After 5 months and about 1,300 miles (it's got to share fun driving duty with two other newer cars and 3 oldies), here are my impressions of my 2017 670hp auto Ruby Red/White Super Snake coupe:
After having had both a 550 hp and 662 hp GT500, this car is head and shoulders above them. First and foremost, the handling is superb! Almost as good as a Z06, IMHO (I've had one.) Power is relentless and smooth, thought I wouldn't like the auto but I do, although there are times I'd like to row through a manual box. The looks of the car are amazing, I get a lot of comments, see people taking pictures, etc. Interior is great, love the seats (did not get the optional seats). The sound is what it should be for a car like this, really has almost that dragster sound under full throttle as the RPMs increase. It's a bit on the raw and brash side in a very good way. Got the performance wheel studs and those attract quite a bit of attention. Oh, yes, and polished wheels. I think us old guys like polished better than black, at least this old guy does, and they complete the package.
Other things and some nits:
- At first, there was a fair amount of surging under steady throttle at lower speeds (around town), but that has smoothed out with time as the car has broken in.
- The brakes are floating rotors, and there was quite a bit of clicking from them when slowing to a stop. That sound has disappeared as more miles built up on the car.
- Line Lock does not work. Could this be because of the change in brakes?
- Sometimes the dash-top gauges do not work, and I have to unplug the module that connects to the OBDI port and plug it back in, then they work OK. This is only intermittent, not every time I start the car. Also, cannot program them for backlight color from an Android phone, only an Apple device. Android recognizes, but they don't listen.
- The rear edge of the hood shakes a fair amount at highway speeds, to the point where you wonder if the hood is latched tight. Could use a bit of reinforcing in that area.
- Bluetooth audio from my phone does not work with either Pandora or Sirius app. When first connecting, the sound is ok, but after several minutes on either service, the sound starts breaking up and getting choppy. I'm wondering if there is interference from the gauges and the module since they communicate by bluetooth also. Need to try connecting an iPod via bluetooth and see what happens.
- After two trial runs, I figured out how to get the best launch and turned a 12.6 @ 113.85 at Bandimere in Denver, about 5,800 ft. altitude, about 85 degree day. Almost full tank of gas and didn't fiddle with tire pressures, this was first time at track with this car and wanted to get a feel for it. A GT350 was also there, didn't run directly agains it, ran 14.2 Confirmed my decision to get SS instead of GT350. However, an S600 AMG Mercedes ran 11.9! I have an SL63 AMG that ran 12.29, with 100 less horsepower. Not complaining about the 1/4 time, just need some polishing and practice. SS should beat SL.
Overall, I love this car, and anything mentioned above is more quirks and idiosyncrasies that I can live with because the whole package is great. I've had a C7 Z06, and MUCH prefer this car. Better looks, better sound, equal if not more power, handles almost as well, less expensive and you don't see yourself coming and going. And ricer fanboys seem to know what it is and generally leave it alone.