cover

#2 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

Stangs Unleashed and Team Shelby Member since 2006

• Northeast Region
  • 7,979 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Raising my 3 boys!!

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

Were your heat exchanger fans running?

2014 Mustang GT Track Pack, driven and raced

TNiA_Palmer_20160818%20Cropped%20640x384

#3 OFFLINE   ViperNC

ViperNC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Joined 23-December 11
  • Interests:Track days, Road course racing, Mountain bike riding/racing, motorcycle riding, cars, warbirds & chasing my kids
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:28 AM

Pretty sure they were. I could hear them in the pit garage.

1c%20(Large).jpg 

2009 Shelby GT500: 524.8 HP/549.9 Ft. Lb. Torque at the wheels on SuperFlow AutoDyn 880E AWD Chassis Dyno - https://www.youtube....h?v=f6lOjDH9eP0 True Forged Chicane Wheels w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires: 275/30/20 Front and 285/30/20 Rear - Shelby/Wilwood Front and Rear Racing Brakes - Shelby GT500 Brake Duct Bezels/Front Brake Duct Kit - Ford Racing Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers - Shelby Oil Separator - Shelby GT500 Engine Coil Covers - Metco 2.6 pulley/idler w/JLT Cold Air Kit and SCT Tune - Shelby Billet Aluminum Racing Oil Pan - Shelby Extreme Duty Heat Exchanger - Shelby Performance Twin Disc Clutch - PST Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft - Ford Racing Low Profile Differential Cover w/ over flow tank - Flowmaster Exhaust - Shelby Racing Front and Rear Sway Bars - Shelby Bumpsteer Tie Rod Adjuster - Shelby Sway Bar End Links -  Shelby K-Member, Radiator Support, Chassis Support, A-Arms, A Arm Support Brace - Shelby Billet Aluminum Watts Link - Metco Billet Aluminum Rear Lower Control Arms - Ford Racing Springs - Shelby Six Speed Shifter Lever w/ Shelby GT500 Shift Knob - Shelby GT500 Engine Billet Aluminum Cap Set - Shelby Hood Lift Kit - Shelby Billet Aluminum Racing Pedal and Dead Pedal Covers - Carbon fiber upgrades: Front Splitter, Rocker Panels, Rear Mud Guards, Rear Diffuser, Side View Mirror Inserts, Hood Vents, Door Sills, Speaker Rings, Center Console, Mirror Switch Covers, Door Lock Bezels, Radiator Cover

#4 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

• Northeast Region
  • 7,979 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:05 AM

Good. What do you have for an overflow tank? I don't see one in your mod list and I'm assuming it is stock but I see you have the Shelby billet cap set. Those aren't performance units, they are for looks only. I have also heard of the aluminum tank caps leaking. Try your next track day with the stock tank and cap. And check your power brake booster for leaks, too, if you replaced that cap as well.

#5 OFFLINE   BIKEBOY

BIKEBOY

R.I.P. Cozmo 2000 - 2016

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,001 posts
  • Joined 15-May 06
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Some, yes...

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:24 AM

Damn Blake, I'm sorry to hear this. What Sean has said makes total sense. The system needs to be COMPLETELY sealed. The fact that you were able to "carefully remove the cap" tells me that it was NOT totally sealed up. Plus the coolant would only typically "boil" if not sealed tightly.

Good luck next time with those adjustments. :thumbsup:

33336708173_17d77162a4_m_d.jpg

"My name is Carroll Shelby,

and performance is my business."

#6 OFFLINE   ViperNC

ViperNC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Joined 23-December 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:52 AM

Good. What do you have for an overflow tank? I don't see one in your mod list and I'm assuming it is stock but I see you have the Shelby billet cap set. Those aren't performance units, they are for looks only. I have also heard of the aluminum tank caps leaking. Try your next track day with the stock tank and cap. And check your power brake booster for leaks, too, if you replaced that cap as well.

I've got the larger plastic reservoir from VMP.  It looks like the stock one, but just bigger.  The cap may not be a performance part so I get that.  The seal looked fine and it does have what appears to be a pressure release valve.  I'm wondering if I need to replace that tank now since it bulged up severely or just try a stock cap and see what happens?

Damn Blake, I'm sorry to hear this. What Sean has said makes total sense. The system needs to be COMPLETELY sealed. The fact that you were able to "carefully remove the cap" tells me that it was NOT totally sealed up. Plus the coolant would only typically "boil" if not sealed tightly.
Good luck next time with those adjustments. :thumbsup:

Well.... I just got off the phone with the guys at VMP and he said the cap would not have anything to do with it so I'm getting conflicting opinions.  He did say he has heard of guys installing a rear mounted tank that fits in the spare wheel area of the trunk which increases the volume of coolant 4X.  That and switching to a Royal Purple coolant product that assists in shedding heat through the heat exchanger.  I just don't want to keep throwing money at the issue if I can simply run the Cobra on the track instead.  More research.... :read:

1c%20(Large).jpg 

#7 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

• Northeast Region
  • 7,979 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:25 AM

I ran 50 minute sessions at Poconos on my GT500 with the stock tank and cap without issue. Can you tell where the coolant is leaking from? I have heard of aftermarket caps leaking but not the stock ones.

#8 OFFLINE   f2redpot

f2redpot

Too Much Fun

• Southern Plains Region
  • 369 posts
  • Joined 09-January 13
  • Region:Southern Plains
  • Interests:Track
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:33 AM

Check your intercooler pump. Mine went out and boiled my coolant.

#9 OFFLINE   ViperNC

ViperNC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Joined 23-December 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:40 AM

Check your intercooler pump. Mine went out and boiled my coolant.

Actually that is on my list of "to do's" today.  I am thinking that might be the problem as well.  How much did it cost to replace?

1c%20(Large).jpg 

#10 OFFLINE   ViperNC

ViperNC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Joined 23-December 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

Just cranked up the car with both the radiator and supercharger reservoir caps off.  Coolant is moving/flowing in the radiator reservoir.  Stagnant in the Supercharger reservoir at idle.  I did not have anyone available to rev the engine while I was checking, but I would think the coolant in the supercharger reservoir should be moving regardless... Yay.

1c%20(Large).jpg 

#11 OFFLINE   f2redpot

f2redpot

Too Much Fun

• Southern Plains Region
  • 369 posts
  • Joined 09-January 13
  • Region:Southern Plains
  • Interests:Track
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

My car would go into limp mode on the track when I hit the straights and try to get into boost. It threw a code for intercooler pump failure. Check to see that the pump is still getting power. If it has power but your tank doesn't look like a jacuzzi (no rev needed) then you have a bad pump.

Edited by f2redpot, 16 June 2017 - 12:50 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Bad Horse

Bad Horse

Bad Horse

• Great Lakes Region
  • 118 posts
  • Joined 19-October 05
  • Region:Other

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

My car would go into limp mode on the track when I hit the straights and try to get into boost. It threw a code for intercooler pump failure. Check to see that the pump is still getting power. If it has power but your tank doesn't look like a jacuzzi (no rev needed) then you have a bad pump.

Maybe you have an air pocket in the system.  If the pump is running squeeze the lower tank hose to burb the system, Pump does not run the  all time. Maybe you should install a manual pump override switch.  All it does is ground a wire at the pump relay.

Freedom isn't Free!

#13 OFFLINE   ViperNC

ViperNC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Joined 23-December 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

I ran 50 minute sessions at Poconos on my GT500 with the stock tank and cap without issue. Can you tell where the coolant is leaking from? I have heard of aftermarket caps leaking but not the stock ones.

Coolant was definitely coming from the cap... probably via the high pressure release valve.

Mine never threw the code or went into limp mode... but again I started to manage the problem and got out of the boost as much as possible. 

Maybe you have an air pocket in the system.  If the pump is running squeeze the lower tank hose to burb the system, Pump does not run the  all time. Maybe you should install a manual pump override switch.  All it does is ground a wire at the pump relay.

That is also a possibility I had not thought of and a good idea to install the override switch. 

Thanks to all for the comments and I welcome any more ideas.

1c%20(Large).jpg 

#14 OFFLINE   ViperNC

ViperNC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Joined 23-December 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

Did a little more research today, checked my fuses, checked for air lock, etc.  I'm pretty sure the pump failed.  There are some aftermarket pumps that offer greater GPM flow than stock.  Any recommendations?  Also saw a Moroso Mustang GT500 Oversized Dual Coolant/Supercharger Expansion Tank (07-12 GT500) that replaces both plastic tanks.  It appears this would use the coolant from the radiator and the heat exchanger to cool both the engine and supercharger simultaneously as one system rather than two.  Wonder what the pros/cons would be with this?

https://www.steeda.c...-369-63804.html

Edited by ViperNC, 17 June 2017 - 10:50 AM.

1c%20(Large).jpg 

#15 OFFLINE   sheppd01

sheppd01

Team Shelby Member

• Northeast Region
  • 1,109 posts
  • Joined 06-February 12
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:24 PM

I had the same problem on my KR. I tried to hand prime for what seemed like days. I would see the fluid in the tank move while priming but it didn't clear the air bubble.

I put a jumper on the pump relay and It felt like it was turning on but the fluid was not moving.

I finally was going to give up and buy a new pump. I was removing the pump with the jumper still in place. When the pump came loose from the bracket I saw the pump jump as the air pocket was kicked loose. It works great now lol. I have no idea how long it wasn't really pumping.

1_zpshx0cikmu.jpg

Team Shelby State Director West Virginia

Bored 20 Over                             1 7/8 Headers 3" H pipe

Ported heads / valves / intake     JLP Custom Cams / Cobra Jet Crank

Manley Pistons / H beams          Mongul Rod / Main Bearings

ARP Studs                                   KB Inner Cooler / Triple Pass Heat Exchanger

15% Overdrive Pulley                  Melling Oil Pump

McLeod Clutch

#16 OFFLINE   ViperNC

ViperNC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Joined 23-December 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:02 AM

Wow.... it makes me also wonder how long mine has not been working properly. This was the first event since last year.

1c%20(Large).jpg 

#17 OFFLINE   ViperNC

ViperNC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Joined 23-December 11
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:16 AM

Looks like my car is headed for the shop today.  Talked with my guy and we agree the pump is probably dead... and has been for a while.  Hopefully no other damage at this point.  He is recommending the Ford Racing intercooler pump so probably get that installed and maybe a new plastic reservoir just in case.  He did not recommend using the aluminum tank as that transfers heat. 

1c%20(Large).jpg 

#18 OFFLINE   ViperNC

ViperNC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Joined 23-December 11
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 09:09 AM

Update:

Well.... Feeling a little stupid now. As it turns out, the wiring harness pigtail was not fully clipped together and the pump works just fine. It's the one thing I did not check prior to taking to the repair shop. DOH! Replacing the coolant tank anyway to be on the safe side.

1c%20(Large).jpg 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users